PDA

View Full Version : Trollerific Suggetion for Epic Green Steel

Teh_Troll
05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Once in a while I feel charitable, today I will share my latest brilliant idea with you mammals free of charge.

Okay . . . we all want Epic Shroud with Epic Green Steel.

BUT . . . Turbine just released a new pack with two raid with craftable weapons. If Turbine did make Epic Green Steel they would either need to make it weaker than Thunderforged, in which case nobody would bother, or stronger which would invalidate the Thunderforged content. One way or another BOTH options are bad.

Where Turbine has gone horribly wrong since MOTU is loot isn't worth the pixels it's printed on since almost everything gets invalidated and update or two later or was complete garbage in the first place. Every update makes the end-game smaller instead of larger, this is a terrible way to do this.

The 'old' Turbine didn't do this. Pre-MoTU people were still running Titan, Reaver, VOD, HoX, etc . . . for loot because though newer loot was available the old raids still had stuff worth pursuing. Even LoB didn't invalidate Green Steel, it's added to the game instead of making it smaller.

The last thing the game needs right now is to be made smaller . . . so how do you add Epic Green Steel to the game without making the loot that came before it worthless?

The answer is Green Steel AUGMENTS and not items. Instead of making a Epic Lightning II Khopesh you'd make a Epic Lightning II Red Crystal that would add the Holy/shock/shock/Lightning Strike to whatever weapons you slot it in.

Same with items . . . Blue or yellow Crystals. Slot Con-op into a slot on one of your other items.

This solution will give people something to grind for WITHOUT INVALIDATING ANY OTHER CONTENT. Makes the game larger, not smaller.

So there it is mammals. I have many other brilliant ideas that can save DDO but the rest aren't free. But as always, my rates are reasonable.

stoopid_cowboy
05-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I could totally endorse Epic GS Augments!

But I am still also waiting for Epic Tempest Spine too...

Cardtrick
05-08-2014, 03:55 PM
This is sort of brilliant. I mean, the power creep would be insane. But it already is anyway, so I'm not sure how much that matters.

Teh_Troll
05-08-2014, 03:59 PM
This is sort of brilliant. I mean, the power creep would be insane. But it already is anyway, so I'm not sure how much that matters.

We've already hit full-****** with the power-creep. What I don't want is to see yet another set of raids invalidated by something new.

stoopid_cowboy
05-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Not really... Would add a little power creep, but not a huge amount. How much would a LitII augment add to a fight against an EE mob with 200K hp? The 2% chance to do 600 damage would be pretty insignificant.

Scraap
05-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Heck, make it a generic raid system template:

Core Item:
T1 = ability + slot.
T2 = second/upgraded ability + 2nd slot.
T3 = third/further upgrade + 3rd slot.
T4 = automatically sacrifices halflings.

Augs keyed for each tier.

Teh_Troll
05-08-2014, 04:04 PM
T4 = automatically sacrifices halflings.

Augs keyed for each tier.

I believe the Shroud Alters should require a halfling as a crafting ingredient.

Teh_Troll
05-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Not really... Would add a little power creep, but not a huge amount. How much would a LitII augment add to a fight against an EE mob with 200K hp? The 2% chance to do 600 damage would be pretty insignificant.

Compared to the power that is Mortal Fear it wouldn't even matter on trash.

Against red/purple it would be nice enough to grind for.

stoopid_cowboy
05-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Compared to the power that is Mortal Fear it wouldn't even matter on trash.

More proof that monks need to be njerfed

Teh_Troll
05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
More proof that monks need to be njerfed

Far be it from me to ever suggest that happen, but that's off topic.

Cardtrick
05-08-2014, 05:09 PM

Maybe I misunderstood -- I thought his suggestion was to add all tiers of Shroud. So rather than just the 2% chance to do 600 damage, you'd also be adding the Holy, Shocking Burst, and Shocking Blast effects.

stoopid_cowboy
05-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Maybe I misunderstood -- I thought his suggestion was to add all tiers of Shroud. So rather than just the 2% chance to do 600 damage, you'd also be adding the Holy, Shocking Burst, and Shocking Blast effects.

