PDA

View Full Version : Melee player tiring out a healing/caster cleric - gear slot question

MacRighteous
05-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Hi

For the past 6 years of on and off adventuring in DDO I've mostly played melee characters: Fighter/splashes, Ranger/splashes and my personal favorite to play: Paladin/splashes.
I've tried other classes, Palemaster, Wiz/rog, Druid and Bard/splashes etc, but I pretty much sucked at casting... anyway, I've played Clerics before but mostly focused on melee and casting for self healing / survivability and played them very much like I would a Paladin.

I recently found a build and a good beginning guide to playing a pure healing/offensive casting cleric and I'm kind of digging it - it's a trip and against my instincts to not physically engage a mob and just learn to handle them through casting, SLA's and CC... (I'm finding if you don't get hit, you don't take damage - you don't need a lot of healing and you don't have hefty repair bills - hmmm? Who would of thunk?) Anyway that's just my experience up to level 8.

My hope is to use this build as a sort of caster primer and learn how to /castspellforfunandprofit and eventually not suck so much with my other casters - already, just playing around with my metamagic feats and SLA's I have learned a lot about amping spells - preserving SPs - landing crits - hitting harder and which spells suck and which ones don't suck as much - hey -I'm only level 8 :/

Which brings me to the question of Casting cleric gear slots... right around level 8 (on my melee characters) is where I start keeping an eye out for particular stats and enhancements in particular slots so I don't have a lot of re-gearing as I get higher in level; For example as a Paladin (and mostly any melee really) I would get the Red Fens gear and then swap out for the Sora Kell gear later, keeping Wis on the head slot, Str on the Hands and Chr on a ring... Con and FL on a belt - Heavy fort on the neck, that sort of thing.

Looking through the wiki at the loot table coming up for my next 4 level or so I am at a lost of what gear to grind out as I play...

(Note about my play style : I mostly play Solo, but I do dual+ box when I have a mind to and I am not against bringing in my higher level mighty-mouse and nanny-bot builds to help me get the lootz i'm after - I am not in a rush to level, dont give a S*** about experience points/bravery bonuses or epeening and I have never made it out of the heroic levels - I don't group (save occasional static grouping with RL friends and family) and I only raid the ones I can do solo with dual box and higher level support. My deal is I make up stories in my mind about my little virtual dolls and roleplay with myself (LOL) and incorporate the grinding of specific gear into my little dramas...)

OK, so keeping that in mind what advice can you give me about 7 to 12th level pure casting Cleric gear - best stat/enhancement in slots - must haves - where to look - and what to replace it with at higher levels (15 to 20 cap) etc

The Sora Kell gear doesn't seem to do it for me on a casting cleric - the set bonus is useless if I don't plan to swing a weapon - right? Or am i missing something?

Anyways thanks in advance, I appreciate any comments you may have and happy hunting.

MacR

(EDIT - so apparently you cant edit typos in your subject header - that should be "trying" for all you OCD'ers and GN's out there.) :)

SirValentine
05-04-2014, 02:15 PM
...I start keeping an eye out for particular stats and enhancements in particular slots so I don't have a lot of re-gearing as I get higher in level

That's tough to pull off. I tend to do major gear shuffles every couple levels.

OK, so keeping that in mind what advice can you give me about 7 to 12th level pure casting Cleric gear - best stat/enhancement in slots - must haves - where to look - and what to replace it with at higher levels (15 to 20 cap) etc

Well, as for the higher levels...I'd set aside Goggles slot as your Wisdom slot. You can get +7 Wisdom on named Goggles (Shadowsight) at level 15, and keep replacing them until you've got +11 Wisdom on the EE version of the same item at level 27.

Other than that, and a couple nice raid items you might not have (quiver and trinket from Abbot), I don't really keep some specific stat in some specific slot.

The Sora Kell gear doesn't seem to do it for me on a casting cleric - the set bonus is useless if I don't plan to swing a weapon - right? Or am i missing something?

The items aren't bad on their own, and I guess you missed that the set bonus does give 40 Potency.

MacRighteous
05-04-2014, 02:54 PM

The items aren't bad on their own, and I guess you missed that the set bonus does give 40 Potency.

