PDA

View Full Version : Returning Player, Suffering from an over abudance of options

Blase
03-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Howdy folks.

I have played off and on since release, most recently in 2012. I have 32 pt builds, the classes/races unlocked etc, and I usually VIP it for the month I play - but I keep running into the same problem. I'm good through Korthos, and Harbor, and I do okay in the Marketplace quests... and then I just get lost. I try to run the recommended quest chains, but I tend to get stuck (for example, I was soloing Deleras tonight on my Sorceror - I ended up stuck between gates and unable to flip a lever because my hireling derp'd out on me and teleported back to me from the switch - leaving us both stuck), or I end up facing a trap that I just can't get past (fire room in STK on elite).

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to maintain focus, maybe point out some quests I *can* complete solo to keep on leveling? I would like to continue my Sorc as I enjoy the pew-pew spell spam, but am open to other suggestions - I don't think I have ever had a character over level 9 in all the time I have played. Never really had this issue in other MMO's (The Realm, DAoC, WoW, TSW)

Best,

Blase

Chaimberland
03-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Howdy folks.

I have played off and on since release, most recently in 2012. I have 32 pt builds, the classes/races unlocked etc, and I usually VIP it for the month I play - but I keep running into the same problem. I'm good through Korthos, and Harbor, and I do okay in the Marketplace quests... and then I just get lost. I try to run the recommended quest chains, but I tend to get stuck (for example, I was soloing Deleras tonight on my Sorceror - I ended up stuck between gates and unable to flip a lever because my hireling derp'd out on me and teleported back to me from the switch - leaving us both stuck), or I end up facing a trap that I just can't get past (fire room in STK on elite).

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to maintain focus, maybe point out some quests I *can* complete solo to keep on leveling? I would like to continue my Sorc as I enjoy the pew-pew spell spam, but am open to other suggestions - I don't think I have ever had a character over level 9 in all the time I have played. Never really had this issue in other MMO's (The Realm, DAoC, WoW, TSW)

Best,

Blase

The reason you haven't had the same issue on other MMO's is because DDO isn't like other MMO's. And that is the appeal of it to the players that consistently play DDO. It's different. There are some quests that you can't , or its very difficult to solo. At its base, the game is meant to be played with other people. That being said there is usually a work around most traps/areas.

In Delera's you need to tell your hireling to stand at the lever so it doesn't teleport back to you. The command to do that is on the hire's hot bar. The fire traps in STK are timed, but it is extremely difficult to run that chain at level without a rogue. As for other options at that level range there is Tangleroot Gorge, Sharn Syndicate, the Catacombs, the Carnival Chain and Vault of Night.

Blase
03-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Chaimberland - Thanks for the reply.

Don't get me wrong, what keeps me coming back to DDO is the fact that it isn't the same old humdrum MMO. The character options are breathtaking in their scope and variety, and I *really* enjoy the fact that dungeons aren't the snooze fest that has become common place in other MMO's. Sadly the population of DDO seems to be terribly focused on end game content, and there don't seem to be many people grouping up, although that may change if I can ever break into double digits.

Part of my issue is, that while I don't need or want my hand held by the game, I wouldn't mind a few hints - honestly once you hit the Harbor, the game waves you goodbye and good luck. Sadly it seems like all the leveling guides I can find refer to power leveling, and require you to be stacked up on loot/consumables, which as a low level character without a high level character supplying them, I don't have. Perhaps my google-fu is weak. Also, the wiki is crazy out-dated. I will definitely look into Sharn/Catacombs/VoN (Already ran Tangleroot).

Best,

Blase

snowlord
03-19-2014, 09:41 AM
I was a similar player Blase a few years ago and still have not played epic content, but am still having a blast in Herioc with trying all sorts of classes.

Don't get disheartened with some of the quests or your hirlings. Their are tons of quests for you to try and open adventure areas to explore, especially if ViP. It can be overwhelming just go slow and enjoy each content and the story that goes along with it. The different house chains are fun to do also and will grant you different benefits once you have completed them

Nothing wrong with going pure sorc and soloing, very doable.

Also, if your interested, try grabbing a splash of rogue or monk on any character.

Have fun... Hope you stick around.

