PDA

View Full Version : New Race

daisuke1221
02-22-2014, 07:00 PM
I believe that it is time for a new race, the iconic heros are good, but I think there should be another race.

9rileystep
02-23-2014, 01:29 AM
Somebody else mentioned this when I tried to post for the eladrin being the new race: But they were right!

Aasimer

Lesser Aasimar characters possess the following racial traits.

Type: Humanoid
+2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
Medium size.
A Lesser Aasimar’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Lesser Aasimars can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Racial Skills: Lesser Aasimars have a +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.
Racial Feats: A Lesser Aasimar gains feats according to its class levels.
Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.
Favored Class: Paladin.
Level adjustment +0.

This would be a great character for divine DC casters, as well as some interesting monks and pally's. I believe if they treated it like a Drow (32 point legend build). They could work it into the system without being to concerned with overpowering. Some more information about them

Aasimar, derived from the Mulhorandi word aasimon, were human-based planetouched, native outsiders that had in their blood some good, otherworldly characteristics. They were often, but not always, descended from angels and other creatures of pure good alignment, but while predisposed to good alignments, aasimar were by no means always good. Although their celestial ancestors could be many generations removed, their influence still lingered. Tieflings were once considered the evil-aligned counterparts to the aasimar, though as the years passed, tieflings of all alignments emerged.

Memnir
02-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Next race should either be Gnome or Kobold.

9rileystep
02-23-2014, 03:19 AM

Neither Gnome or Kobold would add much to the game....

Gnome
+2 Con -2 Str - Between Dwarf and Warforged/Bladforged I don't think we need yet another +2 con type.....

Kobold
-4 str +2 dex -2 con - would make it the WORST playable race in the game....would have to make them a 38-40 point legend build to match other playable races

I know that both of those races are certainly more traditional in D&D 3.5......But I just don't see them taking the time to add in races they don't think they could sell......I think the aasimer is more in demand - as there is a real want in DDO for a better divine DC caster race......Divine DC casters would buy this race

kilagan800
02-23-2014, 03:37 AM
Gnome.

Noctus
02-23-2014, 04:23 AM
Tiefling!

We already have the Model designed in Shavarath monsters.

BOgre
02-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Pit Fiend

FranOhmsford
02-23-2014, 06:04 AM
Yark!

Dandonk
02-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Thri-kreen. We need moar bugs.

Sir_Noob
02-23-2014, 07:25 AM
I love the thought of running around with my Kobolds looking for shiny's!

Saekee
02-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Kobold
-4 str +2 dex -2 con - would make it the WORST playable race in the game

Exactly--I would play a Kobold through heroic quests just for the challenge and fun. Stats should be even worse--there are whole threads on this idea.

Also, the forums should only have kobold avatars, not the ones we have now. That would be hilarious.

9rileystep
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Exactly--I would play a Kobold through heroic quests just for the challenge and fun. Stats should be even worse--there are whole threads on this idea.

Also, the forums should only have kobold avatars, not the ones we have now. That would be hilarious.

I think after the hilarity of the initial "wow, we have Kobolds" wore off, these characters would be largely unused (much like the high elf). I can see the LFM's for EE's now "Kobold's need not apply"......

I am not saying high elves are not used, but in Cannith.....you are WAY more likely to run into the other races in PUG's.

Anyhow I don't want to troll this post, I think I made my opinion clear....Happy Hunting ALL!

Failedlegend
02-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Somebody else mentioned this when I tried to post for the eladrin being the new race: But they were right!

Aasimer

+2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
Medium size.
Racial Skills: Lesser Aasimars have a +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.
Level adjustment +0.

This would be a great character for divine DC casters, as well as some interesting monks and pally's. I believe if they treated it like a Drow (32 point legend build). They could work it into the system without being to concerned with overpowering. Some more information about them

Aasimar, derived from the Mulhorandi word aasimon, were human-based planetouched, native outsiders that had in their blood some good, otherworldly characteristics. They were often, but not always, descended from angels and other creatures of pure good alignment, but while predisposed to good alignments, aasimar were by no means always good. Although their celestial ancestors could be many generations removed, their influence still lingered. Tieflings were once considered the evil-aligned counterparts to the aasimar, though as the years passed, tieflings of all alignments emerged.

