PDA

View Full Version : Shadar Kai or Half Elf?

TacoStand
05-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I am going on my 4th life and can't decide which way to go. I have run a pure Legend halfing assassin with an 18 rogue 2 ranger split and loved it. My problem is I was to TR and none of my guildies do, therefore I figured I need to go Shadar Kai to get back to epic quick to run with them again. What thoughts do you have on Shadar Kai vs. a Half Elf? Half elf gets AA tree if I splash ranger, Shadar Kai starts at level 15 :p What are the benefits of a Shadar Kai? Thanks in advance!

RustyTaco

unbongwah
05-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Reminder: Iconics have to level to cap, then get to ITR (or ER). It sounds like you plan to run epics regardless, but didn't want you to be surprised when you go to HTR and find out you can't.

Anyway, HE gets you heal amp, Dmg Boost (stacks w/Haste Boost), whatever dilly feat bonus you take, and access to AA tree if you choose. Apart from starting at lvl 15, SDK gets you +2 base DEX and their racial enhs, though so far I find them rather weaksauce.

Are you just looking for a pure melee Assassin or did you have something more unusual in mind?

Maelodic
05-19-2014, 10:13 AM
I am going on my 4th life and can't decide which way to go. I have run a pure Legend halfing assassin with an 18 rogue 2 ranger split and loved it. My problem is I was to TR and none of my guildies do, therefore I figured I need to go Shadar Kai to get back to epic quick to run with them again. What thoughts do you have on Shadar Kai vs. a Half Elf? Half elf gets AA tree if I splash ranger, Shadar Kai starts at level 15 :p What are the benefits of a Shadar Kai? Thanks in advance!

RustyTaco

I absolutely love my Shadar-Kai- I pretty a really deep analysis of why here. (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/427102-Ranger-to-Rogue-Transition?p=5315991&viewfull=1#post5315991)

Half-Elf bonuses are pretty much negated as a Rogue because of UMD- you'd just want to go human instead unless you're planning on being a Rogue archer, which I wouldn't recommend.

My two favorite Rogue builds are:
Hassan's Assassin (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/424338-Hassan-s-Assassin)
The Shadow Assassin (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/433981-The-Shadow-Assassin-A-Halfling-Assassin)

Shadai-Kai comes with a stacking ring that puts your assassinate DC up by 2, but human's have the potential for more.

TacoStand
05-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Reminder: Iconics have to level to cap, then get to ITR (or ER). It sounds like you plan to run epics regardless, but didn't want you to be surprised when you go to HTR and find out you can't.

Anyway, HE gets you heal amp, Dmg Boost (stacks w/Haste Boost), whatever dilly feat bonus you take, and access to AA tree if you choose. Apart from starting at lvl 15, SDK gets you +2 base DEX and their racial enhs, though so far I find them rather weaksauce.

Are you just looking for a pure melee Assassin or did you have something more unusual in mind?

Thanks for the reminder! I have run 4 epic lives on my sorc already and am 800k from 28 again so I was prepping. I want a self healing (think cocoon) pure assassin, assassinating 1 thing every 20 seconds. High INT, great reflexes from Insightful Reflexes. Staying in Shadowdancer most of the time but being able to go into Fury for raid (barring the Fury Shot nerf). I was a halfling so I'm use to the +2 DEX figured I would follow the same build as before, maybe look at a leveling planner to double check the stats.