PDA

View Full Version : DDO Celebrity Endorsement

The_Human_Cypher
04-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Turbine could approach a famous pencil and paper D&D player like Stephen Colbert or Vin Diesel to do a promo for DDO. These sorts of endorsements are often expensive but Colbert or others may do a promo for much less considering their love of D&D. Below is a list of possible candidates for a commercial endorsing DDO from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_in_popular_culture

MalkavianX
04-25-2014, 08:21 PM
I saw Robin Williams on that list. I vote for him. :D Although, I would pay money to play in a game he was dm-ing.

The_Human_Cypher
04-25-2014, 08:29 PM
I saw Robin Williams on that list. I vote for him. :D Although, I would pay money to play in a game he was dm-ing.

Wil Wheaton from Star Trek is also on the list and he would be less expensive to hire than Robin Williams. Sasha Grey and Marilyn Manson, while famous, might drive people away from the game instead. :)

Dawnsfire
04-25-2014, 10:52 PM
for Lexa Doig but I was one of the crazy folks that loved the Andromeda TV series so I'm a bit bias ^-^

Relem
04-25-2014, 11:15 PM
I believe Vin Diesel is a massive WoW player, even going to the convention but has stated that if Blizzard even attempt to link him with the game he'll just delete his account and move on.

For all we know we may have already teamed up with Sasha Grey and Marilyn Manson and scared them off with "BYOH ZERG EE LoB" or called them gimps because they haven't got 2 levels of monk.

Just goes to show though looking at the list, D&D attracts a wide range of people.

dualscissors
04-26-2014, 10:20 AM
For all we know we may have already teamed up with Sasha Grey and Marilyn Manson and scared them off with "BYOH ZERG EE LoB" or called them gimps because they haven't got 2 levels of monk.

A potent indictment of this phenomenon.

Demarill
04-26-2014, 11:31 AM
someone please organise it so that i can play a quest with james franco as a barb and vin diesel as a 6 con drow wizard DMed by Robin Williams, that would be real funny

Relem
04-26-2014, 11:40 AM
A potent indictment of this phenomenon.

Meh, to be honest even though a fair portion of characters I ran with have the monk/rogue splashes, there are still plenty that don't. And fair amount of those that have the splashes are attempting to press the easy button and failing.

I was talking with a group about this thread though and we decided that the best DM for the game would be Morgan Freeman.

But Warner Brothers is making a D&D film. I really do think there will be a link between the game and the film next year. So maybe we could have a big name that is universally known DM a dungeon/advertise the game.

Relem
04-26-2014, 11:50 AM
someone please organise it so that i can play a quest with james franco as a barb and vin diesel as a 6 con drow wizard DMed by Robin Williams, that would be real funny

Add Samuel L Jackson in the mix as a rogue mechanic and Till Lindemann as a bard, then Warner Bros can scrap their attempt of making a film and play the recording of them running Tangleroot.

Uska
04-26-2014, 06:01 PM
There is no living person who's endorsement would convince me to play I a game I wasn't already playing while there are several who's endorsement would make me question even giving a game a free trial as I consider them inane and stupid including your examples. Only people I would have considered listening to were Gary and Dave!

Uska
04-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Wil Wheaton from Star Trek is also on the list and he would be less expensive to hire than Robin Williams. Sasha Grey and Marilyn Manson, while famous, might drive people away from the game instead. :)

Yeah but he even enjoyed 4e so that makes him very suspect, and I feel about him the same way Sheldon did on Big Bang but haven't changed that ever and no I didn't even like him in stand by me just about couldn't watch it because of him

The_Human_Cypher
04-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Meh, to be honest even though a fair portion of characters I ran with have the monk/rogue splashes, there are still plenty that don't. And fair amount of those that have the splashes are attempting to press the easy button and failing.

I was talking with a group about this thread though and we decided that the best DM for the game would be Morgan Freeman.

But Warner Brothers is making a D&D film. I really do think there will be a link between the game and the film next year. So maybe we could have a big name that is universally known DM a dungeon/advertise the game.

The Age of Conan MMO released an expansion (both standard and Collector's Edition) for the 2011 Conan the Barbarian movie as a crossover to the film. DDO could have an expansion for 2015 related to the upcoming Warner Bros D&D movie, with one of the cast members or another actor producing a commercial for the expansion and for DDO.

This article from The Hollywood reporter says that there are two conflicting D&D movies in the works, one based on the Chainmail strategy game.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/hasbro-sues-stop-warner-bros-522262

Relem
04-26-2014, 10:55 PM
The Age of Conan MMO released an expansion (both standard and Collector's Edition) for the 2011 Conan the Barbarian movie as a crossover to the film. DDO could have an expansion for 2015 related to the upcoming Warner Bros D&D movie, with one of the cast members or another actor producing a commercial for the expansion and for DDO.

This article from The Hollywood reporter says that there are two conflicting D&D movies in the works, one based on the Chainmail strategy game.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/hasbro-sues-stop-warner-bros-522262

Trying to follow the paper trial now. My source was 11 months old, but looking at more recent events it looks very uncertain. 2 movies though, from WB and Universal, but the WB is based on Chainmail? Is Chainmail even part of D&D?

If not, does that mean any possible expansion in 2015 might not have anything to do with DDO?

And if that's the case, then have Victoria Beckham as the celebrity endorsement. Can't really get anymore further away from D&D then that.

fmalfeas
04-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Just hire Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart to do a promo. Not only are they popular and awesome, but if you try to hire them both at once, they may cut you a discount for letting them work together.

Uska
04-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Trying to follow the paper trial now. My source was 11 months old, but looking at more recent events it looks very uncertain. 2 movies though, from WB and Universal, but the WB is based on Chainmail? Is Chainmail even part of D&D?

If not, does that mean any possible expansion in 2015 might not have anything to do with DDO?

And if that's the case, then have Victoria Beckham as the celebrity endorsement. Can't really get anymore further away from D&D then that.

Chainmail is the parent of dnd can't see using it as the basis of any movie much less a dnd movie

The_Human_Cypher
04-06-2015, 07:32 PM

Did they listen? :)

UurlockYgmeov
04-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Chainmail is the parent of dnd can't see using it as the basis of any movie much less a dnd movie

it was the inspiration for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6AOd6r6Qi8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazes_and_Monsters

AND

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobgoblin_(novel)

AND

In The Greatest American Hero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_American_Hero), (season 3, episode 10, titled 'Witches and Warlocks"), live-action role playing takes place in a fictional university's steam plant
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/D%26d_Box1st.jpg

minorpenthes
04-06-2015, 07:55 PM

Lad, Robin Williams has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Just to say.

minorpenthes
04-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Add Samuel L Jackson in the mix as a rogue mechanic and Till Lindemann as a bard, then Warner Bros can scrap their attempt of making a film and play the recording of them running Tangleroot.

Till, mit dem Stimme!

The_Human_Cypher
04-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Lad, Robin Williams has shuffled off this mortal coil.

Just to say.

This is a thread from April 2014.

Rofaust
04-07-2015, 05:32 AM

If you could get Rammstein to do the music for even one adventure pack I will sell both kidneys and sacrifice my firstborn child to Turbine.

S#ut up and take my money!