Thanks for the reply and advice - I didn't mention that I have a high level crafter and have already crafted
Power/Wizardry, Devotion/Potency, spell pen and undead turning scepters to swap out - plus a adamantine full plate of invun+(soon to add life shield) a some shields with some other healing/caster/fort/save and turning enhancements... I'm finding swaping out combinations of this gear for situations to be a good alternative and diversion to swinging a two-hander at everything that moves...

I'm not opposed to the Wrath set - I grind it out for every melee - I was just wondering if there was other gear at that level that clerics go after?

MacR

cru121
05-05-2014, 01:50 AM
consider slotting (crafted) evocation focus II items (ML7). or other school if needed (necro?). If you own Wheloon, the +4 evocation focus necklace (ML15) is a must-have if you're evoking a lot. +1 evocation focus augment (ml16, you can get it from gianthold traders) stacks with items (I am often using two-slot lootgen goggles, crafted blindness ward of persuasion/concentration/sustenance, Y: Evoc.Focus, C: +5 secondary ability, e.g. str for carrying).

spell power and spell lore: depending on what you're using. usually radiance, devotion, impact (bb), combustion (if using the Holy Smite SLA). Or nullification if using the dark side of divine disciple. Lot of stuff to fit in. non-weapon source of spell power/lore can be often quite valuable.

crafted efficient empower healing shield of healing lore (or other). can come with a slot, red for spell power or blue for stuff.

My first lifers are usually geared with bta/crafted/unbound stuff, and I tend to regear at level 15 with Wheloon end rewards.

MacRighteous
05-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the tips guys - I appreciated it - it takes me awhile to absorb what is going on in these threads as I dont quite have all the casting acronyms and shorthand down yet. But every bit of advice is opening up my game to a whole other side of DDO giving me more bang for my investments - and that is awesome.

Thanks again.

MacR

Panzermeyer
05-07-2014, 12:17 PM
If you are a shield user there is an excellent shield out of the Teir 2 necro quests I believe. Might be teir 3. You get it from turning in the scarabs. Teir 3 turn in that is Dalorent's Seal ML 10.

Wall of Wood is also a good cleric shield.

Though if you are going strict caster you will likely find that you want too sticks in your hands to boost as much spell power/lore as possible.

Oh Spell Power will boost the damage a particular element does, while spell lore will boost your chances at criting with a particular spell element.

Blue Dragon Scale Armor is worth while. Though Cleric's can wear heavy armor, if you are strictly a caster type, then you might likely want to consider keeping in robes. As once you get BB jumping around and kiting is pretty common and standard. Robes will just keep you more mobile for casting.

Your wisdom is your main DC stat and you will want to keep as high as you can.

Slot the highest spell power you can depending on the spells you use.

Radiance - for light spells
Devotion - for healing power
Kinetic - for force (Blade Barrier)
Combustion - for fire based spells

The shamanic fetish out of Cabal for One in GH is great for Radiance and Devotion and a slot. And it is a trinket which tends to make sure you are not taking any other slot up.

Keep your charisma high for turning undead. Which will be very effective at heroic levels. You will burn through Necropolis like you never did on a melee. However most find that they have not properly scaled turning and it is lack luster in epic content. Charisma does have a huge impact on how many turns you have, which a huge number of enhancements are keyed off of, particularly from the Radiance Servant tree.

Don't worry about spell pen too much till the higher levels. You are mainly going to get into spell pen issues in the vale and typically with your insta death spells. Most the other combat spells you have don't have a spell pen check.

painkiller3
05-07-2014, 01:54 PM

The shamanic fetish out of Cabal for One in GH is great for Radiance and Devotion and a slot. And it is a trinket which tends to make sure you are not taking any other slot up.

as mentined above, there's also a heroic forgotten light (heroic normal is ML16) that will cover most of your needs
http://ddowiki.com/images/Forgotten_Light_%28Level_16%29.png
and they are cheap on the AH as well. there are elite, epic, etc versions that are slightly more powerful as well. this used to require you being good but that appears to have been removed according to the wiki

