PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Weapons for monks

LastCrusader
03-22-2014, 05:58 PM
I would explode with delight if you would make some martial arts weapons for the monks. Things like tonfa, sais, ring swords 3 section staffs, chains and nunchaku. I know everyone says it would be too complicated, but if soul calibur can handle it you can. Come on! They don't even have to have a ton of different animations just a few.
PLEASE I'm begging you. If you did this it would be unique among mmos. It would be something you could brag about to bring new customers. It would be good for both of us.

droid327
03-24-2014, 09:59 PM
There are longswords that look like katana, and (I believe) shortswords that also look like wakizashi. There are also kama and shuriken and staves, which are also unequivocally "martial arts" weapons.

You lost me, though, at "ring sword" and "Soul Calibur can do it" :P This is D&D. If you want unrealistic anime-style Eastern weapons, I suggest SotNW or any of the other 80 billion similar generically anime Korean/Chinese microstore MMOs.

Toro12
03-24-2014, 10:25 PM
yeah new animations aren't going to happen. if you haven't noticed all weapons of a group swing the same.
maul , great axe , great sword all have the same animation.
dual dwarf axes swing the same as kopeshes as daggers as picks.
only animations are quarterstaff and unarmed that are unique.

as for the ideas of weapons themselves, whats the point? katana gets longsword stats, everything else gets 20x2 like every other monk weapon.
so if it doesnt swing different and doesnt act different why bother?

Ungood
03-26-2014, 08:03 AM
While I can see why you would like this idea, in fact, it is a fun idea to be honest.

However, the only real change to this would be "cosmetic"

IE: a 3 sectional staff would just be a standard staff with a new 3 sectional combat animation.
A Sai would just be a Dagger
a Tonfa would be a Club - with a new animation
a Ring Sword would just be a Scimitar - Maybe with a more flashy animation.

What is the motive here?

I could see a "Tonfa" or perhaps a club called a Tonfa, that was a Ki Weapon, but more then that, I am not seeing happen.

The biggest problem with this idea is that Monks can hit harder with their fists then would with a dagger or a club, hence why the lack of kama using monks.

Uska
03-26-2014, 08:33 AM
While I can see why you would like this idea, in fact, it is a fun idea to be honest.

However, the only real change to this would be "cosmetic"

IE: a 3 sectional staff would just be a standard staff with a new 3 sectional combat animation.
A Sai would just be a Dagger
a Tonfa would be a Club - with a new animation
a Ring Sword would just be a Scimitar - Maybe with a more flashy animation.

What is the motive here?

I could see a "Tonfa" or perhaps a club called a Tonfa, that was a Ki Weapon, but more then that, I am not seeing happen.

The biggest problem with this idea is that Monks can hit harder with their fists then would with a dagger or a club, hence why the lack of kama using monks.

Yeah a lot of those things just aren't in the game disarm or break weapon but they could give a bonus to trip based on weapon types but damage would still be down and in the end the work required wouldn't be worth the result.

LastCrusader
03-26-2014, 10:59 AM
1) Saying that it wouldn't be worth it simply means that it wouldn't matter to YOU.
There are a lot of people who are into martial arts and even if the changes are purely cosmetic, they would still be a Big and Exciting change for US!
2) The game really does need to create some new animations for flailing weapons, both asian and western.
3) As I said in the original post it would bring new people to the game.
4) You could even creat a whole "Oriental Adventure" expansion that would include new settings, explorer areas, missions, and even monsters. It could even include optional starting areas for asian characters.
5) As for the guy who suggested I play a different game, Shame on you! and besides that, I pointed out in the orginal post (once Again) That this would be unique among MMOs. NO OTHER MMO HAS NUNCHAKU, NONE!!! if they did I'd be playing them and I'd never play one without them again. Why would I? Nunchaku are the real reason I started this thread.
6) NUNCHAKU!!!!!

If that doesn't give it some relevence what would?

