PDA

View Full Version : Build Request: Trapper Monk

CalydorEstalon
02-18-2014, 10:05 AM
I have grown tired of my wizard and the constant feeling that any badly used spell essentially wastes a finite resource thanks to the rarite of SP Potions, and I want something else. I want to go back to melee like my first life, but just going pure rogue again seems like a waste if I want to continue up towards Completionist.

So I'm thinking of going monk this time since, let's face it, you guys are awesome in a sauce of overpowered. I like soloing, particularly low to midlevel content where getting a group is not always an option, and with how common traps are in many of those quests (Gwylan's Stand, looking at you) I'd like a splash of rogue to deal with them - possibly Artificer, though it would require manning up and doing some Cannith challenges for favor so I don't have to use TP.

I have +3 tomes across the board except only +2 on DEX and WIS - I know, that's stupid for a monk, I'm working on it.

It will be my third life, so a 36 point build is available.

I have a preference for halflings - dunno why, I just think they look better than most of the other races, so if at all possible I'd like one of those for the race.

Any suggestions here? There's no rush, won't be TRing for several days yet.

inspiredunease
02-19-2014, 06:39 AM
You're a monk, simply run straight through the traps :P

But seriously, staff builds are great right now with the staff enhancement lines from rogue and monk stacking. Take 2 rogue, put points in the acrobat tree to get the staff speed buff, the cheap quick strike, and then at least 5 monk to grab the tier 5 henshin staff specialization and opposing philosophy enhancements... and the rest is pretty much up to you :D Personally I never think a monk is complete without at least 12 levels to get abundant step... I just love it that much. Maybe add some more rogue levels if you think your trapping is not up to snuff? Or 4 paladin for uber saves and divine might, or fighter for even more boosts, enhanced tactics for great trips? You could even grab a few wiz or soc levels and go grab some of the fun EK stuffs. It's a very flexible template.

CalydorEstalon
02-20-2014, 05:51 AM
Running through the traps is all well and good, but when I run solo I like to take a look around rather than pretending all quests are time trials, and when going in a group SOMEONE has to take care of the traps - which is one of the things I actually really like doing.

I have been looking at a few monk builds, and it seems with a bit of work I can remake the apparently very popular Bradley build into having trap skills, owing mainly to being a third life with a lot more stat points. Any thoughts on this?

Lanhelin
02-20-2014, 06:17 AM
If for Trapping only go 18/2. Mind that both Search and DD are Int based skills, so to be able to find and disable Traps on Elite difficulty you should have the best Search and DD items available, high Int (stance, items, clickies, scrolls) and Skill boosts (Mechanic T2) too if possible. If you want to build a staff wielding Monk then take a few more Rogue Levels, 4 I guess.

Mercureal
02-20-2014, 02:49 PM
I'll comment on what I think is needed on the skills side of the build, rather than the combat efficacy.

So, the first question you need to consider is how and where you'll be using your trap skills. As in, do you want them to be effective at each level as you go along? Will you be doing elite quests at level?

If you want your skills to effective at each level of your character you'll have to keep them maxed on each level-up. If not, you might be able to skip putting points into some of them for a few monk levels and then take a rogue level and put multiple points into each.

Specifically:

- three trap skills: Spot (Monk class skill), Search, Disable
- one key Monk skill: Concentration

So, if you want to keep your skills maxed at each level, you'll need at least 6 skill points, i.e. 1 for Concentration, 1 for Spot and 2 for each of Search and Disable (cross-class). As a Halfling, this means a 14 Int; if you wanted to put fewer build points into Int, you could go Human for the additional skill point and go with 12. If you did this, you could take a single Rogue level and the rest Monk and still max your trap skills.

It can get more complicated if you want to take a third class, or if you want to put points into any other skill after Level 1.

inspiredunease
02-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah, the Bradley build looks great, as I said in my earlier comment, as long as you have 2 - 5 rogue, 5+ monk as a base you can't really go wrong. Staffs are awesome these days. Hope you have a Sireth... :D

Personally with the Bradley build I'd drop it to 12 monk, 7 rogue, 1 druid, for more sneak dice as I'm not a huge fan of spending that many points in the nature's warrior tree for fatal harrier (it's actually quite hard to keep the stacks up) but I'd say it's personal preference.

In general I'd go the other way and go 13/6/1 rogue/monk/druid for even more sneak dice and opportunist (they're fixing staff lunger and vault to not trigger each others cooldowns in the next patch, making it almost as good as abundant step imho).

P.S. I was mostly kidding about the running through traps, but not completely. I would always make sure you're getting at least 9 monk or 10 rogue to pick up improved evasion for those harder-to-reach trap boxes.

EllisDee37
02-25-2014, 10:11 AM
But seriously, staff builds are great right now with the staff enhancement lines from rogue and monk stacking. Take 2 rogue, put points in the acrobat tree to get the staff speed buff, the cheap quick strike, and then at least 5 monk to grab the tier 5 henshin staff specialization and opposing philosophy enhancements... and the rest is pretty much up to you :D Personally I never think a monk is complete without at least 12 levels to get abundant step... Well, on a staff build abundant step is negotiable if you opt to take acrobat to tier 5, which has its own ki-free (but 30 second cooldown) abundant step, which the text describes as some sort of pole vault. Must have a staff equipped.

I would start with a guarantee of 5 levels of monk or rogue and 4 levels of the other to get the full complement of both staff damage lines. Since the OP is leaning toward monk that would be at least 5 monk and 4 rogue. 6 monk for the free adept of forms and the extra feat, so now 6/4 monk/rogue. That leaves 10 levels to play with and a dizzying array of choices.

12 monk seems a no-brainer at this point both for abundant step and master of forms, so 12/4/4 monk/rogue/?. There's some nice melee trees in fighter, cleric, favored soul, possibly wizard, and maybe barbarian (no clue never touched em). Or paladin for the saves bonus and immunities, though be aware that the pally trees blow chunks and may as well not even exist in terms of melee damage.

WilliamBraveheart
02-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Halfling 12/6/2 monk/rogue/?
str 12
dex 18
con 15
int 15
wis 12
cha 8

all level ups to dex

enhancements

rogue acrobat:
Staff control
Stick fighting
staff training 4 tiers
thief acrobats x3
sly flourish x3
quick strikes x3
sweeping strikes x3
staff lunge
dex x2
staff specialization

Henshin monk:

riddle of fire
staff training x4
Way of the tortoise
contemplation x3
fists of iron
dex x2

Halfling:
dragonmarks X6
halfling luck x3
halfling dex x2
break out the leeches

WilliamBraveheart
02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
You're a monk, simply run straight through the traps :P

But seriously, staff builds are great right now with the staff enhancement lines from rogue and monk stacking. Take 2 rogue, put points in the acrobat tree to get the staff speed buff, the cheap quick strike, and then at least 5 monk to grab the tier 5 henshin staff specialization and opposing philosophy enhancements... and the rest is pretty much up to you :D Personally I never think a monk is complete without at least 12 levels to get abundant step... I just love it that much. Maybe add some more rogue levels if you think your trapping is not up to snuff? Or 4 paladin for uber saves and divine might, or fighter for even more boosts, enhanced tactics for great trips? You could even grab a few wiz or soc levels and go grab some of the fun EK stuffs. It's a very flexible template.

need at least 3 rogue to get staff speed
my bad that was for dex to damage