MacRighteous
05-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Great tips guys - Yeah, Forgotten Light was put on my radar from feedback I am getting in the Necro-Cleric thread (which BTW is the build I am referring to in the OP)
So based on everything thats been said my next 5 or 6 levels is going to roughly look like this:

Epics
Levels
ML
Collectables
Familiarity
My chance to actually obtain before I become burnt/bored/see a squirrel

epic
Red Fens
Mire+swaps
Sets
Well known
100.00%

Relics
Nightforge/all
Adamantine Ore
Well known
100.00%

9 – 12
(Necro 3)
Shield+swaps
Eerie Scarab Powder
New
?

epic
10 – 14
Demon Sand
Torc+swaps
Pieces
Known
75 to 100%

Invaders
Scepter
Outsider Tokens
New
?

12 – 13
Lordsmarch
Sora Kell
Set
Well known
100.00%

13 – 14
Attack
Sora Kell
Upgrade ( SK Seals)
Well known
100.00%

epic
13 – 15
Gianthold
Elf + swaps
Ancient Elven Relics
Familiar
50 to 75%?

14 – 16
Gianthold
Dragon+swaps
Blue Dragon Scales
Familiar
50 to 75%?

Hopefully ending up geared something like this at level 15/16:

By Level 16

Head: Teraza's Perfect Sight

Eyes: ?? Concentration? Swaps/ utility/ twink

Neck: Torc or Nightforge Gorget (Vitality +20) + swaps

Back: Roc/Zepher/Invisibility ?

Wrist: Nightforge Armbands (Spell Points)

Hand: Maenya's Iron Fist

Waist: Crafted Con/ (Heavy Fort?) + swaps

Feet: Boots of the Mire

Ring: Ring of the Mire

Ring: Katra's Razor Wit

Trinket: Crafted Efficient Maximize II of Kinetic Lore V+ swaps/ twink (voice, jerky etc)

Body: Blue Dragonplate

Mainhand: Scepter of Healing + Crafted swap scepters of spell blah-blah

Offhand: Dalorent's Seal + crafted swaps: scepters/ shields /orbs?

I better put on some coffee...

MacR

EDIT: Not sure why the site formatted the columns so weird - IDGWIS: (I didn't get what I see)

MacRighteous
05-09-2014, 10:01 AM
UPDATE: Got everything I needed out of Red Fens (Marshwalker, Diving Blessing) It wasn't easy at level 7/8 or a /faceroll like the levels before this... I had to pick up a proof of poison item to get through The scorpion lair and I NEED MOAR SPELL POINTS!! My SLA's are starting to fall behind I think... Ive been nervous of switching to the dark-side at level 10 like the build calls for... but if the SLA's dont remain viable at mid levels then i can get used to it.

I don't think I can get in Relics until level 9 so I'm going to have to figure out something to run 'till then... Maybe Necro 2?

MacR

Well what do you know? Just as I was wondering what to do at level 8 - Here comes Crystal Cove.... Hello Calvary Plate!!!

jellyfish21
05-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I do not get the Sora Kell set for my clerics; you're thinking about a paladin set because of the dip/intimy bonuses as well as the True Seeing. At level 15, I suggest items w/ both a pure bonus (i.e. +6 wisdom or wizardry VI) w/ a yellow augment, armor w/ a blue augment or weapon w/ a red augment. Augments in GH are easily farmed. A STR +5 augment, Acid resist 25, striding 25, physical resistance 12 or spell power augments are really powerful. I also suggest Dragon-Touched armor from Reaver's Refuge. Not many people run Stealer of Souls; however, you're a cleric. People love a cleric in pugs and will go out of their way to join you; furthermore, a pug can help you learn how to be the healer, a primary function of the cleric. Its a fun farm and very versatile. Playing heroic levels, a cleric's worst enemy is traps. Make sure you have a great jump item as well as feather fall.

SirValentine
05-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I also suggest Dragon-Touched armor from Reaver's Refuge.

