PDA

View Full Version : LFM Tags

Amundir
04-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Thought of this yesterday and started using them when posting LFMs. After talking about LFMs and what people typically put in their LFMs to get a good response, I thought it might be interesting to try to have some common tags people could use for posting LFMs to communicate what they are looking for. These are some that I thought of... Love/Hate/Ignore at your whim, ^_^

Feel free to use another (or no) prefix rather than '#' if for some reason you find it unbearable.
If someone uses these and you are kicked because you disregard them, don't take it personal.
If you have suggestions about some good ones, reply in this thread. Try to make them short while still being possibly guessable.

Group Formations

#zerg - Primary quest goal(s) completion in shortest time top priority; group not required to stay together
#nozerg - Opposite of #zerg; group formation other than this ambiguous
#ftl - Follow The Leader; leader sets pace
#fth - Follow The Healer; healer sets pace
#group - Group stays together; given a forced game split, split sub-groups stay together
#rp - Role play
#voice - Voice chat desired
#novoice - Voice chat unwanted; group chat prefered
#byoh - Heal yourself; ambiguous regarding hirelings
#byohe - Heal yourself; hirelings unwanted
#pike - Piking allowed
#nopike - Piking unwanted

Quest Difficulties

General; Heroic/Epic assumed based on player level

#casual, #normal, #hard, #elite

Explicit; Heroic/Epic Casual/Normal/Hard/Elite

#hc, #hn, #hh, #he, #ec, #en, #eh, #ee

Quest Goals

#bb - Bravery Bonus
#nodeath - No Deaths desired
#obliteration - Completion of all optionals, all enemies killed, all breakables destroyed, all traps.... you get the gist

Quest Status

#ip - In Progress; may either refer to single quest or chained quests
#soon - Opposite of #ip
#chain - Attempted quests are a part of a chain, which may require members to have completed preceeding quests before being able to join current quest; asking leader about current quest may be advised
#?/? - Explicit information as to which quest in a chain the group is currently on (ex. 2/5)
#sre - Slayer/Rare/Explorer a goal of the party

Uncategorized

#pow - beware of exploding charges

Ivan_Milic
04-27-2014, 01:14 PM
No weaklings.

Ekcz
04-27-2014, 02:33 PM
#potsofwonder - bewere of exploding charges

ArekDorun
04-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Some thoughts on this...First, lose the #. I don't think we have enough LFMs to really warrant hashtags.

Second, "novoice" or "type". It's rare, but we actually have a few deaf people playing DDO, who kinda need people to type instructions to them if possible.

Finally, "soon" - should mean starting soon with or without you - kinda an "almost ip" or "ready to start", which is not the opposite of ip.

Otherwise, it looks good so far to this semi-newbie. :)

--ArekDorun

Munkenmo
04-27-2014, 10:53 PM
byoh does not mean hireling. Anyone bringing a hireling to a byoh group of mine will be booted asap.

my lfms often look like this:

elite, byoh, zerging (invis when poss), ip, find own way to entrance, no waiting, next quest = x.

It's amazing how often people have no idea what my lfm means.

toaftoaf
04-27-2014, 10:54 PM
what about

NT = no tornadoes... . . . ... . . ...

FlameDiablo
04-28-2014, 05:37 AM
zerg is a bit more complex: need to be byoh, need to know the quest, don't wait anyone, start alone if nobody ready yet, if yu r slow is yur problem, don't waste time with opts and chests...

remember that yu can always read location of ppl in party from lfm, so yu don't need to ask "where?"

Catteras
04-28-2014, 05:51 AM
First, lose the hashtags. This is not Twitter (thank God), and the LFM text is not searchable or anything. Other than that, the list pretty much matches up with what people currently use.

byoh does not mean hireling. Anyone bringing a hireling to a byoh group of mine will be booted asap.

elite, byoh, zerging (invis when poss), ip, find own way to entrance, no waiting, next quest = x.

I do. I translate those LFMs as "stay away".

CThruTheEgo
04-28-2014, 06:50 AM
byoh - Heal yourself; indifferent regarding hirelings

This is not correct. The standard for byoh is no hires. The exception is that hires are allowed. Please don't lead new players into thinking that it is acceptable to bring a hire for your healing on a byoh run.

