PDA

View Full Version : Need help with range rogue

Choopak
02-06-2014, 03:30 AM
Sup guys...

Been looking for a range build rogue. Saw a lot of Assassins, and Acrobats that sometimes used a x-bow, but that's not what i'm looking for.
So what i would like:
1) mostly range (got a few melee already)
2) rogue as primary, no need to be pure (artificer offer good synergy with INT rogue)
3) INT/DEX as main stat...
4) race: human/ PDK, or WF/ bladeforged, have both available for iconic TR.
5) most be able to do EN/ EH traps! what's the use of a rogue who can't do traps?

Any advice would be appreciated, a build (with leveling, feats, enhancements) would be AWESOME!!!
Thanks guys...

ReaperAlexEU
02-06-2014, 05:06 AM
i have an INT based mechanic that mixes in assassin for the insta kills and boost to sneak attack dice. so regular DPS is ranged with melee only for the insta kills. all of his feats are ranged based and his assassinate DC has worked wonderfully in low level eberron epic elites and gianthold epic hards.

trap work needs the right items as it does for any rogue, but the high INT makes it a little more forgiving. self healing is from heal scrolls.

the build varies depending on what resources you have, 28 pt, 32 pt, reincarnation and tomes. DEX is the crux of this build as you need to hit 21 for the epic feats. i suggest starting at 17 DEX, ideally with a +4 tome to hit 21 but at worst you can use 2 level ups and the +2 tome from 1750 favour. level ups should go into INT for your damage and assassinate DC.

STR is just for hauling loot, and in that regard odd numbers do count so feel free to grab whatever STR item you can
DEX is for accuracy with both repeater and blade
CON is as ever important, even at range you will get clobbered now and then
INT is for damage, assassinate DC and reflex saves
WIS is sacrificed, which can make spot checks tricky so do take care of items and buffs
CHA is for UMD, both heal scrolls and some form of raise dead. this is a luxury to pump for the heroic levels making UMD mature that much faster, but by end game it can be skimped on. personally i had this at 14 when i true reincarnated then i dropped it after getting my mabar INT tome and lesser reincarnating at lvl20ish

don't worry about odd numbers at character gen, there are plenty of ways to even stats out with gear

28pt human

str 8
dex 17
con 12
int 16
wis 8
cha 9

32 pt human

str 8
dex 17
con 12
int 16
wis 8
cha 13

34 pt human

str 8
dex 17
con 14
int 16
wis 8
cha 13

34 pt human focused on end game

str 8
dex 17
con 14
int 17
wis 8
cha 10

you can mix things up a bit, 19 DEX for imp precise shot at lvl15 and then 21 DEX at lvl 21 are the important numbers to hit. at lvl28 with no buffs i could now skimp on CHA even more as i have a 110% chance to resurrect (50% HP instead of 10% from raise dead), but it does add to my bluff too so it's not entirely wasted. my version is a halfling so DEX was easier to get to 17 but i had to pump some points into STR to counter that 3/4 carrying capacity problem halflings get.

feats

1 point blank shot
3 exotic: heavy repeater (swap to rapid reload at lvl12)
6 insightful reflex
9 precise shot
12 imp crit: ranged
15 imp precise shot
18 precision
21 imp sa
24 combat archery
26 toughness
27 blinding speed
28 doubleshot (requires 2 primal destinies maxed out)

as a human you can take rapid shot too, something i decided to skip on my halfling. the feat swap at lvl12 is when as a mechanic you get the heavy repeaters for free, you can use the free respec token from lockania in the market for that. the 2 primal destinies is a real pain, but a daily VON3 (or whatever the equivalent will be next update) smooths the off destiny grind out. i did however max shadow dancer then move towards the primal destinies, looking back i'd have probably either started in legendary or shiradi to ease the destiny grind. as it was i hit lvl28 before i had enough destiny exp which was a little irritating but not the end of the world.

skills

skills depend on the starting INT and what INT tomes you will use. basics are balance, bluff, disable, hide, jump, move silently, search, spot, UMD. ones you can skimp a few points on are open lock and tumble. nice to haves are concentration, diplomacy and haggle.