Cardtrick
03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Since no one has mentioned it -- do you know about the Adventure Compendium?

You can access it from the menu button (or by pressing 'P') and it will list all quests within a certain range of you. It's currently a bit bugged so that they show up in a random order very time you open it, but you can sort by level right at the top.

When I don't already have a set questline in mind and I don't feel like joining an LFM, I usually pop open the Compendium and look at quests around the level I want to play. The Compendium even lists who offers the quest and which area to find it in (if you hover over the name of the quest). You can then either look up that quest on the wiki to get more details and figure out what to expect -- or you can go blind, and just take it slow. Most of the quests that require a hireling or other players have been updated so that you'll see a warning when you try to enter the quest (on the little menu where you select the difficulty).

If you're stuck on a particular quest and can't get information from the wiki (and don't want to post or join an LFM to do it with others), then I highly recommend taking a look at one of Mr. Cow's Diaries. He did a series of "Diaries of a True Reincarnate", where he takes videos of every quests he plays on a particular life/class. All quests are done solo and quickly. You probably won't want to emulate his playstyle -- he avoids everything not required to maximize XP, has a ton of high-end gear and consumables, spends most of his time running and invisible, etc. But it's still a great resource to see how someone else completes a quest. The most recent and up to date series is Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Druid) (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/381780-Diaries-of-a-True-Reincarnate-%28Druid%29). It's less detailed than some of the others, but includes some of the newer quests. One of the most detailed ones is Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Arcane) (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/226992-Diaries-of-a-True-Reincarnate-%28Arcane%29), but it's also very old -- and the playstyles of a sorcerer in the current DDO and a wizard from 4 years ago are not all that comparable. I'd recommend just looking at the Druid one.

Thumbed_Servant
03-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Hello Blase.

Welcome back to DDO.

Chaimberland makes a good point...at it's base, DDO is designed to be played in groups as it is based on D&D which is inherently a team game. Certainly you can solo, but teams help in many instances.

Yes, the lfm board looks very deserted many times many days. However, if you are playing at a decent traffic time and YOU post a looking for more grouping advertisement you might be surprised how fast you get people wanting to join you for many quests...Delera's especially.

To get your hire to stay put, toggle the very first icon on the left of the bar: It's a square divided diagonally into two triangles. Click once and the hire wants to stay at it's current location...click again and it will follow/come to you. Also, if trying to use the hire for lever pulling, toggle the passive setting which is the fourth icon from the left (looks like a yellow man sitting to me). On passive it will not do anything unless you direct it to.

If you want a more solo capable character and you enjoy magic you might try a wizard splashed with rogue. The rogue skills will get you past traps and with wizard being intelligence based you will have more skill points to make it work, plus the evasion feat you get from level 2 rogue helps with survivability a lot. Take an 18 intelligence to start, it's worth the points spent, and put your level up stat points at every four levels into intelligence. If you have it the drow race is very helpful for the starting 2 points to intelligence, or human for the extra skill point/level or warforged if you want to self repair. Take level 1 rogue and max out Spot, Search, Disable Device and Open Lock skills plus Concentration and Spellcraft. Level's 2 - 7 take wizard and rotate which rogue skills you put points into, keeping them relatively high (Disable Device and Search are intelligence based so you have some margin there as your high intelligence will boost them over the points you put into them, Spot and Open Lock difficulty class numbers are lower than the Search and Disable dc's, so you will be ok if they are not at max). You will want to keep gear with Search, Spot, Disable Device and Open Lock as high as you can acquire and update them every 2 levels if possible; you won't need nor be able to wear those all the time but you will switch out to them as needed. Potions of heroism will be very helpful with the +2 bonus to skills. At level 8 take your second level of Rogue and use the extra skill points to back fill your main 4 Rogue skills to higher levels. Somewhere along the way also take the feat Insightful Reflexes so that the Evasion feat you acquire with the second level of Rogue will actually be of use...if you fail the reflex save it doesn't help you :)

What server do you play one Blase?

