PDA

View Full Version : Help with new wizard

chopencore
06-08-2014, 01:51 AM
I am at a loss on how to play wizard. I have scoured the forums and if this question is explained elsewhere - sorry for asking yet again.

My problem is with mana, I simply burn through my mana to be effective. Currently I am level 12 (10wizard/2rogue - following EllisDees build).
Should I just be using master's touch and meleeing?
What is my go-to killing spell (I was using sonic blast and fireball)?
Lastly - are there any recommendations which spells are must haves per level (I have been experimenting)?

Thanks in advance,

Chop

Wh070aa
06-08-2014, 03:03 AM
Jump, hatse, blurr (displacment, if needed), stone skin wand, Then put down firewall and/or acid rain, kite large crowds taught it, and doge stuff. Heal with aura. If you are in vampire, meleeing for neg levels with haste is not bad option, but as long as mobs are burning in firewall/acid rain/ice storm you should be mana efficient. Firewall is the longest spell, so its most mana efficient. You gotta kite them properly, and that takes some learning.

Stoneskin is mostly vs archers, you might make do with a spear block item, if you don't have plat.

Circle of death is not bad, when you get it, but you probably wont have DC and Spell pen for it to be of much use. (its really awesome, if you can get the DC for it). Get necrotic ray, when you can. Its sweet. (no metas 10 spellpoint cost, massive damage + neg level).
Niclacs/eldars for bosses.

Use Greater heroism and true seeing scrolls for utility.

What are you going for exactly? Burst nuking, AoE DPS kiting, or instakills? Because the build you named is for instakills, and you are doing Burst nuking, which is the worst mana efficiency wise, since the rouge levels destroy your spell points. The build is not that good too, since you will have spell pen problems.

You might need to get 2 cleric hirelings, ddor and refill your spell points with them as needed, if you want to use fireball/acid bolt spam as your main attack.

So yea, use firewall (or AoE DoT of your choice) and kite taught it. Use fireball or other burst only, if you know you gonna shrine/finish soon, or in the moments you need something dead now (mobs with trip, light damage casters).

Also since I am assuming you are not using hold monster/whatever, you might want to switch that focus out for Evocation(probably evocation) or conjuration(if you use acid and web).

The build you mention is one for holds (discoball, hold minster), and instakills (circle/finger/wail). You are playing like sorcerer. (Evocation nuker, with cheap spells and extra spell points).
I assume the build is intended for circle of death-ing trash mobs, and hold monser-ing stronger trash mobs, then nuking them wit the damage boost form hold.

I remember when this build was really good (the re-blanket update), but its bit outdated, and is not as solo/bad party member friendly.

If you have any more specific questions, please ask.

Rush007
06-10-2014, 08:50 AM
I've found necro/conjuration great as a first life wizard and on the mana pool. 3 mana web for AOE CC that doesn't need a spell penetration check and works on mostly everything is hard to beat. Gather up mobs, get them in a web and drop a firewall. The tactic gains in strength as you level gaining the AOE Necrotic SLA and cloudkill which does ok damage and damages con which hey, helps the necrotic SLA's and other fort save spells. Cloudkill also lasts a long time, but does not work on undead or constructs. Pick up acid blast for AOE nuke and more damge vs undead as sla's and cloudkill do not help there.

DirkTyrant
03-04-2015, 01:52 PM
better to gather them in a web and drop acid rain (both conjuration spells).

Your problem is that you need to focus on a speciality and not try to do everything. The 2 lvls of rogue put you behind the power curve with other toons of your lvl. Need more "mana"? Harper tree provides 30/30/40 spell point adds. Even better - the archmage line of enhancements. And a spell-point gear/item is mandatory. If you are in a party... just cc mobs and let the melees kill stuff... and save your sp. If you are soloing - going pale master helps with keeping you alive.... but it soaks up even more spell points.

You could try charming a few monsters.... and waiting for them to kill each other... especially if you have summoned a monster of your own (or have a pet like a skelly).

You can also BEG for other party members to pass you any spell point pots.
and never pass up a shrine...

and you can be more sp efficient by taking advantage of spells you have cast.... i.e. running mobs around and around your fire wall. Gathering mobs up before throwing that fireball - so they ALL get hit... rather than trying to kill them all one at a time.

But, no - don't try to ALSO be a melee wizard - if you did not build for that from the start. What was your plan when you made this toon?

Ancient
03-04-2015, 02:03 PM
I am at a loss on how to play wizard. I have scoured the forums and if this question is explained elsewhere - sorry for asking yet again.

My problem is with mana, I simply burn through my mana to be effective. Currently I am level 12 (10wizard/2rogue - following EllisDees build).
Should I just be using master's touch and meleeing?
What is my go-to killing spell (I was using sonic blast and fireball)?
Lastly - are there any recommendations which spells are must haves per level (I have been experimenting)?

Thanks in advance,

Chop

It is not what EllisDee's build is about, but I think the AM evocation SLAs are still a good way to kill with minimal energy use. Even better if you can fit in a 2 level splash of FVS.