PDA

View Full Version : Left Mouse button won't work properly - game completely unplayable

karlharlequin
04-13-2014, 02:24 PM
I have tried everything on this forum, but my left mouse button isn't working properly following a keybind error.

I cannot click on any of the options in the character selection screen.. i have to double-click on my character name to get in. once i'm in the game, i can't access the menu options to fix the keybindings.

Posts on here about the same problem have been informative but nothing has worked. I have tried completely deleting and re-installing the game, I've tried resetting to defaults from the main login menu, I've tried looking all over my computer for some kind of local keybind file as suggested on another thread, but can't find any such file.

Can someone please help me, this is extremely frustrating!!!

Tscheuss
04-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Have you tried using the Right mouse button, single or double clicks?

Or maybe this will help:

On my system, where the keymap is definitely working, the file is ~/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.dndclient/ddo.keymap, I can see the changes and they hold. So I'm not sure why yours wouldn't be :/

Although... it occurs to me, that I have my Library folder unhidden, it's hidden by default in Mavericks. Maybe that makes a difference?

karlharlequin
04-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Have you tried using the Right mouse button, single or double clicks?

Or maybe this will help:

I tried that, no joy. I typed the following into the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

I could then see all hidden files, but none by that name was in any directory under Library/Application Support.. or under Library/Preferences for that matter =(

I have also just tried installing the Mac client from dmg file as opposed to the cloud streaming services Steam and Happy Cloud... 3 hours later, no change. Still cannot click any characters or select any options from the main menu.

Missing_Minds
04-14-2014, 01:24 PM
I know nothing about Macs.

But if this happened after keybinding, try deleting/renaming your keybinding file. This will force DDO to make a new one. Sure you'll be back at all default but maybe you'll be back in a point to make things work again?

Their code to saving the keyfile isn't the most robust for whatever reason. I've had it screw me up before. Thankfully I had a few backups so I was able to manually fix what went wrong. (Seriously, what got saved off made no sense what so ever)

karlharlequin
04-14-2014, 01:28 PM
I know nothing about Macs.

But if this happened after keybinding, try deleting/renaming your keybinding file. This will force DDO to make a new one. Sure you'll be back at all default but maybe you'll be back in a point to make things work again?

Their code to saving the keyfile isn't the most robust for whatever reason. I've had it screw me up before. Thankfully I had a few backups so I was able to manually fix what went wrong. (Seriously, what got saved off made no sense what so ever)

Hey mate. Yes, and this is the problem - I cannot find the keybinding file - it is not where it should be as described by a number of mac users on here.

Seikojin
04-14-2014, 02:13 PM
I do not know what the mac launcher looks like, but it may have a way to look for your keybinding file/directory.

Can you search the contents of your main disk for folders? Then look for ddo, and dig through them for a place you don't recognize. Or search the word keybind or playerpref.

karlharlequin
04-14-2014, 04:52 PM
I do not know what the mac launcher looks like, but it may have a way to look for your keybinding file/directory.

Can you search the contents of your main disk for folders? Then look for ddo, and dig through them for a place you don't recognize. Or search the word keybind or playerpref.

Thanks for the suggestion - but ive tried that one that and then some. I cannot find any file anywhere. I am beginning to think the problem is server-side.

Is there no way to reset keybindings to the default using the ingame console?

Missing_Minds
04-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - but ive tried that one that and then some. I cannot find any file anywhere. I am beginning to think the problem is server-side.

On the Window's client there is. So I would hope there would be something similar. Normally that particular one was... in the keybinding region itself of options.

Thalone
04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
I know zilch about Macs, so just throwing an idea out there: is there native or add-on functionality for Macs to emulate mouse clicks with a keyboard? On Windows, there's something called "Mousekeys" which uses the keypad to emulate mouse motion/clicking. Or you can script something yourself using something like AutoHotKey.

This would at least allow you to click on Options and reset your settings in-game.

Nodoze
04-14-2014, 09:03 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. I see you said you tried un-install/reinstall as well as deleting and reinstalling...

If you have a spare hard drive you can do a fresh mac OS install and do a fresh DDO client install to see if it truly is server side. That or if Mac restores are easy you could back-up your stuff and do a fresh install and do a fresh ddo install to try before doing a restore...

You could also try connecting to a new temprorary F2P account just to further isolate things.

Myranna
04-15-2014, 12:04 PM

From the start screen, click the down arrow at the top (before you have logged in or anything), go to Options, then Repair. You can reset things to default there. Not sure if that will fix the keymap or not, but it's worth a try?

Loromir
04-15-2014, 12:09 PM
From the character select screen you can click Options, then Key Mapping. Click the Default button and things should be reset.

Cept his left mouse button wont work...so, he can't click. ;)

Myranna
04-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Cept his left mouse button wont work...so, he can't click. ;)

Yeah, I realized that and edited my reply, you must have caught it before I finished :D

karlharlequin
04-15-2014, 04:15 PM
From the start screen, click the down arrow at the top (before you have logged in or anything), go to Options, then Repair. You can reset things to default there. Not sure if that will fix the keymap or not, but it's worth a try?

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid I've already tried that and it didn't resolve the issue =(

karlharlequin
04-15-2014, 04:20 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. I see you said you tried un-install/reinstall as well as deleting and reinstalling...