Even still with trash mobs having 50k+ hp, the minute extra damage from the other adders may shorten the fight a few seconds. In extreme cases it could shorten the fight a minute or two.
But after all, who wants to beat on a red named trash mob for 5 minutes?

(enter Teh_Troll about the red named trash mobs)

Memnir
05-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Best/most-workable Epic Shroud suggestion I've seen in a while.

http://i.imgur.com/7CoDfLI.gif

dontmater
05-08-2014, 06:49 PM
sounds fun, and why not. gives a reason to make more GS items/weapons for the game.
maybe if they where to do this they could make the first portal stay open for longer. :D
as long as they dont break more stuff im for it

PNellesen
05-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Great idea.

+1 Hjealz to you.

Saekee
05-09-2014, 09:14 AM
excellent idea--maybe also update cannith crafting to allow some basic augment crafting as well, for lower-level stuff.

Why not extend this to all raids--have them able to drop materials for augment crafting? That would redeem all of the old ones instead of just focusing on an idea for the Shroud? Or some other variant like this?

Teh_Troll
05-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Why not extend this to all raids--have them able to drop materials for augment crafting? That would redeem all of the old ones instead of just focusing on an idea for the Shroud? Or some other variant like this?

The most important thing for Turbine to do is to NOT have new content make old content a waste of time. In the golden age of DDO end-game they managed to balance this fine.

Could you imagine a Claw Set Blue Augment? Or a Tharnes Yellow Crystal?

It's not a terrible idea for Epicifying old stuff as Augments will never invalidate actual gear.

Scraap
05-09-2014, 12:41 PM
The most important thing for Turbine to do is to NOT have new content make old content a waste of time. In the golden age of DDO end-game they managed to balance this fine.

Could you imagine a Claw Set Blue Augment? Or a Tharnes Yellow Crystal?

It's not a terrible idea for Epicifying old stuff as Augments will never invalidate actual gear.

Yeah, pretty much what I was driving at with the template notion-tweak above. Say take your hound shield, call the hjeel-on-hit chance it's iconic ability (meaning that's where it drops, period), give it 3 aug slots that can fit ones from any raid so you can mixnmatch, done.

Certon
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Once in a while I feel charitable, today I will share my latest brilliant idea with you mammals free of charge.

BUT . . . Turbine just released a new pack with two raid with craftable weapons. If Turbine did make Epic Green Steel they would either need to make it weaker than Thunderforged, in which case nobody would bother, or stronger which would invalidate the Thunderforged content. One way or another BOTH options are bad.

Where Turbine has gone horribly wrong since MOTU is loot isn't worth the pixels it's printed on since almost everything gets invalidated and update or two later or was complete garbage in the first place. Every update makes the end-game smaller instead of larger, this is a terrible way to do this.

The 'old' Turbine didn't do this. Pre-MoTU people were still running Titan, Reaver, VOD, HoX, etc . . . for loot because though newer loot was available the old raids still had stuff worth pursuing. Even LoB didn't invalidate Green Steel, it's added to the game instead of making it smaller.

The last thing the game needs right now is to be made smaller . . . so how do you add Epic Green Steel to the game without making the loot that came before it worthless?

The answer is Green Steel AUGMENTS and not items. Instead of making a Epic Lightning II Khopesh you'd make a Epic Lightning II Red Crystal that would add the Holy/shock/shock/Lightning Strike to whatever weapons you slot it in.

Same with items . . . Blue or yellow Crystals. Slot Con-op into a slot on one of your other items.

This solution will give people something to grind for WITHOUT INVALIDATING ANY OTHER CONTENT. Makes the game larger, not smaller.

So there it is mammals. I have many other brilliant ideas that can save DDO but the rest aren't free. But as always, my rates are reasonable.

I want to say something negative, but this... is a BRILLIANT idea! Turn greensteel into augments!

Imagine slotting THREE greensteel augments into Adamantine Knuckles! That would be INSANE!

Teh_Troll
05-09-2014, 03:18 PM
I want to say something negative, but this... is a BRILLIANT idea! Turn greensteel into augments!

