PDA

View Full Version : Great Crossbow / Mechanic Suggestion

Joseph
04-11-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm one who likes a flavor build - but I also like being able to excel with my character, in the profession I've chosen, and with a weapon I want to use. That doesn't mean I need to be the best, but it does mean I like to play a reasonably good character, and I'm willing to make sacrifices to do that.

That said, one of my favorite weapons has always been the great crossbow. It's like a portable ballista - or at least, it should be. Unfortunately, it is handily outperformed by heavy repeaters. There simply isn't ay competition - zero.

I'd like to make a suggestion to improve the least exciting of the rogue classes - the Mechanic, by shifting the focus from repeaters, which are the bread and butter of Artificers, and moving it to the domain of Great Crossbows.

I'm not suggesting that that repeater proficiency be taken away from Mechanics, rather, that Great Crossbows be enhanced by the core abilities of the Mechanic, more than they already are (which, to be honest, isn't much).

My suggestion is this:

Increase the base critical multiplier to x3, or improve targeting sights to also add +1 to the crit profile, bringing the Mechanic total to a possible +2 on the crit profile.
Change the damage type to piercing and blunt, as any force sufficient to knock an opponent down will involve blunt force trauma.
Switch Lacerating from adding a bleed effect to either include slashing as a damage type for GCB, or (preferable) change the damage type from bleed to an untyped damage that hurts everything it hits, as opposed to just things that are susceptible to bleed.
Allow mechanics to use trap parts to make explosive shots with their GCB (fire, acid, etc. - as per traps) - essentially ranged traps - it could even be an explosive shot that was independent of trap parts. Either way, it's something that a guy who tinkers with his weapons and traps, building bombs and such, would surely eventually consider (hey, let me strap an explosive flask to the end of this bolt). Heck, you could even just make 'Time Bomb' into a ranged attack. It would be a bit like Meteor Swarm.

Right now, traps are a fun way to pass the time, as is the GCB, but neither is truly viable in anything outside of a dedicated dungeon crawl party. That means, if you want to play the game with more than hirelings, you're likely not running a GCB or Mechanic build - which is a shame, because Mechanic is really the real meat and bones of what many view 'trap rogues' as.

Cardtrick
04-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure that even those changes would be enough to make me consider using a great crossbow. But definitely something needs to be done, they're totally useless at the moment.

Thumbed_Servant
04-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Good thoughts.

Here is mine:

Give Mechanics an increased-rate-of-fire enhancement or line of enhancements? The great crossbows fire SO slowly that mobs often run from a distance to past the character and out of sight while the character is loading and firing..thus the shot automatically misses.

Giving mechanics and increased rate of fire with the slowest weapon in the game would not be over balanced in any way.

unbongwah
04-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Three suggestions:

Move the +1 crit multiplier down to Mechanic lvl 12 core.
Add +1 crit range to lvl 18 core; so great xbows are now 17-20 x3.
Capstone: great xbows gain an additional +10% Doubleshot.

Probably still not enough to make them truly competitive with repeaters, but it's a start.