Dragontouched is great for the level 16-19 range, but these days there are so many other, more powerful options available at levels 20+. Getting the combination you want for a Dragontouched can be quite a grind. I really wouldn't suggest it to anyone unless they were planning to TR repeatedly through similar builds that all wanted the same combination of powers.

jellyfish21
05-10-2014, 09:22 PM
You can really knock out undead easily as a cleric, so soloing necropolis may be something for you. Necropolis is a great place for cleric items, including the scarab crafting. Also, necropolis III has great named items in the end chest of Cursed Crypt (but only for completing the optional of killing zero silver flame allies.) Since you're not worried about XP or bravery bonus, doing the Cursed Crypt (as well as other tougher necropolis quests) may be done on an easier setting. You have to flag for Cursed Crypt every time you complete it, so two box it and window farm. Necropolis IV has really got nice caster items from the tapestries, shield fragments and tome pages. You may be able to find a raid party on your server for Abbott, which would be real fun to run. Farming Abbott can get you accustom to raid parties and open a door for you into epic gear.

Don't forget 3 Barrel Cove w/ the end rewards of some simple, yet real neat general gear. 3BC is fun to solo, with its theme, music, artistry and story lines.

MacRighteous
05-11-2014, 11:29 AM
You can really knock out undead easily as a cleric, so soloing necropolis may be something for you. Necropolis is a great place for cleric items, including the scarab crafting. Also, necropolis III has great named items in the end chest of Cursed Crypt (but only for completing the optional of killing zero silver flame allies.) Since you're not worried about XP or bravery bonus, doing the Cursed Crypt (as well as other tougher necropolis quests) may be done on an easier setting. You have to flag for Cursed Crypt every time you complete it, so two box it and window farm. Necropolis IV has really got nice caster items from the tapestries, shield fragments and tome pages. You may be able to find a raid party on your server for Abbott, which would be real fun to run. Farming Abbott can get you accustom to raid parties and open a door for you into epic gear.

Don't forget 3 Barrel Cove w/ the end rewards of some simple, yet real neat general gear. 3BC is fun to solo, with its theme, music, artistry and story lines.

Thanks for the suggestions jellyfish, I have Necro III and IV so I'll definitely be running my Cleric through those - I have my eye on the shield and a few other choices pieces.

MacR

Wh070aa
05-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Well since I am doing caster cleric/artificer1, I taught I would share what I am doing right now.(Up to level 9), Low level casting.

Get All the Ion stones (Wisdom and spell point one is enough, if going pure). Radiance and radiance lore item, evocation focus item (+2 ring min level 7) Other stuff is nice, but not all that needed (Fort,Hp, as usual).
Get maximize, quicken, empower, and max out light based sla's (23 points in divine disciple, as soon.
Use Soundburst spell for stun&helpless.
Abishai set for +1 caster level to evocation.

Get all the buffs (nightshield, protection form evil, mass aid, FoM,Deathward)

Get blurr scrolls (no umd needed). Jump, haste, feather fall, striding n' stuff as on any other character (clickies pots,exc), don't forget to jump cast. Get all the scrolls as soon as you can (level 7 rise dead, restoration, exc), as you are gonna use them like 2 times a day, and sacrificing spell slots for that sucks, and you can start using them couple levels before you can cast them. Get some cure wands, in case you have SP management problems.(use wands instead of cure spells, if you run out of spell points a lot).

Get Radiant servant aura after that.
At higher levels get some necromancy focus/spell pen.

Also get some good damage resistance items (Guardian Mantle, or just invulnerability robe or something). Switch them out when jumping/swimming. If you are casting, the attack penalties does not mater , so no need for proficiency.

As for strategy, spam sla's from afar.Soundburst+Holy Smite if the crowds get too big, otherwise pick off 1 by 1 with beams.

I did get artificer for trapping (them 15% XP bonuses), stoneskin wands (dr -10),elemental weapons scrolls (for party members), and Enchant weapons for myself (+ spell power), gimping my heal/spelcraft (meh), and took the ddor/teleport dragon mark), for maximum utility(because why not, as I have Wizard past lifes and don't need even more spell pen that badly). I do not recommend that tho. Full trapping is hard to do on cleric, and I probably gonna switch out some feats later on.

Also, IN MY OPINION turn undead suck, and I have never needed extra healing. Maximized largest cure you have should be all the emergency healing you need, and couple of cure spells are cheap way to top off. I might be wrong tho.

I mainly play Sorc/Wizard.