PDA

View Full Version : Assassin gear ?

bruener
01-20-2014, 07:10 AM
I have a second life pure assassin currently at lvl 21. I'm happy with the build itself but have a couple questions about gear. Mainly armor and weapons. I currently use the parasitic breastplate with the displacement upgrade and a pair of sacrificial daggers. Should I be looking towards Agony or Balizarde in the near future or grinding out epic midnight? i do have improved crit pierce and i know midnight is a slashing weapon. what armor would be better? any other item ideas would be appreciated. I havent taken this toon into any EE content yet so i would need gear advice leading up to EE content.

much appreciated

CThruTheEgo
01-20-2014, 07:52 AM
I have a second life pure assassin currently at lvl 21. I'm happy with the build itself but have a couple questions about gear. Mainly armor and weapons. I currently use the parasitic breastplate with the displacement upgrade and a pair of sacrificial daggers. Should I be looking towards Agony or Balizarde in the near future or grinding out epic midnight? i do have improved crit pierce and i know midnight is a slashing weapon. what armor would be better? any other item ideas would be appreciated. I havent taken this toon into any EE content yet so i would need gear advice leading up to EE content.

much appreciated

The black dragon armor is the best armor for an assassin imo, and is relatively easy to acquire. And of course a black helm to go with it for the set bonus.

Agony and epic midnight greetings are the ideal weapon set for an assassin. Agony is better dps for an assassin with knife specialization, and it has keen on it so you could just go imp crit slash for the EMG. You have to consider situational weapon swaps, however, because you will want imp crit for those. So if you go imp crit slash, you're limited to kukris. I don't know about your server but on Sarlona the kukri selection on the AH is very limited, so that might be problematic. You could also just stick with imp crit pierce and forget about having a larger crit range on EMG. I went with both imp crit pierce and slash for the versatility and to maximize dps.

As far as other gear, take a look at the assassin in my sig for a full gear set. It is for an EE int based assassin, so it may or may not fit your build and goals, but it should at least give you some things to consider. You don't have to go for the top tier items either. EN versions will work just fine as you work your way towards better gear. Without knowing anything about your build it's hard to give more specific suggestions.

Hope that helps.

omeganeg1
01-20-2014, 07:59 AM

much appreciated

The flawless black set is really nice on a rogue. On my dex/int assassin I was using only daggers and kukris and dropped weapon finesse which allowed me to pick up IC: slash and pierce. I found myself using 2x eMGs on trash because of the extra assassinate, improved paralyzing and improved deception. I didn't have a set of agonies at the time, so I can't comment on their effectiveness. A lot depends on if you are str or dex based. If dex you might want to keep finesse, ignore eMGs and stick with piercing weapons.

Bolo_Grubb
01-20-2014, 09:58 AM
On my Assassin from Level 23 on I used a pair of Agony's (thank you Raider reward box) or an Agony and Epic midnight greetings for almost everything. Before level 23 I used a Blade of the high Priestess and an EMG. Or a Sacrificial dagger and a EMG. Level drains and improved Paralyze can be great.

I also wear the Black Dragon armor paired with a Black dragon helm.

bruener
01-20-2014, 12:53 PM
The black dragon armor is the best armor for an assassin imo, and is relatively easy to acquire. And of course a black helm to go with it for the set bonus.

Agony and epic midnight greetings are the ideal weapon set for an assassin. Agony is better dps for an assassin with knife specialization, and it has keen on it so you could just go imp crit slash for the EMG. You have to consider situational weapon swaps, however, because you will want imp crit for those. So if you go imp crit slash, you're limited to kukris. I don't know about your server but on Sarlona the kukri selection on the AH is very limited, so that might be problematic. You could also just stick with imp crit pierce and forget about having a larger crit range on EMG. I went with both imp crit pierce and slash for the versatility and to maximize dps.

As far as other gear, take a look at the assassin in my sig for a full gear set. It is for an EE int based assassin, so it may or may not fit your build and goals, but it should at least give you some things to consider. You don't have to go for the top tier items either. EN versions will work just fine as you work your way towards better gear. Without knowing anything about your build it's hard to give more specific suggestions.

Hope that helps.

yeah that helps. as far as my build its int/dex build with focus on assassinate. it seems like the black dragon helm/armor is something to work towards. i have a lot of situational weapon swaps from my previous life. i will check out the rogue in your sig for more ideas.

thx to all for the ideas

Arianka
01-20-2014, 01:50 PM
evry one knows radiance 2 kukri pared with a EMG is the best combo for trash....not even close. radiance 2 kukri with such a hi crit range means LOTS of blind mobs which meens HIGH sneak attck damage! EMG for the +2 to assasinate and the +10 to hit and damage,disintigration and improved paralyzation.

