PDA

View Full Version : Concentration check for opening doors

Lonnbeimnech
03-07-2014, 03:57 AM
So there you are in a dungeon, and by dungeon I mean a really, really long hallway with endless doors.

You open a door, take 2 or 3 steps and there's another door. And all the while mobs are spamming you with burning blood, bleeding wound, howler quills, divine punishment, niacs, eledars etc etc.

You go to open the door, and get it 90% open OW! 2 points of damage, interrupted. Try again, OW! 1 point of damage, interrupted again. and again and again and again.

No, I'm not suggesting they add ^that. ^That is already just about every dungeon in and around eveningstar, and it's annoying.

Give us a concentration check to ignore the 2 points of damage and open the door/pull the lever.

blerkington
03-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I agree with this.

There is no standardisation in DDO with time spent and interruption conditions for interacting with objects. You can spin rune wheels, turn puzzle tiles, and light wards while being damaged.

I'd like to see other object interactions like using levers, activating runes and opening doors become instant and uninterruptible too. Although it would make sense for flipping open a chest to be instant too, it's nice to be able to abort this action partway through if you belatedly realise someone has DC'd or isn't in the quest yet.

Perhaps there is an engine reason for things being this way, or perhaps it's just a ham-handed attempt to restrict our pace. I'd like to see it change but I'd be very surprised if it did, even though it would be a nice minor but significant improvement to the playability of the game.

Thanks for posting.

General_Gronker
03-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Concentration checks when performing a variety of tasks is something that should be implemented, and should have been since day one.

/signed

SirValentine
04-20-2014, 05:15 AM
Concentration checks when performing a variety of tasks is something that should be implemented, and should have been since day one.

I was about to post a thread suggesting the same thing, but I see there's one already.

If damage interrupts something, a successful Concentration check needs to be able to ignore the damage and avoid being interrupted. DC 10 + damage dealt, same as for spells already in DDO, and same as for anything per 3.5 rules.

I mean, really, I can keep casting a spell off of a scroll through 60 points of damage, but 2 points means I can't pull a lever? Ridiculous.

EllisDee37
04-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Now that you say it it's screamingly obvious. No clue why it never occurred to me, but now that it's been brought to my attention this will annoy the stuffing out of me forever more.

Very much /signed.

Qhualor
04-20-2014, 08:02 AM
I don't think it should be a concentration check, but I agree we should be able to open doors more instantaneously. I think it should be dependant on how much damage you take. If you are getting pegged by archers and zapped by casters taking on a lot of damage than you should fail to open the door. If you are taking minimal damage than you should still be able to open the door. Zerging to a door with a bunch of mobs on top of you should prevent you to open the door.

Concentration is normally something that a caster invests in and can get that number up high. Melees generally could have a fairly decent concentration skill if the invest in Con. To me it would just seem like another big advantage for casters over melees.

droid327
04-20-2014, 10:35 AM
This makes sense and I support it in principle - it is super annoying having to wait for a DOT to wear off. Alternatively, though, you can have hires open the doors for you - they don't seem to suffer from interrupts even if they have a DOT on them :P

The only possible counterargument I could see is that doors are done this way on purpose to prevent stealth chars from just bulldozing through. If you could Conc-check your way through a door, rather than having to actually kill the mob, you could keep going even if you got caught - it takes a lot of pressure off of failed stealth checks. Or, heck, even just non-stealth chars could zerg through until they got DA red...

I don't think it should be a concentration check, but I agree we should be able to open doors more instantaneously. I think it should be dependant on how much damage you take. If you are getting pegged by archers and zapped by casters taking on a lot of damage than you should fail to open the door. If you are taking minimal damage than you should still be able to open the door. Zerging to a door with a bunch of mobs on top of you should prevent you to open the door.

Concentration is normally something that a caster invests in and can get that number up high. Melees generally could have a fairly decent concentration skill if the invest in Con. To me it would just seem like another big advantage for casters over melees.

That's what a Concentration check does...the more damage you take, the harder it is to pass the check. That's the point.

Besides, casters don't generally invest much in it because by Epic, its worthless, since mob damage numbers >>>>>> achievable Conc levels anyway. If anything, it favors *melee* chars, since they usually have much better PRR, so they're reducing the damage down to a more easily-ignored level. That's going to make a much bigger difference than an extra 20 points in Conc.