Feel free to private message me on the forums if you like.

nayozz
03-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Blase

hi dear, you didnt tell us on which server are thou !

i recently played a ftp account... to get a guest account ready :D
yeah game is hard to impossible without twink gear, the good news is at low level any guildmate can craft you powerful stuff for cheap/free

Fedora1
03-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Some quests, particularly Necro and Delera, are very hard to solo at level. I won't repeat the advice of others, all good.

The fire trapped room in STK is tough even with a rogue, there are two control panels and they disable just enough of the traps for you to carefully hug the right wall and get to the other side. The valve by the minotaur on the far side disables the same traps, so it's possible to chug a fire resist pot, park your hireling, run through, kill the minotaur, turn the valve, and then call your hireling.

Another trick that works especially well if you have feather fall is to leave your hireling behind in a safe area, navigate through traps or whatever, then either at the top of some stairs or a stack of crates jump off and while in mid air summon your hireling. If timed correctly, rather than run through the same gauntlet you just did, the hireling will teleport to you bypassing all the traps.

Cardtrick
03-19-2014, 11:49 AM
yeah game is hard to impossible without twink gear

This is completely untrue, and a really bad message to send.

Noctus
03-19-2014, 12:21 PM
yeah game is hard to impossible without twink gear

Completly untrue.

It is impossible to headlongly rush at ever mob you spot in a straight line, aggro everything on the way and expect to come out of a deathcuddle of a dozen mobs alive without crazy twinkgear and the right build.

No twinkgear? Go a bit slower, use YOUR brain, instead of your characters stats to brute-force everything. Think before engaging. I might even dare to suggest learing how to disentangle a group of mobs with a ranged weapon so that only some of them follow the sound of the projectile hitting the ground/wall/breakable.

Ther are no hiveminded spawngroups. The AI is actually preatty sophisticated for an MMO. Use this to your advantage to trick them. This Art of Pulling Mobs has become a seldom seen behavior.

Blase
03-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Completly untrue.

It is impossible to headlongly rush at ever mob you spot in a straight line, aggro everything on the way and expect to come out of a deathcuddle of a dozen mobs alive without crazy twinkgear and the right build.

No twinkgear? Go a bit slower, use YOUR brain, instead of your characters stats to brute-force everything. Think before engaging. I might even dare to suggest learing how to disentangle a group of mobs with a ranged weapon so that only some of them follow the sound of the projectile hitting the ground/wall/breakable.

Ther are no hiveminded spawngroups. The AI is actually preatty sophisticated for an MMO. Use this to your advantage to trick them. This Art of Pulling Mobs has become a seldom seen behavior.

I don't have any problems with monsters - in point of fact, I think that is part of the issue. I am running content on elite (ex: I was running Deleras at level 6 on Elite, making it a level 8 quest), just to make the combat challenging. Sadly it also seems to make the traps instant kill, and my spot isn't high enough to see them coming. I can back of to normal, but then the combat is pretty static. Course traps don't instantly kill me ....

SisAmethyst
03-19-2014, 03:54 PM

If you're stuck on a particular quest and can't get information from the wiki (and don't want to post or join an LFM to do it with others), then I highly recommend taking a look at one of Mr. Cow's Diaries...

here are some other diaries from MrCow:
Diaries of a True Reincarnate Sorcerer (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/364299)
Diaries of a True Reincarnate Melee (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/237895)
Diaries of a True Reincarnate Divine (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/263354)

Also others created videos of DDO quests including:
ademisc (http://www.youtube.com/user/ademisc)
SithDDO (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTxnMl2XmEDCqExLDozc7Dg)

As well as:
DDO - Basic Gameplay Tactics & Techniques (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybwQpc22p3U)
DDO tips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syUarJhB1tk)
DDOcast - A DDO Podcast! (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwcbNQ0Ym4FkrCAxQLkuiIQ)

Seikojin
03-19-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't have any problems with monsters - in point of fact, I think that is part of the issue. I am running content on elite (ex: I was running Deleras at level 6 on Elite, making it a level 8 quest), just to make the combat challenging. Sadly it also seems to make the traps instant kill, and my spot isn't high enough to see them coming. I can back of to normal, but then the combat is pretty static. Course traps don't instantly kill me ....