Mercureal
03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Saying that it wouldn't be worth it simply means that it wouldn't matter to YOU there are a lot of people who are into martial arts and evn if the changes are purely cosmetic they would still be a big and exciting change for US! Also the game really does need to create some new animations for flailing weapons, both asian and western. As I said in the original post it would bring new people to the game.
You could even creat a whole "Oriental Adventure" expansion that would include new settings, explorer areas, missions, and even monsters. It could even include optional starting areas for asian characters. If that doesn't give you some relevence what would?

Of course, the games doesn't have flailing weapons, so it wouldn't really need animations for them. And creating an "Oriental Adventure" expansion to justify creating new martial arts weapons seems a bit much. Not to mention that creating a major new expansion that has no obvious connection to the existing game, with the hope that people who like the flavour of that expansion might start playing the game and spending money, is maybe not the best business strategy right now.

merridyan
03-26-2014, 11:14 AM

New people? For a weapon animation? Really?

I can see it now, a big advertising campaign for the latest expansion:

"Rise of the Sai"
Come play DDO because monks can now wield a sai and there is a new cool animation for it too.

Memnir
03-26-2014, 11:16 AM
The game hasn't seen the inclusion of new weapon types since... I don't think ever, but they may have added one, maybe two, at some point. However, as others have pointed out, they aren't likely to devote the time needed to animate new weapons at this point, particularly ones that only one class would likely use. They teased us at one point by having an AH section for the "Double Mace" - but that never materialized, and we were told it was put in by mistake. It was quickly removed.

It would be great to see new weapons added. I personally would love to see some native Eberron weapons put in the game like the Double Scimitar for example. However, I don't think it's too likely with a game this long in the tooth (and has zero track record of bringing in anything new weapon-wise).

Uska
03-26-2014, 11:45 AM
1) Saying that it wouldn't be worth it simply means that it wouldn't matter to YOU.
There are a lot of people who are into martial arts and even if the changes are purely cosmetic, they would still be a Big and Exciting change for US!
2) The game really does need to create some new animations for flailing weapons, both asian and western.
4) You could even creat a whole "Oriental Adventure" expansion that would include new settings, explorer areas, missions, and even monsters. It could even include optional starting areas for asian characters.
5) As for the guy who suggested I play a different game, Shame on you! and besides that, I pointed out in the orginal post (once Again) That this would be unique among MMOs. NO OTHER MMO HAS NUNCHAKU, NONE!!! if they did I'd be playing them and I'd never play one without them again. Why would I? Nunchaku are the real reason I started this thread.
6) NUNCHAKU!!!!!

If that doesn't give it some relevence what would?

No it doesn't matter to any but a small percentage and would only really matter to one class currently and I would put a oriental adventure at the end of a rather long list and so would most players in fact I don't ever even remember it making any of the lists of expansions that have come time to time over the years, I think yours is the first. Expansions that people have listed beyond more of the two worlds we already have have been.

1. Greyhawk
2. Spell jammer
3. Ravenloft
4. City of Sigil
5. Mystra
6. Dragon lance
7. Dark sun
Think there may have been a few more but your a minority in your desire. But never hesitate to ask for what you wish to see but don't get hostile when others disagree.

Ungood
03-26-2014, 03:05 PM
No it doesn't matter to any but a small percentage and would only really matter to one class currently and I would put a oriental adventure at the end of a rather long list and so would most players in fact I don't ever even remember it making any of the lists of expansions that have come time to time over the years, I think yours is the first. Expansions that people have listed beyond more of the two worlds we already have have been.

1. Greyhawk
2. Spell jammer
3. Ravenloft
4. City of Sigil
5. Mystra
6. Dragon lance
7. Dark sun
Think there may have been a few more but your a minority in your desire. But never hesitate to ask for what you wish to see but don't get hostile when others disagree.

While I agree that one man's trash is another man's treasure, we really can't say it's bad idea simply because we don't see how it would profit us, or because it would not cater to our play-style. Truth is in most cases, we can't really tell if we would like something till it becomes real and tangible to us, implementation in regards to ideas like this is the biggest factor. So, with that put out.

I not saying the guy is right or wrong, or if this is even a good idea, or anything of the like, but, an Oriental Adventures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Adventures), expansion would be rather nifty to make happen and I am sure quite a few fans of the Game would flock to the DDO because of that kind of expansion to it. At least as much, if not more so then they would have from the Forgotten Realms expansion.

