PDA

View Full Version : Full Party Bonus

PsychoBlonde
01-24-2014, 03:29 PM
I see a lot of threads complaining that "nobody puts up LFM's for this or that any more". While I have basically zero sympathy for this kind of whining, it strikes me that it might be a good idea to at least somewhat encourage people to group up even when they don't really have to. So I propose:

"Full Party" bonus. Basically 5% extra xp for each additional non-hireling party member you have, maybe even an additional 10% bonus if you have a full group of 6 people. Now you have a real reason to pack those groups even if a couple of people are a bit sub-par.

As an added benefit, dungeon scaling would actually *make sense* with a system like this instead of being a rather perverse incentive to run with as few people as you can manage.

Of course, the extra party members would have to be inside the quest or zone to give the bonus xp.

EnjoyTheMoment
01-25-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm not very sympathetic to those carrying on about LFMs, either, because those doing that often think that the devs should satisfy them by screwing others (ie: by removing or limiting dungeon scaling to make soloing more difficult and less enjoyable).

Something along the lines you're suggesting is a good idea. I don't know what the percentage should be.

Unfortunately, anger would still be directed at those whose character dies, costing everybody on the team their 10% flawless bonus. If the flawless bonus is re-vamped, in addition to this change, then the odds of teammates getting along is likely to rise (as long as the revamp is a constructive change).

EllisDee37
01-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Devil's Advocate: That would just incentivize multiboxing.

PsychoBlonde
01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Devil's Advocate: That would just incentivize multiboxing.

I thought about that. I, personally, don't care about multiboxing, and from what I've seen the people who are inclined to multi-box already do it anyway. I could do it myself (and have, in the past, to help my housemate out on his characters--he doesn't have the time to play like I do), but I generally find it tedious.

Anyway, I agree that the so-called "death penalty" could stand to go, too.

I almost always prefer to group because its just faster to run stuff that way even if the rest of the group is only middling-competent. The situations where a full party actually slows me down are rare--even if they are annoying by virtue of messing stuff up and ignoring instructions.

I think that an XP bonus for MOAR PARTY would go some of the way to make grouping more attractive. I'm trying to think if there are (mechanical) ways to make people screwing up less annoying and more hilarious.

They should make it so that if YOU die then YOU get a (small) xp penalty but all the party members who DIDN'T die get a bonus. Until/unless they also die. With the bonuses being cumulative, so if you're the Last Man Standing the bonus is actually kind of substantial. That'd be a lot more friendly--not only would it be an incentive to group with noobs (because you'd get a consistent xp subsidy), if you lose it, that's YOUR OWN fault.

Come to think of it, that might result in some funny stuff. "Nuh-uh I'm not going to grab all the aggro! You zerg!" "No, YOU zerg!" "Make Mikey do it!" "I don't want to do it!" "SOMEBODY JUST GO!!!"

PsychoBlonde
01-25-2014, 02:52 PM
I grant you that would also (slightly) incentivize Not Healing People, but it's been my experience on a healer that this happens often enough through no effort of yours that it probably wouldn't make any difference--and there'd be no continuing incentive to Not Heal People after they died at least once. (That, and it WOULD incentivize the stinkin' healer to remember to heal themSELVES at least.)

A reshuffle of the xp bonuses--not removing bonuses just changing what gives you the bonus--could do a lot to make the grouping scene more friendly and amusing.