PDA

View Full Version : Tank builds, Intimidate and a consolidation of tank ideas- based on 2014 content

hockeyrama
03-20-2014, 06:46 AM
I had a few different tanks over the years. I have used a monk tank (couple versions of it) and my main tank was a dwarf fighter then tr'd into a human tank with evasion after they changed the ac. i have been running other toons for a long time and basically have not touched my tank for over a year. I went to look into builds and ideas and there is no consolidation of builds and ideas focused on tanks that is based on new changes (enhancement pass and others). What I hope to have here is a place we can sort out the best ideas and links for a tank. When I logged back on to my human 18 figuter/2monk chimera fang, tower shield, light armored tank I had to redo enhancements and all kinds of things. I will be eating a lesser tome at some point to make some adjustments and can use a +20 or +1 if needed.

Issues: he has evasion, around 150 AC and 100PRR and is level 25 with basically older gear. SO with no sheltering item and some more options I can boost these numbers some so in the end not the worst but not amazing by no means. His biggest issue was intimidate. With a gs item, coin lord finishing school +8 charisma item (no good luck item or any boost there) a gh and ship buffs in tier 4 (he did not destiny farm) of US he was sitting at a 80 intimi with a +15 intimi item. I heard the goal now is about 110 intimidation for no-fail on the highest EE in the game. So change to a +20 item, 3 more points from epic and he would be at 88 add in a good hope +2 and 90. So basically with 23 points in intim and starting at a 13 charisma with a +3 tome I am not sure what I need to do for him to get his intimi high enough. He has sentinel dragonmark and I added 3 points to the first tier human to get +3 there, and a few other enhancements gave intimi boost as well that I added (I think it was like +9 from enhancments). I could take some feats as well but that is not always the best option (I like extra toughness where possible but can swap feats if needed).

So there are a couple of options for builds I was thinking about and some thigns I would like discussed as well.

FIrst: how to max intimidate in current content with gear, feats, enhancements .....
Second: what stacks and what does not in the different racial, pally, monk and fighter trees (in relation to anything tankwise, dodge, intimi, ac, PRR.
Third: different tank ideas: Con based dwarven defenders, pally tanks, hybrids, evasion tanks, ac tanks, heavy armor S&B....
FOurth: tactics - especially relative to new content (example how to tank the fire dragon when they get the 400% melee damage from the crystal and other raids and ideas.
Fifth: explanation of different concepts (evasion tank versus non-evasion), feat choices (in particular if the guy is mainly designed to tank 1 boss at a time (1 dragon for example) how much does the THF line help (given bastard sword or dwarven weps) http://ddowiki.com/page/Glancing_blow and http://ddowiki.com/page/Greater_Two-Handed_Fighting. I just not fully sure how the boost to dps works on a single target. IF you take the 4 feats (3 reg, 1 epic) you get 3 extra hits as glancing blows out of 4 but they all at most for 60% damage on your main target with some chance for specials to have a chance to proc. So say you hit for 70 damage you would get 126 damage more over 4 attacks I assume plus a 19% chance for additional procs.

Basically I want a place for people to come to get a complete list of ideas based on current content and gear. Basically an updated guide for all tanks.

Nightmanis
03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Ironically, I would consider fury to be a better tanking destiny than sentinel. It has several much better ways at keeping agro (adrenaline on a throwing weapon, insult, faster regen than smite) while also giving a nice bonus to hp. While yes you get better defenses in sentinel, it can all really be summed up in just the passive prr bonus and knockdown immunity. The majority just hang out admiring their e-peen in vigor for the hp.

Now, obviously yes you can't use adrenaline with defender stance going, but you would mostly use it with a thrower for that initial ranged agro generation.

Also note that due to the diminishing return on prr, that 10 you get innately from sentinel might equal out to maybe 1-2% overall defense. I personally would rather have better agro gen than 1% Dr. Plus you can twist the threat attack from sentinel, plus momentum swing for more agro.