Personally, I could so see Wu-Jen, Samurai, and a slew of new classes, weapons, and maybe a whole revamp to Monks, and other classes brought into balance into them so that they are not as OPed as they are currently in the purely "European" campaign setting (This was actually talked about how Monks from the AD&D game really were out of place and truly belonged in Oriental Adventures)

This is the exact kind of "expansion" that could open the door for a major overhaul of the game that might fix a lot of the balance issues that people bring up from time to time about the current game. So, I can't really see a downside to that kind of expansion to the game, a lot of good could come from it overall, because it would not just be a "Campaign World" but a revamp of the rules.

That said, I personally feel that the timing would be where the biggest point of contention. We have Wizards of the Cost, making moves to re-invent Forgotten Realms, this means that a lot of fans of DnD will be looking into that Setting, and smart money would tell DDO/Turbine to make moves into that Direction to catch the wave of people looking to get involved with FR again.

But an Oriental Adventures, expansion, is not really a bad idea.

I think it would a great prelude to say.. moving to Dark Sun, that seems to use more of a Middle East/Asia type of foundation then it does of the Traditional Medieval setting.

Uska
03-26-2014, 03:18 PM
While I agree that one man's trash is another man's treasure, we really can't say it's bad idea simply because we don't see how it would profit us, or because it would not cater to our play-style. Truth is in most cases, we can't really tell if we would like something till it becomes real and tangible to us, implementation in regards to ideas like this is the biggest factor. So, with that put out.

I not saying the guy is right or wrong, or if this is even a good idea, or anything of the like, but, an Oriental Adventures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Adventures), expansion would be rather nifty to make happen and I am sure quite a few fans of the Game would flock to the DDO because of that kind of expansion to it. At least as much, if not more so then they would have from the Forgotten Realms expansion.

Personally, I could so see Wu-Jen, Samurai, and a slew of new classes, weapons, and maybe a whole revamp to Monks, and other classes brought into balance into them so that they are not as OPed as they are currently in the purely "European" campaign setting (This was actually talked about how Monks from the AD&D game really were out of place and truly belonged in Oriental Adventures)

This is the exact kind of "expansion" that could open the door for a major overhaul of the game that might fix a lot of the balance issues that people bring up from time to time about the current game. So, I can't really see a downside to that kind of expansion to the game, a lot of good could come from it overall, because it would not just be a "Campaign World" but a revamp of the rules.

That said, I personally feel that the timing would be where the biggest point of contention. We have Wizards of the Cost, making moves to re-invent Forgotten Realms, this means that a lot of fans of DnD will be looking into that Setting, and smart money would tell DDO/Turbine to make moves into that Direction to catch the wave of people looking to get involved with FR again.

But an Oriental Adventures, expansion, is not really a bad idea.

I think it would a great prelude to say.. moving to Dark Sun, that seems to use more of a Middle East/Asia type of foundation then it does of the Traditional Medieval setting.

Didn't say it was a bad idea but never seen it come up as a request for an expansion before the others have come dozens if not hundreds of times and dark sun never felt Asian, middle eastern or medieval to me it really seemed to have its own unique flavor

Ungood
03-26-2014, 03:25 PM
For Point of Reference about Weapons being added to the game:

Rune Arms were added with Rise of the Artificers, Update 11
This also added in the Combat Action of using a Repeating Crossbow One Handed. (as well as dealing with a shooting animation glitch with repeating crossbows in general)

Wizard Orbs were added with Update 16 Netherese Legacy I believe (High Road of Shadow), I would like to add that this is it's own animation when you equip it, it's not a shield animation.

Then there are weapons like "Scepter of the Ogre Magi (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Scepter_of_the_Ogre_Magi)" that use a great club animation.

While this was before I started playing, I am sure Hand-warps (Unarmed Fighting Animation) were added with update 7, which introduced Monks.

So, yes, while rare, new weapons and items do get introduced into the game from time to time.