PsychoJester
01-20-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm using an almost lv28 pure rogue halfing assassin.
Dex based, dunno if interesting, and I don't love swapping items, so i prefer a static config.
I only swap trinkets and weapons.

armor: Flawless Black Dragonhide Armor [heavy fortification]
head: Helm of the Black Dragon EH (ins dex +3) [armored agility +2, globe of true imperial blood]
trinket: planar focus of subterfuge (ins int +3) / epic treasure hunter's spyglass
cloak: adamantine cloak of the wolf
belt: health +9 - false life +45hp
ring: ring of shadows
gloves: gloves of forgotten craft EH
main weapons: Agony & eMidnight Greetings
alternative weapons: celestias for DR breaking, sacrificial daggers (con & dex) for EE trashes, dual smiting, dual disrupt.

the rest of the equip is a "working in progress", but include Deadly, Clever, Resistance, Wizardry IX.

CThruTheEgo
01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
evry one knows radiance 2 kukri pared with a EMG is the best combo for trash....not even close. radiance 2 kukri with such a hi crit range means LOTS of blind mobs which meens HIGH sneak attck damage! EMG for the +2 to assasinate and the +10 to hit and damage,disintigration and improved paralyzation.

I'd have to disagree with this. This was true before Agony came along but not anymore. First of all, Agony is much higher dps than greensteel. Second, with imp deception on Agony, EMG, and an item (they each have a chance to proc), it procs almost constantly so you don't need to blind a mob to get sneak attacks. An added benefit of deception is that you don't have to chase blind mobs all over the place. And whereas blindness gives mobs a 50% chance to miss you, deception is 100% since they turn around and stop attacking you altogether.

Radiance is a useful effect if you have several mobs after you at once because you can blind them and just let them run around randomly instead of coming after you. In this situation, its benefit is mostly defensive since it helps to turn their attention elsewhere. I have dual rad2's and that is the only time I use them. Against single targets, however, Agony + EMG and an improved deception item are a much better choice.

Satyriasys
01-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Ring of the Runaway (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ring_of_the_Runaway)

Krelar
01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Ring of the Runaway (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ring_of_the_Runaway)

Since the OP is level 21 I think it's a bit late to choose shadar-kai for a race. :D

Satyriasys
01-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Since the OP is level 21 I think it's a bit late to choose shadar-kai for a race. :D

He could tr right now

omeganeg1
01-21-2014, 04:37 AM
I'd have to disagree with this. This was true before Agony came along but not anymore. First of all, Agony is much higher dps than greensteel. Second, with imp deception on Agony, EMG, and an item (they each have a chance to proc), it procs almost constantly so you don't need to blind a mob to get sneak attacks. An added benefit of deception is that you don't have to chase blind mobs all over the place. And whereas blindness gives mobs a 50% chance to miss you, deception is 100% since they turn around and stop attacking you altogether.

Radiance is a useful effect if you have several mobs after you at once because you can blind them and just let them run around randomly instead of coming after you. In this situation, its benefit is mostly defensive since it helps to turn their attention elsewhere. I have dual rad2's and that is the only time I use them. Against single targets, however, Agony + EMG and an improved deception item are a much better choice.

I agree on the deception. I used to run a radiance rapier until I got 2 eMGs and enjoyed deception more. My only problem with deception is that it turns the mob around when it procs. When you are running with someone that can hold agro you need to be careful where you, and the other melees, are positioned. If you are standing on the other side of a mob from a tank and a deception procs during the mob's attack, the attack will resolve while the mob is turned around and facing you. Normally standing to the side of a mob isn't a big deal unless its something that is cleave happy. Its usually appreciated to let the party know that this might occur and they should adjust their positioning.

CThruTheEgo
01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I agree on the deception. I used to run a radiance rapier until I got 2 eMGs and enjoyed deception more. My only problem with deception is that it turns the mob around when it procs. When you are running with someone that can hold agro you need to be careful where you, and the other melees, are positioned. If you are standing on the other side of a mob from a tank and a deception procs during the mob's attack, the attack will resolve while the mob is turned around and facing you. Normally standing to the side of a mob isn't a big deal unless its something that is cleave happy. Its usually appreciated to let the party know that this might occur and they should adjust their positioning.

This is true and worth pointing out. Deception can pose a risk to other group members but, as you mentioned, is also easily managed by considering your own positioning as well as communicating with the group. Comparing this problem with radiance, however, I get the sense that most people would rather deal with this than chasing around blind mobs.

