PDA

View Full Version : Help! Too many buttons!!!

Scrag
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Ok, so. I have had chars with 5 bars of stuff. Not so bad, since my combat was usually only like 5 buttons, and the rest were like, equipment changes, rare use skills/enhs/abils, or buff bits.

My new char is a monk/fighter/eldritch knight.

I have a huge problem. I run cleave, great cleave, iron fists, ek cleave, ek tempest, incinerating wave, and now.... momentum swing.

Ok, so 6 buttons wasnt so bad. It was 1-5, and occasionally click or try to stretch my fingers to 6 (ek tempest).

But now, I have 4 powers that all recharge momentum swing..... My incinerating wave has a 9 second cool down. iron fists has a 4 or 5 second cooldown. Cleave, gc, and iron fists are mashed like potatoes. Incinerating wave and ek cleave are mashed like yams. Not as common, but still tasty.

How can I possibly mash constantly 6 buttons and still somehow pull of ek tempest? Is there a way I can rebind a key somewhere that is easier to reach? 1-6 is my fingers max spread.... and it is slightly painful to spread them that far.

Noleta
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
I just came back so im re learning the game I have the same issue so I will be watching this thread Ild like to map 2 hot bars to honest with maybe a tab toggle for each bar

kmankowski
01-27-2014, 01:50 PM
There is a key binding section in the options menu. Your R and F keys will be your new best friends. My monk used, Q, E, V and ~, too. You'll have to decide if you want to rebind Q and E though since they serve other functions in the game.

Ryan220
01-27-2014, 01:53 PM
I used to have terrible trouble using all the keys required but cured it by using a Razer Naga and Razer Nostromo.

Not cheap, but it made playing a lot easier

Loromir
01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
I was having the same problems...mainly with my casters and archers. I just bought an 11 button mouse (Razor...something or other) and it works really well. I use those 11 buttons as well as some button from the number pad on a traditional keyboard (0,enter,+, Delete). Usually takes me a few minutes to get used to a specific character when I switch from another character.

dunklezhan
01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
If you can master it, pressing Ctrl + mouse wheel will cycle through any hot bars you have NOT popped out. So lets say you've popped out bars 2-5. If you press ctrl +wheel in one way, hot bar 1 will become hot bar 20. Turn the wheel the other way and hotbar 1 becomes hot bar 6. Pressing 1-6 will activate whatever you have bound in those slots on the hot bar now shown.

THis means you can have your synergising abilities all on one hot bar, then Ctrl/wheel forward one 'click', and have a hotbar with another set of synergising abilities. Your other hotbars that you have popped out you can fill with stuff you can take the time to click on rather than hotkey.

If you find reaching for Ctrl hard in combat, you could remap Ctrl/Wheel to just Wheel, and have Ctrl/Wheel do zoom in and out instead, as you're unlikely to NEED to do that in combat.

This can be really tricky to master depending on the haptic feedback quality of your mouse (i.e. does it click or give other feedback that it's moved 'once' so you can do it without staring at the hotbar), and the only character so far I have found the patience to learn with has been my archmage, where I have done that with charm vs nuking spells, and that works quite well. Ultility spells and buffs are all way out of the way since I can take the time to click them. I have also remapped Ctrl 1-3 and Shift 1-3 to hot bars 2 & 3 slots 1-3 so I have an extra 6 buttons I can get to.

But I do not claim to have an efficient layout. I have 16 hotbars out on most characters, usually filled with potions, gear etc, but often two or three hotbars are full of actual combat abilities, especially with monks and casters and I simply have to click them. However if you have something hardtargetted and assuming you're in range, while you're moving the mouse keep spamming 'e' ('use') and you'll keep swinging at it or hit your other hotkey abilities and you'll use those (e.g. cheap magic missile, cleave, etc), so you can move the mouse while not losing too much in the way of DPS or moving/looking unexpectedly.

I do hear good things about using a game controller actually, but I guess it depends on the controller and how many options you can get out of it, whether or not it has a 'shift' key (or whether you can reprogram a button to act as a shift or ctrl key).

Qhualor
01-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Line them up in order of cool down. Cleaves are better when you are fighting at least a couple or three mobs so I wouldn't be spamming them on everything. I use a mouse pointer when I play because pushing buttons confuses me and I always would hit the wrong number, especially if you have to hit multiple buttons to use something on a different hot bar. I also only hot bar things that I know I use while questing. Makes no sense to me to add clutter to my screen for stuff I use outside of quests or very rarely ever use.

