PDA

View Full Version : [W] and spellpower -- what are they?

DANTEIL
03-24-2014, 12:00 AM
So I've recently returned to DDO and am trying to get a handle on some of the changes, of which there are many. Here are two things that I've come across that I don't really understand, that didn't used to be in the game before as far as I can remember:

[W] - I've seen things like "0.5[W]" in item descriptions. It seems to be some kind of damage multiplier, but I don't recognize it from my D&D days.

Spellpower: Again, is this some kind of multiplier for specific kinds of spell effects (e.g. +20 Force spell power?)

unbongwah
03-24-2014, 12:18 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Weapon_dice_multiplier

Every weapon has a certain base dmg: d6, 2d4, etc. The "+[W]" modifiers you see indicated that the weapon's base dmg is multiplied by that amount.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Power

Basically, every pt of Spellpower boosts the output of your dmg & heal spells by 1%. It can be boosted by gear, enhancements, metamagics, and certain buffs.

DANTEIL
03-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the wiki links -- searching for [W] wasn't really working for me :)

I think I kinda understand Spellpower -- that seems straightforward enough. [W] is far from obvious, though. I can't really wrap my head around half a die being a boost.

Jeremiah179
03-24-2014, 01:33 AM

I think I kinda understand Spellpower -- that seems straightforward enough. [W] is far from obvious, though. I can't really wrap my head around half a die being a boost.

If you have a weapon and it is 1D8. +1[W] would make it 2D8 or 2-16. The .5[W] would make the weapon damage 1.5-12 -- even though pnp DnD used dice, the dice references in game are just that, the computer does not roll really and it is a video game, not pnp.

Munkenmo
03-24-2014, 01:59 AM
if a falcion is 1d8 that's the same as [1w] d8.

If you have an artificer cast deadly weapons on someone you'll gain [1w], your 1d8 falchion is now effectively a 2d8 falchion for the duration of the buff.

There are other abilities like in the Grandmaster of Flowers ED, A Dance of Flowers +1.5w, If you have that and you still have deadly weapons, your 1d8 falchion is now a 3.5 d8 falchion.

The reason the devs have gone for this approach, was to allow them more ways of boosting weapon damage.

Remember when the old ESOS was 5d6 damage, and deadly weapons doubled the base damage to 10d6? This approach allows for much more gradual increments.

eg.

The base esos is now [2.5] 2d6 (Effectively the same as the old 5d6 version)

Casting deadly makes it [3.5] 2d6 (effectively 7d6)

Adding A dance of flowers makes it [5] 2d6. (effectively the same as 10d6)

Before this pass, the Esos would have become a 17.5d6 weapon in the same circumstances. Sounds nice, but it's more likely that the devs would not have introduced so many different stacking weapon boosts.

jaegarnel
03-24-2014, 10:23 AM

[W] is simply the base damage of your weapon. 1d8 for a longsword, 1d12 for a greataxe, etc...
If you take the cleave feat, it says it adds 1[W] to your attack, that means if you use cleave with a greataxe, it will add an additional 1d12 to the damage you do against mobs you hit.

An attack that is +1.5[W], would add your weapon's base damage + half of it. With a greataxe, it'd be +1d12 + 1d6 damage, over a regular attack.