PDA

View Full Version : Archmage wiz. What do they bring to the table?

Pehtis
01-24-2014, 11:49 AM
I have an epic wiz pale master (lvl 23 atm) which is fun to play (and is very solo friendly). In epic elite content things get a little hairy due to high spell resistances and challenging necro/enchant dc requirements. That's when I look for no resist spells which are mostly nukes. Of course as a pm I'm not feat spec'd for nuking (although I have decent gear that helps).

I've only dabbled a little in the arch mage tree. I got the spell points, int stats, and some necro spell sla. Other than this I've looked at the Arch Mage (AM) tree and I don't quite understand what it is that an Arch Mage brings to the table.

Ignoring pale master for the moment (pretend it does not exist) and say all you had was the archmage option can someone explain to me just what makes an archmage awesome?

Are those extra critical % to their element spell massive? (or maybe do they begin to shine with epic tree help?)

Lanhelin
01-24-2014, 01:59 PM
If you focus on Enchantment and don't care about Insta Kills, AM is very good (though you can have insta-kill experiences with the evocation prismatic spells too). If Turbine ever treats Enchanters like Insta-Killers on EH and EE the same (and makes Epic Ward to not affect charm duration) it would take a bit longer to kill the mobs, but make EH/EE gameplay more variable. If you focus on Evocation, AM helps to reduce saving throws agains evo spells. If you wanna take another School you better splash your build with classes that benefit more from Illusion, Abjuration, Transmutation and so on, I guess.

So in general I'd say AM is either for pure Enchanters, who do not care about epic hard or elite content, or for those who splash, or don't want to play PM.

Seikojin
01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Pretty much what Lanhelin said. When I did archmage it was for pure enchantment power. Thatw as before the new enhancements. Now I could see an archmage doing good and liching.

Pehtis
01-24-2014, 07:20 PM
My PM currently does very decent cc on most content (except for EE). I must admit it never even occurred to me to consider AM as pure enchanters. Surely an appropriately spec'd spellsinger bard is superior enchanter.

I was kind of hoping that the AM tree would greatly assist AM shine as evo nukers (outside of sorc's of course) particularly for epics. It's a pity as I was considering toying with a pure AM toon just for something different.

Ancient
01-24-2014, 07:50 PM
I was kind of hoping that the AM tree would greatly assist AM shine as evo nukers (outside of sorc's of course) particularly for epics. It's a pity as I was considering toying with a pure AM toon just for something different.

GrandMaster shiradi in my sig. Most powerful toon I've ever made. PM for defense/healing, AM for pew pew offense.

Pehtis
01-25-2014, 12:10 PM
GrandMaster shiradi in my sig. Most powerful toon I've ever made. PM for defense/healing, AM for pew pew offense.

Thanks for the sig link. Yes this is what I was interested in. Definitely food for thought.

Havok.cry
01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
What Ancient said, but for the TL;DR version: Magic Missile and Chain Missile SLAs with shriadri is the biggest value Archmage has.

Vellrad
01-25-2014, 12:32 PM
The thing is, you're no longer PM OR AM. You're now both.
You need to take enhancements from 2 or 3 trees for your character.

Ancient
01-25-2014, 12:48 PM
What Ancient said, but for the TL;DR version: Magic Missile and Chain Missile SLAs with shriadri is the biggest value Archmage has.

Arcane supremacy is VERY under-rated.