PDA

View Full Version : general advice on short sword monk needed

C-Shell
01-20-2014, 09:54 PM
hey guys. im a short sword guy atm and im not sure what stance i should run it in. seems like every monk nowadays is in earth because of the much needed prr for epics. but if youre a short sword ninja, your damage is not very good if you cant make use of sneak attack damage i think and you cant do sneak attack if your threat is too high in earth stance. so do you think a shortsword monk should maybe go with another stance here to make use of sneak attack all the time or is there anything else that could boost my dps to be reasonable?

Trillea
01-20-2014, 11:10 PM
hey guys. im a short sword guy atm and im not sure what stance i should run it in. seems like every monk nowadays is in earth because of the much needed prr for epics. but if youre a short sword ninja, your damage is not very good if you cant make use of sneak attack damage i think and you cant do sneak attack if your threat is too high in earth stance. so do you think a shortsword monk should maybe go with another stance here to make use of sneak attack all the time or is there anything else that could boost my dps to be reasonable?

I would get some Improved Deception items/radiance shortswords from Shroud and run in earth. Best of both worlds.

thegreatneil
01-21-2014, 04:52 AM
Unbalancing Strike: Water Ki Melee Attack: You have learned several joint strikes. You can attack these weak points of your opponent, throwing them off balance for a short period of time. This reduces their armor class by 2, applies a -10 penalty to their Balance skill, and renders them vulnerable to sneak attacks. A successful Reflex save negates this effect (DC 10 + Half Monk Level + Wisdom modifier + Trip modifiers). The target receives periodic saves to attempt to break free of this effect.

With this you can get sneak attack on just about anything you can sneak attack, Even named mobs.
This attack will also spin mobs, such as animation of Imp deception.
It says water Ki melee attack, but this doesn't mean you have to be in water stance, you can use it in any.

omeganeg1
01-21-2014, 08:17 AM
I would get some Improved Deception items/radiance shortswords from Shroud and run in earth. Best of both worlds.

This. Check out Rebellion (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Rebellion).

FuzzyDuck81
01-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Golden guile from lords of dust is a great bet for improved deception - you don't even need the epic version, the quest is free, not too difficult, run frequently & the drop rate is good.

Scrag
01-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Dumb question: What level are you?

C-Shell
01-21-2014, 09:20 AM
im at 25. so going back to shroud weapons wouldnt be so good for me i guess. i got a celestia and the rebellion offhand atm. thanks for the tip with unbalancing strike. but really annoying that it needs trip modifiers. so now i need a vertigo item and a shattering item -.-

Scrag
01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
im at 25. so going back to shroud weapons wouldnt be so good for me i guess. i got a celestia and the rebellion offhand atm. thanks for the tip with unbalancing strike. but really annoying that it needs trip modifiers. so now i need a vertigo item and a shattering item -.-

Star of days are easy to farm for; you could farm two or three up to get a decent match for your celestia for general undead combat. They aren't terribad for a 25. Are you a drow by any chance?

As for being in gm earth stance, I would only recommend it if a. your con sucks, and b. you arent getting tons of +critness from other places, such as racial or stackable +crit (expanded range, not keen weapons). If you have nothing that pushes your double strike and melee speed up and have reasonable con, gm wind stance will generate a boat load of attacks since short swords are considered ki weapons for you, and you get away with dealing dps via more attacks rather than really big ones.

Believe it or not, gm water stance might be a good choice as well. In sneak with it active, you can generate 4 ki at a time, plus ki from attacks. 1 from contemplation, 1 from sneak, 1 from gm of water, 1 from just because. You lose one of those points quickly, so generally it is just a 3 regen all the time (I don't notice, I usually just see 3 a pop because I generate so much ki). The whole point to this is to string a ton of ki attacks along like iron fist, reed (since you probably have massive dex for dex to dam), jade or dismissing strike.

I would definitely forgo strength for wis/dex entirely on such a build. I had one that was entirely wis/dex/con, and it did much pillaging. However, tbh, I have way more fun with my shurimonk. :D

C-Shell
01-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Star of days are easy to farm for; you could farm two or three up to get a decent match for your celestia for general undead combat. They aren't terribad for a 25. Are you a drow by any chance?