DareDelvis
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I have enough scales for armor on my pure assassin that has been wearing Hide of Goristro with tendon slice (which is quite nice).
I am trying to decide between Black Dragonhide light armor vs. robe. It seems the robes would offer the chance to have higher dodge vs. the prr of the light armor?
Thoughts?

Satyriasys
01-21-2014, 12:25 PM
I have enough scales for armor on my pure assassin that has been wearing Hide of Goristro with tendon slice (which is quite nice).
I am trying to decide between Black Dragonhide light armor vs. robe. It seems the robes would offer the chance to have higher dodge vs. the prr of the light armor?
Thoughts?

I believe you would be able to reach 25% dodge in Dragonhide if you have the Shadowdancer ability Lithe.

Bolo_Grubb
01-21-2014, 12:45 PM
When in Shadow dancer I get to 27% dodge in light Black Dragon scale.

CThruTheEgo
01-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Thoughts?

The base max dex bonus on the light armor is 19. Lithe can add up to 6 more which makes it 25. I prefer to slot the +2 max dex bonus in the armor's blue slot and then take 2 ranks in lithe (giving you another +4 max dex bonus) to save ED points. That still puts the max dex bonus on light armor at 25.

Pure assassins don't have the potential for a lot of PRR, which is another factor in favor of the light armor.

DareDelvis
01-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks all.
I guess I was looking at the max of 14% unadjusted in the Goristro and ASS-umed it was the same and like a tool never realized max dex = max dodge.

orobold
01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
my 2 cents...for the goggles id suggest intrincated field optics with +3 int (and two slots) wich allows u to use the +3 con planar and get dmg and attack bonus plus 15prr. For the SA dmg id say Avithoul seal wich has a total of 8 attack and 13 dmg, another source of imp deception and 7/2 wis dex injust 1 slot. For the other ring, nothing better for an assassin than a ring of shadows even on his eh version: its a nice source of +20 sneak, dmg avoidance and a yellow slot. Also mention the benefits of carry a Balizarde for certain situations like the swim in the crucible where extra saves can be handy

Shadow_Jumper
01-29-2014, 06:24 PM
for the goggles id suggest intrincated field optics with +3 int (and two slots) wich allows u to use the +3 con planar and get dmg and attack bonus plus 15prr

Yes, this is probably the best goggle/trinket set, and the one I have planned for my rogue, though I will be using the subterfuge for the dodge, you're choice though, both are ideal

For the SA dmg id say Avithoul seal wich has a total of 8 attack and 13 dmg, another source of imp deception and 7/2 wis dex injust 1 slot. For the other ring, nothing better for an assassin than a ring of shadows even on his eh version: its a nice source of +20 sneak, dmg avoidance and a yellow slot.

Hit and miss, Seal of Avithoul is defininetly an item for consideration, I would also suggest Ring of Deciete, Gaurdians Ring, or a random generated Deadly/Resistance ring. Currently I use the Ring of Deciet/Rand gen 9 Deadly/10 Resistance. I would however avoid the Ring of Shadows, its a really nice item, however its not a good item for a rogue, as the incorpreality doesn't stack with the SD Destiny Shadow Form, and that kinda kills it.

orobold
01-30-2014, 01:59 PM
I would however avoid the Ring of Shadows, its a really nice item, however its not a good item for a rogue, as the incorpreality doesn't stack with the SD Destiny Shadow Form, and that kinda kills it.

The only significative benefit shadowform offers is the incorp. and that at high price in terms of ed points. In my assassin I can't afford shadow manipulation and up to tier 5 int (wich is a must o my goal of 70 assassination dc) and shadowform, wich is easily fixed if u happen to have an ee ring of shadow. Anyway as I said, even the eh version seems nice to me since u will need hide and move silently as high as possible for your assassination attempts, specially if soloing. Add to that 20% concealment, 10% incorp and a yellow slot. The ring of deceit is a nice swap item for the social skills but the 8 cha is easily slotted anywhere else and you already have improved deception from avithoul seal.

Mellkor
02-11-2014, 04:13 PM
If your int is high enough (say 60+) the +2 you get from EMG is not that critical for most content. I favor Balizarde + Agony most of the time and replace Agony with the EMG when my Assasinate DC is challenged (usually only on certain mobs in EE content only OR when CC is more important than DPS). Dual Celestias takes care of almost all other weapon needs. The only other weapons I use other than the 4 already mentioned are a pair of portal beaters and a pair of elemental beaters.

As for equipment, as others have said, Epic Black Dragon Armour is best in slot, IMO. Link in my sig for the rest of my gear-set. Most experienced assassin players use the same gear-set I use more or less. Of course there are arguable differences amongst us. :)

-JR