However, Turbine has openly admitted they do not have an art department, and while I am sure this cuts down on daily overhead, this means, new models, animations, and the like are outsourced and this expensive, which means, they will be few and far between.

unbongwah
03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
There are plenty of games which cater to martial-arts fans. DDO isn't one of them.

There are a lot of D&D weapon types which DDO doesn't include, like chain weapons, polearms besides staves (don't really count Sireth since it still uses staff animation), etc. What's the rationale behind why Turbine should prioritize the weapons you want to see before other "classic" weapon types?

That's a huge amount of content creation you're proposing, far more than just a few new animations & weapon types.

I'd like some more variety too, but I don't see that being a priority anytime soon.

While this was before I started playing, I am sure Hand-warps (Unarmed Fighting Animation) were added with update 7, which introduced Monks.
Slight correction: monks were introduced in Module 7 (http://ddowiki.com/page/Module_7:_The_Way_of_the_Monk), not Update 7 (http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_7). Turbine changed how they numbered their updates (http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Modules_and_updates) when they went F2P.

Ungood
03-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Didn't say it was a bad idea but never seen it come up as a request for an expansion before the others have come dozens if not hundreds of times and dark sun never felt Asian, middle eastern or medieval to me it really seemed to have its own unique flavor

Really, while I have not played Dark Sun, so all I know is from the art, which looks very "Stereotypical old world middle east" with the vast deserts and sand dunes, people wearing wrapped cloth clothing outfits, depicted with nomadic life style, etc, etc.

But, I have no real working idea of the game world.

unbongwah
03-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Really, while I have not played Dark Sun, so all I know is from the art, which looks very "Stereotypical old world middle east" with the vast deserts and sand dunes, people wearing wrapped cloth clothing outfits, depicted with nomadic life style, etc, etc.
Dark Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun) is a post-apocalyptic / "Dying Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_Earth_subgenre)"-style setting on a desert world which has been ruined by magic. There are the usual D&D races, but they've been warped by the setting; so you have, say, nomadic elven savages (kinda like Eberron drow) and halfling cannibals. :) I thought I read somewhere that Dark Sun was the first D&D setting to introduce psionics, but I can't find corroboration for that.

Uska
03-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Dark Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun) is a post-apocalyptic / "Dying Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_Earth_subgenre)"-style setting on a desert world which has been ruined by magic. There are the usual D&D races, but they've been warped by the setting; so you have, say, nomadic elven savages (kinda like Eberron drow) and halfling cannibals. :) I thought I read somewhere that Dark Sun was the first D&D setting to introduce psionics, but I can't find corroboration for that.

Maybe the first setting to have them be a core part but psiionics were a part of dnd long long before dark sun they are in the 1st ed ad&d phb.

Memnir
03-26-2014, 06:09 PM
But, I have no real working idea of the game world.Think D&D by the way of Mad Max.

With a good DM, it's amazing. With a sub-par DM it's agonizingly bad.

Uska
03-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Think D&D by the way of Mad Max.

With a good DM, it's amazing. With a sub-par DM it's agonizingly bad.

Good analogy and yeah a sub-par gm. really hurts anyone's view of any game actually

Memnir
03-26-2014, 06:58 PM
\yeah a sub-par gm. really hurts anyone's view of any game actuallyGranted. But, there are some settings that have a bit of leeway with bad DMs. Forgotten Realms, for example, is like pizza... a good DM makes a FR game something special, but a bad DM is still serviceable for that setting. Not remarkable, but it still gets the job done. Dark Sun, on the other hand, has very little cushion for a bad DM. I had a bad DM for a Dark Sun campaign, and it was simply aweful. The next Dark Sun one was run by one of the best DMs I know, and even after 20 or so years, it remains one of the best tabletop campaigns I've ever been a part of. :)

This would be one of my greatest hesitations to seeing Turbine attempt to tackle Dark Sun as a future setting. Not only is it almost unworkable, mechanics-wise, with how Turbine has fashioned their DDO "campaign"... I'd hesitate to call Turbine a great DM. Good. Serviceable. But, I don't think they'd make a Dark Sun setting into something special that would still bring a smile to my face twenty or so years down the road.

