PDA

View Full Version : monk AA build

shadowowl
02-26-2014, 12:57 PM
on my monk life for a bit and I know I'm likely in the minority as I really don't like monks all that much lol but I do like AA and though I dn't usually do the exploiter builds or what ever people are calling the monkcher these days I am making an AA.
my current build idea is that I have 3 paly and 12 monk. the question is what I should do with the other 5 levels.
I'm an elf so I'm using the AA line from that so don't really need ranger levels
was thinking rogue for traps but don't think I want to raise my int to get enough skill points to make it worth while.
was also thinking fighter for some extra feats it's very unlikely i'm going to have any AP left for enhancments for any class.
or perhaps another class of some sort. I don't see a lot of benifit to going more then 12 monk or 3 paly so does seem like a 3rd class would be in order. 4-5 ranger levels seem pointless since the only feats i would care about are prec shot and rapid shot which I could get from 2 levels of fighter.
so the combo's that I was thinking were
12 monk 4 paly 4 fighter (more feats more hps)
12 monk 3 paly 5 rogue (more skills + sneak attack)
12 monk 3 paly 5 arti (more skills more sp)
12 monk 3 paly 5 cleric (more sp silver flame little extra damage with longbows)
12 monk 3 paly 5 fvs (more sp and silver flame ext dmg with bows)

really don't see much benifit in more monk levels though possibly paly for more hp/sp combo

would like to hear from others, I do think that nearly any of the above combos would work which I suppose is why i cant' decide lol.
leaning toward 12/4/4 monk/paly/ftr for the feats but my sp will really suffer and not sure if that will matter.

-Zyxas-
02-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Most "monkcher" builds have ranger levels, for good reasons.
1 ranger gets you Bow Strength, which is worth 2 feats if you were to get it through level up feats (weapon focus ranged is required for it). Maybe you're planning on being dex based and taking the elf enhancement, so I guess bow strength isn't completely needed.
2 ranger gets you Rapid Shot, which normally also has a prerequisite, Point Blank Shot, although you should take that anyway. Not having rapid shot is hardly an option.
4 ranger gets you Precise Shot, which normally also requires point blank shot. Precise shot is a requirement for Improved Precise Shot, which is massively useful, period. It is an extremely good idea to have IPS as a ranged-focus character. Your 4 fighter level idea gets you 3 feats. 4 ranger gets you 3 feats as well as the ability to ignore their prerequisites, saving more feats (practically 1 feat for weapon focus, as Point Blank is good enough anyway).
6 ranger gets you Manyshot. An absolute necessity.

6 ranger allows Deepwood Sniper enhancements as well as Arcane Archer enhancements. The level 6 core enhancement is quite the good attack, and DWS also has enhancements for sneak attack, damage boost, and positive spellpower. Taking elf AA only allows you access to 3 core abilities over what you can get from ranger AA: Aligned arrows, sometimes useful if you don't have a DR breaking bow or arrows and no artificer in the party, shadow arrows (5% doubleshot - mostly useless because 10k stars and Manyshot negate all your doubleshot anyway), and Master of Imbuement (the doubleshot is as I said before mostly useless, I suppose the 2 dex for 1 AP is slightly okayish but there's an AP prerequisite, and the imbue lingering effect is broken).

6 ranger ALSO gives you access to Ram's Might, which is +2 damage if your damage is from dex or +3 damage if you use strength for damage. You also get a choice between resists, jump, and some not-as-often-used-or-liked spells.

Your 3 paladin levels get you disease immunity and fear immunity. Fear immunity also comes from spells and some gear, and as a monkcher you should be focused on Wisdom and thus have a ridiculous will save anyway. You should almost never fail a save against fear, and if you do, you should never have even made the save because there are many options to make you immune. It is very easy to cure diseases as well. Just get potions. They're cheap and not hard to get. Most of the time I don't even use a disease potion because I nearly never fail a save against one anyway... 2 Paladin levels get you the saves just like 3, but frees another class level for something that is less duplicated through items and effects, like the 6 ranger levels.

It's good to look at other people's builds. They probably have researched and tested their builds a lot, and you're trying to theorycraft while forgetting about a lot of feats, enhancements, spells, and redundancy.

Hope all goes well,
Zyxas.

Munkenmo
02-27-2014, 11:34 PM
on my monk life for a bit and I know I'm likely in the minority as I really don't like monks all that much lol but I do like AA and though I dn't usually do the exploiter builds or what ever people are calling the monkcher these days I am making an AA.
my current build idea is that I have 3 paly and 12 monk. the question is what I should do with the other 5 levels.
I'm an elf so I'm using the AA line from that so don't really need ranger levels
was thinking rogue for traps but don't think I want to raise my int to get enough skill points to make it worth while.
was also thinking fighter for some extra feats it's very unlikely i'm going to have any AP left for enhancments for any class.
or perhaps another class of some sort. I don't see a lot of benifit to going more then 12 monk or 3 paly so does seem like a 3rd class would be in order. 4-5 ranger levels seem pointless since the only feats i would care about are prec shot and rapid shot which I could get from 2 levels of fighter.

would like to hear from others, I do think that nearly any of the above combos would work which I suppose is why i cant' decide lol.
leaning toward 12/4/4 monk/paly/ftr for the feats but my sp will really suffer and not sure if that will matter.

If you like elven monks that use bows, you'll probably find my build thread useful.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/311770-Rangenmo-a-monk-without-a-shuriken

As the above poster said, due to feats, 6 ranger levels is really awesome, It also saves you 4sp vs the elven enhancement, sadly that only leaves you a 2 level splash to finish out your leveling.

I'd personally recommend 2fvs, my build has 2 druid levels, but when I next TR him I'll be swapping them.

Sp is not much of a concern at all, you won't really have access to sp based healing until epic levels, by then rejuv cocoon is cheap. As for AA abilities that require sp, moonbow & soul magic enhancements seem to be sufficient enough to keep your sp ticking.