Whether a group is byoh or not, if you intend to bring a hireling, it is good etiquette to ask the leader if that is acceptable before summoning it. If it is byoh and the leader says no, then you need to have an alternate, and effective, means of self healing. And if you don't, then don't join a byoh group.

ip - In Progress; may either refer to single quest or chained quests

Also, if you see an IP lfm without a class that can heal, then you should assume that it is also byoh. Even if the group has a class that can heal, it is safer to assume that it is a byoh run.

I would also add to your list: be self sufficient, which means exactly what it says - don't require anything from others including a guide to the quest, heals, buffs, etc.

And Mo is lying about his lfms... he doesn't group. :)

Amundir
04-28-2014, 12:03 PM
No weaklings.
Err, can you be more specific?

#potsofwonder - bewere of exploding charges
Sure, may abbreviate to #pow

First, lose the #
Second, "novoice" or "type".
Finally, "soon"

I chose the '#' as it is commonly used and helps not only as a segregator when scrunched together (ex. #elite#zerg#ip) but also as a distinguisher between things. I do not necessarily intend tags to equal their non-tag forms.
#novoice, gotcha
I went with #soon over #notip and I started staring at it and saw #not-ip and #no-tip. :) So I went with #soon. Better option, lets here it! ^_^

From my experience "byoh" is vague and many people when joining a byoh will ask if they can pop a pocket hire. I carried this over to the tag. #byohe is the choice is you want to avoid the vagueness. Disagree with #byoh meaning, cool, don't use it, :P

what about

NT = no tornadoes... . . . ... . . ...
After this weekend, I agree!

zerg is a bit more complex: need to be byoh, need to know the quest, don't wait anyone, start alone if nobody ready yet, if yu r slow is yur problem, don't waste time with opts and chests...
I kinda feel that all those points are included in #zergs def currently, possibly with #byoh aside. But I would assume if a group (refering to the people involved, not the act of staying close to one another) is zerging all of that is implied... ?

First, lose the hashtags.
Responded about this up above. Also added a line to the OP about it. #elite#ip, :elite:ip, *elite*ip; whatever works for you!

This is not correct. The standard for byoh is no hires.
Also responded to this above.

I would also add to your list: be self sufficient, which means exactly what it says
I'm thinking this is related to Ivan's "no weaklings". So I'm thinking #ss or something?

darkly_dreaming
04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
I chose the '#' as it is commonly used and helps not only as a segregator when scrunched together (ex. #elite#zerg#ip) but also as a distinguisher between things. I do not necessarily intend tags to equal their non-tag forms.

Just a comment because hashtags make me twitch. There's this thing, it's called a comma - commonly used as a segregator.

Otherwise, much of the list seems ok and I've seen a number of the abbreviations used in LFM's. Some don't seem particularly intuitive however; I'm still trying to wrap my head around them.

I would however change BYOH - from my experience BYOH means heal thyself, usually fast paced, may be in progress, don't pop hires (who will probably just die and give -5% anyway).

sk3l3t0r
04-28-2014, 12:34 PM
What no "All Welcome" ???

That is one of the first things I post in my LFMs. I put up the LFM and begin (No need to put IP, the LFM will clearly state the quest is in progress)

My LFM usualy looks like this:

Sanctuary Chain - All Welcome

LoD - All Welcome - Zerg, keep up if you can

Vale s / e / r - All Welcome, divide and conquer

CThruTheEgo
04-28-2014, 01:07 PM
From my experience "byoh" is vague and many people when joining a byoh will ask if they can pop a pocket hire. I carried this over to the tag. #byohe is the choice is you want to avoid the vagueness. Disagree with #byoh meaning, cool, don't use it, :P

No, byoh is not vague. It stands for Bring Your Own Healing. Healing does not mean hireling. The "H" does not stand for hireling. Some group leaders do not mind if you bring a hireling, but some do. This difference is the reason why bringing a hireling is not the accepted standard. You even state in your reply that players will ask if they can pop a hire. If they have to ask, then it is clearly not the standard. If it was the standard, then there would be no need to ask in the first place.

I have only encountered this misunderstanding (i.e. someone joins a byoh group and pops a hire without asking) among newer players. So please do not distribute misinformation to new players. The standard is byoh does not include hirelings. If you want to differentiate the two then make it clear that byoh does not include hirelings and add byohha - bring your own healing hirelings allowed.