Uska
03-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Granted. But, there are some settings that have a bit of leeway with bad DMs. Forgotten Realms, for example, is like pizza... a good DM makes a FR game something special, but a bad DM is still serviceable for that setting. Not remarkable, but it still gets the job done. Dark Sun, on the other hand, has very little cushion for a bad DM. I had a bad DM for a Dark Sun campaign, and it was simply aweful. The next Dark Sun one was run by one of the best DMs I know, and even after 20 or so years, it remains one of the best tabletop campaigns I've ever been a part of. :)

This would be one of my greatest hesitations to seeing Turbine attempt to tackle Dark Sun as a future setting. Not only is it almost unworkable, mechanics-wise, with how Turbine has fashioned their DDO "campaign"... I'd hesitate to call Turbine a great DM. Good. Serviceable. But, I don't think they'd make a Dark Sun setting into something special that would still bring a smile to my face twenty or so years down the road.

Gonna disagree never seen any gm that could make me like the realms and bad one could make me hate dnd maybe if I didn't know I was in the realms. Heck I haven't gone to eveningstar in forever and don't know if I will ever go to the newest update never liked the hauntedhalls or mr greenwood. My best world to be in was one by a friend 2nd best maybe Mystra.

My worries about Dark Sun is that they wouldn't do the changes they would need to do to get the real feel such as changing magic and making metal extremely rare.

droid327
03-26-2014, 07:45 PM
I'd rather see Spelljammer than DS....I get the feeling that DS might end up just being Sands of Menechtarun x100, and/or would come off too "Dune Online" as an MMO, but I think Spelljammer would be a good campaign setting for this game and this engine :)

Uska
03-27-2014, 04:58 AM
I'd rather see Spelljammer than DS....I get the feeling that DS might end up just being Sands of Menechtarun x100, and/or would come off too "Dune Online" as an MMO, but I think Spelljammer would be a good campaign setting for this game and this engine :)

I have always hated spell jammer even more than the realms I mean basically spaceships meh. Never saw the attraction never will. I say give me greyhawk

Ungood
03-27-2014, 07:37 AM
I have always hated spell jammer even more than the realms I mean basically spaceships meh. Never saw the attraction never will. I say give me greyhawk

While Personally, I never really paid attention much to settings, I mean, really, a long sword is going to be a long sword, my friends and I would make up our own cities and stories and worlds, and we play a game of DnD, with the monsters we had, and just make stuff up as we went along. When we used Modules, we never thought "Oh this is Forgotten Realms", in fact, up till the Dragonlance Rule book came out, I was unaware there was even "realms" or "settings"

My only experience with Campaign Words as irony would have it is from story books and art work that I had not started to read or even pay attention to till much later, in fact, after I had stopped playing the actual game.

When I was younger, and playing the game, it was more fun and easier to build the "adventure" around the latest fantasy Movie, like Conan, or Clash of the Titans.

droid327
03-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Not spaceships, its sailing ships in space, that's the difference :) You have to worry about being boarded by a crew of Illithid pirates, not explosive decompression or cosmic radiation...that's why I think it'd fit nicely into DDO, we already basically have that in places like CC and 3BC, its just expanding further in that direction.

An actual "spaceship" MMO would be extremely frustrating. "Ok, roll for routine procedures....oh, you rolled a 1, critical failure: a short circuit lights a spark, it runs out of control in an oxygen-rich environment and everyone on board dies, game over" :D

Ungood
03-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Not spaceships, its sailing ships in space, that's the difference :) You have to worry about being boarded by a crew of Illithid pirates, not explosive decompression or cosmic radiation...that's why I think it'd fit nicely into DDO, we already basically have that in places like CC and 3BC, its just expanding further in that direction.

An actual "spaceship" MMO would be extremely frustrating. "Ok, roll for routine procedures....oh, you rolled a 1, critical failure: a short circuit lights a spark, it runs out of control in an oxygen-rich environment and everyone on board dies, game over" :D

I thought Spell Jammer did have "Space Ships" they were just these giant star faring creatures that people could live in, like in Farscape (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farscape) where the ship was a living organism.

