PDA

View Full Version : Most common uses for UMD? - late teens/20

Jhaeran
05-20-2014, 03:18 PM
What are people usually using UMD for?

I have a bunch of wands and such but usually end up dumping them for lack of use and inventory space.

I always have:
Resurrection
Raise Dead
Heal
Teleport

What are the other must haves and possibly the UMD needed for them if on the higher side?

Trying to consider whether to punt on UMD entirely, in the sake of tossing a rogue splash, not needing +skill enhancements/items, +cha items, etc.

Any items that are worth using that might need UMD?
Any other spells that are worth having for frequent use (i.e. tensers)
Any wands that may actually be worth the infrequent use?

A lot of the stuff was really nice while levelling to fill in gaps, but at the higher levels - and at least moderately equipped - it seems less necessary.

Just to bring together some of the responses:
Shrine Buffs
Greater Heroism (11 minute scroll)
True Seeing (11 minute scroll)
Stoneskin (7 minute wand)
Resist Energy when U22 goes live (CL11 wand)

Utility:
Invisibility (or pots)

Pre-Combat Buffs
Displacement
Fire Shield
Tenser's Transformation
Elemental Weapons (Artificer Spells) usually to buff for the extra elemental damage
Protection from Energy (single element, good when you can prep for a fight you know will have a specific energy type thrown at you)
Protection From Elements (Extra protection from elemental damage) - Upgrade from Protection from Energy
Blur
Weapon alignment

During Combat:
Heal
Resurrection
Restoration
Gust of Wind/Break Enchantment

Post-Combat Recovery
Heal
Raise Dead
(Greater) Restoration

Kill the Barrels!
Cacophonic Verge

Leaving Quests
Greater Teleport

Public Instances
Teleport

Vellrad
05-20-2014, 03:31 PM
fireshield

Cap_Man
05-20-2014, 03:52 PM
For scrolls I carry all those above plus:

Greater Heroism
Displacement
Restoration

For wands:

Stone skin
Resist Energy (level 11 for 30 Resist - ship buff backup)

I think the UMD for GH is around 40

thegreatneil
05-20-2014, 03:54 PM
For the most part I find myself using umd for:
Tenser's Transformation
Heal
Greater teleport
Fire shield

Displacement, as I haven't made a GS clicke yet

Enoach
05-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Besides what others list I use it also for the following.

Elemental Weapons (Artificer Spells) usually to buff for the extra elemental damage
Protection from Energy (single element, good when you can prep for a fight you know will have a specific energy type thrown at you)
Protection From Elements (Extra protection from elemental damage) - Upgrade from Protection from Energy
Tenser's Transformation - Extra Melee power - Works well with a character not using DC spells
True Seeing (saves a gear slot)
Find Traps (Sacred Boost to search when cast by an Artificer you can get more with Scroll Bonus, for others it is small boost but sometimes one or two points can help)

Jhaeran
05-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Cool. I'll collate these above when I get home.

How about:

"I pre-buff via"
Greater Heroism
Stoneskin

"before battle I..."
Displacement
FireShield
Tenser's
Elemental Weapons

EllisDee37
05-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Shrine Buffs
Greater Heroism (11 minute scroll)
True Seeing (11 minute scroll)
Stoneskin (7 minute wand)
Resist Energy when U22 goes live (CL11 wand)

Pre-Combat Buffs
Displacement
Fire Shield
Tenser's Transformation

Post-Combat Recovery
Heal
Raise Dead
(Greater) Restoration

Kill the Barrels!
Cacophonic Verge

Leaving Quests
Greater Teleport

Public Instances
Teleport

I personally like use true chaos for my construct beaters and pure good for my throwers, and UMD lets me use both regardless of my alignment.

Thalone
05-20-2014, 05:03 PM
I avoid wands as they tend to get damaged and break. Not great to have broken magic in the middle of a quest chain.

In addition to what other people have listed, I use Blur, Nightshield (Magic Missile immunity), Magic Circle against Evil (Command), Invisibility, Gust of Wind/Break Enchantment (clear enemy AoEs--Cloudkill, Discoball, etc), Fireball (bust down doors if they're trapped, e.g., in that Necro 3 quest).

EllisDee37
05-20-2014, 10:21 PM
I avoid wands as they tend to get damaged and break. Not great to have broken magic in the middle of a quest chain.I dislike wands because you can't top them off like you can stacks of scrolls, but wands do have one nice advantage over scrolls: No ASF check.

Zoda
05-20-2014, 10:47 PM
I have a habbit of collecting and keeping stacks of rare scrolls in addition to the ones mentioned above.

Namely: PWK, Radiant Forcefield, Deadly Weapons, Dimension Door.

Ofc, their availablity restricts their usage, and all except DDoor requires very high umd (52-56-60 respectively), but I love having the option if really needed.

TrinityTurtle
05-21-2014, 11:45 AM
For me personally my umd goes to:

- Healing scrolls/wands of all levels appropriate to my umd score.
- Restoration scrolls/wands - because nothing annoys me as much as people running away from my buffs, not getting deathward, then screaming how many neg levels they have at my healers so I try not to do this to others.
- Some form of raising the dead - must help my party mates!
- Variety of buffs - arcane buffs for my divines, divine buffs for my arcanes, or both for my other toons that I think I'll need, true seeing is a favorite as I'm leveling.
- Public transit
- Alignment issues with weaponry - although this isn't as common anymore, occasionally I still use it.

Jhaeran
05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
updated op

EllisDee37
05-21-2014, 04:38 PM
updated opYou have True Seeing listed twice, both as a shrine buff and as a buff you do as you run up to a group of mobs. It's more of a shrine buff because it lasts 11 minutes.

Oxarhamar
05-26-2014, 04:43 PM
I have an old race restricted LVL 2 repeating crossbow with a UMD bypass.

UMD use to be great for those types of weapons race required was the old best possible loot drop for random loot lowing the level required to use items by a lot. Similar to wonderous craftsmanship. Too bad race required was removed from the loot tables.

Munkenmo
05-26-2014, 05:13 PM
It doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but ice storm scrolls are a semi-useful form of crowd control & damage with no save. I normally gather mobs until dungeon alert spikes, toss an ice storm scroll then proceed to melee within it.

You also get very good mileage out of icestorm & fireball scrolls in Inferno of the Damned.

Jhaeran
05-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Since I've been back I've been using it quite a bit and would need a much more self healing build to get rid of it completely.

Heal scrolls are working ok - possibly thinking about taking some mechanic enh to up the scroll effectiveness. Anyone have any luck with it?

Scroll cooldown is obnoxious :)

Displacement is amazing
I've got 2 items with an 11 min GH - rarely need to use a scroll, but nice to have them.
Tenser's is ok/good
Prot energy is ok/good

Teleport is way convenient.
Raise dead prevented a wipe today...

I was thinking about giving up UMD, but it'll be really tough. I just don't have all the clickies to simulate everything else.

Toro12
05-26-2014, 07:41 PM
I like to keep a stone to flesh scroll or two on hand incase a fleshie party member gets stoned.
Beats waiting around.

It is a rare (once or twice a life) problem but an annoying one