As for being in gm earth stance, I would only recommend it if a. your con sucks, and b. you arent getting tons of +critness from other places, such as racial or stackable +crit (expanded range, not keen weapons). If you have nothing that pushes your double strike and melee speed up and have reasonable con, gm wind stance will generate a boat load of attacks since short swords are considered ki weapons for you, and you get away with dealing dps via more attacks rather than really big ones.

Believe it or not, gm water stance might be a good choice as well. In sneak with it active, you can generate 4 ki at a time, plus ki from attacks. 1 from contemplation, 1 from sneak, 1 from gm of water, 1 from just because. You lose one of those points quickly, so generally it is just a 3 regen all the time (I don't notice, I usually just see 3 a pop because I generate so much ki). The whole point to this is to string a ton of ki attacks along like iron fist, reed (since you probably have massive dex for dex to dam), jade or dismissing strike.

I would definitely forgo strength for wis/dex entirely on such a build. I had one that was entirely wis/dex/con, and it did much pillaging. However, tbh, I have way more fun with my shurimonk. :D

thanks so much for your insight. what about fire stance? grandmaster of flowers would give +1 dmg die and it generates a lot ki as well. if i get 15% attack speed from an item, it would be 1w from fire +ki vs 13% double strike from gm wind. no idea which one is better. but then again. gm wind frees up slot for attack speed and movement speed.

Scrag
01-21-2014, 12:53 PM
what about fire stance?

IMO, firestance is garbage. Personal opinion only, someone might have a good use for it that I don't know or understand. I simply switch between earth/water/wind depending on circumstance. And yes, wind stance does free up attack speed equipment, but don't forget that it is only active when wind is active, and not if you are juggling forms for whatever reason. However, you already puke out tons of attacks already, so with good, balanced equipment, you may not miss the few extra attacks you might be getting. YMMV.

FuzzyDuck81
01-22-2014, 03:10 AM
IMO, firestance is garbage. Personal opinion only, someone might have a good use for it that I don't know or understand. I simply switch between earth/water/wind depending on circumstance. And yes, wind stance does free up attack speed equipment, but don't forget that it is only active when wind is active, and not if you are juggling forms for whatever reason. However, you already puke out tons of attacks already, so with good, balanced equipment, you may not miss the few extra attacks you might be getting. YMMV.

It's not all that great for shortsword monks, agreed... unless you need to get Ki in a hurry, so switch, build up & then switch back again. It's good for shintao types with meditation of war though, as you'll get +2 to tactical feat DCs (which will also boost QP), compensating for the wisdom loss while letting you keep plenty of ki to power all your abilities pretty much constantly.

TeacherSyn
01-22-2014, 12:21 PM
It's not all that great for shortsword monks, agreed... unless you need to get Ki in a hurry, so switch, build up & then switch back again. It's good for shintao types with meditation of war though, as you'll get +2 to tactical feat DCs (which will also boost QP), compensating for the wisdom loss while letting you keep plenty of ki to power all your abilities pretty much constantly.

Agreed. Remember that Ninjas with the second core gets DEX to damage and attack. While you need some STR for carrying, some levers, it is DEX, CON and WIS that need love on a shortsword build. The piercing damage also mates with Ninja Poison, so remember that killing something is more than just the immediate weapon damage. Ninja Poison DOTs are very strong against most bosses, including red names.

FuzzyDuck81
01-23-2014, 02:50 AM
Agreed. Remember that Ninjas with the second core gets DEX to damage and attack. While you need some STR for carrying, some levers, it is DEX, CON and WIS that need love on a shortsword build. The piercing damage also mates with Ninja Poison, so remember that killing something is more than just the immediate weapon damage. Ninja Poison DOTs are very strong against most bosses, including red names.

And with the new poison suffix on weapons, that can be a potent damage option too since the ninja poison stacks also debuff their resistance to poison! :)

TeacherSyn
01-24-2014, 02:13 PM
And with the new poison suffix on weapons, that can be a potent damage option too since the ninja poison stacks also debuff their resistance to poison! :)

The idea of using Envenomed Blades for just about everything except devils is quite inviting, you think? :)

In "Mired With Kobolds" I've taken on Sinvala the black dragon and got her poison DOTs to 80-90. On Keras in a Heroic Elite "Lords of Dust", he became remarkably ****ed at my Shuricannon b-slapping him with DOTs of 100.