PDA

View Full Version : Build request / help. plague by monk decisions

Nodak_Attack
02-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Been playing the game for a week now and I am now so fed up with traps that I take it upon myself to make a trapper. I chose the monk class, looks like a lot of fun but I'm having some troubles making decisions. I want to make a staff wielding monk but not sure where to go from there. One of the biggest decisions I face is if I should go STR based or DEX based, I love the idea of going DEX and being tanky with really high AC but many builds I see go str for overwhelming crits. Not sure whats better. I've started a str based monk and have him to lvl 5, tell me if i'm on the right track.

having a 28 point build

human rogue 1 / monk 4
str 16
dex 13
con 13
int 14
wis 12
cha 8

lvl 1 - power attack and ccleave
lvl 2-5 deflect arrow, dodge, two handed fighting

So I need some advice ! I'm not satisfied with the path I'm on now, do lots of damage but I have no tankiness or healing and that is why I gravitate toward a DEX build but no idea if its possible. If I have to start over, that's just fine. If you guys know of another type of trapper build I should look into, that'd be great too.

also I made this guy a human but I feel like drow or Halfling would be fun.

sebastianosmith
02-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Hey Nodak_Attack,

Welcome to the game! If you want to know all about how to build an effective monk, check out The Book of Syncletica (https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/) by forum member Spencerian. It's chalked full of good advice.

Also, download Ron Hiller's DDO Character Planner (http://www.rjcyberware.com/). It's an invaluable tool which will save you many hours of regret.

And don't forget to visit the DDOWiki (http://ddowiki.com/) for more information than you can possibly absorb.

Best of luck!

Nodak_Attack
02-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, ill check those out. Still looking for a build that'll fit my play style. Made 2 mistakes yesterday and had to restart each time at lvl 3 lol. First I made a rogue that was not lawful, not knowing the requirements for monk, RESTART. Then I made a toon with 12 dex, thinking it wasn't very important for a str monk but then found out I need 13 DEX for EVERYTHING. This is my 3rd monk, probably not the last.

Need to pick out a build and get on the right path

Nodak_Attack
02-26-2014, 08:53 AM
The Book of Syncletica is really cool thanks, never seen that before

str8nger
02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
This is just my 2 cents...personally i would not go rogue for traps, i play pure monks...and traps are rarely an issue for me...BUT in regards to the tankiness...AC seems to mean little and less as you level up. i would focus on dodge and damage mitigation. you seem to be on track with that with deflect arrows and dodge feats.

a dodge item and taking mobility feat could help as well, though others may have better advice. taking some of the ninja spy enhancements help with mitigation as well, but that might hurt you on your rogue enhancememts for traps...not sure as i am not familiar with rogues at all...(i have 4 pure monks that are built for different things and ALL do very well, even the 1st lifers with no tomes)

I would suggest that you browse the multiclass section for a good build of monk/rogue...i imagine that there would be a 3rd class added in there as well...but if you are going staff build go STR mostly...your stat spread is fine, you are first life, no tomes etc so the spread will work fine for now...though int is a little high for me, but i get it since you went with rogue and want trap skills...sorry if i am not much help...again check out some builds in the other sections or mayhap someone can direct you faster after reading this.

good luck

str8nger
02-26-2014, 08:59 AM
haha ok nm, i was late on my response, others have helped more than i could

sebastianosmith
02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, ill check those out. Still looking for a build that'll fit my play style. Made 2 mistakes yesterday and had to restart each time at lvl 3 lol. First I made a rogue that was not lawful, not knowing the requirements for monk, RESTART. Then I made a toon with 12 dex, thinking it wasn't very important for a str monk but then found out I need 13 DEX for EVERYTHING. This is my 3rd monk, probably not the last.

Need to pick out a build and get on the right path

Oh, we've all been there. ;)

I'd recommend keeping it simple with a pure monk while you are learning to play the game. Don't try to be a multi-classed, end-game spec'ed beast out of the gate. Monks can be difficult to play effectively until you learn how to setup and use the hotbars and key assignments. They are very button mashing intensive.

Read over Spencerian's guide, download the character planner and build a plain, old vanilla monk. And always remember to have fun!

Nodak_Attack
02-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Yea maybe being a trapper isn't a good idea with a 28 point build =/

I'ma keep lvling him for now until I find another build I like, hopefully he becomes more tanky.

Great advice so far, keep it coming! I am not set on my path just yet. Any other fun monk builds I might try?

str8nger
02-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Oh, we've all been there. ;)

I'd recommend keeping it simple with a pure monk while you are learning to play the game. Don't try to be a multi-classed, end-game spec'ed beast out of the gate. Monks can be difficult to play effectively until you learn how to setup and use the hotbars and key assignments. They are very button mashing intensive.

Read over Spencerian's guide, download the character planner and build a plain, old vanilla monk. And always remember to have fun!

This...

in my opinion going pure monk is ideal for being new and old haha (im a purist)...learn what they can do etc. the guide sebastion suggested is great too.

Nodak_Attack
02-26-2014, 09:48 AM
But what about the TRAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????

str8nger
02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
But what about the TRAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????

HAHA yeah sorry, honestly traps will not be much of a problem for you soon. Evasion and Improved evasion all do great work, plus if as you get stat items for dex, your reflex will increase and help there as well.

Many traps can be avoided with timing...not all, but most until your stats increase and Imp evasion kicks in...about lvl 12 if i recall...of course an LFM asking for trappers could help too :) but if you are dead set on getting trap skills, then a multi-class build is in order, and for that browse the forums...