PDA

View Full Version : Returning after several year hiatus

Swagschwartz
01-29-2014, 08:28 AM
I am coming back to DDO after a pretty long hiatus. I never really leveled up that high, my previous high was around 9. I'm running with a friend who's going wizard and looking for advice on how to build my monk. I found an old guide on the ddowiki about a pure str monk, but that seems outdated with this new enhancement system. Can anyone give some advice? It would be much appreciated.

Munkenmo
01-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Are you continuing from level 9 or are you starting again from scratch?

Do you have 32 point builds, will you be using any tomes and do you have half elf?

Brunhildha
01-29-2014, 09:03 AM
I am coming back to DDO after a pretty long hiatus. I never really leveled up that high, my previous high was around 9. I'm running with a friend who's going wizard and looking for advice on how to build my monk. I found an old guide on the ddowiki about a pure str monk, but that seems outdated with this new enhancement system. Can anyone give some advice? It would be much appreciated.

Monks were always great fun, and have done well out of the changes since you were away. They are one of the few classes that still has significant advantages as a pure build, but they are also an essential part of many of the multiclass builds you will see running around. This is because the goodies start early, because Stunning Fist is based on Character level not Monk level, and because of the synergy between Thousand Stars and Ranger Manyshot.

You didn't mention if you and your friend are going Pugging or just Duo, but either way self healing is the name of the game now. Wizzies can go in necro form, and light monks have just about enough self healing to get by if you max Heal Amp.

I'm not a monk expert, but if learning I would go pure, and take the Light Path. Wisdom is more important than strength these days for Stunning Fist DC and other effects. Here is an example of an old fashioned starter str/wis based light monk.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426422-New-to-monk-some-advice

There are lots of other builds posted. I am sure you will have fun, good luck.

Hiacynthe

Swagschwartz
01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Are you continuing from level 9 or are you starting again from scratch?

Do you have 32 point builds, will you be using any tomes and do you have half elf?

I started over lvl 5 pure so far I had 32 point builds unlocked and I'm human. I'm not sure about tomes.

Swagschwartz
01-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Monks were always great fun, and have done well out of the changes since you were away. They are one of the few classes that still has significant advantages as a pure build, but they are also an essential part of many of the multiclass builds you will see running around. This is because the goodies start early, because Stunning Fist is based on Character level not Monk level, and because of the synergy between Thousand Stars and Ranger Manyshot.

You didn't mention if you and your friend are going Pugging or just Duo, but either way self healing is the name of the game now. Wizzies can go in necro form, and light monks have just about enough self healing to get by if you max Heal Amp.

I'm not a monk expert, but if learning I would go pure, and take the Light Path. Wisdom is more important than strength these days for Stunning Fist DC and other effects. Here is an example of an old fashioned starter str/wis based light monk.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/426422-New-to-monk-some-advice

There are lots of other builds posted. I am sure you will have fun, good luck.

Hiacynthe

We just duo typically as opposed to waiting around for a party. We can knock out most at level hard content with ease. I'll check out the thread thanks.