Eth
03-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Ironically, I would consider fury to be a better tanking destiny than sentinel. It has several much better ways at keeping agro (adrenaline on a throwing weapon, insult, faster regen than smite) while also giving a nice bonus to hp. While yes you get better defenses in sentinel, it can all really be summed up in just the passive prr bonus and knockdown immunity. The majority just hang out admiring their e-peen in vigor for the hp.

Now, obviously yes you can't use adrenaline with defender stance going, but you would mostly use it with a thrower for that initial ranged agro generation.

Also note that due to the diminishing return on prr, that 10 you get innately from sentinel might equal out to maybe 1-2% overall defense. I personally would rather have better agro gen than 1% Dr. Plus you can twist the threat attack from sentinel, plus momentum swing for more agro.

Regarding the new content, I think the most important thing in sentinel is knockdown immunity.

hockeyrama
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Knockdown immunity for dragon trips is a huge thing. When I kite dragons on my moncher when trip could be the end since I am in FOTW so I think of it as similar on a tank. You can't due alot when you are unable to do anything.

Nightmanis
03-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Is it really that much of a rampant problem? I haven't been able to run any of the new raids but even then my main is an acrobat. I really should work on an alt to get then raid worthy again..

hockeyrama
03-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Well i have not tanked them yet just kited with Moncher so not sure how big an issue it would be for a tank but I can say on a moncher it is a huge issue as u are barely ever swung at never mind actually hit because you are always moving. Getting knocked down on the moncher is huge. For the tank it may not be as big an issue but I know that at the end of the 2 dragon raid they hit for insane damge when they get the crystal boost and even tanks start kiting the boss at that time (or at least the tanks I was watching). They did it not because they can't take one hit but more because 1 or 2 hits (depending on the tank) can put them close to dead and there is no need to damage the dragons at that point as peeps shoudl be focusing on the crystal.

I just like the ability to stand in there and not have to worry about being on the ground. When you are on the ground u cannot do anything and I have had to self heal many a time in raids and so being up is very nice.

The other thing that sentinal does gives is +6 intimi in the core of the tree which is nice boost to something that is hard to get high enough in the new end game content.

Mahalko128
03-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Look, I've been a pure fighter tank for over a year now and lately I've been trying out the idea of, as you suggested, 18 fighter/2 monk. Haven't gotten that character up to being ready for Thunder but from what I've seen, it works. Splendidly. The trick though is to understand that you need as much mitigation as possible. My current character has 18% dodge, 10% incorporeality, 50% displacement (Eternal Flask of Displacement for 1 minute and a GreenSteel item for two minutes thirty seconds), and knowledge of when to switch from light armor for evasion to heavy armor for non-magic encounters. Also understand that the extremely high intimidate you mainly see as "required" (100+) is generally for certain rare occassions such as EE Lord of Blades and potentially the new content that's recently come out. Where you're at right now, that 85-90 range? That's great! You're probably for anything going to be successfully intimidating at the least 90% of the time and really that's all you need. There's no real need to sacrifice essential survival gear for that last 10% when it's only for the rarest of occassions. As well, anything north of 125 AC will basically have you set for all content (though that heavy armor with the 60 DR for under 75% health is puuurty). Gear is essential though and so is knowing that you, rather you like it or not, as a tank, decide every battle you come across. That means tactically you have to be on top of everything that's going on in each and every battle at all times. This requires maneuvering and not staying in one place for not too long so you can always have a look at what everyone else is doing. As the tank, you're in charge, and you have to act like that. I've posted my personal builds for a full fighter tank and the 18 fighter/2 monk split below in the same thread so you can have a good luck at what's required of tanks these days.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/432934-Pure-Fighter-Stalwart-Defender

Musashiclaw
03-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Gear is very important.
After not playing for a year I am back and looking at what gear I should look at for my tank.
He is a level 25 18/2 Fighter Pally. sitting at 157 AC 100 PRR 1350 hp and there are so many gear slots he should upgrade.
What are your tanks wearing?
What gear your you trying to get?

unbongwah
03-22-2014, 10:37 AM
What are your tanks wearing?
What gear your you trying to get?
See my Sacred Defender thread: I put an epic "starter" gear set in the second post; others have suggestions later on. I suspect endgame gear will eventually consist mostly of Thunderholme (http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_21_named_items) / Thunderforged (http://ddowiki.com/page/Thunder_Forge) stuff, with EE Gianthold / Storm Horns gear filling in the gaps.

hockeyrama
03-23-2014, 12:03 AM
actually I did look at your builds and the one of the h-elf you linked in your post before I made this one.