enhancements

mechanic up to core 4 for heavy repeaters
wand and scroll mastery 3
2 x INT

assassin up to cap stone
all sneak attack training
venomed blades 3 (leave it off when assassinating for now, fix due next update)
shadow dagger 3
assassinate
measure the foe 3

acrobat core 1
faster sneaking 3

this isn't a full breakdown but those are the important bits to hit. as a human you can grab the low rank healing amp

destiny

shadow dancer or shiradi.

i favour shadow dancer but i did enjoy stand and deliver in shiradi for raw damage (+10 damage that stacks with archers focus), i also twisted in stay frosty and pin from shiradi. as mentioned you will need to cap 2 primal destinies to qualify for the doubleshot feat at lvl28. technically doubleshot is only 3% bonus per bolt, but that puts us at 9% chance per volley which is almost the same as the 10% archers get.

i'm still tweaking my shadow dancer layout. i've tried consume and dark imbuement but neither have impressed me. i like shadow manipulation and shadow form so will be keeping those. i have max grim precision for the 15% fort bypass (equated to 15% chance to crit/sneak attack undead!). stealthy is maxed of course for the +6 assassinate DC. i took 2 x INT at the low ranks because there wasn't much else i wanted down there. i played with shadow lance but even though it's a triple hit it didn't seem as effective as the shadow dagger from assassinate. i might play with pumping improved invisibility to max next for the displacement effect. i gave up on shrouding shot and instead switched to shrouding strike. shrouding shot does not play well with repeaters, it fails to trigger if you are on the reload animation (not a show stopper) but worse it stops assassinations from building up charges. shrouding strike on the other hand can even be used on low lvl kobolds to build up charges and works well with assassinate. it's on my quickbars but i just use assassinate to build up charges in most quests. i love the tumbling while in shadow form, it seems the penalty for sneaking does not apply making it easy to get out of melee range on a failed assassination attempt leaving the mobs flailing about in the dark trying to hit something that is no longer there.

i did mess with cocoon in primal avatar but without any feats or items to boost it i found plain old heal scrolls to be more effective. didn't enjoy this tree much and am wondering if i should have maxed fury of the wild instead to mess with adrenaline.

legendary dreadnought was the worst to move through, but only needs lvl4. i found myself mostly pumping STR to make hauling loot easier. i hear blitz plays well with ranged combat but didn't hang about long enough to find out.

on shiradi i tried the rainbow effects but didn't notice much from them, seems repeaters just don't have the rate of fire for that to shine. stay frosty is great though due to the speed debuff on enemy movements. pin and ottos whistler are a pain to use as they will fail if you are on the reload animation and wont trigger a reload animation when you use them (same as shrouding shot). that said if you are careful with your clickings they can keep a mob permanently locked down as the effect lasts longer than the cooldown! main highlight in this tree for me is stand and deliver. it does tempt me to switch back into shridari for raids just for the +10 damage bonus. at the mo however i'm learning fall of truth and find i need to keep moving about to avoid the rampaging dragons and later to ensure if i get hit with the 1,2,3, boom i'm not going to infect anyone else. shadow dancer does have a 5% chance to open a raid boss up to sneak attacks and also 5% vulnerability to physical damage, so i guess that is helping the raid too as it applies to the whole party.

i've had a ranged rogue for a good few years now, but this latest version with assassinate mixed in is by far my favourite. i've been delighted to see my assassinate DC remain effective from lvl14 to lvl28, though i do not expect it to work in epic elite gianthold or stormholm. well, maybe 50% chance in there i guess. for epic elites the rad II repeater from the shroud is a great weapon to aim for, the blindness has no saving throw making it effective vs trash no matter how high their saves are. not as good as the doublecross bow was in heroics, as that also gave 50% bonus damage due to helplessness, but i'm yet to craft the epic version and i think the saving throw will make it less exciting. naturally i picked up needle from the raiders box, that is great for boss fights when you wont have aggro, but a deception loot gen is better for if you are soloing. the black dragon scale armour was well worth the time farming in gianthold, i'm still working towards the epic version and i felt the grind time was very reasonable as i was still getting good exp from tor in my heroics. i have 2/3 parts for the epic midnight greetings, that's been a main focus since lvl20 though i should have spent more time in bargain of blood and less in tide turns, d'oh!