On Elite, non-combat is the big pain. I have found that in order to be able to succeed, you need a decent stat (base 14), full class ranks, + best at level tools, and best + at level item. Unfortunately, right now, search items are few and far between. I am sure spot is in the same position.

The ddowiki has maps for just about every quest if youw ant to know trap locations. But it can be a spoiler. Has bard hirelings skill boosting helped?

snowlord
03-19-2014, 04:58 PM

Maybe try Hard instead.. I find it to be perfect for soloing, traps still hit hard but not instant death.

mna
03-19-2014, 05:41 PM
On Elite, non-combat is the big pain. I have found that in order to be able to succeed, you need a decent stat (base 14), full class ranks, + best at level tools, and best + at level item. Unfortunately, right now, search items are few and far between. I am sure spot is in the same position.

Well, if that's all you're using...

Really, putting some APs into the trapping skills helps a lot if you don't have quite optimal gear. And then you have skill boost, and given the amounts of Heroism potions I seem to get from the daily dice...

(Tools aren't "at-level", you can use +5 tools at level 1, I believe. And those are usually sold in the AH... on servers other than Wayfinder, at least... the prices can be fairly steep for a beginner though.)

Blase
03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
I am playing on Ghallandra, Fiellia Spellstorm.

Made it up to level 9, actually grouped twice yesterday, which is twice more than I have managed previously. Here is to hoping that as levels go up, so do the number of opportunities to group for quests.

Sadly as a pure sorc, traps just wreck me if I can't find a way around them.

Best,

Blase

Ungood
03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Here is my Advice, take it as you will.

Traps:

Normally, with Traps, there is a way around them. Either timed, or placement, something. Take the time to look them over, pause, an consider before you try to run through them. Maybe you can time them, maybe you can just jump them, maybe you can throw a protect and a resist and run through them. When you are doing quests, don't rush the traps.

Hires:

These Guys are Great! But if you can, have Dimension Door ready in your spell bar, anytime you can have it. Hires often make mistakes. But, the main trick them with them is keep them in "Passive" if you need them to pull a lever, make sure they will not do anything else but what you tell them to do, they live to die, and get bonus pay if they can kill you in the process.

Also, Gold Seal Hires, get cheap low level hires, you can pull them up mid quest, use them, and then dismiss them, and thus prevent the 5% exp loss from a hire death.

Quests:

Most Quest can be Soloed. When you go in the quest, the Quest Panel will tell you if it is designed around a balanced party and sometimes it will even have a "2" in the lower right corner of the Group Type box, keep this in mind, as that normally means levers and people need to split up. This will work against you when you try to solo.

I have no idea if any of this will help you. But it helps me quite a bit, and I have done quite a few quests without evasion or trapping on f2P accounts, so it can be done, just, play smart, maybe make a quest a night, and just stroll your way through the game.

Sianys
03-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Here is my Advice, take it as you will.

Traps:

Normally, with Traps, there is a way around them. Either timed, or placement, something. Take the time to look them over, pause, an consider before you try to run through them. Maybe you can time them, maybe you can just jump them, maybe you can throw a protect and a resist and run through them. When you are doing quests, don't rush the traps.

This. I've got a level 11 Wizard (specializing in Archmage enhancement line) on Ghallanda, doing everything (including STK, Delera's, and others) solo. I don't do Elite because of the trap issue, but I have done Hard on some quests, and I've found that timing, jumping + resist potions and spells will do a *lot* to mitigate damage. Bringing a cleric hire and knowing how to manage hires effectively is a big help, too.

LeslieWest_GuitarGod
03-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Howdy folks.

Best,

Blase

DDO has an awesome community, but it can be tricky circumventing the BS and finding high quality folk to adventure with. Our guild Tyrs Paladium is a great place to learn DDO the right way. We are a NO DRAMA NO ZERG guild. No egos, no attitudes, just fun, tons of game knowledge, and old school D&D values here. It sounds like you'd have an awesome time running with us! Check my signature and your PMs and let me know if you are interested!

Our recruitment thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/261110-Tyrs-Paladium-hiring-a-few-good-men-and-women!) (so you can see what we are about)

Tyrs Paladium Guild Rules (http://tyrspaladium.forumotion.com/t56-guild-rules) (which are strictly enforced)