Also I did not recommend per se the 18 fightrer 2 monk was just saying that is what I have now and to be honest the reason why I started posting here as I find him kind of gimped. He has just north of 150 ac in light armor, somewhere in the teens for his dodge (could squeak out more but AP is getting a bit tight), a 10% incorporeal item on at all times, very high heal amp (took the 3 form human and 1 shintao and a 30% bracers), prr is just about 100. He also has just under 1400 normal running hps. I was just saying where I was and that it is not the best but not the worst either.

Swappiing from heavy gear to light does not actually change acc and prr that much with lithe twisted I lose some prr but the armor I have is not that bad.

Some things hurt this build:
1:with intimi in low 80's it just not that great anymore (however a few levels and some gear and should hit 90 easy enough).
2: gear is all over 1 year old so would need to upgrade that as well
3: I did not destiny farm with this toon a lot so do not have twists like cocoon available yet so not a lot of self heal (silver flame, cure mods, heal scrolls (but then you have to swap wep which is never good)
4: I usually only build for end game whatever that is so he needs to be able to do what is required for that and if that means over 100 intimi then I need to find out where I can make that work. My monkcher runs everything on ee and the two thunder raids on eh (have not found many groups running the ee or I would join there).

I will be eating a lesser and redoing him a bit. For EE you need high intimi, damage mitigation, good to ok dps with lots of hate and very high hps.

hockeyrama
03-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Here is how I will look after using a lesser heart (free one). I did not focus a lot on dps here (no overwhelming crit and level ups in con instead of str so will have to see how well I hold aggro. I went intimi and defense focus for now (I did not add a lot to charisma but if I can't get intmi high enough then will have to look into it later when I actually tr into a final build (a final build with ll have pally fighter and monk I just need to test out things on the fighter 18 2 monk to see where I stand).

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.20.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 28 Lawful Neutral Human Male
(18 Fighter \ 2 Monk \ 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 847
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
Fortitude: 22
Reflex: 13
Will: 10

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 28)
Strength 14 18
Dexterity 10 13
Constitution 17 26
Intelligence 9 13
Wisdom 8 11
Charisma 14 18

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
+4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
+4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 28)
Balance 4 29
Bluff 2 12
Concentration 3 22
Diplomacy 2 12
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 2 15
Heal -1 11
Hide 0 9
Intimidate 3 49
Jump 6 18
Listen -1 8
Move Silently 0 9
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 9
Search -1 9
Spellcraft -1 9
Spot -1 8
Swim 2 12
Tumble 2 13
Use Magic Device 4 23

Level 1 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 2 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Bash

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword

Level 4 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 5 (Fighter)

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Intimidate
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting

Level 7 (Fighter)

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 9 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Bullheaded

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 13 (Fighter)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 15 (Fighter)

Level 16 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Combat Expertise

Level 17 (Fighter)

Level 18 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Deflection

Level 19 (Fighter)