The first sign of evolution is recognizing my brilliance.

Imagine slotting THREE greensteel augments into Adamantine Knuckles! That would be INSANE!

True, and probably a hell of a grind to get. Possibly a for balance issues maybe only one per item but that's a detail the devil can figure out later.

Krelar
05-09-2014, 04:04 PM
True, and probably a hell of a grind to get. Possibly a for balance issues maybe only one per item but that's a detail the devil can figure out later.

Perhaps the augments have something similar to the taint of shavarath so you can only slot multiple augments into an item if you cleanse the augments first?

Hafeal
05-09-2014, 04:11 PM
You keep up this kind of activity and we'll have to rename you Teh_Fanbois. And add a picture of you eating vegetables with Halflings as your forum pic.

Just sayin'.
:cool:

HungarianRhapsody
05-09-2014, 04:29 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Facebook_like_thumb.png

Franke
05-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Dare I say it....../signed.

An excellent suggestion.

Braegan
05-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Probably the best Epic GS idea I've heard so far.

Arcanegrin
05-12-2014, 01:42 AM
/signed

Best way to add GS to epics I've seen.

----

From the Turbine point of view they could make a killing selling jeweler's toolkits.

Teh_Troll
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
From the Turbine point of view they could make a killing selling jeweler's toolkits.

Yup. A win for all parties involved.

Gljosh
05-12-2014, 11:15 AM
YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!! Do this please!!!!! I often thought that a Raid that turned Trinkets into Augments would be sweet or even added augment slots but this is Einstein-Aristotle-Descartes-Sheldon Brilliance!

Jeremiah179
05-12-2014, 11:38 AM
/Signed

I really like the idea of opening up all "old" epic items into potential augments.

I think it would be fine if it isn't always 1-1, in other words - we have to learn what the new augments give. Sorry to the poor fool who tries to augment his Sword of Shadows! hehe

I think it would make sense to have these be in special slots like purple and orange they recently introduced.

I like the idea of limiting choices by having some sort of taint or whatever so that you could only have 2-3 of these augments equipped at any one time.

If ML starts at 28 or perhaps 26 to throw us a bone or 26/28/30 depending on powers... the power creep will not be terrible.

Another choice is the new type of augments that level with you...

A quest or method to craft an augment slot onto an item that is challenging could be cool - so people could make some of the slots on existing items - basically high level twink gear... Augments slots could cost the appropriate amount of levels to add, then the augment would not raise it more...

Psiandron
05-12-2014, 11:39 AM
I have to admit this sounds like a win.

If for some reason Turbine chooses not to go this route, still some excellent advice about balancing loot and keeping older content pertinent to the game.

Teh_Troll
05-12-2014, 12:00 PM
/Signed

I really like the idea of opening up all "old" epic items into potential augments.

Litany of the dead . . . as a Colorless augment!

Excuse, I think I soiled my loincloth . . .

Jeremiah179
05-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Litany of the dead . . . as a Colorless augment!

Excuse, I think I soiled my loincloth . . .

Lol - maybe more like, turn the page, and the ability bonus as an orange augment if you followed the hard recipe and would be ML28 or ML30...

Good thing your loincloth is usually soiled anyhow...so no harm.

**edit** and someone would have to risk their Epic Litany first and tell us what happened! They need to leave some things for us to find out on live and not have a full chart published 2 weeks before it even comes out...lol

Sokól
05-12-2014, 12:22 PM
This is a Really good idea because this can save so much time, no new artwork for weapons/items maybe just some shimmering Troll color on the weapons :)

You will need to cleanse the augment before adding a new 1 at least on items. Would love to have a GS sp and hp augment on my caster for example.

Turbine do this FAST this will keep us busy for a long time!

Teh_Troll
05-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Turbine do this FAST this will keep us busy for a long time!

It would wouldn't it? Like an instant end-game.

Seikojin
05-12-2014, 12:27 PM
I think GS augments alone is worth the price of admission. Or making it so Epic Vale can turn any named item into an augment would be a really powerful, versatile, and possibly buggy feature. Perhaps craft GS augments, or turn non-crafted items into augments (therefore leaving Alchemical and Thunderforged alone, and crazy cannith stuff too). But allowing unlocked items to be turned into augments.