Note the LA+0 the only reason Drow are gimped with 28pts is because they have an LA+2...I NEVER want to see another race be limited to 28pts, Drow are a joke because of it.

Thats said I'd love to see Lesser Aasimar in DDO, I'd like to Lesser Tieflings as well.

Neither Gnome or Kobold would add much to the game....

Gnome
+2 Con -2 Str - Between Dwarf and Warforged/Bladeforged I don't think we need yet another +2 con type.....

Yes ROCK gnome's would be useless their just crappy dwarves...now House Cannith Gnomes (commonly known as Tinker or Gear Gnomes) are +2 Int/Dex, -2 Wis/Str with racial abilities focused on mechanical stuff and magitech stuff...most of the cool stuff you see around Eberron was made by a Gnome.

Kobold
-4 str +2 dex -2 con - would make it the WORST playable race in the game....would have to make them a 38-40 point legend build to match other playable races

Oh yes the PnP Kobolds blow but honestly I think this is a good opportunity for the devs to say screw PnP, DDOs Kobolds are completely different than their PnP counterparts and I doubt the community would complain much if they modeled them after DDO Kobolds instead....thinking definite +2Cha...maybe -2 Wis or Int (can't be a -physical stat as DDO Kobolds are beats...they carry multiple barrels filled with explosive crystals on their back).

Enhancement wise I could just see it oozing with DDO flavour...for example:

I'm a Double Barrel Kobold - x2 Carrying Capacity

"I'm a Kobold on the Edge" - Bonus to balance checks

Kobold HEALED!!! - Bonus heal amp

obviously i just pulled those out of my *** w/o any real thought but it was only to illustrate my point.

oradafu
02-24-2014, 02:47 AM

Personally, I think it should be both at the same time.

Gnome should be a free race since it's the last basic class. To make up for the lack of sales, Tinker Gnomes should be added as the new Iconic Class.

Kobolds should be introduced at the same time as Gnomes. We've heard from a Dev that a major hang up for their release is in the graphics department. Kobolds shouldn't have that problem since there are a ton of different Kobolds in the game already. Also Kobolds already have their dance down, so no need to create a new dance. And Kobolds have been quite popular as a requested playable race, I can foresee it being a big seller in the same way cosmetic pets have crazed fans that need them all on the first day of release.

Besides Kobolds are arguably the de facto mascots of DDO.

9rileystep
02-24-2014, 04:27 PM

LOL I liked your suggestions, I agree Kobolds wouldn't be so bad if they DDO'ized em as you suggested. But I would change the above to a bonus to saving throws.

LrdSlvrhnd
02-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Kalashtar. Or at least have some kalashtar monsters to fight. I've wanted to meet one of them ever since my first time through Sorrowdusk...

BRING ON THE KALASHTAR!

LrdSlvrhnd
02-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Enhancement wise I could just see it oozing with DDO flavour...for example:

I'm a Double Barrel Kobold - x2 Carrying Capacity

Kobold HEALED!!! - Bonus heal amp

obviously i just pulled those out of my *** w/o any real thought but it was only to illustrate my point.

"Yep, Kobold gonna die" - expanded unconsciousness range.

If kobolds get turned into a player race, though, the one thing that absolutely MUST be implemented is the Kobold Hop. Possibly a fifth-tier ability, but they absolutely *have* to be able to climb up walls with it.

9rileystep
02-24-2014, 05:32 PM
In the spirit of some of the other suggestions:

"A small step for kobold, a giant leap for Kobold kind" - Leap through air 5x per day

"Kobold smell all, Kobold Omnisniffiant" - True seeing, 5 minute duration 5x per day (self only)

"Kobold think its a trap" - +1/2/3 to spot/search

ulgabi
02-27-2014, 07:21 AM
Kobold or GTFO
Just because that racist **** pnp rule book made them weak, they don't HAVE to be.
Racial enhancements and a general facelift on stats can solve the problem. Especially since I believe half-elves aren't based entirely on the rule book either.

Gizeh
02-27-2014, 08:02 AM

Aasimer

+2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
Medium size.
Level adjustment +0.

