PDA

View Full Version : Pure monk 32 point build

Bonzohazard
03-01-2014, 09:42 PM
So I'm new and I'm creating a monk, I'd like to make something based on Dex, I can afford a few tomes. Dark monks sound awesome, so do these storm master types... I'd really just like a straight up build, SP, skills, enhancements.... any contributions would be much appreciated!

Daze
03-02-2014, 11:19 AM
You would probably be looking at a Kama/Shortsword/Shuriken build ... if that's your thing than it's fairly simple. If you want to use handwraps and stunning fist on a dex based build ... that's where it gets a bit difficult.

If ranged is your thing than Firewall's Shuricannon build is a dex based chucker that makes it look easy.

Shiradi Shuricannon (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423018-Shiradi-Shuricannon?highlight=shuricannon)

Requimatic
03-03-2014, 06:28 AM
So I'm new and I'm creating a monk, I'd like to make something based on Dex, I can afford a few tomes. Dark monks sound awesome, so do these storm master types... I'd really just like a straight up build, SP, skills, enhancements.... any contributions would be much appreciated!

I don't want to be "that guy", but DEX is only so useful for a Monk (mainly for the two-weapon fighting feats, which require 17 at least. So you could get away with a base of 15 DEX and a +2 tome, and have 17 DEX at level 7? to get GTWF and ITWF later.). Yeah, you could use the Weapon Finesse feat to allow your DEX to attribute to your hit, but at that point you're still going to need STR to add to damage.

However..

I've had to come to terms with the fact that Monks simply aren't a pure DPS class, but rather a quasi-hybrid-utilitarian-DPS. They get good feats, good saves, and can be very devastating when built correctly.. even pure. The majority of a Monk's melee damage is going to come from targets being helpless, which is the result of you stunning them in some fashion. The easiest way to do this is through WIS builds using Stunning Fist.. since the Stunning Fist DC requires your WIS modifier. (I know, it sounds weird for a physical ability, a stun nonetheless, to require your WIS mod.. but almost every Monk ability does.. if not EVERY ability. haha)

Unfortunately, Dark Monks have taken nerfs in recent history, and just can't hold up that well anymore.. at least from what I've read and what I've been told. Yeah, Touch of Death is neat and all, but again it requires your WIS mod. Granted, 250 damage is still a hefty amount at the level you can acquire it (12), but just 3 levels later you get Quivering Palm, which will outright kill NPCs when it successfully hits. (QP also requires your WIS mod.. see where this is going? haha)

But this isn't to say that a shortsword-wielding, shuriken-throwing Monk wouldn't be fun. It probably would be. But it just wouldn't be very practical in terms of what you contribute to the group and how you could otherwise solo.

Unless you really don't care about that, I would suggest a WIS-based Shintao/Ninja Spy build. If you lean more towards Shintao, your unarmed attacks will be able to pass all metal-based DR, and later on alignment based DR with the right items. Of course you should be carrying around multiple weapon sets/wraps to do this anyway, but that's beside the point.

If you lean more towards Ninja Spy, you can get some spiffy poison type attacks (also a poison weapon stance!) that actually seem to do a fair amount of damage when you can get them. You could also go for a Shintao/Ninja-Spy Hybrid, getting at least the +1[W] tier 5 enhancement from Shintao, and a good bit of tier 3 and 4 enhancements from Ninja Spy. The first two core enhancements from the Ninja Spy tree would allow you to stay centered while wielding shortswords, too.

Essentially, it all comes down to how you want to play. But keep in mind, a lot of people (especially now) will frown upon you if you can't pull your weight in a group. And most groups these days tend to want you to be able to heal yourself in some way. As a Dark Monk, the only way you'd be doing this is through pots, and possibly UMD + scrolls.

I would suggest looking at the Monk enhancement lines (as well as the racial enhancement lines, although I don't suggest spending too many points in your racial tree, whatever you choose, as it will take away from better enhancements elsewhere) to better decide what you want to do.

I mostly solo on my Monk (Light path, mostly unarmed Shintao with some Ninja-Spy), and I enjoy it thoroughly. I've got a wide variety of wraps to choose from, each one for a different situation. One set of wraps I'm going to suggest should be a pair every Monk has, and that's the "Vampiric Stonedust Wraps", which come from the Lordsmarch quests (I forget which ones specifically).

Anyway, happy Monk-ing!

Wipey
03-03-2014, 07:13 AM
How about basic human monk. Fire in heroics, Earth most the time in 20+.
Grandmaster of Flowers with Legendary Tactics, Sense Weakness twisted. Third twist up to you.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 28 Lawful Neutral Human Male
(20 Monk \ 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 326
Spell Points: 1469024
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 15
Will: 18

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 28)
Strength 14 14
Dexterity 15 17
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 10 12
Wisdom 16 23
Charisma 8 8

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 28)
Balance 6 24
Bluff -1 7
Concentration 6 33
Diplomacy -1 7
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -1 7
Heal 5 25
Hide 2 11
Intimidate -1 7
Jump 2 32
Listen 3 14
Move Silently 2 11
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 9
Search 0 9
Spellcraft 0 9
Spot 6 37
Swim n/a n/a
Tumble 3 12
Use Magic Device 1 18

Level 1 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Concentration (+4)
Skill: Heal (+2)
Skill: Spot (+3)
Skill: Tumble (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+2)
Feat: (Human Bonus) Cleave
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Skill: Heal (+0.5)
Skill: Jump (+2)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist

Level 3 (Monk)
Skill: Spot (+2)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light

Level 4 (Monk)

Level 5 (Monk)
Skill: Heal (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Deflect Arrows
Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+1)

Level 9 (Monk)
Skill: Spot (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)
Skill: Jump (+4)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+3)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)
Skill: Jump (+1)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
Skill: Balance (+3)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Sunder

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)
Skill: Jump (+4)

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Improved Martial Arts

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Vorpal Strikes

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Blinding Speed

Level 28 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Tactician

Cardtrick
03-03-2014, 10:54 AM
OP, as a new monk player you should check out the Book of Syncletica (https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/). It's a very thorough monk guide, which discusses not just the build but also the playstyle. It goes into a lot of depth and does a great job talking about various alternatives without forcing you toward one particular playstyle.

It's definitely the best DDO monk guide I've ever seen; in fact, I'd say it's pretty easily the best DDO guide of any kind.

dom_keno
01-27-2019, 04:15 PM
Race Aasmiar
Stats Main stat Wisdom max it love it with all bonus points to it. Con is second important with split between dex and cha.
Enhancement trees.: Shinto This is your main tree attacks are based off of Wisdom
Aasimar racial tree: this is for your healing take the healing amp all the way up. And your protector line
Falconry tree: The only tree in the game that gives you Wisdom to hit and damage Also take conditioning
that is +5% to your Hit Points.

Skills : Concentration, Balance,, Spot, and Use Magical Device- for heal scrolls and True Rez s.

Going handwraps is a good idea

Feats of course take two weapon fighting that will give you your doublestrike points. Stunning Fist will help you in fights.
Epic destinies is a no brainer Grand Master of Flowers is where it is at. Once mastered you are the groups mob cleaner. Using everything is nothing as often as possible to clear out the largest ones. This build is what I am dong for my Trip tr once I get him finished.