Level 20 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Toughness

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Damage Reduction

Level 28 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Toughness
Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Defense Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Focused (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Focused (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Human - Focused (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Don't Count Me Out (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Shield Mastery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Shield Mastery (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Human - Shield Mastery (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Ninja Training (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Sneak Attack Training (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Acrobatic (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Acrobatic (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Agility (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Agility (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Ninja Spy (Mnk) - Agility (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Shintao (Mnk) - Bastion of Purity (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Shintao (Mnk) - Exemplar (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Shintao (Mnk) - Exemplar (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Shintao (Mnk) - Exemplar (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Toughness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Overbalance (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stand Fast (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Defensive Sweep (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Inciting Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Inciting Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Inciting Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defensive Mastery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defensive Mastery (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Defensive Mastery (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Threatening Countenance (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Threatening Countenance (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Threatening Countenance (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Durable Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Durable Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Durable Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Shield Mastery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Shield Mastery (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Stalwart Shield Mastery (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Swift Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Hardy Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Hardy Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Hardy Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Reinforced Shield (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Reinforced Shield (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Reinforced Shield (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Block and Cut (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Block and Cut (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Block and Cut (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Strong Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Strong Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Strong Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Reinforced Armor (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Reinforced Armor (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Stalwart Defender (Ftr) - Reinforced Armor (Rank 3)

pappo
12-14-2014, 10:38 AM
I recently tanked Thunder Peaks and FOT with this build. I do get knocked down, sometimes, but don't take much damage. I can tank with Shield Block and my Cure Serious, Consecrate/Sacred Ground, and 11 Lay on of Hands keep my healing up.

Level 28 Lawful Good Human Male
(20 Paladin \ 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 404
Spell Points: 260
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 18
Reflex: 9
Will: 9

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 28) (Level 28)
Strength 16 23 25
Dexterity 10 10 10
Constitution 16 16 16
Intelligence 10 10 10
Wisdom 10 10 10
Charisma 14 14 14

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 28) (Level 28)
Balance 1 9 17
Bluff 2 2 10
Concentration 5 12 20
Diplomacy 2 2 10
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle 2 2 10
Heal 2 10 18
Hide 0 0 8
Intimidate 4 12 20
Jump 3 7 15
Listen 0 0 8
Move Silently 0 0 8
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 0 0 8
Search 0 0 8
Spellcraft 0 0 8
Spot 0 0 8
Swim 3 7 15
Tumble 1 1 9
Use Magic Device 3 12 20

Level 1 (Paladin)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Concentration (+2)
Skill: Heal (+2)
Skill: Intimidate (+2)
Skill: Tumble (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
Feat: (Deity) Follower of the Sovereign Host
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Feat: (Human Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 2 (Paladin)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)

Level 3 (Paladin)
Skill: Heal (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword

Level 4 (Paladin)
Ability Raise: STR
Skill: Concentration (+1)

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)

Level 15 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge

Level 19 (Paladin)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)

Level 20 (Paladin)

Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Damage Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Human Adaptability: Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Don't Count Me Out (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Don't Count Me Out (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Human - Don't Count Me Out (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Human - Shield Mastery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Shield Mastery (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Human - Shield Mastery (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Holy Bastion (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Divine Righteousness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Redemption (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Glorious Stand (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Eternal Defender (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 2)wwww
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Durable Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Armor Mastery (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Bulwark Aura (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Inciting Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Inciting Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Inciting Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Shield Mastery (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Shield Mastery (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Sacred Shield Mastery (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Resilient Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Hardy Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Hardy Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Hardy Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Reinforced Armor (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Reinforced Armor (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Reinforced Armor (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Swift Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Strong Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Reinforced Shield (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Reinforced Shield (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Reinforced Shield (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Harbored by Light (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Harbored by Light (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Harbored by Light (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Sacred Defender (Pal) - Tenacious Defense (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - To the Fore! (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Combat (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Vicious Shield (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Specialization I (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - No Weakness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - No Weakness (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Specialization II (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Missile Shield (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Missile Shield (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Missile Shield (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Specialization III (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Reposte (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Reposte (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Reposte (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Strength (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Vanguard (Pal) - Shield Charge (Rank 1)

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Holy Strike

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Damage Reduction

Level 28 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting

-----------------------------------------------
For Epic Destinies, I am mostly doing this for now:

Epic Destiny: Divine Crusader

t1 Bane of Undeath (or +1 cha), Interrogation, Purge the wicked
t2: Consecration, Flames of purity
t3: Empyrean Magic, Sacred Ground
t4. No Regret, Crusade,
t5 Celestial Champion, Castigation
t6 Celestial Bombardement
* Pick heavenly presence on ee wgu.

