PDA

View Full Version : New necromancer

creedfox
02-13-2014, 10:13 AM
I have leveled a "necromancer" up to level 10, but do not feel as though he is doing what i like. By the time i cast my spells to cripple the monsters, the melee have killed them already anyways. Also, i am not sure the Spell-like ability necrotic bolt is getting the benefit from spellpower. Any advice for a guy who has no idea if he is doing this right? Also, thoughts on the feat that allows INT for the ability modifier for reflex saves?

Teh_Troll
02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Insighful Reflexes is the feat.

At level 10 you should be nuking, fireball, CoC, etc . . . there is zero need for any crowd control at these levels.

creedfox
02-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Then what is the point of taking necromancy as a path? We should all just be archmages.

Teh_Troll
02-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Then what is the point of taking necromancy as a path? We should all just be archmages.

it pays at higher levels. At lower levels the mobs don't have enough HP to bother insta-killing.

1 Finger of Death versus a Delayed Blast fireball . .. about the same in SP but the fireball will clear a room (or hurt everything so bad it dies soon enough)

Get to higher levels and epics where the HP are much higher it's a different story.

You're a wizard, be flexible. You can change your spells at every shrine. it's what's wonderful about the class, it's versatility.

Vellrad
02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
it pays at higher levels. At lower levels the mobs don't have enough HP to bother insta-killing.

1 Finger of Death versus a Delayed Blast fireball . .. about the same in SP but the fireball will clear a room (or hurt everything so bad it dies soon enough)

Get to higher levels and epics where the HP are much higher it's a different story.

You're a wizard, be flexible. You can change your spells at every shrine. it's what's wonderful about the class, it's versatility.

I think the guy u quoted said path, and by that, he meant auto levelup progress. You know, that noob trap at character creation sreen that vets avoid like plague.
I admit, necromancer the path that ssucks least, but still.

creedfox
02-13-2014, 11:21 AM
But what do you think of the whole reflex save feat for a wizard?

Teh_Troll
02-13-2014, 11:23 AM

It's friggin awesome.

Vellrad
02-13-2014, 11:23 AM

Mandatory.

No buts.
No discussion.

Postumus
02-13-2014, 11:28 AM
I have leveled a "necromancer" up to level 10, but do not feel as though he is doing what i like. By the time i cast my spells to cripple the monsters, the melee have killed them already anyways. Also, i am not sure the Spell-like ability necrotic bolt is getting the benefit from spellpower. Any advice for a guy who has no idea if he is doing this right? Also, thoughts on the feat that allows INT for the ability modifier for reflex saves?

Not sure how you play, but I went through a typical play style cycle on my first arcane casters.

At first I'd draw too much aggro and end up kiting and dying a lot. Then I dialed back my aggression and while I stayed alive longer, as monsters got tougher it was became harder to kill them quickly and eventually I was dying a lot again.

I went to the forums for advice and I was told to 'embrace the pain.' So I dialed up my aggression even more and tried to get as much aggro as I could possibly handle then concentrated on bringing that stuff down fast. I would take a lot more damage, but I used the spells I had - stoneskin, displacement, jump, HP buffs, death aura - to keep myself alive while I gathered up everything and dragged or contained it in my AOEs. Bosses, trash, whatever I did the same thing.

You can do this various ways - kite things through your spells, lure them into your party kill zone with fireballs/acid splash, turtle up behind a shield inside your AOE (with stoneskin, displace, death aura) and let things beat on you until they die, crowd control and AOE (dancing ball + acid rain or web & firewall for example), etc. Which you choose usually comes down to personal preference.

If you want to kill lots of things in a group, dial up your aggro, max & empower your spells, max your spell power and let her rip. You'll blow through SPs faster, but you will kill a lot more stuff.

You could also stop with some of the CC and focus on more on dropping AOEs like acid rain, firewall, ice storm on the monsters after the melees get initial aggro.

Buffyanne
02-25-2014, 02:56 PM
It's always nice to let the melee have their fun at mid levels because if you build your PM properly you will be hearing all sorts of they need to nerf PMs when you run at higher levels. The spells you will want are circle of death, finger of death, necrotic ray and wail of the banshee. Your INT should be high enough where you'll be able to land phantasmal killer reliably too. If you take the illusion focus from the AM tree then you can get 10 sp PKs. Don't focus on the PM slas like necro bolt or blast, they suck now that you can't metamagic them. So, a good killing sequence is something like....

wail of banshee a whole mess dead....
circle of death...another 3 or 4 dead
finger of death to take out orange names or casters
phantasmal killer just to kill something for 10 sps
necrotic ray to steal kills from melee for 10 sps they will really like that heh
frost lance for 10 sps can do the same

You'll need heighten for PK, fod and cod. I don't max/heighten necro ray or frost lance and use them as cheap missile attacks. Don't forget a heightened web, traps things and then u drop a cod on them and they die. As a pale master you don't need to worry too much about maximize and empower once you get your death spells - your primary concern should be spell penetration and getting your necro DCs as high as possible. You will then own 99% of the game. Of course you will need really really high DCs to be effective in epic elite content.

bennyson
03-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Don't focus on the PM slas like necro bolt or blast, they suck now that you can't metamagic them.

HEY!

Necroic Touch, Bolt, and Blast were NEVER affect by metemagic feats, they never were before and after U19. The only necro SLAS that are affect by metemagic feats are the ones from the Archmage tree.