I find it funny that you tell the rest of us not to use byoh when you are the one trying to change its meaning. If you want to create a list like this (and I'll admit it can be useful to new players to understand some of these), then you need to understand what the community means by them, not just create your own meanings and hope they catch on. If you're creating your own meanings and encouraging new players to use them when the rest of us don't use it with the same meaning, then you are not helping them at all and will only make it more difficult and frustrating for the two to group.

Amundir
04-28-2014, 02:27 PM
I do not want to assume that everyone using byoh interprets it as healing instead of hireling. Asking if it is ok to pop a hire does not prove a standard exists. One could argue it proves one does not exist, or the question would not be asked. It could go either way. I can't guess everyone's understanding of it nor can you make everyone happy, so I leave it as vague. I'm not going to say one is right or wrong.

Franke
04-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Then the lfm fulfills its purpose for both the poster and you, win/win.

gk_zone
04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I used #chain to indicate I was running the entire quest chain over the weekend.

Munkenmo
04-28-2014, 03:52 PM

That's fine, I don't set out to be rude or be mean to others, but sometimes I just feel like mindless fasy xp after a particularly rough day. If the lfm stops people who aren't in a similar mood from joining I think it's saved us both frustration, thus serving it's purpose.

Qhualor
04-28-2014, 04:01 PM
No, byoh is not vague. It stands for Bring Your Own Healing. Healing does not mean hireling. The "H" does not stand for hireling. Some group leaders do not mind if you bring a hireling, but some do. This difference is the reason why bringing a hireling is not the accepted standard. You even state in your reply that players will ask if they can pop a hire. If they have to ask, then it is clearly not the standard. If it was the standard, then there would be no need to ask in the first place.

I have only encountered this misunderstanding (i.e. someone joins a byoh group and pops a hire without asking) among newer players. So please do not distribute misinformation to new players. The standard is byoh does not include hirelings. If you want to differentiate the two then make it clear that byoh does not include hirelings and add byohha - bring your own healing hirelings allowed.

I find it funny that you tell the rest of us not to use byoh when you are the one trying to change its meaning. If you want to create a list like this (and I'll admit it can be useful to new players to understand some of these), then you need to understand what the community means by them, not just create your own meanings and hope they catch on. If you're creating your own meanings and encouraging new players to use them when the rest of us don't use it with the same meaning, then you are not helping them at all and will only make it more difficult and frustrating for the two to group.

i can disagree with this as well. BYOH is universally understood that you are able to take care of your own healing among players that have been in the game at least awhile, but ive been in lots of pug groups where a hire was acceptable. sometimes the party leader even would have a hire popped. i would never assume a hire is fine to bring, but it doesn't hurt to ask if its ok to summon one.

Munkenmo
04-28-2014, 04:16 PM
i can disagree with this as well. BYOH is universally understood that you are able to take care of your own healing among players that have been in the game at least awhile, but ive been in lots of pug groups where a hire was acceptable. sometimes the party leader even would have a hire popped. i would never assume a hire is fine to bring, but it doesn't hurt to ask if its ok to summon one.

That's completley reasonable. Popping a hireling without asking isn't.

Refusing to dismiss the hireling is worse.

I might not be typical of all byoh'ers, but if someone was genuinely mistaken and thought a hireling was acceptable, provided they drop it, (I'd rather have people than hires) I would do my best to accommodate them for the remainder of 1 quest. If the player wasn't capable of healing themselves afterwards, I'd try tell them about scrolls, silver flame pots, healing amp, and rejuvination cocoon.

Then I would go back to zerging, without them.

CThruTheEgo
04-28-2014, 04:26 PM

It sounds like you are agreeing with me. If you read my previous post I clearly stated that it is good etiquette to ask before summoning a hire. I have no problem with someone asking, but be prepared to be told no, and if you are told no, then have an effective means of self healing or don't join a byoh group.

It is precisely because some leaders will have a problem with using hires in a byoh group that this is not the standard. It's not going to cause a problem if you don't need a hire, but it might if you do. It won't with every byoh group, but it will with enough that bringing a hire should not be considered standard practice.

Khatzhas
04-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Generally I've found BYOH doesn't just mean bring your own healing, but a requirement for general self-sufficiency as well. Many of my heal-capable characters would avoid them due to this.

