PDA

View Full Version : Spell DC stacking, augments, and raid loot.

SirValentine
01-20-2014, 10:49 AM
In the old(ish) days, you could choose between a dedicated gear slot for +3 DC to a chosen school, or a slightly smaller bonus of +2, to ALL schools, with Spell Focus Mastery on raid loot or top-end challenge gear. Or both, burning two gear slots to max your chosen school while not completely dumping others. Though you could get a school-specific +1 or +2 on an augment, it wasn't too often an awesome choice, but maybe had some niche use shoring up a school without taking a gear slot.

Then, top +DC items suddenly increased from +3 to +5. Now, that +2, instead of being a trade-off between of a bit of DC, was WAY behind. BUT WAIT! No, it wasn't behind, since it now stacked! So top-end raid gear was still useful. But, non-stacking, augments became relatively useless.

Then...for no reason I can understand, the devs nerfed the Spell Focus (formerly "Mastery", now renamed to just Spell Focus) items back to worthlessness by removing the stacking, leaving them and augments in the same worthless spot. This also reduced maximum possible DC.

THEN, even more baffling in the wake of the previous change, the devs decided to make AUGMENTS actually worthwhile, by making them stack. And re-raised maximum possible DC. So now augments are useful, but rare named items are useless.

If it's OK for augments to stack, why isn't it OK for raid loot items (including from your highest-level raid) and other rare named items to stack, too? And I don't mean stack with each other; I mean for either to stack with the basic school-specific +DC items.

SUGGESTION: Make all generic "Spell Focus" items (the ones formerly called "Spell Focus Mastery") grant the same kind of bonus as the recently-changed Spell Focus Yellow Augments.

This will make all types of DC-improving gear actually have a useful role again. And won't inflate maximum DCs any more, because you already raised them with the recent change to Yellow augments.

kpak01
01-21-2014, 06:02 PM
/signed

slarden
01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
If I am reading this correctly generic spell focus items would stack with specific items like necromancy focus, but wouldn't stack with the augments.

If so /signed. You aren't actually increasing DC, just giving an option between generic spell focus and the augment. I like it.

SirValentine
01-24-2014, 08:04 PM
If I am reading this correctly generic spell focus items would stack with specific items like necromancy focus, but wouldn't stack with the augments.

If so /signed. You aren't actually increasing DC, just giving an option between generic spell focus and the augment. I like it.

Correct, that's what I'm suggesting.

Wipey
01-25-2014, 02:18 AM
AKA Wearing a Tablecloth or challenge cloak instead of slotting 2 or 3 yellow slots with +2 augments from Gianthold or store ( which is why it's never gonna happen ).

Iriale
01-25-2014, 06:11 AM
/signed

Spell mastery is useless now.

taurean430
01-25-2014, 06:45 AM
http://www.frenchmortgagexpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/5068signing_a_contract.jpg

/signed!

dlovcik
01-29-2014, 05:46 AM
/signed

Zzevel
01-29-2014, 07:58 AM
/signed

I'ts about time to make raid loot viable.... again

Munkenmo
01-29-2014, 07:59 AM
I dont care if spell mastery stacks with yellow augments or if it gets changed to the same type.

But spell mastery should definately stack with standard school focus items.

Imo, all 3 should stack.

SirValentine
01-29-2014, 08:03 AM
I dont care if spell mastery stacks with yellow augments or if it gets changed to the same type.

But spell mastery should definately stack with standard school focus items.

Imo, all 3 should stack.

Though I wouldn't object to all 3 stacking, that's probably asking too much, since they, not too long ago, went out of their way to nerf the stacking. Which is why making the augments stack again, right after nerfing the Mastery item stacking, seemed so bizarre to me.

Pilgrim1
01-29-2014, 11:45 AM
This really needs to happen.

There is a secondary issue with spell DC's. That is your secondary focus can and will lag much farther behind today then it did in the past. Between the 3 spell focus feats you can get, the 3-5 destiny boosting abilities and the potential +5 caster sticks your looking at a huge difference. Furthermore many classes have enhancements that forces them to chose to improve one school or another.

This all compounds to create a gulf between DC of schools to something like 4-9 point DC drop. The drawback of this is that all thoes nifty spells you used in heroic? well now there useless. What divine do you see using an enchantment spell, or a wizard using a conjuration spell, or a druid with there handful of non-evocation spells.

SirValentine
02-02-2014, 08:43 AM
There is a secondary issue with spell DC's. That is your secondary focus can and will lag much farther behind today then it did in the past. Between the 3 spell focus feats you can get, the 3-5 destiny boosting abilities and the potential +5 caster sticks your looking at a huge difference. Furthermore many classes have enhancements that forces them to chose to improve one school or another.

This all compounds to create a gulf between DC of schools to something like 4-9 point DC drop. The drawback of this is that all thoes nifty spells you used in heroic? well now there useless. What divine do you see using an enchantment spell, or a wizard using a conjuration spell, or a druid with there handful of non-evocation spells.

Very true. Not sure how to address that, though.