PDA

View Full Version : New to arti, questions about the dog.

engisam
02-23-2014, 04:11 PM
1. Why does it stand still 90% of time doing nothing while i fight enemies? I have hotkeyed skill nr 2 "stop doing stuffs and get over here" just to spam it because it says that the dog is doing SOMETHING IMPORTANT. I must say i shouldnt be loud about it, maybe it IS doing something important but i would like to have it prio MY HEALTH instead of waiting outside the room/near a corpse while i fight mobs.

This "solution" sucks most of the times anyways because it takes a long time before it even starts attacking so the mob is dead before that.

2. I have speced it into destroying crates. I played in a destroy crates quest area and i wondered why it didnt destroy anything. Either its PRIO CRATES THAT REQUIRES LADDERS or, continue to 3:

3. It doesnt even attack. It freezes sometimes it hits a crate or attack a mob. Sometimes i have to resummon this dog over and over before it starts to work. Its getting on my nerves.

4. I do want it to destroy crates but WHY does it have to run after a god damn crate while fighting a mob? Its like tank the mob, run all over the room destroy crates, tank again.

Edit: Here comes the fifth one. WHY does it attempt to CLIMB LADDERS?

Im used to pets being like this. The worst pets are pets that requires half mana, alot of time and becomes more and more hostile because you have to DISMISS and RESUMMON it.

I dont know about this one, am i doing something wrong or is the pet really like this? Because i would be extremely happy if it teleported automatically to MY LOCATION when i attack mobs, stop bugging out when i fight 10 mobs and stop destroying crates while it tanks enemies. Maybe its something i have missed out.

Arti is really a fun class IF the pet works, which is like 5% of the time.

waryJerry
02-23-2014, 04:18 PM
The pet is pretty unreliable but the artificer is still a fun class: the trick is to make him tough enough so he's not reliant on his mechanical mutt to fend off surly monsters. Basically, that means not playing a pure artificer.

rosedarkthorn
02-23-2014, 04:40 PM
In my experience, the main reason the mechanical pet freezes up and bugs out, causing it to not attack, move, or listen to any commands, is because of the crate destroyer enhancement. As soon as I got rid of that, I had next to zero problems with my pet thereafter. Played my artificer for the last couple days in epic wildernesses and had zero problems with him. Didn't freeze up or bug out once. I know it's handy to not have to destroy all the breakables yourself, but if you'd like your pet to work correctly most of the time instead of almost never, I would recommend removing that enhancement.

engisam
02-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Im thinking of doing that but im going to start taking a close look to this tomorrow to see if i can find any ways to fix it like removing the crate feat. I thought it would help me boost bonus exp but its useless and its making my pet crazy.

Atleast it dont have friendship leveling like some games. Oh pet bugged, dismiss, resummon, its murderous, youre dead. Time to sleep. Gn.

EDIT: rosedarkthorn as i suspected, some of the problems comes from that feat. Its useless anyways so its not a big deal.

Livmo
02-24-2014, 02:14 PM
In my experience, the main reason the mechanical pet freezes up and bugs out, causing it to not attack, move, or listen to any commands, is because of the crate destroyer enhancement. As soon as I got rid of that, I had next to zero problems with my pet thereafter. Played my artificer for the last couple days in epic wildernesses and had zero problems with him. Didn't freeze up or bug out once. I know it's handy to not have to destroy all the breakables yourself, but if you'd like your pet to work correctly most of the time instead of almost never, I would recommend removing that enhancement.

I don't have any issues with my dog, but I've never took that enhancement before. Thank you for the heads up!

PsychoBlonde
02-24-2014, 02:42 PM
I've had these same sorts of problems with the druid pet. DON'T get ANY active enhancements for your pet. Get ONLY passive bonuses. Active abilities can fork up your pet because they'll eventually wind up targeting something that no longer exists and it will make the AI go completely *bananas*.

You can see this behavior with a Training Dummy if you have ANY sort of active abilities on your pet. It'll hit the dummy like 3 times and then sit there going ***.

The crate destroying one is the worst. It was intentionally DESIGNED that crates would have a higher priority than mobs to your pet. If you want your pet to do ANYTHING other than (occasionally) smash breakables, you need to get rid of this enhancement.

I stopped having problems with my druid pet when I switched it over to 100% passive abilities and set it on "defend" mode most of the time. Now it just chomps on stuff I've already attacked.

Enderoc
04-10-2014, 04:51 AM
I wonder if setting good or evil to the dog will control his behavior more or make him reckless aggressive? Have you paired the two at all?

Singular
04-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Yeah, it's the 'hunter of boxes' enhancement that screws up the dogs. You're going to have toggle the dog on and off a lot. I sort of don't even bother with mine in Epic content. It dies insanely fast in EE b/c I haven't devoted any of my own enhancements to it. But, if I'm say, soloing EE Tor, I'll bring it out as a distraction for the mobs.

Lonnbeimnech
04-11-2014, 02:38 AM
3 tips to make the dog work better.

1. dismiss the dog.
2. ???
3. ???

Profit.

FuzzyDuck81
04-11-2014, 02:47 AM
I'm rather fond of my arty's dog, but it certainly has some issues - as others mentioned, the hunter of boxes thing can cause issues & some activated things can occasionally make it go screwy too... EE it's not really worth having out, but anything below that & it can still be rather useful - i tend not to bother with damage-dealing abilities so much, and instead go with debuff effects - grave wrappings are great to convert into a collar for the destruction & occasional negs, improved shattermantle can be a nice one too to support your party's spellcasters. Docent-wise i think mine is still using the quorforged docent, but the blademarks docent is a nice one for them too if you like it to trip things, and if you're thinking of splashing out a dragonscale one could be good too... particularly the shadow one now that you can apply the DR to it, though that's probably only for the ones with more resources than sense :)