PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion to make the Druid even cooler!

Cryptobranchus
04-15-2014, 09:58 AM
I am a fan of the Druid. Enough said. I mostly play as a wolf/melee druid and find running around in animal form to be a blast. However, of late I have been wondering if more variety could be added to the mix ... I mean, the wolf is more like a rogue as far as being able to do sneak-attack damage and they do best been working with a group so that they can flank (much like how a wolf pack operates in the wild). The bear, on the other hand, is the barbarian/tank which uses its size and strength to brutalize the enemy and can pretty much stand on its own, for the most part. Upon seeing the Onyz Panther Hireling fight, and since I know there are cat lovers out there, AND knowing she is a fighter ... A thought came to me. Why not allow Druids to turn into large cats! This form would be Fighter based with the initial form a panther or lion and the secondary, stronger form a Razor Cat (since all the other types of cats are fiendish in origin and out of the question).

I would also suggest that there be other companions to choose from (or be assigned automatically depending on why animal form people choose) like a bear instead of just a wolf since I find a bear/dire bear running around with a wolf odd (consequently the large cat would also have a large cat companion). Not to mention, I find if irksome that an NPC Druid can have a bear companion and a player Druid cannot.

ALSO, can I suggest skins for the Druid companions, at least. Everyone runs around with a grey wolf. BORING ... Why not let them be Winter Wolves or Black Wolves or Spotted Wolves??? I mean, we can do it on LOTRO with Loremasters. Why not here?

Cryptobranchus
04-15-2014, 10:31 AM
I am a fan of the Druid. Enough said. I mostly play as a wolf/melee druid and find running around in animal form to be a blast. However, of late I have been wondering if more variety could be added to the mix ... I mean, the wolf is more like a rogue as far as being able to do sneak-attack damage and they do best been working with a group so that they can flank (much like how a wolf pack operates in the wild). The bear, on the other hand, is the barbarian/tank which uses its size and strength to brutalize the enemy and can pretty much stand on its own, for the most part. Upon seeing the Onyz Panther Hireling fight, and since I know there are cat lovers out there, AND knowing she is a fighter ... A thought came to me. Why not allow Druids to turn into large cats! This form would be Fighter based with the initial form a panther or lion and the secondary, stronger form a Razor Cat (since all the other types of cats are fiendish in origin and out of the question).

I would also suggest that there be other companions to choose from (or be assigned automatically depending on why animal form people choose) like a bear instead of just a wolf since I find a bear/dire bear running around with a wolf odd (consequently the large cat would also have a large cat companion). Not to mention, I find if irksome that an NPC Druid can have a bear companion and a player Druid cannot.

ALSO, can I suggest skins for the Druid companions, at least. Everyone runs around with a grey wolf. BORING ... Why not let them be Winter Wolves or Black Wolves or Spotted Wolves??? I mean, we can do it on LOTRO with Loremasters. Why not here?

There is also something else I would like to point out ....

If DDO is to be an online game version of DnD then, why are some of the classes like the Ranger and Wizard not given the special little perks those classes have always had in the paper game???

For example, I have seen in game NPCs Druids who have bear companions. Player Druids only get wolves?

Another example, I have seen an NPC mage with a familiar?! Wizards are supposed to have familiar and they do not in game. I think that needs to be changed.

Lets also not forget that Rangers can have companions similar to Druids. AND, I have seen NPC Rangers in game who have companions.

Since the bag is open and certain player classes can now have companions I would suggest that some consideration should be made in favor of other classes that traditionally have companions, of one type or other. And, I would suggest variety in what players can choose. Thank you.

merridyan
04-15-2014, 11:19 AM

If DDO is to be an online game version of DnD then, why are some of the classes like the Ranger and Wizard not given the special little perks those classes have always had in the paper game???

For example, I have seen in game NPCs Druids who have bear companions. Player Druids only get wolves?

Another example, I have seen an NPC mage with a familiar?! Wizards are supposed to have familiar and they do not in game. I think that needs to be changed.

Lets also not forget that Rangers can have companions similar to Druids. AND, I have seen NPC Rangers in game who have companions.

Since the bag is open and certain player classes can now have companions I would suggest that some consideration should be made in favor of other classes that traditionally have companions, of one type or other. And, I would suggest variety in what players can choose. Thank you.

The pets are pretty much worthless other than as lever pullers, why waste the dev's time and resources on this?

bennyson
04-15-2014, 11:24 AM
why waste the dev's time and resources on this?

To bring DDO closer to D&D, which is the game its based off of, why else?

Do you hate D&D? Do you not want DDO to be closer to it?

Uska
04-15-2014, 11:40 AM

There are better things they can do to bring the game closer to dnd than to add stuff for just one class. but with so many things ddo has we are well beyond dnd

merridyan
04-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Sure, but that would be in a perfect world. In this world we have a severely reduced dev staff and them spending their time on useless pets seems like a huge waste of effort and a very bad ROI.

So instead of adding more useless pets, how about adding gnomes, shifters, kalashtar's and some psionic classes. This would bring it closer to D&D without more useless pets.

unbongwah
04-15-2014, 01:21 PM

DDO has been drifting further & further away from PnP D&D since the original beta: the Enhancements system, the AC / to-hit system, Spellpower, TRing, etc. It's been a combination of power creep and feature bloat way beyond what 3.x originally supported. Expecting a "course correction" this late in DDO's lifecycle is unrealistic.

I'd rather see Turbine make bear-form worth a darn before they tackle something more ambitious like new shapeshifting forms or different animal companions.

The_Human_Cypher
04-16-2014, 12:18 AM

/signed. I like this idea and I agree that it would make the Druid more interesting. Perhaps this change can be released with an Update or Expansion that includes Big Cats.

The_Human_Cypher
04-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Another possibility is that the Big Cat Druid could become the Druid Iconic. This Druid could turn into the Panther and other Big Cats as well as possess specialized skills/abilities. We still have probably 9 Iconic slots to fill, most likely one for each of the 13 classes.

Visual_Nobu
04-16-2014, 06:05 AM

I love ur idea, and i tryed to suggest this one too long time ago, but no response...LOL... Btw, i think that before add companion, they should improve them. Atm companion are nothing more then a lever puller or kamikaze. Look at Wizzy pet, thats really good. So why they don't restyle the pet tree too? Atm no reason to use a pet.

Enderoc
04-16-2014, 08:36 PM
How about specific quests where the Druid can attempt to earn other pets rather then his wolf companion? Both Rangers and Druids should be able to attempt to charm an animal. Maybe come up with a way in which this charmed animal can result in a companion?

Visual_Nobu
04-18-2014, 06:17 AM
How about specific quests where the Druid can attempt to earn other pets rather then his wolf companion? Both Rangers and Druids should be able to attempt to charm an animal. Maybe come up with a way in which this charmed animal can result in a companion?

wonderfull idea, but they will never do it. Because if they do this for class that have pets, the other player that play clas with no pets will call "racism, discimination exc" :P

Btw, i like to see some raiding beats, thta would be handsome :P ... but since server cant manage 30 player online, 30 player and 30 raiding beats will be a serious problem haahah