....aaaaand just like in any other thread on this subject someone asks for Aasimar, of course only because they fit in so well and totally not because they have +2 to two stats without having any stat penalties. :)

I still think there is a reason why even in the Planescape setting Aasimar weren't among the added player races.

Bogenbroom
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
I have said it before, there is no piece of development in this game that should be prioritized over the inclusion of gnomes. They are a basic component of D&D and ought to have been in place long before now.

Remember when the game launched and there were no dragons and the running joke what "Dungeons & No Dragons:Stormreach" ? In my opinion the fact that 8 years in we don't have a core race is that level of wrong.

Are there other races that would be fun? Sure! A number of them. But gnomes should be in place.

Maewynne
03-01-2014, 03:12 PM
I agree that Gnomes should be added as a playable race, especially since one of the original five storm lords (aka coin lords) is a gnome. Ever notice there's an empty seat in the palace audience room in Lordsmarch Plaza.

I would also like to see Kalashtar, Shifters, and Changelings added since they were unique to the Eberron setting like the WarForged.

Arianka
03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
gnomes add zero to the game...zero.

Uska
03-01-2014, 06:26 PM
I have said it before, there is no piece of development in this game that should be prioritized over the inclusion of gnomes. They are a basic component of D&D and ought to have been in place long before now.

Remember when the game launched and there were no dragons and the running joke what "Dungeons & No Dragons:Stormreach" ? In my opinion the fact that 8 years in we don't have a core race is that level of wrong.

Are there other races that would be fun? Sure! A number of them. But gnomes should be in place.

While Gnomes are a core race and have been in dnd forever they really don't add a thing to ddo except flavor

Failedlegend
03-02-2014, 03:01 AM
....aaaaand just like in any other thread on this subject someone asks for Aasimar, of course only because they fit in so well and totally not because they have +2 to two stats without having any stat penalties. :)

I still think there is a reason why even in the Planescape setting Aasimar weren't among the added player races.

A) +2 to 2 stats isn't that big of a deal if it was than Drow would be wicked OP instead of a JOKE

B) most people just want Aasimar (and tieflings) because their cool races...if you haven't noticed DDO unlike their MMOs perfect balance doesnt matter as much since its purely a co-op game.

If kobolds get turned into a player race, though, the one thing that absolutely MUST be implemented is the Kobold Hop. Possibly a fifth-tier ability, but they absolutely *have* to be able to climb up walls with it.

Would be cool but could break alot of content so sadly I doubt we would see it

In the spirit of some of the other suggestions:

"A small step for kobold, a giant leap for Kobold kind" - Leap through air 5x per day

"Kobold smell all, Kobold Omnisniffiant" - True seeing, 5 minute duration 5x per day (self only)

"Kobold think its a trap" - +1/2/3 to spot/search

Oh I love em :D

fmalfeas
03-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Note, regarding inclusion in player races in tabletop - Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasi are in the player race options for the Forgotten Realms. :) They're not really that rare in Faerun.

bennyson
03-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Note, regarding inclusion in player races in tabletop - Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasi are in the player race options for the Forgotten Realms. :) They're not really that rare in Faerun.

Oh my

Were the divines of that world mating with almost every human female or male they lay eyes on?

just wow, talk about that on a whole other level...

Holybird
03-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Yes for Kobolds! (And for all who say that Kobolds are weak, just go and complete Enter the Kobold with no deaths)

P.S Desaga rocks!

Failedlegend
03-02-2014, 03:53 PM

Also if you haven't noticed tieflings are EVERYWHERE in DDO and no tieflings are not inherently evil (nor are Aasimar inherently good)

Anyways I'd love to see Genasi too (sidenote: CANNOT wait to play some godlikes in Pillars of Eternity) they would make the perfect Gish lore wise. Stat wise in PnP each element has different stats but in DDO a combination would be best...probably +2 Str/Int, -2 Wis/Cha. Than w/ the enhancement tree they can be different based on elemental heritage

Oh my

Were the divines of that world mating with almost every human female or male they lay eyes on?

just wow, talk about that on a whole other level...