Wonder what their sentient items are going to be like.

Arcanegrin
05-13-2014, 04:06 AM
The end game with this system would work pretty well. No matter how many epic raids they open up, you would still need your epic vale augments to make them great.

If every end game item you have needs 1-2 vale augments we'd all end up running this quite a bit.

Kalevor
05-13-2014, 05:49 AM
Like the suggestion

Bradik_Losdar
05-14-2014, 04:30 PM
I love this idea...
...if the OP is suggesting we get to upgrade our existing equipment with augments, and not have to grind for BOTH new (slotted) equipment and then grind some more for the augments.

It wasn't that clear in the first post to me (and it should be crystal clear to Turbine) - I don't want to waste the massive amount of effort I put into making these things, just to have to toss them and make them AGAIN so they have slots to take the Epic augments.

That idea I would NOT like - and certainly not grind for.

Jeremiah179
05-14-2014, 05:05 PM
I love this idea...
...if the OP is suggesting we get to upgrade our existing equipment with augments, and not have to grind for BOTH new (slotted) equipment and then grind some more for the augments.

It wasn't that clear in the first post to me (and it should be crystal clear to Turbine) - I don't want to waste the massive amount of effort I put into making these things, just to have to toss them and make them AGAIN so they have slots to take the Epic augments.

That idea I would NOT like - and certainly not grind for.

Hmmm no - I do not think you understand. We are saying take that item that you worked so hard for, and crunch it into an augment. So, let us consider green steel only, your Con/Opp item for instance is crunched and made into an augment that can be put into new equipment of higher level. Your new Epic Item gets to also have the Con/Opp effect on it.

Adding the ability to turn OLD game items into NEW game augments could add endless variety to new end game items of level 26+ say, giving people a lot of variety and customization ability of gear.

**edit** In a way, this is VERY similar to what they did with the voice/mantle augment crunch...

Bradik_Losdar
05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Hmmm no - I do not think you understand. We are saying take that item that you worked so hard for, and crunch it into an augment. So, let us consider green steel only, your Con/Opp item for instance is crunched and made into an augment that can be put into new equipment of higher level. Your new Epic Item gets to also have the Con/Opp effect on it.

Adding the ability to turn OLD game items into NEW game augments could add endless variety to new end game items of level 26+ say, giving people a lot of variety and customization ability of gear.

**edit** In a way, this is VERY similar to what they did with the voice/mantle augment crunch...

Ah, that makes things a bit more clear. Thank you!

So going by this info, we could use existing green steel items (or those we make) and 'crunch' them down into augments to slot into Thunderholme (or other end game craftable) items to enhance those with the characteristics of the original green steel item.

How would this work in-game? Would only the most powerful effect from the green steel item be used? Would ALL the effects be transferred to the augment? Would only some effects (like a maximum of 3? 4? 5?) be transferred?

It takes a lot of time and effort to make GS items - I would want to make sure that that effort wasn't wasted. The augment should justify all that work.

doubledge
05-21-2014, 10:29 PM
I'd be fine with just a lightning strike augment... however if these changes came around there'd be a huge influx of crafted TTS weapons... heh. imagine a DECENT weapon with uncapped TTS.

Bridge_Dweller
05-21-2014, 10:41 PM
i'd be fine with just a lightning strike augment... However if these changes came around there'd be a huge influx of crafted tts weapons... Heh. Imagine a decent weapon with uncapped tts.

tts?

Silken-Akira
05-22-2014, 02:11 AM
+1 for the idea
(what does disturb me more the last month or so, is the fact that you are saying way too much things that just come over too smart for a Troll. You sure aren't a crossbreed or something?)

SaIamander
05-22-2014, 03:41 AM
tts?

Trap teh Soul!!

doubledge
05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
tts?

TTs weapons are dual shard shock/unholy.

Dps wise they are pathetic. A sample weapon would be shock/evil burst/shocking blast.