PsychoBlonde
01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
You can try getting one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B0086UK7IQ). I have hotbars 1, 2, and 3 bound to 1-10, shift+1-10, and cntrl+1-10 respectively. It's much easier to hit shift+1 than 7 with your WASD hand. The multi-button mouse also really helps with that because you can hold down shift and hit the buttons on the mouse instead of reaching for keyboard buttons. The mouse also has its own modifier button that acts like holding down the cntrl key, meaning I can use 30+ buttons worth of stuff just with my mouse hand.

You may want to consider re-binding shift to be something other than block if you decide to use it this way, though. I rebound block to alt, which is nominally the runearm button but if you're not playing an arti you don't need a runearm button.

You can also assign two MORE modifier keys in the keybinding section, so you could, hypothetically, bind, say, G and V to modify your number keys so that you hit even MORE options as g+1-10 etc.

It takes some getting used to but there are ways to bring everything you want to do within easy reach. Having modifier keys even makes it easier because you can group abilities that do similar things together--for instance, put all of your defensive abilities on shift+# while AOE offensive abilities are cntrl+# and single-target offensive abilities are just #.

Xianio
01-27-2014, 03:13 PM
K.I.S.S. it.

Bind 1,2,3,R,F and 2 mouse buttons (mosts have a 'back' and mouse wheel so that shouldn't be hard). That gives you 7 :)

After that it's just about learning the muscle memory to fire them off in order. But hey, if people can learn how to play the drums you can learn how to click a couple of buttons in the same order over and over again. :)

Saekee
01-27-2014, 03:18 PM
There is a key binding section in the options menu. Your R and F keys will be your new best friends. My monk used, Q, E, V and ~, too. You'll have to decide if you want to rebind Q and E though since they serve other functions in the game.

note also that the ALT key is set up for artificer rune arm use, so you might want to switch that one out too. Use keys like R, F, and ALT to target the shortcuts that are hardest to reach with your fingersl ike the 7, 8, 9 etc. Also note that V can be programmed too--so right there you have four keys that are in easy reach of your hand.

1-4 are usually easy to reach and should be put in order of cooldowns. For my group hitters (cleave, Greater Cleave, and the EK cleave) I put them next to each other for cc.

mikarddo
01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
I find that Autohotkey works nicely if you just need to spam alot of abilities with no exact timing.
Its not at all hard to program either.

Aliss7
01-27-2014, 03:40 PM
You'll want to spend some quality time in the keymapping config options. The alt/ctl/shift modifiers are useful to remap. My second hotbar has keybinds alt-1/alt-2/alt-3/alt-4/etc. Find out what works for you. I find even far off keys are useful to remap, like the cursor and the group of insert/home/pgup/pgdn/del/end keys. My delete key is drink a curse pot and my up arrow is usually some type of no-fail raise option :).

ReaperAlexEU
01-27-2014, 09:19 PM
i played for years with just a regular mouse (back and forward buttons with a incremental wheel, none of that smooth scrolling nonsense!). i had quickbar slots 7 and 8 bound to back and forwards as my fingers could easily reach 1-6 and for some reason i found it easier finding 9 and 0 when my hand left WASD than i did finding 7 and 8. so, that put 8 buttons near my fingers, 2 of which were on my mouse which i put the most important stuff in that needed perfect positioning, eg landing that stun or trip. i combined that with ctrl+mousewheel to cycle through quickbars. i popped some other quickbars out for things like gear swaps that were not combat critical, just as you have.

that worked well but i did want for more at my fingertips. when my trusty razer diamond black gave up the ghost i decided to treat myself to one of these new "MMO" mice, made popular by the razer naga line. i loved the idea of having an entire numpad worth of buttons on the side of the mouse plus the regular stuff on top!

sadly the naga didn't work out for me, the philips twin eye sensor all but the 2013 one use plays havoc with my habit of lifting up and repositioning the mouse. so i went back to the store (only 70 miles away!) to try another one out, only this time with it plugged into a PC (never expected that to be important, turned out to be a real deal breaker). you see these MMO mice are very different in the hand and i'd highly recommend actually holding one before you put your cash down as the styling of them is even more important given the vast number of buttons you want to get used to. each gamer has a different preference and there are some nice options out there now.