Twists:
Energy burst (fire), haste boost if fire inmune mobs
Legendary shield mastery
Dragonhide / Unearthy reactions/Brace for impact (pick 2 of them depending on quest)

Annyee
12-16-2014, 07:38 PM
There is a lot of wrong info and bad ideas here.....
If you want to tank run Unyielding Sentinel or go home. FotW IS NOT a tanking stance.
You do not need a light armor Evasion setup. Heavy armor with a no fail Ref and High MRR is more than enough.
AC of 125 in EE is not good enough. Around 200+ you will see more misses than hits.
Intim of 110 is a bench mark for EE LoB. Newer EE content requires more. Highest Intim check I have found is 147.
Don't forget about saves and balance. End game req's massive saves and the dragons will still overrun you.

My basic Build and Numbers with full guild buffs: Human 16/2/2 Pally/Mnk/Ftr. Heroic past lives: 2 Ftr 1 Pally. Epic past lives: 1 Brace 1 DoubleStrike. Hero Feats: Bullheaded, Combat Expertise, Improved Critical, Shield Mastry, Improved Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Bash, Lighting Ref, Exotic Weapon Khopesh, Quicken Spell, Skill Focus Intim, Toughness, Ftr Past life Student of the Sword. Epic Feats: Epic Skill Focus Intim, Perfect two weapon, Bulwark of Def, Epic Ref, Epic Toughness. Twists: Draconic Presence, Lithe, Endless Turning (Twist as needed for content)

1489HP, 1115SP, 230AC, 218PRR, 131MRR, 96 99 81 saves, 33% Doublestrike, 58 Melee power, Positive Spell power 307, Hamp 110, 177% Fort (can't seem to pull a Epic Minos ATM ><), 65 balance/78 heal/130 Intim/46 UMD, 10% 15% 45% 50% 100% 200% 20%-100% extra threat, 9% dodge(w/Tower Shield), 58 34 44 20 30 44 with Divine Might running and in US. Something like that will make a self healing EE tank.

Could I pull some Feats and add more damage by switching to a B.Sword? Yea, I could. Should I? Depends. It is always a trade off for more tank or more spank. Everyone is different and has their own comfort zone on where to split the diffrence. I do enough damage to solo EE without hating my Tank and I have enough Threat to hold boss agro for Raids that need it. Of course I also run T3 ThunderForge Khops. Without Thunderforge would Khops offer enough DPS? Maybe. Would T2 Thunderforge be enough DPS to run Khops? Maybe. Depends on your setup, how you like your toon to DPS, and supporting gear.

TBO most people do not know what a tank in DDo is anymore. Melee DPS with some AC and PRR does not make a tank.

pappo
12-16-2014, 08:59 PM
If you want to tank run Unyielding Sentinel or go home. FotW IS NOT a tanking stance.
You do not need a light armor Evasion setup. Heavy armor with a no fail Ref and High MRR is more than enough.
AC of 125 in EE is not good enough. Around 200+ you will see more misses than hits.
Intim of 110 is a bench mark for EE LoB. Newer EE content requires more. Highest Intim check I have found is 147.
Don't forget about saves and balance. End game req's massive saves and the dragons will still overrun you.

My basic Build and Numbers with full guild buffs: Human 16/2/2 Pally/Mnk/Ftr. Heroic past lives: 2 Ftr 1 Pally. Epic past lives: 1 Brace 1 DoubleStrike. Hero Feats: Bullheaded, Combat Expertise, Improved Critical, Shield Mastry, Improved Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Bash, Lighting Ref, Exotic Weapon Khopesh, Quicken Spell, Skill Focus Intim, Toughness, Ftr Past life Student of the Sword. Epic Feats: Epic Skill Focus Intim, Perfect two weapon, Bulwark of Def, Epic Ref, Epic Toughness. Twists: Draconic Presence, Lithe, Endless Turning (Twist as needed for content)

1489HP, 1115SP, 230AC, 218PRR, 131MRR, 96 99 81 saves, 33% Doublestrike, 58 Melee power, Positive Spell power 307, Hamp 110, 177% Fort (can't seem to pull a Epic Minos ATM ><), 65 balance/78 heal/130 Intim/46 UMD, 10% 15% 45% 50% 100% 200% 20%-100% extra threat, 9% dodge(w/Tower Shield), 58 34 44 20 30 44 with Divine Might running and in US. Something like that will make a self healing EE tank.

