PDA

View Full Version : In-store redund interface

Pwesiela
03-19-2014, 09:52 AM
The DDO Store needs an in-store refund interface for consumable goods.

Currently, the only way to possibly obtain a refund for items purcased in-store is to contact account services and, over the course of several business days, hope that you get in touch with a rep that decides to take pity on you. The store needs a standard interface to return certain items. Obviously, this would need to have certain limits.

1- item must have been purchased from the store with Turbine Points. Items from daily dice rolls or in-game chests do not qualify and have a hidden flag as to their source (they probably already have this).

2- item must have been purchased within a certain time frame. I'd suggest one week.

3- item must be in original condition. For stack items, this means a full stack. For weapons or armor or such, this means unequipped or not used to take or give damage. Certain items will be excluded, such as items that give no inventory item (adventure packs or account upgrades).

4- items returned are returned at sale price (no full refund for items purchased with coupons, etc).

So why the request now? I'm certain im not the only one that has made a purchase only to realize it's not what I needed or expected. Like (as I'm currently dealing with) purchasing a tome of alignment change while leveling up a heroic lesser reincarnation in order to meet requirements for a class only to find out you can't use it in The Bridge Between and have just spent 500 TP for an item you can't use as intended and may thus never want to ever use.

(Also, make the bridge between a tavern area. I mean really, why not?)

I imagine this sort of in-game tool, where you place an item back into the store following purchase, would be a most welcome, and I'd argue basic, store interface that players would welcome and that would reduce player frustration over long waits for support that may never come through.

redspecter23
03-19-2014, 10:22 AM
I can see how this "might" work for consumables. How about other things? Should players be able to return an adventure pack a week after they bought it? How about non consumable items like bags? Can I rent those for a week at a time for free? Can I buy a +1 flaming rapier and return it when I outgrow the item? How do you differentiate between store items and daily dice/card turn ins? They all stack together right now.

Even if they can sort out what can and can not be returned, you're asking Turbine to spend precious resources on a system that allows players to not only not spend money, but get money back? I don't see them being interested. It's best for Turbine if they make you jump through as many hoops as possible for a refund in order to keep people from doing it constantly.

Pwesiela
03-19-2014, 10:39 AM
I can see how this "might" work for consumables. How about other things? Should players be able to return an adventure pack a week after they bought it? How about non consumable items like bags? Can I rent those for a week at a time for free? Can I buy a +1 flaming rapier and return it when I outgrow the item? How do you differentiate between store items and daily dice/card turn ins? They all stack together right now.

Even if they can sort out what can and can not be returned, you're asking Turbine to spend precious resources on a system that allows players to not only not spend money, but get money back? I don't see them being interested. It's best for Turbine if they make you jump through as many hoops as possible for a refund in order to keep people from doing it constantly.

Packs would be the same then as now, as you have no item to drop back into the store. Like I said, it wouldn't be able to apply to packs or account upgrades.

I wouldn't be surprised if daily dice and store items have some item flag difference, and if they don't, that it would be the store checking to see if you've purchased the item within the time frame.

Weapons would have to be unused. Can that be tagged in some way? No clue. But if they can be marked as having given/taken damage, then that would exclude that problem.

As for bags, they would probably have to be excluded. Each item could be evaluated to determine if it should be in-store refundable.

It may be best for turbine to make you jump through hoops from the financial end, but it's also bad from the customer service end. Plus, they may just save money from not having to dedicate support personnel to dealing with the requests.

Pwesiela
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
I can see how this "might" work for consumables. How about other things? Should players be able to return an adventure pack a week after they bought it? How about non consumable items like bags? Can I rent those for a week at a time for free? Can I buy a +1 flaming rapier and return it when I outgrow the item?

You can also tag different items with a different return time period.

Cosmetic hair or Hireling contract? One week. Large bag? 1 hour. Etc. Is it perfect? No. All refund policies are subject to abuse (just look at the Christmas returns each year), but it helps keep customers (players) happy.

Heck, days later and I'm still waiting to hear from account support. I'm afraid to even log onto the character in question for fear of making things worse.

narizue
03-19-2014, 12:15 PM
I like the idea of some sort of return program for consumables returned in mint condition. After all we are talking about virtual items with a non existent cost to Turbine, being returned for Turbine's own internal currency, which cannot be "cashed out" or exchanged. It would increase customer satisfaction, at a low cost to Turbine.

This concept strikes me as a win/win as when someone screws up a purchase, they have buyers remorse and are unlikely to spend more real money on TP in the future. Sure if they have totally jacked up their favorite character they may spend the points right now to make it right, but long term their TP spending will almost assuredly decrease. With a return policy, they might have to put in a bit of effort to get their TP back, but in the end don't feel like they were ripped off, don't tell their guildies they were ripped off, and get back to having fun sooner rather then later/not at all.

Uska
03-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Packs would be the same then as now, as you have no item to drop back into the store. Like I said, it wouldn't be able to apply to packs or account upgrades.

I wouldn't be surprised if daily dice and store items have some item flag difference, and if they don't, that it would be the store checking to see if you've purchased the item within the time frame.

Weapons would have to be unused. Can that be tagged in some way? No clue. But if they can be marked as having given/taken damage, then that would exclude that problem.

As for bags, they would probably have to be excluded. Each item could be evaluated to determine if it should be in-store refundable.

It may be best for turbine to make you jump through hoops from the financial end, but it's also bad from the customer service end. Plus, they may just save money from not having to dedicate support personnel to dealing with the requests.

Change the weapons to bind to account on equip and then you could tell if they were used and players could then also buy them if they wanted and use them or gift them.

danotmano1998
03-19-2014, 02:30 PM
The DDO Store needs an in-store refund interface for consumable goods.

I imagine this sort of in-game tool, where you place an item back into the store following purchase, would be a most welcome, and I'd argue basic, store interface that players would welcome and that would reduce player frustration over long waits for support that may never come through.

Agreed.

However, I would hazard a guess that it will never happen. They want to make it easy to purchase and much harder to return.
Good luck with this.

Pwesiela
03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
The other problem: four days later and still waiting on a reply from account services.

That's four days of not playing the character.

That's four days of not a happy player.