Other tags you can sometimes see are:
"Blue bar only" or "Casters only" - often during events like crystal cove or Mabar due to the advantages they have there.
s/r/e - Slayer/Rares/Explorer used for wilderness areas. Often to distinguish from running the quests in those areas.
"Walk-ups" or "side quests".
"2/5" or similar indicating that the group is on a certain quest in a chain.

stoopid_cowboy
04-28-2014, 05:43 PM
I usually just type "TR Elite Streaking".
Have had pretty good luck with that. Shows I am a TR and will be running Elite's for BB and Elite streak. Get the occaisional PUGtard, but more often than not, get fairly competent TR's and groups roll fast and smooth.
My group's are typically BYOH, and hires are never allowed except for when there is a stat rune for an optional (i.e. Tear of Dhakkan) that nobody can get.

Worse case scenario, carry their stone to the end and kick them after they recall.

yuda

Amundir
04-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Added #chain, #sre, #?/?

I didn't add #casters as I forgot between reading and editing, however I wonder, would this be desired or would you just only select the caster classes when creating the LFM?

bohemian3
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks so much for posting - it is very useful as I am returning to the game, but never had a char more than lvl 8. Thanks.

and I've had terrible luck with lfms - Now I know how better to look with these abbreviations

This is my mode of play given I'm playing through most of the content for the first time:
elite nozerg group nodeath obliteration hires-ok

Don't know how lucky I'll be with finding like-minded players

Llewndyn
04-29-2014, 04:30 PM
No weaklings.

So you're soloing from now on?

BOOM!

Khatzhas
04-30-2014, 06:03 AM
I didn't add #casters as I forgot between reading and editing, however I wonder, would this be desired or would you just only select the caster classes when creating the LFM? No idea. Its just something that I've seen on LFMs occasionally, usually during Crystal Cove.
I'd guess that they used that note rather than adjusting classes since there are so many multiclass characters around at the moment.

Ivan_Milic
04-30-2014, 06:25 AM
So you're soloing from now on?

BOOM!

Why from now on?

Wanesa
05-07-2014, 01:06 AM
elite BB byoh nohire nozerg allopts dontdie f2p

EDIT: I forgot "+dragons" :D

AidanRyuko
05-07-2014, 05:26 AM
Thanks so much for posting - it is very useful as I am returning to the game, but never had a char more than lvl 8. Thanks.

and I've had terrible luck with lfms - Now I know how better to look with these abbreviations

This is my mode of play given I'm playing through most of the content for the first time:
elite nozerg group nodeath obliteration hires-ok

Don't know how lucky I'll be with finding like-minded players

It works to just say new player doing this and that quest. I'm on 25th life on argo so my quest pace is fairly high, but if I know someone isn't used to the quest I don't mind going slower, some people actually like playing with new players. Other then that, the player base that still pugs seems to be fairly small lately so lfms not picking up isn't necesarily your fault.

Amundir
06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
What do people think about a #learning tag for either leader is new to the quest or is willing to teach others?

Seikojin
06-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Personally, I also don't think we need hashtags, but whatevs. LOL

#new = new to the game/content, so expect slowness. (instead of #learning)
#invis = using invis to bypass mobs
#div = divide the group to handle multiple steps of the quest to cut completion time down.
#1st = first time leading the run.

Phidius
06-25-2014, 05:03 PM
What do people think about a #learning tag for either leader is new to the quest or is willing to teach others?

There is such a large difference between a leader that wants to learn and a leader that wants to teach, I think you're better off using separate tags. Say, "learning" and "teaching"...

Soulfurnace
06-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Ftl? No thanks. It's a given, follow the leader is he's competent, ignore him if he's not.
Fth? Again, no thanks. Aside from not having a hjealor, they're meant to follow me! Rawr! (something something heal me)
Group? Psh. Never seen it, wouldn't care if I did.
Byoh/Byohe? It's just BYOH, hires are down to party leader, ask before you drop them. I'm not going to specify in regards to hires anyway, it's case dependant for me.
Obliteration? Hah. No. Why would you even state that?

Honestly, the only ones to know are: Flower sniffing, zerg, BOYH, BB and IP.
And no, no spamming #. That just looks messy... and makes me think of a 13 year old.

dunklezhan
06-25-2014, 05:30 PM
lose the #.

This. You kids keep your damn hashtag nonsense off my lawn.