personally i'm now using the logitech G600, though i can see the new 2013 naga being a contender for my personal preferences. so if you can justify a new mouse in that price bracket go find a store that stocks several models and get them to plug it into a PC for you to play with. open notepad and spam the buttons, they generally default to the numpad so you can see it typing even without any drivers installed. and do mess with lifting the mouse up as you would if you got to the edge of your mat. these high precision sensors are so accurate that lifting the mouse up can create a lot more movement than you might be used to. in the case of the twineye the movement isn't mostly reversed when you put it down again, darn thing moves again in the same direction it did when you lifted it up! now that said some gamers very rarely lift the mouse up so they wont bump into the same problem i did. my habit however is to reposition after every frigging mouse movement, and it's just too deeply embedded in my habits to shake it off. so, play with the mice, see what works for you.

aaaanyway, now that i have a 20+ button mouse my DDO setup is quite different. i have the side buttons bound to quickbar 9 and 10 which i pop out and keep on the screen so i can check cooldowns and toggles and such. the side buttons can activate the whole quickbar 9, or quickbar 10 if i hold down the 3rd mouse button the G600 has (think left click, right click, second right click). back and forwards are still set to 7 and 8 on my active quickbar and the 2 leftover side buttons do 9 and 0 (yes, there are 12 side buttons not 10!).

so, that gives me 2 entire quickbars on the mouse plus 7-0 on the active quickbar. i still ctrl+wheel to cycle quickbars but no where near as much as i used to.

i take care to cluster my feats and abilities to keep ones i'll use together near each other on the sidebar. the G600 has 2 banks of 6 buttons moulded in such a way that you can feel each back so your thumb can hop back and forth between each bank. the buttons are 3 in a row and 2 rows deep per each bank. so i can have my thumb on the top bank for my barbarian to spam all his cleaves, then hop down to the 2nd bank for situational stuff like adrenaline, stuns and healing. my paladin has the 2nd quickbars worth setup for switching between tank and DPS so i'll have stances and gear swaps all on there grouped together into the banks. my rogue has trap work on one bank, open locks and other misc on another bank (2nd quickbar with the shift button, he's got assassinate and such on the main quickbar). this has freed up the active quickbar on the keyboard to keep short term buffs running.

ok, that's enough waffle, i think you get the idea and the truth of it is there are so many varied approaches to controlling this game that you can read all the ideas you want, but you'll still be sat there one night working out just how you're going to make it all work for you. so goodluck with that, when you find the right way it makes you a lot better as a player :)

Lanhelin
01-28-2014, 06:34 AM
If you toggle on Auto Attack (put the auto attack icon in the hotbar), you'll auto attack every target you hard focus with Tab, without the need to push and hold the left mouse button. Then the Mouse is free to click on the hotbar icons.

If you do not click any icon but attack a soft focused or nearby target with LMB, the auto attack will be toggled off and you have to toggle it on again (maybe there is an option to circumvent this). Sometimes it's better to manually auto attack, like rising Undead who are not targetable but harmable.

Shorlong
01-28-2014, 07:18 AM
For me, Hotbar 1 is like normal, however, keys 6-0 are abilities I don't use as often or abilities that I can use while standing still. Hotbar 2 is mapped with ctrl+1-0, and that is usually my healing abilities, most powerful heal first. Hotbar 3 is mapped with alt+1-0 (and never used on my arti) and contains buffs that are short in duration, or are only used during a fight. My E key I can't use as it is mapped for press to talk (as I moved interact to F, which is interact in EVERY OTHER GAME, so I had to change it here as I started pressing E in other games). One thing I did do, however, was map ctrl+space. See, every toon I make has some form of glide ability (abundant step, vault, wind dance, leap of faith, flyby attack, boots of propulsion, snowslide) and I hated trying to click it or have to move it around to the one key as I only used it situationally. Now, since I usually have to jump first to use it, I realized that space was the best place to put it, almost like a double jump. So, I bound one hotbar to ctrl+space, and can now "double-jump" and use things like vault whenever I want to, easily!

SirJesto
02-06-2014, 04:00 PM
As a 40 year old man who loves D&D but has never played MMO's I get the feeling this is going to be incredibly difficult for me lol.

fool101
02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
My friends hate me when they see me play, because it's too much clicking.

But basically, I have my combat hotbars set up to be roughly where my cursor spends the majority of its time (upper part of the screen). I can easily reach 1-7 with my fingers so that's no big deal. But I always simply click 8-0 and secondary hotbar buttons. For instance on my PM, wail is key 9 so I always click it, which is no problem since the cooldown is fairly long and I don't need to target anything. Key 7 is finger, this is intentional since it is the furthest key I can reach so when something needs to die, I can feel confident that I won't mis-click.

