PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of the Free Item of the Week

mpetrarca
03-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Yes, I said get rid of the Free Item of the Week. However, I think the game would benefit with a replacement. Set up a NPC with a weekly question/survey that would give you a free item. The Players Council seems to be a step in the right direction, but the more input you receive from the players as a whole the better the game would become most likely.

Memnir
03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
I kinda like this idea.

Lonnbeimnech
03-29-2014, 11:32 AM
I kinda like this idea.

Me too.

Saekee
03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
clever idea. I think it is always fair to ask for something in exchange--a quick survey could work, as the OP suggests, or some other minor thing that aids in development.

toaftoaf
03-29-2014, 12:57 PM
something with a 1 or 2 word answercould work.

Uska
03-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Was prepared to flame based on thread title but after reading post yeah I could go for this.

MyraScott
03-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Love this idea.

Impaqt
03-29-2014, 01:33 PM
um.. Could someone explain tome why this would need to replace something we just get for free?

Free samples are a great way to generate interests in a product.

Having other give-aways/rewards for other things is fine as well... the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

FranOhmsford
03-29-2014, 05:10 PM
um.. Could someone explain tome why this would need to replace something we just get for free?

Free samples are a great way to generate interests in a product.

Having other give-aways/rewards for other things is fine as well... the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

/Signed Well said!

redspecter23
03-29-2014, 05:32 PM
The free sample of the week gets people interacting with the store. While they're in there, maybe even just a few people buy some more items, increasing sales. Even if nobody buys anything extra, it still gets people looking and thinking about buying.

This new idea is also great, but there's no reason to get rid of the free sample of the week. It serves a purpose for Turbine that this new idea wouldn't necessarily cover.

Ungood
03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
The free sample of the week gets people interacting with the store. While they're in there, maybe even just a few people buy some more items, increasing sales. Even if nobody buys anything extra, it still gets people looking and thinking about buying.

This is what I was thinking as well, but if they are moving to a Astral Shard Currency, they could move the "store" into the game, like they have already with the Raise Click, and a few other things.

I guess it depends on what Turbines motive is at this point.

skaught78
03-29-2014, 08:27 PM
/signed

Love it

Failedlegend
03-29-2014, 08:37 PM
I just wish the devs would post the free weekly item here and/or the launcher news crawl instead of on twitter,etc. I loathe twitter.

Impaqt
03-29-2014, 09:14 PM
I just wish the devs would post the free weekly item here and/or the launcher news crawl instead of on twitter,etc. I loathe twitter.

or you could just go the the main ddo store info page...

https://www.ddo.com/en/store

General_Gronker
03-30-2014, 02:40 AM
or you could just go the the main ddo store info page...

https://www.ddo.com/en/store

Yes, they could. But they shouldn't have to is kind of the point, and I think you know that.

Full_Bleed
03-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Yes, they could. But they shouldn't have to is kind of the point, and I think you know that.

Why do you think the free sample of the week should come with no strings? Going to the weekly store promotions page or following their twitter feed is a fair trade off. The free sample is a promotional tool. And if the trade off is too large an imposition then I suppose people are free to go without.

Failedlegend
03-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Why do you think the free sample of the week should come with no strings? Going to the weekly store promotions page or following their twitter feed is a fair trade off. The free sample is a promotional tool. And if the trade off is too large an imposition then I suppose people are free to go without.

My point is they suck at advertising it. The point of the free thing a week is to get my butt in the store if only a certain group of people see it than that advertisement is a failure...why waste time posting in on twitter where DDO players MIGHT see it instead of the launcher where ALL players will see it.

Ungood
03-30-2014, 07:46 AM
My point is they suck at advertising it. The point of the free thing a week is to get my butt in the store if only a certain group of people see it than that advertisement is a failure...why waste time posting in on twitter where DDO players MIGHT see it instead of the launcher where ALL players will see it.

Well wait, if you reach some people and they do it, it's not a failure, in fact that is the whole point of advertising in various mediums, to get those individual groups to see what you are selling.

But I do believe that Turbine could kick it up a notch, they could hit Conventions, give out point codes, or "Free Drow" in the lower bracket conventions as opposed to just hitting things like PAX.

They could even put an offer up the players for this like the players council. All that want to apply, can apply, they can get a feel for the different areas and conventions that go on there.

Then, they have a video conference with the lucky winners, so they know the individual is not socially inept.

The offer would be this simple: Turbine Provides: a Pass (+1 maybe), a Booth, mail a bunch of advertisement stuff, posters and the like. Give them simple "unlock codes" like "Free Drow", "Free Vet Status", something surprisingly non-enticing to try and keep to yourself.

The "Winner" (The Player) provides their own transportation, their own table, fills out a "private contractor" agreement with Turbine.

Some lucky players get a free pass to a convention in their local area and gets to advertise this game.

Then at the end of their service, or "Per-con" basis, The player gets some DDO points as well, or maybe some other goodie, like +5 tome voucher, or maybe their choice of any raid item in the game, or any item in the game at all, including some items they should not be able to get, like their very own Oath of Dorram, or some such.

I am sure there are some people willing to do this.

Sebastrd
03-30-2014, 08:21 AM
I like this idea, as well. Kudos.

cdbd3rd
03-30-2014, 09:38 AM
I just wish the devs would post the free weekly item here ....

While not exactly Turbine's doing, there is a regularly maintained thread...

;) https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/346687-Free-Sample-Of-The-Week-In-The-DDO-Store!

On topic: I'd be okay either way.

LeoLionxxx
03-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Great idea. I is usually a hassle for me to look around for the code and then find the item(s) in the DDO store. Though you know, if they didn't have anything that needed survaying at that time, I'd be okay with them sticking in a little sponsor ad - maybe 10 or 15 seconds. That would be a great way to generate some good revenue.

Money = more and better development = stronger game overall.

Okay, ready for the flames!