Could I pull some Feats and add more damage by switching to a B.Sword? Yea, I could. Should I? Depends. It is always a trade off for more tank or more spank. Everyone is different and has their own comfort zone on where to split the diffrence. I do enough damage to solo EE without hating my Tank and I have enough Threat to hold boss agro for Raids that need it. Of course I also run T3 ThunderForge Khops. Without Thunderforge would Khops offer enough DPS? Maybe. Would T2 Thunderforge be enough DPS to run Khops? Maybe. Depends on your setup, how you like your toon to DPS, and supporting gear.

TBO most people do not know what a tank in DDo is anymore. Melee DPS with some AC and PRR does not make a tank.

Do you not do any DPS as a tank? What do you use, if not using bastard swords, for DPS ?
I'm not the main DPS guy, but I like to protect myself a little and help on trash mobs.

Annyee
12-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Do you not do any DPS as a tank? What do you use, if not using bastard swords, for DPS ?
I'm not the main DPS guy, but I like to protect myself a little and help on trash mobs.

Read the second to last paragraph.

pappo
12-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Read the second to last paragraph.

My bad. I didn't look closely at your feats list.
Very impressive AC/PRR/MRR,and Saves.

Theolin
12-17-2014, 08:17 AM

I agree got to get AC, PRR, MRR, Healing Amp, threat and Intim as high as possible.
I use a 15 pal / 2 ftr / 3 wiz with no epic past lives
I have numbers of 1480 HP, 1050 SP, 248 PRR, 115 MRR, 160 hAmp, 36% DS, 165% fort, 260 Pos SPower, 52 melePower
I did drop AC from my trees to free up some APs so mine is pretty low
Similar stats, I am missing the saves & extra threat on my build :(
Feats: PA, Cleave, Gcleave, OC, Extend, IC Slash, Shield Mastery, Imp shield mastery, Imp shield bash, THF, ITHF, GTHF, PTWF
I run in Unyielding, with some LD twists or if i need to do more healing I will switch to Crusader
I thought about going with combat expertise with a twist of improved combat expertise for an extra 20 PRR but would need one more feat for it

Annyee
12-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I agree got to get AC, PRR, MRR, Healing Amp, threat and Intim as high as possible.
I use a 15 pal / 2 ftr / 3 wiz with no epic past lives
I have numbers of 1480 HP, 1050 SP, 248 PRR, 115 MRR, 160 hAmp, 36% DS, 165% fort, 260 Pos SPower, 52 melePower
I did drop AC from my trees to free up some APs so mine is pretty low
Similar stats, I am missing the saves & extra threat on my build :(
Feats: PA, Cleave, Gcleave, OC, Extend, IC Slash, Shield Mastery, Imp shield mastery, Imp shield bash, THF, ITHF, GTHF, PTWF
I run in Unyielding, with some LD twists or if i need to do more healing I will switch to Crusader
I thought about going with combat expertise with a twist of improved combat expertise for an extra 20 PRR but would need one more feat for it

Your PRR is A++.
If you pick up CE then you may as well drop PA. If you drop PA then Cleave and Great Cleave will go too. That will free up 2 more feats. To make up for the loss in AoE (cleaves) Knight of the Chalice has a T2 ability Exalted Cleave. 1 AP per rank. If you run Improved CE for PRR boost you could free up some AP that make that 248 PRR for Exalted Cleave. In the end you will lose some damage, gain more AC and possibly some more PRR.

And that is the life of a tank. More Tank = less spank. Everyone has their own happy place between the two.

Infiltraitor
12-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Not sure if I should post since I have no fighter levels, but if you are interested in consolidating ideas, my setup isn't bad.