If you have a spare hard drive you can do a fresh mac OS install and do a fresh DDO client install to see if it truly is server side. That or if Mac restores are easy you could back-up your stuff and do a fresh install and do a fresh ddo install to try before doing a restore...

You could also try connecting to a new temprorary F2P account just to further isolate things.

Good idea, I'll try free-to-play and see if that works. I only just installed Mavericks a few months back, and I hadn't logged in for months. I did notice theres been a few changes to the Mac client since then, and it took forever to update.

When it eventually updated, I logged in and couldn't get my middle mouse buttonn to adjust the camera angle, so I played around with the keybindings from the menu, and the rest is history...

As a suggestion, there should be an in-game console command to fix this.

karlharlequin
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM

Ok, I've tried creating a free-to-play account, and I'm having the same problem - so its not an account-related issue at least.

Nodoze
04-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Ok, I've tried creating a free-to-play account, and I'm having the same problem - so its not an account-related issue at least.If no other solutions materialize then I would try with a fresh OS and fresh DDO client.

I am no expert but if Mac's backups work well (time machine?) and you can selectively restore then I would look at setting my machine back to default and then installing DDO. You can then connect to a different account and verify it is working and then try your main account and get yourself good to go.

Alternatively you could put in a spare hard drive or boot to USB (if macs allow that) and try with a fresh OS from there. If that doesn't work then you should be able to put the original hard drive back in and get back to where you are. If a fresh Mac OS & DDO Client on a new account doesn't I would say you are likely outta luck from a Mac perspective and maybe should switch to windows or WINE if ddo plays well under WINE.

EDIT: Just in case you aren't familiar with WINE (I have only used in under Linux but believe it works on Macs):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29

Full_Bleed
04-15-2014, 05:28 PM
The title of this thread should be: "Where is the ddo.keymap file on a Mac Install?"

It's fairly obvious at this point that you must find that and delete it so you can start fresh.

In Windows you find it in the User Documents Directory under "Dungeons and Dragons Online".

I don't know where it is on a mac, but I'm surprised that you can't search your entire system for "ddo.keymap" (or even "keymap").

Tscheuss
04-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Can you create a separate local Mac user account? I am pretty sure your keybindings are saved in a personal directory, so a new Mac account might give you a fresh set of preference files. :)

Nodoze
04-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Can you create a separate local Mac user account? I am pretty sure your keybindings are saved in a personal directory, so a new Mac account might give you a fresh set of preference files. :)That sounds like a good idea and should be pretty easy from a GUI.

The title of this thread should be: "Where is the ddo.keymap file on a Mac Install?"

It's fairly obvious at this point that you must find that and delete it so you can start fresh.

In Windows you find it in the User Documents Directory under "Dungeons and Dragons Online".

I don't know where it is on a mac, but I'm surprised that you can't search your entire system for "ddo.keymap" (or even "keymap").This sounds reasonable also. I am not a mac user but the following looks promising:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht2470

http://macs.yoexpert.com/using-your-mac/how-do-i-quickly-find-a-file-on-my-macbook-pro-har-810.html

If that doesn't work by filename then maybe there is some standard words or values inside the file that can be searched on.

Nodoze
04-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Is this the same or similar issue/fix ?:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/402589-Is-there-an-equivalent-to-the-ddo-keymap-file-on-windows?p=5312183#post5312183

karlharlequin
04-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Is this the same or similar issue/fix ?:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/402589-Is-there-an-equivalent-to-the-ddo-keymap-file-on-windows?p=5312183#post5312183

Nodoze you are a hero! :cool: The latest post in that thread included a link that unravelled the problem. It turns out I've made the rookie mistake of looking in the wrong Library folder, which when unhidden, contained the ddo.keymap file. I simply renamed the file ddo.keymap-backup and when I ran the game client, it created a new one and fixed the issue.

I cannot thank you enough! =)

t.takli
04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Nodoze you are a hero! :cool: The latest post in that thread included a link that unravelled the problem. It turns out I've made the rookie mistake of looking in the wrong Library folder, which when unhidden, contained the ddo.keymap file. I simply renamed the file ddo.keymap-backup and when I ran the game client, it created a new one and fixed the issue.

I second that. Very helpful.

Nodoze
04-16-2014, 10:04 PM

I second that. Very helpful.Aw shucks. I just got lucky connecting the dots on two separate threads that I came across. Glad it worked out for you all and hope you continue to enjoy the game.

rodm
10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Just an additional note in case it helps..... (Re DDO on iMac)

Had similar prob with Left Mouse button and this forum solved it - Thanks all!

My keycap file (/Users/rodm/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.dndclient) was also "corrupt".
Deleted it and all fine.

BUT a problem that might catch Newbies (and maybe "experienced" guys new to DDO on the Mac like me!):
If you are binding key mappings and accidentally click the Left Mouse button (LMB) instead of the key you are actually trying to bind then the Left Mouse button becomes bound and unusable and really stuffs things up - until you delete the keycap file. This "error" produces most of the above problems.

Same for Trackpads I presume.

I.e. the keycap is not really corrupt but the LMB becomes unusable until the keycap file is deleted.

Have fun.

Myranna
10-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Try hitting 'T' when nothing else is open, I had issues with 'Target Mode' where it swaps something or other with the mouse behavior.