ReaperAlexEU
02-06-2014, 05:17 AM
oh one addition, it is a common misconception that TWF assassins get 2 assassin procs per attempt. this is false, every assassin gets 2 procs per attempt even you are swinging a single dagger!

it's very satisfying taking down 2 mobs at the same time with the double assassination attempt :)

unbongwah
02-06-2014, 11:56 AM
A bit more detail: What tomes etc. can / have you applied? What PLs do you have? If you use an Iconic, are you willing to LR +1 to get rid of the initial class? Etc.

Choopak
02-06-2014, 01:16 PM
i have an INT based mechanic that mixes in assassin for the insta kills and boost to sneak attack dice. so regular DPS is ranged with melee only for the insta kills. all of his feats are ranged based and his assassinate DC has worked wonderfully in low level eberron epic elites and gianthold epic hards.

trap work needs the right items as it does for any rogue, but the high INT makes it a little more forgiving. self healing is from heal scrolls.

the build varies depending on what resources you have, 28 pt, 32 pt, reincarnation and tomes. DEX is the crux of this build as you need to hit 21 for the epic feats. i suggest starting at 17 DEX, ideally with a +4 tome to hit 21 but at worst you can use 2 level ups and the +2 tome from 1750 favour. level ups should go into INT for your damage and assassinate DC.

STR is just for hauling loot, and in that regard odd numbers do count so feel free to grab whatever STR item you can
DEX is for accuracy with both repeater and blade
CON is as ever important, even at range you will get clobbered now and then
INT is for damage, assassinate DC and reflex saves
WIS is sacrificed, which can make spot checks tricky so do take care of items and buffs
CHA is for UMD, both heal scrolls and some form of raise dead. this is a luxury to pump for the heroic levels making UMD mature that much faster, but by end game it can be skimped on. personally i had this at 14 when i true reincarnated then i dropped it after getting my mabar INT tome and lesser reincarnating at lvl20ish

don't worry about odd numbers at character gen, there are plenty of ways to even stats out with gear

28pt human

str 8
dex 17
con 12
int 16
wis 8
cha 9

32 pt human

str 8
dex 17
con 12
int 16
wis 8
cha 13

34 pt human

str 8
dex 17
con 14
int 16
wis 8
cha 13

34 pt human focused on end game

str 8
dex 17
con 14
int 17
wis 8
cha 10

you can mix things up a bit, 19 DEX for imp precise shot at lvl15 and then 21 DEX at lvl 21 are the important numbers to hit. at lvl28 with no buffs i could now skimp on CHA even more as i have a 110% chance to resurrect (50% HP instead of 10% from raise dead), but it does add to my bluff too so it's not entirely wasted. my version is a halfling so DEX was easier to get to 17 but i had to pump some points into STR to counter that 3/4 carrying capacity problem halflings get.

feats

1 point blank shot
3 exotic: heavy repeater (swap to rapid reload at lvl12)
6 insightful reflex
9 precise shot
12 imp crit: ranged
15 imp precise shot
18 precision
21 imp sa
24 combat archery
26 toughness
27 blinding speed
28 doubleshot (requires 2 primal destinies maxed out)

as a human you can take rapid shot too, something i decided to skip on my halfling. the feat swap at lvl12 is when as a mechanic you get the heavy repeaters for free, you can use the free respec token from lockania in the market for that. the 2 primal destinies is a real pain, but a daily VON3 (or whatever the equivalent will be next update) smooths the off destiny grind out. i did however max shadow dancer then move towards the primal destinies, looking back i'd have probably either started in legendary or shiradi to ease the destiny grind. as it was i hit lvl28 before i had enough destiny exp which was a little irritating but not the end of the world.

