PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Monk or TWF Monk

PnP2DDO
01-18-2014, 11:30 PM
What are the Pros and Cons of each.

Lonnbeimnech
01-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Unarmed increases it's base damage every few levels of monk, so it does more damage.

Unarmed attacks at a faster rate than twf. That means it dose more damage and also higher ki generation, which also means more damage.

The main advantage is stunning fist, which stuns one mob every 6 seconds and causes them to take extra damage, which means more damage...

Also dead mobs don't hit back, so you take less damage too.

For twf, you pretty much have to be ninja spy and have this ability,
Ninja Master: You gain +2 Dexterity. While you are centered, you gain a +1 Competence bonus to the Critical Threat Range with Short Swords and a +2 Competence bonus to the Critical Threat Range with Kamas and Shuriken.

Which you can't get until level 20. And even then, you won't do as much damage.

Hutoth
01-19-2014, 05:25 AM
also the twf feats apply to unarmed for the offhand proc rate, so getting all twf feats = essential for either option.

Uska
01-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Unarmed but take the twf feats or you will be nerfing yourself

Rhysem
01-19-2014, 01:51 PM
I had a really nice set of shortswords I wanted to use, so I figured I'd ninja spy... and back to wraps, because their DPS just isn't up to snuff. Nice in theory, weak in practice.

Todkaninchen
01-19-2014, 04:12 PM
The other difference is crit's. With certain weapons--with a wider crit range--you can get higher crit chances and often higher multipliers with select weapons. DR-breaking--depending on your choice of tree you focus in and wraps--can be easier on a 2WF than an unarmed.

The good thing--other than picking up improved critical: piercing or slashing vs. bludgeoning--is you can actually switch out as needed. So, other than your choice of improved critical, build for unarmed and you can still use 2WF with kama or shortsword as well.

Personally, my big monk is a ninja spy (normally, flipped to henshin to try and level legendary dreadnought from 3 to cap) and I usually run unarmed. For some bosses though, I often switch to either short swords (for vorpal/dex to damage, special effects like armor piercing, etc.) or kama (the same, plus DR breaking with http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Forester's_Brush_Hook_(Level_24) ) on bosses where stunning doesn't work, QP doesn't work, and they have enough DR to otherwise reduce my effectiveness. I can still spam Fists of Iron and cleaves with weapons, just not stunning fist.

Down low, I used a pair of "old style" (ML6, no slot, no binding) Zephyrs (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Zephyr) from level 6 to about when enemies started lasting long enough to actually generally stun and have enough left to regen the ki to stun the next target (in wind stance). Once I started mainly stunning, I switched out to Stonedust Wraps for a long time (except as I mentioned above), then Grave Wrappings, etc.