Actually it's more that humans will sleep with anything...there's a reason if your half-anything the assumption is that your other half is human.

oradafu
03-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Actually it's more that humans will sleep with anything...there's a reason if your half-anything the assumption is that your other half is human.

Yup. That's what happens when James T Kirk discovered the TARDIS.

General_Gronker
03-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Let's not encourage them to add anymore boring FR stuff to the game.

Failedlegend
03-02-2014, 05:45 PM

Aasimar, Tieflings and Genasi are not Forgotten Realms specific races (I loathe FR btw) just look around Eberron in DDO Tieflings are everywhere.

fmalfeas
03-02-2014, 05:47 PM

Yeah, let's just remove all the stuff in FR...

That leaves us with...warforged artificers. Get cracking on making the game as far from Forgotten Realms as possible!

Failedlegend
03-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah, let's just remove all the stuff in FR...

That leaves us with...warforged artificers. Get cracking on making the game as far from Forgotten Realms as possible!

You know that Forgotten realms isn't the "master" campaign setting or anything its just the generic one (ie. elves act like elves are expected to, etc.)...other realms have elves and fighters and whatnot to but Eberron like Dark Sun has a special unique flair to everything like their personalities, societies,etc. compared to their Forgotten realms counterparts...drow for example are more of a tribal nation than a matriarchy of murder and betrayal, whilst Halfings are nomads who ride around on dinosaurs. There's way more than that obviously but you get the idea

Missing_Minds
03-02-2014, 07:52 PM

Kobold.

because you know what little exists of the art department would just make a gnome be a bearded halfing.

die
03-02-2014, 08:51 PM
1. Dragonkin
2. Half blood demon
3.Half celestial
4.Ogre
5.Minotaur

Failedlegend
03-02-2014, 08:59 PM
1. Dragonkin

or Dragonborn or Draconians or any other version of that race works for me

2. Half blood demon
3.Half celestial

aka Tieflings and Aasimar

die
03-02-2014, 09:06 PM
or Dragonborn or Draconians or any other version of that race works for me

aka Tieflings and Aasimar

If you go to the Monster manual . go to the back there is a template for half demon and celestial they do not need too be.. Assimar or Tieflings

fmalfeas
03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Half-breed is a very different thing than Aasimar/Tiefling (aka - planetouched). Very, very different. In fact, in older editions, half-fiend had a specific name. Cambion.

SilverHeals
03-06-2014, 10:29 AM
I agree with the OP that we need aasimar or an equivalent, we are going on 8 years and there is still no wisdom focused race. No, I don't think gnomes or kobolds are worth it. We don't need another int or con race, and kobolds are just boring. You see them for the first few levels of Tr any never want to see them again.

A few other races also stated got my attention;
Genasi - /signed : They would bring a lot to the game since the 4 types had different focuses.
Air - Dex, Earth - Str, Fire - Int, Water - Wis
Tiefling - /maybe signed : near equivalent to Aasimar, and the fit in ebberon
Thri-Kreen - /signed : my favorite of all monsters a although with their 4 arms they'd be op. Would have to have A major str penalty(imagine 2 fury shots)
Dragon or. - /signed but not signed : I made a post on this a while ago and someone pointed out from life, that dragon born would be killed on sight by elves or dragons(thinking hennespyra in market attacking you randomly)

If anything, would like to see a wis bonus class or genasi of all forms

Seikojin
03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Gnome or Githyanki.

Switched my infernal/celestial desires to Gith after MoTU was released. Having multi-planar settings is fitting for the gith to be involved somehow.

Bogenbroom
03-06-2014, 12:06 PM
While Gnomes are a core race and have been in dnd forever they really don't add a thing to ddo except flavor

From the perspective that they are not substantially different from the races we already have, that is true. But they are a core component of the game and without their inclusion there is an obvious gap. That isn't in the least bit to say that I wouldn't want other races, but the basics should be in place first.

For all of the really awesome stuff the developers have brought us in this game, it has always stuck out like a sore them to have such and obvious basic component missing. Likewise it has always bufuddled/amazed me that we don't have any goblins.

For some reason it always makes me think of the guy who gets his first apartment and buys the big screen TV, but doesn't have any chairs.