PDA

View Full Version : Is the PDK Melee spellsinger better than Warchanter road?

Pehtis
04-18-2014, 12:15 AM
I already have an epic spell singer drow bard so I am familiar with them. With open access to both trees the spell singer picks the best of the war chanter perks which is mostly the tier 1 stuff, charisma stats, 3 cores, and the very useful Frozen Fury ( I landed it often in epics which amazes me). Being charisma based his melee is not flash but makes up for it with strong CC.

Recently I rolled a PDK and was going down the warchanter road. It was the first time I really paid attention to the full tree. In all honesty I just don't see anything else useful when compared to the choices I made with my other spell singer. Skaldic rage with Howling north line (the pre's to the tier5 are terrible) for the x1 critcal i dont find too inviting. The tier5 martial weapon with +2 attack/weapon damage is definitely worth consideration. For non PDK characters without investment to Charisma ability the very useful Frozen Fury would not work thus questioning the 6 AP investment for 1.5w (still useful).

With the PDK charisma racial (limited to greatsword, lingsword, short sword) I feel a melee spellsinger might be superior value to a group overall. The question is does the benefit of the better CC with (Tier5 prodigy) plus the other Tier5 sp buffs outweigh the tier5 Warchanter stuff.

With Charisma focus both should be able to trigger the Frozen Fury effect (freeze solid) reliably.

BoBoDaClown
04-19-2014, 12:33 AM
A lot of WC stuff doesn't stack, or is generally poor, so yes, SS is generally a better choice.

Regarding the tier 5s: I have heard conflicting reports about whether Howl of the North stacks with other crit enhancers, like OC, but haven't tested it myself.

The good thing about enhancements is you can switch; doing a lot of en/eh? Run more dps based. Running more challenging content? A bit more support may be useful.

BigErkyKid
04-28-2014, 03:04 PM
I am actually about to TR into a PDK iconic, going for melee + CC bard. IMO, x1 critical is pretty good for a melee. However, whether it is actually useful it depends on whether it stacks. Has anyone done some more testing that you know of?

Thanks.

thunir
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM
I am actually about to TR into a PDK iconic, going for melee + CC bard. IMO, x1 critical is pretty good for a melee. However, whether it is actually useful it depends on whether it stacks. Has anyone done some more testing that you know of?

Thanks.

OWC stacks with the warchanter pre. That being said there is no hope for warchanter until some poor developer decides to take on the task of reworking this part of the enhancement pass. 50% of this pre is worthless. Some good ideas and a step in the right direction, but as yet unplayable. Warchanter needs to stand alone as decent mele with 20 devoted lvls of bard, and give good heal backups. It's really simple. For some reason they have all the healing spell power to the warchanter pre, but the healing song and Heal spell to spell singer? Martial weapons should be a core ability, rallying cry is worthless, boast worthless, frost armor and frost enhancements worthless. I'm not looking for a power grab, but the dps gap is widening and warchanter was left far behind in endgame. The pre needs to at least be functional.

When they release swashbuckler, I certainly hope they treat it like the release of the new Divine destiny. They did a good job re-balancing, retooling, the Divine spheres. Unyielding sentinel while not perfect got a great rerub that I think made sense.

BigErkyKid
04-30-2014, 09:57 AM
OWC stacks with the warchanter pre. That behind said there is no hope for warchanter until some poor developer decides to take on the task of reworking this part of the enhancement pass. 50% of this pre is worthless. Some good ideas and a step in the right direction, but as yet unplayable. Warchanter needs to stand alone as decent mele with 20 devoted lvls of bard, and give good heal backups. It's really simple. For some reason they have all the healing spell power to the warchanter pre, but the healing song and Heal spell to spell singer? Martial weapons should be a core ability, rallying cry is worthless, boast worthless, frost armor and frost enhancements worthless. I'm not looking for a power grab, but the dps gap is widening and warchanter was left far behind in endgame. The pre needs to at least be functional.

When they release swashbuckler, I certainly hope they treat it like the release of the new Devine destiny. They did a good job rebalancing, retooling, the Devine spheres. Unyielding sentinal while not perfect got a great rerub that I think made sense.

As a pure DPS build, without multiclassing, probably not. I would be thankful though if you gave me some comment on my build Tramuntana. I have little to non experience with bards...