skills

skills depend on the starting INT and what INT tomes you will use. basics are balance, bluff, disable, hide, jump, move silently, search, spot, UMD. ones you can skimp a few points on are open lock and tumble. nice to haves are concentration, diplomacy and haggle.

enhancements

mechanic up to core 4 for heavy repeaters
wand and scroll mastery 3
2 x INT

assassin up to cap stone
all sneak attack training
venomed blades 3 (leave it off when assassinating for now, fix due next update)
shadow dagger 3
assassinate
measure the foe 3

acrobat core 1
faster sneaking 3

this isn't a full breakdown but those are the important bits to hit. as a human you can grab the low rank healing amp

destiny

shadow dancer or shiradi.

i favour shadow dancer but i did enjoy stand and deliver in shiradi for raw damage (+10 damage that stacks with archers focus), i also twisted in stay frosty and pin from shiradi. as mentioned you will need to cap 2 primal destinies to qualify for the doubleshot feat at lvl28. technically doubleshot is only 3% bonus per bolt, but that puts us at 9% chance per volley which is almost the same as the 10% archers get.

i'm still tweaking my shadow dancer layout. i've tried consume and dark imbuement but neither have impressed me. i like shadow manipulation and shadow form so will be keeping those. i have max grim precision for the 15% fort bypass (equated to 15% chance to crit/sneak attack undead!). stealthy is maxed of course for the +6 assassinate DC. i took 2 x INT at the low ranks because there wasn't much else i wanted down there. i played with shadow lance but even though it's a triple hit it didn't seem as effective as the shadow dagger from assassinate. i might play with pumping improved invisibility to max next for the displacement effect. i gave up on shrouding shot and instead switched to shrouding strike. shrouding shot does not play well with repeaters, it fails to trigger if you are on the reload animation (not a show stopper) but worse it stops assassinations from building up charges. shrouding strike on the other hand can even be used on low lvl kobolds to build up charges and works well with assassinate. it's on my quickbars but i just use assassinate to build up charges in most quests. i love the tumbling while in shadow form, it seems the penalty for sneaking does not apply making it easy to get out of melee range on a failed assassination attempt leaving the mobs flailing about in the dark trying to hit something that is no longer there.

i did mess with cocoon in primal avatar but without any feats or items to boost it i found plain old heal scrolls to be more effective. didn't enjoy this tree much and am wondering if i should have maxed fury of the wild instead to mess with adrenaline.

legendary dreadnought was the worst to move through, but only needs lvl4. i found myself mostly pumping STR to make hauling loot easier. i hear blitz plays well with ranged combat but didn't hang about long enough to find out.

on shiradi i tried the rainbow effects but didn't notice much from them, seems repeaters just don't have the rate of fire for that to shine. stay frosty is great though due to the speed debuff on enemy movements. pin and ottos whistler are a pain to use as they will fail if you are on the reload animation and wont trigger a reload animation when you use them (same as shrouding shot). that said if you are careful with your clickings they can keep a mob permanently locked down as the effect lasts longer than the cooldown! main highlight in this tree for me is stand and deliver. it does tempt me to switch back into shridari for raids just for the +10 damage bonus. at the mo however i'm learning fall of truth and find i need to keep moving about to avoid the rampaging dragons and later to ensure if i get hit with the 1,2,3, boom i'm not going to infect anyone else. shadow dancer does have a 5% chance to open a raid boss up to sneak attacks and also 5% vulnerability to physical damage, so i guess that is helping the raid too as it applies to the whole party.

i've had a ranged rogue for a good few years now, but this latest version with assassinate mixed in is by far my favourite. i've been delighted to see my assassinate DC remain effective from lvl14 to lvl28, though i do not expect it to work in epic elite gianthold or stormholm. well, maybe 50% chance in there i guess. for epic elites the rad II repeater from the shroud is a great weapon to aim for, the blindness has no saving throw making it effective vs trash no matter how high their saves are. not as good as the doublecross bow was in heroics, as that also gave 50% bonus damage due to helplessness, but i'm yet to craft the epic version and i think the saving throw will make it less exciting. naturally i picked up needle from the raiders box, that is great for boss fights when you wont have aggro, but a deception loot gen is better for if you are soloing. the black dragon scale armour was well worth the time farming in gianthold, i'm still working towards the epic version and i felt the grind time was very reasonable as i was still getting good exp from tor in my heroics. i have 2/3 parts for the epic midnight greetings, that's been a main focus since lvl20 though i should have spent more time in bargain of blood and less in tide turns, d'oh!