Nope, I am wrong, just looked them up, and while the ships do look like "living things" it's really just a "Ship" like a Sailing Ship, that flies through space, and is made to look like manta rays, or squids, or dragons or whatever.

Living and learning.

You know... this would be a great "next step" with the guild ships, when they opt to go with guild levels above 100, like once you get past 100, you can upgrade your guild ship to a war-vessel for Spell Jammer, and have ship to ship combat out in open space. That would be an amazing expansion that I would GLADLY Pay for.

LastCrusader
03-27-2014, 02:11 PM
There are 2 ways to make asian weapons different. First, Since shields are almost unknown in asian fighting styles, they emphasise using the weapons to block, so asian weapons could grant armor class bonuses similar to shields. None of the existing weapons do that.
Second, many of the weapons could have faster animations allowing them to attack more quickly.

but don't get hostile when others disagree.
I didn't get hostile. My all caps were an expression of excitement not anger and I didn't say anything insulting or threatening. It last line "NUNCHAKU!!!" was supposed to be funny.

As for the guy who mocked the add campaign about sais: he picked just one weapon to mock, but an add campaign that showed several new weapons each with 2 or 3 animations would be cool.

Since people keep pointing out that there are other games I could be playing, (Heracy!) I'll repete No MMO has nunchaku. None. This feature would be UNIQUE, which is why it would be great for bringing new people. If I'm wrong about that, if there is another MMO with nunchaku let me know and I'll go play that game and never bother you again.

Finally I'm not expecting and cetainly not insisting that this be a major priority. I know there are other things going on and I don't expect anyone to say "lets drop everything to get to work on this right now". I know that if it happens it's going to be down the road a bit. That doesn't matter to me, I've got to start somewhere. My hope is that by proposing the idea I can get others to voice thier desire for it and maybe make it happen one day.

droid327
03-27-2014, 05:24 PM
There are 2 ways to make asian weapons different. First, Since shields are almost unknown in asian fighting styles, they emphasise using the weapons to block, so asian weapons could grant armor class bonuses similar to shields. None of the existing weapons do that.
Second, many of the weapons could have faster animations allowing them to attack more quickly.

No, then you're suggesting that every current (Western-style) weapon class be made completely obsolete, because the "Asian" weapons would be unequivocally better in every situation.

You first suggested they merely be cosmetic. Now you're suggesting they be functionally different.

Since people keep pointing out that there are other games I could be playing, (Heracy!) I'll repete No MMO has nunchaku. None. This feature would be UNIQUE, which is why it would be great for bringing new people.

No MMO has nunchucks, apparently, you're right about that. I imagine such a dynamic weapon is rather hard to animate, if I had to hazard a guess. However, I think the potential new players that nunchucks would bring includes only you, and you're already here :)

LastCrusader
03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
No, then you're suggesting that every current (Western-style) weapon class be made completely obsolete, because the "Asian" weapons would be unequivocally better in every situation.
You first suggested they merely be cosmetic. Now you're suggesting they be functionally different.
No MMO has nunchucks, apparently, you're right about that. I imagine such a dynamic weapon is rather hard to animate, if I had to hazard a guess. However, I think the potential new players that nunchucks would bring includes only you, and you're already here :)

1) Actually they would still be in ballance because only the paired or 2 handed weapons would get the Armor Class bonus. (Strangly nunchaku can be paired or 2 handed but no one uses them one handed ever)

2) I did change from suggeting purely cosmetic to functional changes, but that's because a lot of the responses said it wouldn't be worth it if were just cosmetic so I came up with a subtantial difference. I would personally be happy with them being purely cosmetic. I suggested real changes only because it might win some people to my side.

3) I think there are a lot of people who would jump at a chance to play nunchaku if anyone was offering it. and since I will play any game that offers them, if someone else beats you to it you'd lose me and maybe a few others, as well as missing out on the other people who've never played this game but will flock to whoever is first.