DakFrost
06-25-2014, 07:57 PM
"Elite - IP" seems to be conveying what I'm generally doing. I don't think having to put "#byoh#zerg#BB#p2p#?/?#IP" would be any more clear. Plus, if I see anyone using "#" in their LFM I'm going to assume they are a child and I will be avoiding their LFM.

CThruTheEgo
06-26-2014, 01:05 AM
This. You kids keep your damn hashtag nonsense off my lawn.

What's a hashtag? That's the pound sign. Unless you're in England and then it's the number sign.

Lallajulia
06-26-2014, 04:30 AM
we play muliplayer game. obviously. ;)
people should communicate. people should not assume others are able read their minds.
pretty often i join some "blank" lfm with only quest, level and difficulty set and then, after a while leader start to whine - this not good, thats not right, do this, do that, do all that way. it is right to leader set rules. but that should be done before quest, best option is lfm comments. zerg/no zerg/fast/all opts/no opts/byoh/hirelings allowed. it is so simple. because if comments are blank, i assume it is ok to do quest as i see best. not listen whinings "ooh, we should stay together, where are you, i do not see you on map, why do you do not break barrels, why you leave monsters alive" etc.
speak. or write. that is part of leader role to set rules, not assume hes party members are some kind of oracles. because default is zerg, get max xp min or at least fast completions. do not like it? fine, but speak.

MuleAxe
06-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Thought of this yesterday and started using them when posting LFMs. After talking about LFMs and what people typically put in their LFMs to get a good response, I thought it might be interesting to try to have some common tags people could use for posting LFMs to communicate what they are looking for. These are some that I thought of... Love/Hate/Ignore at your whim, ^_^

<snip>

I really like the idea of identifying preferences in LFM's. These are all great for experienced/semi-experienced players. Would suggest keeping it simple so people understand what all the tags mean.

Would be really nice if there were some options in the screen used to create the LFM to choose group preferences (click a check box for "x" option)

Nice list though!

Impaqt
06-26-2014, 08:35 AM
I like the concept, but people wont look up unfamiliar abbreviations.

Stick to the basics.

One that I would like to see more widely known is

"BSS"

Be Self Sufficient

I usually end up using BYOH because thats what people recognize.

Ancient
06-26-2014, 09:46 AM

This is why I've stopped posting byoh groups and moved on to "all welcome". It distances me from the byoh elitists and prevents the hjeal-me-now nannybot addicts from painting me as a bad person because I don't promise healing. All welcome means.... you come, try, we'll figure it out. Raise scrolls are cheap and I'm easily amused.

Ancient
06-26-2014, 09:48 AM
"Elite - IP" seems to be conveying what I'm generally doing. I don't think having to put "#byoh#zerg#BB#p2p#?/?#IP" would be any more clear. Plus, if I see anyone using "#" in their LFM I'm going to assume they are a child and I will be avoiding their LFM.

#byoh#zerg#BB#p2p#?/? looks close enough to #!#%#%(^ for me to think they are just cartoon cussing.

MuleAxe
06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
I usually put up a few LFMs each play session; I'll give it a go and see how it works

Wipey
06-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Pfft amateurs.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5513/14512262152_73cc97e062_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/o7p8Wq)

#ftl - Follow The Leader; leader sets pace

Faster than Light ? :D

EDIT : Oh man, didn't notice this is New Player Advice.

DakFrost
06-26-2014, 11:55 AM
#byoh#zerg#BB#p2p#?/? looks close enough to #!#%#%(^ for me to think they are just cartoon cussing.

Exactly...way too complex of a system to cover what two simple words will convey.

I'll stick with "Elite - IP". Only a modicum of intelligence is needed to reason out what is implied.

LuKaSu
06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
What no "All Welcome" ???

That is one of the first things I post in my LFMs. I put up the LFM and begin (No need to put IP, the LFM will clearly state the quest is in progress)

My LFM usualy looks like this:

Sanctuary Chain - All Welcome

LoD - All Welcome - Zerg, keep up if you can

Vale s / e / r - All Welcome, divide and conquer

I absolutely love the "All Welcome" tag. I'll choose an all welcome over a "know it" any day. Couple weeks ago, joined an All Welcome LFM with my healer and threw out about (literally) 40 to 50 rezes to get through the mine fields, but we had a blast guiding some less experienced players through some Lordsmarch quests. Had a lot of fun, and made a friend or two. "Know it"s, I'll join for favor, but only grudingly.