Wow!! just wow! thanks a lot for this, happy to stay full rogue (would not have mind going arti...)
definitively +1

Choopak
02-06-2014, 01:22 PM
A bit more detail: What tomes etc. can / have you applied? What PLs do you have? If you use an Iconic, are you willing to LR +1 to get rid of the initial class? Etc.

I have a full set of +2 tomes and couples of +3 (in STR/CON/CHA). This was my human bard (WC) who's been sitting in bank collecting dust. So bunch of melee and caster gear, 34 points build (PL bard) and i'm VIP and got both expansions. Have access to all races/ classes + PDK and bladeforged. Also have a decent crafter (other toon) mats, and $$ (around 3 mill plats)

ReaperAlexEU
02-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Wow!! just wow! thanks a lot for this, happy to stay full rogue (would not have mind going arti...)
definitively +1

hehe, your welcome :). an arti mix can be very effective, certainly better at straight repeater DPS due to less reliance on sneak attacks and also less reliance on being in point blank range. but then you'd miss out on the fun of the insta kill ability. both are great choices so really it's down to personal preference.

I have a full set of +2 tomes and couples of +3 (in STR/CON/CHA). This was my human bard (WC) who's been sitting in bank collecting dust. So bunch of melee and caster gear, 34 points build (PL bard) and i'm VIP and got both expansions. Have access to all races/ classes + PDK and bladeforged. Also have a decent crafter (other toon) mats, and $$ (around 3 mill plats)

if you have the free TP points to buy a +4 upgrade DEX tome then you can go full on INT based which will be nice in the long run. also if you can stretch to a better INT tome then make sure you eat that before reincarnating as it means the bonus to skill points kicks in one level earlier. the leveling is very pleasant as the mechanic keeps up nicely with the difficulty curve, i elite streaked the heroics and didn't feel out of depth at any point.

with either the bard or another high lvl char you might want to farm out some nice repeaters and collect any other bits of handy gear. trapping gear is a pain now as it's not always on the AH, and that will have a large impact on your ability to do at level elite traps. crafting can fix that problem if you have access to a crafter. initially pots of heroism and fox's cunning are well worth bagging a stack of for the elite quests. also make sure you knock off 2nd house D favour and fill several quivers with the 75% returning bolts, ammo usage is a massive pain in the rump until you have the favour for those!

i'd recommend a lvl10 paralyser and the doublecross bow for lvl16. i'd focus on a rad II for the first shroud repeater then a lit II if you want that for regular DPS until you can get a higher level one like the needle. the silver slinger is also nice at lvl16 for undead (blunt ammo!)

a deception repeater and improved deception item will help with CC and maintaining sneak attacks. the imp deception item will be handy to have on all the time. ring of lies and golden guile are both nice sources of imp deception with other handy bonuses for rogues. you can get the min lvl15 +8 DEX bracers from the whealoon chain.

for gear in general take a look at the INT based assassins. there wont be a lot of difference between the mechanic and assassin gear wise. there are some great posts out there for top end gear if that is where you are aiming at. mine is far from being pimped out like that and has several event items like the spy glass and a INT mabar tome.

if you scrimp and save you can get mechanic fleshed out by lvl12 and the assassinate ability at lvl14 (well, end of lvl14). so you might want to plan a few respecs on your enhancements for those 2 landmarks. at lvl15 i started work on measure the foe and faster sneaking then it was all gravy after that.

hopefully you'll get a few more builds posted, they should all be quite viable so just pick the one that appeals to you the most.