Ungood
03-27-2014, 09:32 PM

I don't think Nunchucks would even bring him in, on a standalone basis ;)

But I do think that an Oriental Adventures Expansion, or Campaign, might wet the appetite of many DnD fans to check this game out, as an alternative to the over-the-top anime games that are their only other choices right now.

LastCrusader
03-27-2014, 09:59 PM
I don't think Nunchucks would even bring him in, on a standalone basis ;)

Yes They would.
of course I'm already here, but as I said if anyone else offers them first that's where I'm going

Enderoc
03-30-2014, 01:34 AM
Isn't the whole idea behind Kensai allowing a monk/fighter to use martial weapons of focus while still remaining centered because it generates ki? Am I wrong here? If you reach Kensai, I believe any weapon besides crossbows that is your focus you should also be allowed to use while still remaining centered if you are unarmored. If you want to make it achievable at a certain Monk level enhancement that is fine...just saying the two should work together if you are generating Ki.

Prestige classes are sometimes multi-classed in PNP and there should be enhancements that are made to work together in hybrid states of Prestige. I understand at the beginning simplicity was of the essence. If you want people to evolve from Past lives, then new hybrid multi classed Prestige enhancements should unlock a whole other Tree to draw from that combines the talents of both or even all three if people multi rather then dual class.

Bard sword singers, Ranger Trapmakers, Arcane Priests etc. there is a lot of room for imagination as far as multi-classed Prestige classes can go for this online campaign we are running.

For example a Ranger could have in the Deepwood Sniper line an enhancement that allows an inherent bonus that would count towards disable device only in the aspect for trapmaking. Multi-classing with rogue would make that even stronger. It can go from there its only ideas and went far from the original post.

LastCrusader
04-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Isn't the whole idea behind Kensai allowing a monk/fighter to use martial weapons of focus while still remaining centered because it generates ki? Am I wrong here? If you reach Kensai, I believe any weapon besides crossbows that is your focus you should also be allowed to use while still remaining centered if you are unarmored. If you want to make it achievable at a certain Monk level enhancement that is fine...just saying the two should work together if you are generating Ki.

Prestige classes are sometimes multi-classed in PNP and there should be enhancements that are made to work together in hybrid states of Prestige. I understand at the beginning simplicity was of the essence. If you want people to evolve from Past lives, then new hybrid multi classed Prestige enhancements should unlock a whole other Tree to draw from that combines the talents of both or even all three if people multi rather then dual class.

Bard sword singers, Ranger Trapmakers, Arcane Priests etc. there is a lot of room for imagination as far as multi-classed Prestige classes can go for this online campaign we are running.

For example a Ranger could have in the Deepwood Sniper line an enhancement that allows an inherent bonus that would count towards disable device only in the aspect for trapmaking. Multi-classing with rogue would make that even stronger. It can go from there its only ideas and went far from the original post.

I've always found all that stuff way too complicated to think about and would never bother multiclassing a monk.

Saekee
04-01-2014, 07:03 PM
I think the best way to incorporate the OP's ideas is to create a few low-level items that could be integrated into the existing attack animations, attributes and visuals. Maybe a simple quest on an island like Ataraxia, where a ship from the Far East appears. One could then maybe get one of these martial arts named items. Here are some simple suggestions:

1) Nunchuck : 1d6, Stun+6, Vicious (since anyone would hit themselves with it in battle). Give it a club animation.
2) Sai 1d6, short sword visual (the one that looks like a Sai), does Bludgeoning, not piercing damage, and Greater Parrying. Would be great for Skellies...
3) the Fan thingy: Offhand only, works like Spikes attribute, adds a couple to AC, and can be used with Shield Blocking (pretty useless)
4) Tonfa: wraps animation, bludgeoning. DDO characters would pick them up and hit mobs with the part that normally rests in the hand...Or, if you want that they can use them, the animation would be like handwraps, but they would give their bonuses to AC--maybe Greater Parrying against slashing attacks, boost unarmed attacks like wraps do?
5) Chains: I have not seen it, but I think there is some animation for chain attacks with the Shadar Kai?
etc.

since they require exotic weapon proficiency (other than the Sai) the funny thing would be how they do not really work to their full potential.