TTs adds a proc that sometimes casts "trap the soul" without cost on-hit, and since that cost it curcumvents is so massive, it's an interesting item.

(TTS is like Finger of death except much more expensive and less versatile. It also can hit undead.)

Bridge_Dweller
05-22-2014, 05:50 PM
TTs weapons are dual shard shock/unholy.

Dps wise they are pathetic. A sample weapon would be shock/evil burst/shocking blast.

TTs adds a proc that sometimes casts "trap the soul" without cost on-hit, and since that cost it curcumvents is so massive, it's an interesting item.

(TTS is like Finger of death except much more expensive and less versatile. It also can hit undead.)

And has a save with a pathetic DC.

doubledge
05-22-2014, 05:53 PM
And has a save with a pathetic DC.

By less versatile i mean "anything above level 20"

MrChipinator
05-28-2014, 01:29 PM
What options would these augments add for casters? Do not think we need more spell power or crit chance, so I'm curious if it would be +DC's to cover what your TF item might not have? Also, would Concordant Opposition or other guards really be worth it? The amount of times a Displaced/blah blah caster gets hit is already intentionally low, and when they do get hit it's for 150+ damage...so how much SP or damage returned would they get back for such hefty poundings?

While I love the basis of the augment idea, I suppose I'm just worried that it will turn into a "Lit II / Min II / Conc Opp" and any others wouldn't be nearly as good.

Bridge_Dweller
05-28-2014, 02:12 PM
While I love the basis of the augment idea, I suppose I'm just worried that it will turn into a "Lit II / Min II / Conc Opp" and any others wouldn't be nearly as good.

Lightning II would be strong, that's pretty much a given.

Mineral II would be as well IF mob/boss DR actually made a comeback to the point where bypassing it made a difference. Hopefully the level cap increases will see us fighting more fiends and less CR70 rats so that might become valuable.

Earth-grab would be garbage with the DCs as low as they are. It would need to have the DC raised to a 60 or more to matter.

Triple-Positive would make for the mother of all undead-beaters.

What rogue wouldn't want radiance on there CITW/TF weapons?

The most common GS made back in the day would still retain it's value if this new system were implemented.

MrChipinator
05-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Those are good points, but I think that so long as all DC's were appropriately adjusted, and they had nifty little bonus effects, perhaps Radiance II could give a special stack of vulnerability that only worked for sneak damage, I would see how it would pay to have a wide variation of such augments/weapons slots.

doubledge
05-28-2014, 11:27 PM
What rogue wouldn't want radiance on there CITW/TF weapons?

You mean, like Celestia?

Zibowskij
05-29-2014, 12:35 AM
Great idea
/signed

Allorian
05-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Love the idea

/signed

Ryethiel
06-01-2014, 11:41 AM
"GreenSteel Ruby of HJEAL ME!"

Honestly though... All the inevitable Power Creep aside. I am absolutely LOVING the bloody hell out of this idea!!! It would also be eternally fun to play 'The Shroud' at Cap, and actually have it be challenging once again!

/Signed with the blood of a Halfling.
:D:D:D:D:D

Merlin-ator
06-01-2014, 01:31 PM
That's a brilliant idea! One suggestion, though - Give GS augments a "Marked by Shavarath" effect (on items/armor) or a "Taint of Shavarath" (on weapons) when slotted. Alternately, augment blanks could only be available on epic Shroud 20th lists. Just because power creep has gone full ****** doesn't mean we still can't try to play psychiatrist.

Marked by Shavarath - Gives the effect of wearing two uncleansed GS items. One Essence of Cleansing reverts this to a normal Taint of Shavarath, another Essence removes it completely.

doubledge
06-01-2014, 03:13 PM
That's a brilliant idea! One suggestion, though - Give GS augments a "Claimed by Shavarath" effect (on items/armor) or a "Taint of Shavarath" (on weapons) when slotted. Alternately, augment blanks could only be available on epic Shroud 20th lists. Just because power creep has gone full ****** doesn't mean we still can't try to play psychiatrist.