And then there's Monks, who of course would get the best of both worlds here since they max Conc already - which makes it much more likely Turbine will implement it :D

cdbd3rd
04-20-2014, 10:42 AM

/signed

Yup. The ability to stay focused on something you need to do despite the trauma you're being pummeled with.

All action movies have examples of forcing oneself to complete a needed task despite being in pain / under attack.
In PnP, there are various checks a DM can/should require depending on circumstances...
For DDO, a Concentration check is probably about as close as we could get to that mechanic.

I don't think it should be a specific number of damage points unless it is scaled to character level/ total HPs.

Qhualor
04-20-2014, 11:00 AM
That's what a Concentration check does...the more damage you take, the harder it is to pass the check. That's the point.

Besides, casters don't generally invest much in it because by Epic, its worthless, since mob damage numbers >>>>>> achievable Conc levels anyway. If anything, it favors *melee* chars, since they usually have much better PRR, so they're reducing the damage down to a more easily-ignored level. That's going to make a much bigger difference than an extra 20 points in Conc.

And then there's Monks, who of course would get the best of both worlds here since they max Conc already - which makes it much more likely Turbine will implement it :D

in DDO, concentration is to continue casting spells without interruption and for monks to retain ki. other than that, there is no real use for it so for this idea to be implemented there would have to be a re-write of the definition of concentration.

to me, I don't see how concentration has anything to do with opening doors or turning levers. you don't focus more to perform that action. if you are taking minor damage, than you can bare the pain to open a door. if you are taking on a lot of painful damage it can be difficult to open that door, fumbling around with the knob or making it difficult to withstand the damage to turn a valve. it could cause you to stop and run away or stop and reposition yourself to not take so much damage.

droid327
04-20-2014, 11:06 AM
in DDO, concentration is to continue casting spells without interruption and for monks to retain ki. other than that, there is no real use for it so for this idea to be implemented there would have to be a re-write of the definition of concentration.

to me, I don't see how concentration has anything to do with opening doors or turning levers. you don't focus more to perform that action. if you are taking minor damage, than you can bare the pain to open a door. if you are taking on a lot of painful damage it can be difficult to open that door, fumbling around with the knob or making it difficult to withstand the damage to turn a valve. it could cause you to stop and run away or stop and reposition yourself to not take so much damage.

I'm confused if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me....

Yes, concentration is only used for those two things in DDO - but before Monks, it was only used for the former, so they've already had to 'redefine' it once already.

Concentration means focus on the task you're trying to accomplish. Its completely in line that you'd need a well-focused mind to shunt off the pain of the magical acid and fire burning in your veins to push open the heavy wooden door blocking your progress. Think of any tropey movie where the hero, wincing and writhing in pain, forces himself through sheer willpower to crawl to the lever/button/switch and activate it, saving the day.

EllisDee37
04-20-2014, 05:33 PM
in DDO, concentration is to continue casting spells without interruption and for monks to retain ki. other than that, there is no real use for it so for this idea to be implemented there would have to be a re-write of the definition of concentration.Concentration is also used for reading scrolls, even on characters with no bluebar at all.

In terms of "not used for anything else in the game", like many skills, concentration is used to neutralize slave collars in the underdark.

Qhualor
04-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Concentration is also used for reading scrolls, even on characters with no bluebar at all.

In terms of "not used for anything else in the game", like many skills, concentration is used to neutralize slave collars in the underdark.

that's just a skill check for an optional just like in many other quests. wasn't really referring to that.

Qhualor
04-20-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm confused if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me....

Yes, concentration is only used for those two things in DDO - but before Monks, it was only used for the former, so they've already had to 'redefine' it once already.

Concentration means focus on the task you're trying to accomplish. Its completely in line that you'd need a well-focused mind to shunt off the pain of the magical acid and fire burning in your veins to push open the heavy wooden door blocking your progress. Think of any tropey movie where the hero, wincing and writhing in pain, forces himself through sheer willpower to crawl to the lever/button/switch and activate it, saving the day.

not agreeing and not disagreeing if you can figure that one out.

what you are describing is more like adrenaline.