PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul - Early Theory-crafting help

Paleus
04-10-2014, 08:07 AM
I have a pure warforged fvs, predictably melee w/ greatsword that is a first lifer I've never reincarnated. It isn't the best, but it's been a solid, dependable character years. I like running around cleaving with a greatsword forgoing save based spells unless even half damage is useful, and am not inclined to really rework that base playstyle/gearset for this character. But, I'm trying to determine if it might be time to slightly re-work it and the pros and cons of doing so.

The basic sketch is reincarnating into a bladeforged, putting str at 18 with a +5 tome to fit the OC pre-req. But then then putting emphasis on cha as my level up stat. It would take a hit to melee damage, somewhat covered by divine might, might permit greater use of CHA for ED SLAs with better dcs, would have better saves, but lose two levels of favored soul.

Initial questions, would I need evocation boosts to most potential SLAs (soundburst, energy burst, divine wrath to name a few) assuming they benefit from it?

Cardtrick
04-10-2014, 09:17 AM
I have a pure warforged fvs, predictably melee w/ greatsword that is a first lifer I've never reincarnated. It isn't the best, but it's been a solid, dependable character years. I like running around cleaving with a greatsword forgoing save based spells unless even half damage is useful, and am not inclined to really rework that base playstyle/gearset for this character. But, I'm trying to determine if it might be time to slightly re-work it and the pros and cons of doing so.

The basic sketch is reincarnating into a bladeforged, putting str at 18 with a +5 tome to fit the OC pre-req. But then then putting emphasis on cha as my level up stat. It would take a hit to melee damage, somewhat covered by divine might, might permit greater use of CHA for ED SLAs with better dcs, would have better saves, but lose two levels of favored soul.

Initial questions, would I need evocation boosts to most potential SLAs (soundburst, energy burst, divine wrath to name a few) assuming they benefit from it?

I am doing almost exactly the same thing with an old warforged pure favored soul. I used his free LR +20 a while back to give him 2 paladin levels, and in the last couple of days I've been playing him in Divine Crusader to see how I like the playstyle. So far I'm a big fan even though his stats are far from ideal (as a warforged without a lot of good gear), and I'm planning to do basically what you describe:

Bladeforged

Stats:
18 STR
6 DEX
12 CON (this hurts my sensibilities, but the reality is that the gear we have now means there's not much difference between 12 or 16 CON)
10 INT (key skills are Spellcraft, Concentration, Heal, UMD; so this means sacrificing at least one of those to some degree)
6 WIS
18 CHA (and all level ups)

Also seriously considering going with 16 CHA, which would lose a point of DC and 1 from all saves but let me go to something more balanced like 10 DEX, 13 CON, 11 INT.

Heroic Feats (not necessarily in this order):
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Maximize
Improved Critical:Slashing
Empower Healing
Quicken

Epic Feats:
Overwhelming Critical
Empower
Epic Reflexes or Ruin

Epic Destiny Feats:
Perfect Two Weapon Fighting (for the doublestrike)
Elusive Target or Forced Escape

It all sounds great. The problem is this: greatswords are terrible if you don't have an eSOS. I don't, and I've never had much luck working toward getting one. The other epic options are just awful. Hunter's Slayer is hard to get but is sort of useful. The Cormyrian weapons could be half-useful if they had a red slot, but they don't. The FOT greatsword is terrible for an epic raid weapon -- I greatly prefer the heroic Whirlwind to it. I'm still going to go ahead with the build because I find the playstyle fun, but I'm not going to invest too much into it when it's really hamstrung by the lack of a very particular piece of hard to obtain gear.

To directly answer your question -- no, evocation bonuses don't help the DC on the epic spells you'd most likely want to use (Soundburst and Energy Burst). They both depend solely on character level and Charisma. Celestial Bombardment (in the Divine Crusader tree) does benefit from things that improve your Evocation DC -- but you're not going to have a useable DC for that anyway, since unlike the others it depends on Wisdom rather than Charisma.