PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Life.

Azurchaos
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
I am on my way to finishing my current life. Have so far done - Sorc, Wiz, barb, pala, ranger, arti and fighter.

And have decided its time to do the Cleric Life.

Problem being is that i have no love for the pure healer builds (not that their bad just not my kinda thing) and i have little knowledge on what things they get eg any fetas that come with the class or what level they get specific spells.

I have been talking to a member of my guild nad have thought a lot about it and have come up with a way that might be good way to get me through the life.

16 cleric/2 paladin/2 monk or rogue.

2 levels of paladin for saves
2 levels of Monk or rogue for evasion (although i am leaning towards rouge for traps as i got plenty of gear)

In previous lifes when i have multiclassed i have known when would be best to get the extra class lvls but i am unsure here.

For example for Sorc i did 6 Sorc (fireball) then 2 Pala then another 6 Sorc (reconstruct) 2 monk and rest sorc for 20

However as stated i dont know what level i would get something from cleric that i can stop and take offer class levels for.

If anyone can offer some advice on a build that some1 of my play style would be happy with then please any advice would be much appreciated.

I also have +3 tomes on each stat and a +4 for Intel

Thank You

Lonnbeimnech
02-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Divine disciple evoker with 2 fvs for 'Just Reward'.

Ralmeth
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM
I agree with you that playing a pure healing is boring. I know some people like it, but it's not my cup of tea. That seems like a of a waste of a party slot anyways in todays DDO in anything but a raid. Anyways, a Cleric can be good at either melee or offensive casting, in addition to being able to heal. So...would you prefer to melee or cast?

ValariusK
02-19-2014, 03:32 PM
I've had 2 cleric lives (my first two). My first life I did 2handed cleric-19/fighter-1. This worked pretty well, with cleave and great cleave. Healing when required was strong, and solo capability was decent although offense was kind of light.
My 2nd life was cleric-20, divine disciple as the major. I had the twf feats and ameliorating strike as well, and enough radiant to get positive energy burst. DD is really nice for leveling, and it has the only capstone that might be worth not having any sort of dip. Having the 2nd life 34 build points helped a lot here also.

The 2nd option I think is probably your best bet if you want to melee. You can do DD pure caster too if you like, and stack up pretty good dcs in heroic.

Enoach
02-19-2014, 03:57 PM
A guild mate of mine ran into this as well. For him he loved his monk lives, and didn't want to be a pure healer.

Since he was only going to be playing this to level 18 (Holding 19/20 and TR right away) I suggested that he start the character off as a monk playing that for the 1st 9 levels - Getting him access to Improved Evasion etc.

Then from 10th level on to level 18 he would then fill that in with the Cleric abilities. In his case he went with Radiant Servant to add the healing bursts and Aura to supplement in combat healing.

What this gave him was the Feel of a Monk, the stunning fists and improved evasion he loved and then added on only 9 levels of Cleric for playing (Taking 19 and 20 as cleric to make sure he qualified for the Cleric PL.

Cleric class is very flexible in that it does not have any alignment restrictions so can be blended with any other class(es). This also means you only have to learn 9 levels of Cleric.

Wipey
02-19-2014, 09:40 PM
It's kinda shame though, casting cleric in heroics is pretty fun and unique.
35+ DC instakills and Fireball/Otiluke/DBF calibre aoe.
Weak as a kitten first ten levels but zerging Demigod/dess in heroic teens-20.

And you certainly don't have to heal anyone if you don't want to. Or try to heal horrible parties = some perspective, not so much these days I suppose like a year or 3 ago.
Sure you can go wraps ( heh like for most of the classes ) or boring Thf/PA/Cleaves but that's always the same.

But that's just me of course and less and less people stick with the class for long. "Cleric =second class caster and support toon just for raids" :)

Azurchaos
02-20-2014, 01:14 AM
some interesting ideas thanks.

I would prob go melee over caster as i LOVED doing my Sorc life (only toon i took al the way to cap) and i dont see me enjoying this as much.