14 Paladin / 4 Favored Soul / 2 Monk
Human in Divine Crusader
1513 HP, 1537 SP, 225 PRR, 135 MRR, 135 AC, 180 HAmp, 198% Fort, 338 Devotion, 50 Melee Power, 102 Fort, 89 Reflex, 99 Will, 24% Double Strike.

I gave up on AC in exchange for DPS. I can sustain about 1200 and boost up to about 3000. Healing is top tier as well due to Warpriest's Ameliorating Strike.

seldarin
12-29-2014, 01:57 PM
I currently run the build posted quite some time ago which was the Dark Knight, Paladin 18/Ftr2. Currently working on Divine Crusader, which is where I will probably remain, with the following key elements:

1155 HP, 519SP, 178AC, 198PRR, 119MRR, 119 Pos SP, Melee Power 40, DS 8%, 178% Fort, 78Fort, 59Reflex, 57 Will and that is without significant gearing and as a first lifer.

In Unyielding Sentinel the following key elements:

2121 HP, 684 SP, 212AC, 259PRR, 144MRR, 109 Pos SP, Melee Power 58, DS 15%, 178% Fort, 83Fort, 59Reflex, 57 Will

pappo
12-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I currently run the build posted quite some time ago which was the Dark Knight, Paladin 18/Ftr2. Currently working on Divine Crusader, which is where I will probably remain, with the following key elements:

1155 HP, 519SP, 178AC, 198PRR, 119MRR, 119 Pos SP, Melee Power 40, DS 8%, 178% Fort, 78Fort, 59Reflex, 57 Will and that is without significant gearing and as a first lifer.

In Unyielding Sentinel the following key elements:

2121 HP, 684 SP, 212AC, 259PRR, 144MRR, 109 Pos SP, Melee Power 58, DS 15%, 178% Fort, 83Fort, 59Reflex, 57 Will

Are you a S&B or THF ? Also what did you take for enhancements to get those kind of numbers ?

Seikojin
12-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Are you a S&B or THF ? Also what did you take for enhancements to get those kind of numbers ?

Just speculating from my current 18/2 pali fighter... You would mainline defender in enhancements and also spend in stalwart for the things that don't rely on being in stalwarts stance. Having a decent con item and stacking life items will help push these values. When I hit 20, I will check what my destinies yield.

seldarin
12-30-2014, 03:12 AM

S&B

Enhancements:

Human:
Core
Human Versatility - Skills
Human Adaptability
Tier1
Deneith Dragonmark Focus 3
Focussed 3

Sacred Defender:
Core: Holy Bastion, Sacred Defense, Divine Righteousness, Redemption, Glorious Stand
Tier1
Extra Lay on Hands 3
Durable Defense 3
Sacred Armour Mastery 3
Tier 2
Bulwark Aura 3
Sacred Shield Mastery 3
Tier 3
Resistance Aura 3
Hardy Defense 3
Con
Tier 4
Reinforced Armour 3
Strong Defense 3
Con
Tier 5
Reinforced Shield 3
Harboured by Light 3
Tenacious Defense 3

KOTC
Core: Slayer or Evil
Tier 1
Extra Turning 3
Extra Smite 2
Tier 2
Divine Might 1
Exalted Cleave 3
Tier 3
Exalted Smite 3

Stalwart Defender
Core: Toughness
Tier 1
Stalwart Defensive Mastery 3
Threatening Countenance 2
Tier 2
Stalwart Shield Mastery 3

Feats:
Epic:
Divine Sphere = Holy Strike
Bulwark of Defense
Epic DR
Epic Power
Epic Skills
Epic Toughness

Heroic:
Cleave
Combat Expertise
Exotic Weapon Prof BS
Great Cleave
Improved Shield Mastery
Least Dragonmark of Sentinel
Power Attack
Shield Mastery
Toughness

Happy to answer any other questions you may have

MechGeddon
03-10-2015, 08:53 PM

Would you be willing to put up a detailed build / gear listing please? I would love to see what to shoot for when building / gearing a tank and from those stats you seem to have it down.