Claimed by Shavarath - Gives the effect of wearing two uncleansed GS items. One Essence of Cleansing reverts this to a normal Taint of Shavarath, another Essence removes it completely.
I'd also throw on "this item gives a negative level to good aligned wielders and unequips itself upon death" onto claimed by shavarath as well.

As for the original idea, it appears i haven't signed it already.
/signed.

soulaeon
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
/signed

I love this idea. They could be purple or orange so that we arent filling up all the lesser colored slots with these.
At level 27, I have yet to replace my Concordant Opposition goggles.

Bridge_Dweller
06-01-2014, 07:04 PM
"

/signed with the blood of a halfling.
:d:d:d:d:d

lol

LightBear
06-08-2014, 06:43 AM

Will you stop posting my suggestions before I have worked them out myself!
Geesh, what has this world come to if you can't even trust a troll anymore.

But you forgot the part where I said it would make any item you slot it into ml:30.

;)

theis
06-08-2014, 08:13 AM
I haven't ran shroud in ages.. cause i dont nees to.. but gs augs.. id be down... great idea

EllisDee37
06-08-2014, 08:45 AM
/signed

silinteresting
06-08-2014, 10:26 AM
wow i got to say this is a bloody brilliant idea, well done.

your friend sil :)

Stoner81
08-13-2014, 08:12 AM
/signed a million times over!

Stoner81.

doubledge
08-13-2014, 05:08 PM
I for one, approve of this thread necro.

Still a good idea.

Grailhawk
11-07-2014, 12:55 PM
This needs to be bumped its to good an idea to let die.

Nachomammashouse
11-07-2014, 01:16 PM
This needs to be bumped its to good an idea to let die.

Great idea. I'm glad you bumped it, as this is the first I've heard of it :)

Aelonwy
11-10-2014, 09:39 PM
/signed

This is a great idea, with plenty of applications in other areas of the game not just Epic vale and solves the problem of not enough to do at cap, if they open up all raids to include some augment crafting or epic-ify some older raids to have this augment element as well, without invalidating existing epic loot, (more or less post-MotU loot.)

MadCookieQueen
01-10-2015, 08:20 AM
In the wake of the Producer's Letter...this deserves a MAJOR bump and attention.

This idea is too awesome to let go away.

Vellrad
01-10-2015, 09:00 AM
No its not, its terrible idea of power creep of about that at least quadruples DPS of all characters.

kauetomaz
01-21-2015, 07:46 PM

this actually makes a lot of sense, that said we know sense is not a part of this game thus far it will never be implemented =/

TheDr0wRanger
01-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Bumped
\Signed

I want this

doubledge
01-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Now that i think about it a bit more, I'm pretty sure if the augs gave the WHOLE bonus of the GS, they'd be op. It'd be better if they instead gave just some of the bonuses, likely the Tier3 dualshard and another.

Slapping 3 augments that grant Holy/goodburst/goodblast/super disruption into a set of adamantine knuckles would be a bit broken, no?

(6d6 + 3d6 + crit + crit +18d6 vs undead + triple disruption (450 damage on vorp))... a bit.

Infiltraitor
01-24-2015, 09:36 PM
/Signed

Vellrad
01-25-2015, 04:52 AM
If they'd give such OP augments, the next gear they will produce willhave to instalkill everything it hits to be worth of collecting. too mcuh power creep, too op bad idea

Infiltraitor
01-25-2015, 01:50 PM
If they'd give such OP augments, the next gear they will produce willhave to instalkill everything it hits to be worth of collecting. too mcuh power creep, too op bad idea

Adding Min 2 on Thunderforged would be an extra 1% dps.
Adding Lit 2 on Thunderforged would be an extra 5% extra dps.
Adding Crushing Wave would be redundant because we already have that augment.

But we would be basely breaking even due to giving up and unslotting the Ruby Eye of X.

At best, we would add every kind of guard effect on our gear. Which would be a "free" 30 DPS on builds that do over 2000 DPS.

If Turbine were smart, they would make +18 Weapon Enchantment bonus augments since this would make even dead content weapons viable again by upgrading garbage items into niche items, while adding LESS damage than a Ruby Eye would add.