PDA

View Full Version : 5 Wizard Splash - lolwut?

Nayus
01-26-2014, 02:10 PM
This is something I realized and felt like sharing: with 5 Wizard levels you gain access to Sleet Storm, it blinds all monsters in the AoE giving you massive Sneak Attack Damage while solo, it also might knockdown monsters if they roll a 1 along with a few other uses, we as rogues should be immune to slippery surfaces and the blindness doesn't affect players.

Now I know this likely won't be useful in groups, but for a "soloer" rogue it's an easy way to get an AoE "sneak nuke", boosts your defenses and is really cheap.

Plus you'll get several other incredibly useful buffs, access to EK for Spellsword and another Cleave, AC and 3% Doublestrike, access to Archmage to get Invisiblity for 1 SP (or Grease, that works on a 1). By going 6 or preferrably 7 Wiz you can also get Vampire Form and Death Aura (you have some bad self healing with Zombie + Lesser).

Thoughts?? Sounds better than splashing figher.

redspecter23
01-26-2014, 02:15 PM
This is something I realized and felt like sharing: with 5 Wizard levels you gain access to Sleet Storm, it blinds all monsters in the AoE giving you massive Sneak Attack Damage while solo, it also might knockdown monsters if they roll a 1 along with a few other uses, we as rogues should be immune to slippery surfaces and the blindness doesn't affect players.

Now I know this likely won't be useful in groups, but for a "soloer" rogue it's an easy way to get an AoE "sneak nuke", boosts your defenses and is really cheap.

Plus you'll get several other incredibly useful buffs, access to EK for Spellsword and another Cleave, AC and 3% Doublestrike, access to Archmage to get Invisiblity for 1 SP (or Grease, that works on a 1). By going 6 or preferrably 7 Wiz you can also get Vampire Form and Death Aura (you have some bad self healing with Zombie + Lesser).

Thoughts?? Sounds better than splashing figher.

If nothing else, it's at least a bit different. Don't forget about self cast displacement (1 min extended). If you've got the AP to spread around for those abilities, it's worth exploring. If you're just looking for sleet storm, isn't it scrollable?

Aerendil
01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
If you're just looking for sleet storm, isn't it scrollable?

Yes it is :) Rogues have been doing this for quite some time now. It's good fun.
It's mostly unnecessary once you get a radiance weapon, though, not to mention this was before the Bluff changes which have also made it easier to get sneak damage.

Saekee
01-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Rogues that splash lose out on their assassinate DC but for heroic leveling and TR, this is a good suggestion. On the other hand, the BAB of a wizard is low, and the rogue's is low to begin with--is it still possible to get some of the necessary feats such as IC and GTW without running into problems? I know with Tenser's, Divine Power, etc. one can have the BAB in the midst of battle; I am just thinking about leveling and qualifying for feats? I have been considering a Wiz 12/Rogue splash and Sleet storm is one of the niceties.

I have a Rogue5/ranger 14/Wiz 1 and love the wiz level--the invis also only uses 1 sp even with extend active (in my case it is only 2 min with extend due to one level of wiz). No one these days has enhancement points to spare but if one wished to use them on hit points, there are 30 from pale master (6pts) and 15 from EK (3 pts). I scroll sleet storm and find it essential--makes it really easy to solo Devil Assault EH anyway.

I suggest the Rock Boots from the challenges for slippery surface immunity if a rogue does not use the acrobat line. They are easy to acquire and their other occasional earthgrab proc allows for sneak attacks as well.

Impaqt
01-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Why would you splash 5 levels when you could just go buy some scrolls?

Annex
01-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Would not Use Magic Device and a wand serve the same purpose?

I personally use a cleric hire as a threat magnet when soloing with my thieves. It serves the same purpose and I get low cost heals in the bargain.

Saekee
01-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Why would you splash 5 levels when you could just go buy some scrolls?

For sleet storm, yes, but he is also suggesting:

I think it makes sense for a fun heroic TR but I would not go into epics with this setup.

ReaperAlexEU
01-27-2014, 10:37 PM
i guess the duration and time to cast would be better as a wiz. swapping to a scroll is always a time sink, and feels even worse when you then need to switch back to a weapon when that minimum duration on the spell is already ticking.

is it worth 5 levels? for some fun at heroics why not play? for epics, i guess EN and EH would still be viable as not everyone plays EE.

not sure on the 6 or 7 splash for the undead forms though, would be fine if they sold harm scrolls at a vendor for your burst healing (rough guess is necrotic burst just won't kick out the numbers you want).

Talon_Moonshadow
01-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Sleetstorm comes on scrolls.

I used to carry them; they are useful, but I was disappointed in the duration and the monsters didn't seem to slow down as much as I had hoped.

Plus my toon could not buff a party with FoM, so it seemed I never used them. (I seldom solo).

However, I think they changed/fixed/undid.... whatever.. the non-slowing monster thing that existed awhile back... My Druid finds Sleetstorm more useful now. Although I do still get complaints that no one can see what they are swinging at, so I still rarely use it.

But.... my first and main character is a Rgr11/Rog4/Wiz5.
I love this build.

However, I have never been able to get mine to do much DPS.

And.... just about the only buff that matters from Wiz 5 is Displacement.
There are some ways to get a few uses of Displacement on other characters without Wiz5 though.
But Wiz 5 gives you Displacement just about whenever you want it. (depending on total SP)

The EK Perma Tensers is nice, but Tensors does come on scrolls.

EK has some other cool stuff, but it is not Uber by any means.

Still.. my favorite build so far... tons of fun for the versatility.
But it is basically five levels just to get Displacement, as everything else is minor or available elsewhere.