If I were to re-learn how to play games I would put more focus on hotbar mapping, but I've done it this way for so long that it feels so natural (and honestly I've been quicker and more accurate with this as well, likely due to my inaccuracy with hitting the right key). The only thing that is more difficult IMO with this approach is kiting.

rayworks
02-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Razer Naga mouse for the win. 12 buttons right by my thumb.

EllisDee37
02-06-2014, 08:38 PM
I use just a regular 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel. It only does the normal stuff, like hold right mouse button to go into mouse look mode.

For combat I use the numeric keypad on a standard desktop keyboard. This gives 10 number keys (0-9), plus / * - + <Enter> . for another 6. That's 16 keys in immediate, easy reach without even going into the Alt versions.

I mapped the 4 key to Attack, then mapped the rest to hotbars I don't normally display on the screen. That way I can easily customize the keys for different characters.

For an example, here's my monk's key mappings:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/690/c6d9.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/j6c6d9j)

Pala-forged
02-06-2014, 09:40 PM
As a 40 year old man who loves D&D but has never played MMO's I get the feeling this is going to be incredibly difficult for me lol.

It's as hard as you make it. Some of my lives have had 20 hotkeys, current one has 6 and I just click on spells/buffs/gear. Taking a break from all the annoying stuff ^^

Teh_Troll
02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
you need one button.

Hjeal.

With me targeted.

Pala-forged
02-06-2014, 10:02 PM
you need one button.

Hjeal.

With me targeted.

Aren't you a BF?
If so, shouldn't it be reconstruct?

Teh_Troll
02-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Aren't you a BF?
If so, shouldn't it be reconstruct?

sigh . . . 1 of a zillion toons is BF.

Hjeal meh anyway.

Pala-forged
02-06-2014, 10:07 PM
sigh . . . 1 of a zillion toons is BF.

Hjeal meh anyway.

I only have reconstruct.
Maybe splash arti and take construct essence?

Teh_Troll
02-06-2014, 10:10 PM
I only have reconstruct.
Maybe splash arti and take construct essence?

Scrolls will suffice.

Pala-forged
02-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Scrolls will suffice.

Dumped UMD, this life has no use for it.

Maybe, uh.. I can bring a hire? Aside from that, you're on your own. ^^

TeacherSyn
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM
In addition to other's good suggestions on a better mouse, using the number pad, take a gander at my Monk guide's chapter on using a gaming keypad (https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/fundamentals/discipleship/finishing-moves/using-your-keyboard), if you have the coin to spare. I'm considering adding a gaming mouse to greatly improve things. I use CTRL-ALT for special moves mapped to the pad but I could use some more for special tasks like Abundant Step. I manually move the many, many ED abilities to those keymaps but I'm hardly as efficient as others.

EllisDee37
02-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I could use some more for special tasks like Abundant StepI mapped the "F" key (no alt/shift/ctrl, just regiular F) to a hotbar button and then put all my character's Abundant Step-like abilities there:

Monk: Abundant Step
Wizard: Draconic's fly-by attack
Cleric: Exalted's wings
Other: Rocket Boots

Having it right next to the movement keys (WASD) makes it very convenient.

jillora
02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
I like the previous suggestions, but I could never play with a keyboard and mouse, especially not on something click-heavy like a monk. I use an Xbox 360 controller. I cycle through up to 4 hotbars, but rarely set up more than 2 on a melee or 4 on a caster with enough spells. The most often used abilities are in 1-4 and 9-10 for me and 5-8 are useful, but not constant things like a damage action boost. Here is the guide I used to set mine up:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/153100-A-Guide-to-Using-a-Gamepad-w-DDO

It looks complicated, but it really isn't. Basically, to set up any new keybindings, you go into Options and Keyboard Options(I believe but I could be wrong and often am). You clear the previous binding and set up both a keyboard and controller binding(DDO allows up to set 2 inputs for the same action). This was so I can use both, but I never use the keyboard and mouse unless i'm having trouble targeting something.

What's nice is that you can experiment and go back to previous keybindings by saving the ddo.keymap in your My Document/Dungeons and Dragons Online folder into another folder. If you replace the ddo.keymap file with a previous version, it restores your keymappings. This was really helpful for me when I was playing on multiple computers and getting my keybindings set up.