PDA

View Full Version : While using a shuriken, does the off-hand weapon provide any benefits?

TataLebuj
02-10-2014, 07:31 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the modifiers on an off-handed weapon somehow get added to the shuriken being thrown, but I can't find that post or any other post confirming or denying this. So silly "I-just-returned-from-way-too-long-and-am-back-to-being-a-noob" question......Does a Holy Kama of Stunning or Keen Kama of Vertigo actually add the holy effect? or the keen adjustment? or the addition to my trip check? etc...

If it does, are there only specific ones that work or is it any/all?

Thanks for any answers,

Tata/Keboom

GeoffWatson
02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Some stuff does:

Seeker, Sneak attack, Armour-Piercing, Deception,
Fiery Detonation, Freezing Gale, Electric Storm, Acid Torrent,

Stunning and Vertigo would, if you could stun/trip with a shuriken.

Maybe some other stuff I've forgotten.

Moltier
02-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Just a few things work. Your best option is the light sword from citw. Dont remember the name.
It has a fiery detonation, and a greater sunburst effect. Now with IPS, shurriken spam, its actually usefull, and fun to watch. It does 300ish damage in a huge area, and when you do it right, attacking 2-3 or 4 enemys is enough to blow up the whole battlefield with these effects! :)
You can provide an amazing show, and it also have a nice chance to blind your enemys.

TataLebuj
02-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the quick response! This helps tremendously. Where would I find more information about the specifics though? I've looked under "shuriken" and "thrower" on the Wiki and I'm not seeing anything about the off hand weapon or modifiers that work when using one.

Cheers,

galei
02-10-2014, 08:47 AM
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423018-Shiradi-Shuricannon?p=5165873&viewfull=1#post5165873

TataLebuj
02-10-2014, 09:04 AM
They detail the effects, but not the specific modifiers - that's actually the build I'm following, but how sad is it that I completely forgot that it's the same place I saw the original mention. (slaps forehead) Thanks again for pointing it out.

I'm currently lvl 15, but I purchased Shadowfell (? that latest expansion) should I go over there and try and get some weapons (kama i assume) to finish off my heroic 20 ?

The feedback here is amazing, thanks for making my return to usefulness :cool: enjoyable.:cool:

galei
02-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Honestly i would wait . And possibly just look around on the AH for possibly a deception or other useful offhand for the time being until you can pull or get celestia. By the way do you have a spell touch shuriken from e-star yet? If not i would highly suggest getting one since you can start using them when you hit 16.

TataLebuj
02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Honestly i would wait . And possibly just look around on the AH for possibly a deception or other useful offhand for the time being until you can pull or get celestia. By the way do you have a spell touch shuriken from e-star yet? If not i would highly suggest getting one since you can start using them when you hit 16.

I have nothing from eveningstar, which is why I was wondering if I should go over and try the level 15 content now to get some gear to help me finish off my first life (this is one of my original toons) then TR into a better version of the same build ( loving the shuriken and all the pretty numbers - and that's with nothing more than icy burst from the SorrowDusk end reward).

Can I get spell touched at level 15 ? I thought that was epic content? My only epic toon isn't ready for now, he was a TWF tempest ranger who was fun to use when I had him. I haven't looked at fixing him up to do Epic Elites - and from what I read on the forums that is where all the decent loot drops.

Saekee
02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Can I get spell touched at level 15 ? I thought that was epic content?

You mean level 16 Cormyrian throwers? At 16, yes.

TataLebuj
02-11-2014, 08:49 AM
You mean level 16 Cormyrian throwers? At 16, yes.

Actually, I have no clue what I mean. I'm still trying to figure out what I should be running and what I shouldn't be. There seems to be a ton of content now and I don't know if I should focus on getting gear or just playing through the content - is it easier to play the content when you have the right gear or is it more fun/challenging to do the quests without uber gear. I don't know and any advice regarding where to go to find good gear to support the Shuri-Cannon would be appreciated. I'm going to go back and re-read the original thread as there was a lot of good ideas, just so many topics are mentioned with the assumption the reader knows what the subject is that it can be a little daunting.

I'm still trying to figure out what citw is for the "sword of light".

Cheers,

EDIT: Caught in the Web - and the sword must be Celestia. Luckily for me my toons do have raid boxes, so I have celestia (or can make one right away) I just can't use it until level 20 something. I'm only level 15 (with enough xp now to go to 16, but I wanted to finish the Coin Lord Palace quest chain on elite before leveling - what a great bunch of quests)

Firewall
02-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Some stuff does:

Seeker, Sneak attack, Armour-Piercing, Deception,
Fiery Detonation, Freezing Gale, Electric Storm, Acid Torrent,

Stunning and Vertigo would, if you could stun/trip with a shuriken.

Maybe some other stuff I've forgotten.

That's basically what comes to mind. Maybe one should add Riposte since it is a guard effect and of course some passive/defensive effects too like parrying for example.

At level 15 i would definately advise you to go to Wheloon and get the end reward items from the quests like the +40 HP or Speed VIII belt ML 15, the +8 DEX or Riposte VIII bracers ML 15, the +8 CON gloves ML 15, the +8% Dodge necklace ML 15.
Maybe you are even lucky and get a Pale Green Ioun Stone from the Shadow of a Doubt quest.

You should also be able to run Eveningstar Challenges for the ML 16 spelltouched shuriken ingredients.

As an Offhand weapon at that level either craft yourself a +8 Seeker Kama or shortsword or try to get the Treason shortsword from the Reaver raid (http://ddowiki.com/page/Treason_%28weapon%29) which has some very nice effects at ML 14.

TeacherSyn
02-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Actually, I have no clue what I mean. I'm still trying to figure out what I should be running and what I shouldn't be. There seems to be a ton of content now and I don't know if I should focus on getting gear or just playing through the content - is it easier to play the content when you have the right gear or is it more fun/challenging to do the quests without uber gear. I don't know and any advice regarding where to go to find good gear to support the Shuri-Cannon would be appreciated. I'm going to go back and re-read the original thread as there was a lot of good ideas, just so many topics are mentioned with the assumption the reader knows what the subject is that it can be a little daunting.

I'm still trying to figure out what citw is for the "sword of light".

Cheers,

Eveningstar has several Challenges (http://ddowiki.com/page/Eveningstar_Challenge_Pack) where you can take ingredients earned there and craft special weapons and items. The Spelltouched Shuriken available are semi-randomly generated weapons with high numbers of special weapon effects. They come in level 16, 20 and 24 varieties, differing only in the number of effects. For star throwers, these are the go-to weapons since there are only three named shuriken in-game, with only one having an Epic option.

On off-hand effects: Look for the "Passive" description of a weapon. Often the off-hand effect shown in the description works on any weapon you use in your main hand.

The "sword of light" others are describing is likely the Celestia (http://ddowiki.com/page/Celestia,_Brightest_Star_of_Day), an Epic sword with impressive fire effects from its passive side that work with throwing stars.

The Shuricannon thread is filled with all the starter information you require. Take some time and read to find the descriptions of items you need for Heroic play.

TataLebuj
02-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks Firewall for the great advice, I'm heading there tonight to see what I can get done. Much appreciation to Spencerian also for the great information and the details on how to proceed, it's exactly what I needed as well. I'll also thank you for reminding me that most of my questions are already answered in the original SHuri-Cannon thread, it's just such a long thread with information going back and forth and some of it I don't understand, however, your point is well taken and I'll stop replying here.

Thanks everyone for the great replies, it has really helped me out and made it easier to start DDO back up.

Cheers,