Prob will go the TWF route as i have got alot of gear that favors that Greensteel GReatsword, Melee alcrity. etc

Lonnbeimnech
02-20-2014, 01:43 AM
It's kinda shame though, casting cleric in heroics is pretty fun and unique.
35+ DC instakills and Fireball/Otiluke/DBF calibre aoe.
Weak as a kitten first ten levels but zerging Demigod/dess in heroic teens-20.

And you certainly don't have to heal anyone if you don't want to. Or try to heal horrible parties = some perspective, not so much these days I suppose like a year or 3 ago.
Sure you can go wraps ( heh like for most of the classes ) or boring Thf/PA/Cleaves but that's always the same.

But that's just me of course and less and less people stick with the class for long. "Cleric =second class caster and support toon just for raids" :)

Yeah, cleric is a highly under rated class. In my experience caster cleric is stupid powerful, just like sorc, but with better self healing. Actually such good self healing that you can just turn on your aura and pretty much ignore incoming damage.

axel15810
02-20-2014, 02:38 PM
If you're just going for the past life there's all kinds of fun builds you can try.

I've always wanted to try clerificer, clogue and bowcleric. They all work pretty well.

And the one flavor build I've always wanted to run but never have was an undead vampire cleric....12cleric/ 6 wizard/2 monk or 12 cleric/6 wizard/2 fighter. It probably wouldn't be great but how hilarious would it be to have both positive and negative auras going? I'm assuming that's possible.

Theolin
02-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Questions I ask

Melee, Range or casting

If melee then: I ask hand wraps / TWF / THF?
If range then: Full range or part time range?
If Casting then: DC or not DC casting?

Then I ask

How many feats do I need to do what I want?
where can I get those feats from (other classes?)
How deep a split can / need / want to do: how many cleric levels? 18, 17, 12 or 11
What classes would be the best mix to get what I want from what is left in levels

If you really don't want to heal consider the 11 or 12 levels of cleric splits then nobody will expect you to then

If you want to see some strange builds - there are many many others
The-Totally-Messed-Up-Aura-Healing-Stunning-Fist-Cleric-Eldridge-Knight (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/431570-The-Totally-Messed-Up-Aura-Healing-Stunning-Fist-Cleric-Eldridge-Knight)
The Improved Crazy Cleric (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/394075-The-Improved-Crazy-Cleric) <-- won't work anymore since the enhancement pass but you could adapt it for ranger & Long bows

Theolin
02-20-2014, 04:05 PM
And the one flavor build I've always wanted to run but never have was an undead vampire cleric....12cleric/ 6 wizard/2 monk or 12 cleric/6 wizard/2 fighter. It probably wouldn't be great but how hilarious would it be to have both positive and negative auras going? I'm assuming that's possible.

Tried it on Lamaland ... you can have both aura's going (it is very very ugly visual though)
Load Harm to heal yourself kinda fun, though 11/7/2 might be better.
I think I would go mostly melee for this with spell backup damage

Lonnbeimnech
02-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Questions I ask

Melee, Range or casting

If melee then: I ask hand wraps / TWF / THF?
If range then: Full range or part time range?
If Casting then: DC or not DC casting?

Then I ask

How many feats do I need to do what I want?
where can I get those feats from (other classes?)
How deep a split can / need / want to do: how many cleric levels? 18, 17, 12 or 11
What classes would be the best mix to get what I want from what is left in levels

If you really don't want to heal consider the 11 or 12 levels of cleric splits then nobody will expect you to then

If you want to see some strange builds - there are many many others
The-Totally-Messed-Up-Aura-Healing-Stunning-Fist-Cleric-Eldridge-Knight (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/431570-The-Totally-Messed-Up-Aura-Healing-Stunning-Fist-Cleric-Eldridge-Knight)
The Improved Crazy Cleric (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/394075-The-Improved-Crazy-Cleric) <-- won't work anymore since the enhancement pass but you could adapt it for ranger & Long bows
If I was going to do a melee cleric, I would try this out.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/435008-The-Akuma?highlight=akuma

It looks really fun.