PDA

View Full Version : Does a Half-orc Acrobat build need the THF feats?

Bolo_Grubb
02-21-2014, 11:39 AM
My understanding is that glancing blows only work when standing still and not using cleaves/great cleaves.

If I am not concerning with Glancing blows, plan to spam cleaves and plan to be on the move non-stop, seems I can save a few feats by not taking the THF feats

Thoughts?

CThruTheEgo
02-21-2014, 11:44 AM
My understanding is that glancing blows only work when standing still and not using cleaves/great cleaves.

If I am not concerning with Glancing blows, plan to spam cleaves and plan to be on the move non-stop, seems I can save a few feats by not taking the THF feats

Thoughts?

Yep, you understand it correctly.

Krelar
02-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Thoughts?

Cleave and great cleave also proc glancing blows.

CThruTheEgo
02-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Cleave and great cleave also proc glancing blows.

Hmm, I thought it was common knowledge that cleaves didn't proc glancing blows, but wiki agrees that they do.

Krelar
02-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Hmm, I thought it was common knowledge that cleaves didn't proc glancing blows, but wiki agrees that they do.

Actually, now that you mention it I seem to recall that for whatever reason (bug?) staves don't proc glancing blows on cleave but other weapons do.

Cardtrick
02-21-2014, 12:18 PM
I can't test it at the moment, but as far as I know, cleaves do proc glancing blows with quarterstaves. They certainly used to. Even if not, there's a lot of cooldown time between Cleave and Great Cleave, especially when you have the attack speed of an Acrobat with quarterstaves. It's nice to get some additional DPS in between cleaving.

Not saying anyone in this thread doesn't know this, but other people will read this, so I just want to point it out explicitly -- Glancing Blows do proc even when whacking a single target. In other words, they're additional damage all the time as long as you're standing still, not just against groups.

They are not essential feats, but they're definitely useful and they're often better value than the alternatives. It's also worth mentioning that they're not prerequisites for very much (couple of enhancements) and that each of the three feats is equally valuable -- they're all +10% to damage and +3% to effect proc chance. So it's not a choice of "do I take the THF feats or do I skip them entirely?" It's perfectly viable to take just one or two of the feats if that's all that will fit.

EDIT: This is not true, I was mistaken! See CThruTheEgo's post below. It really does make sense to go for gTHF if you're investing in the chain at all.

CThruTheEgo
02-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Actually, now that you mention it I seem to recall that for whatever reason (bug?) staves don't proc glancing blows on cleave but other weapons do.

Yeah it was in the many acrobat threads where I got the impression that cleaves don't proc glancing blows, so maybe it is just with quarterstaffs. I know it is widely accepted that the thf feats are totally optional on a staff build. Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to try to find any testing of it.

CThruTheEgo
02-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Even if not, there's a lot of cooldown time between Cleave and Great Cleave, especially when you have the attack speed of an Acrobat with quarterstaves. It's nice to get some additional DPS in between cleaving.

I would agree with this, especially for boss fights.

each of the three feats is equally valuable -- they're all +10% to damage and +3% to effect proc chance. So it's not a choice of "do I take the THF feats or do I skip them entirely?" It's perfectly viable to take just one or two of the feats if that's all that will fit.

I would disagree with this as it is not entirely accurate. Greater two handed fighting also adds an extra glancing blow to your attack sequence, which will be the most significant boost to damage from the thf line of feats. This is why most players consider the thf line all or nothing. The first two are a very minor dps increase in comparison.

Cardtrick
02-21-2014, 12:48 PM
I would disagree with this as it is not entirely accurate. Greater two handed fighting also adds an extra glancing blow to your attack sequence, which will be the most significant boost to damage from the thf line of feats. This is why most players consider the thf line all or nothing. The first two are a very minor dps increase in comparison.

Wow, sorry, I'm an idiot. I specifically mentioned that because I knew that was how it used to be, and I used to make a point of going with GTHF for that reason. But I thought I had read that it had been changed and we were getting glancing blows on 3/4 attacks all the time. Now I have no idea why I thought that.

So yeah, THF and iTHF are useful but nonessential; gTHF is very good. Just like it always was.

I'm sorry for the misinformation!

Bolo_Grubb
02-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

Just making it hard with so few feats on a pure acrobat. Was hoping to stay pure, but might have to consider multi-class of some sort just for a few extra feats.

Trying to fit in some defense with dodge, mobility and Combat exp, Improved Trip. If I go with the THF line I don't have room for the previous and the power attack, cleave and great cleave line.