PDA

View Full Version : Purchased Past Life Feats

Phaeton_Seraph
01-18-2014, 02:47 AM
Most people I've spoken to don't invest in the purchased Past Life feats. They usually don't think it's worth investing a feat in them.

So far, I'd have to say I agree.

I think it would be more interesting, and useful, if you were to change the clickies.

e.g.
- Druids and Flame Blades. If they had been elemental blades, with a choice of element, that would be cool. But they aren't and it's not. Really, not worth the investment at most levels.
- Artificers and Enchant Armor/Weapons. By the time we can invest in the Student of Artifice feat, those clickies aren't very good, not awful, but not hot.

Frankly, none of the past life clickies are useful enough to use at epic levels. Or, at least, I've never played with anyone who thought so.

So... Why not give us a choice? Have a branch that expands for the specific past life (similar to Weapon or Skill Focus), and allows us to choose from a list of spells, active enhancements, or tactical feats/abilities.

Munkenmo
01-18-2014, 03:21 AM
Theyre heroic past life feats, not epic ones. Some make quite a big difference in heroic levels. Theres more to the purchased past lives than the clicky anyway, some are good for the clicky, some are good for the passive.

Ive also gotten great mileage out of flameblades in pre blade barrier levels on multiple fvs and cleric lives.

The wiz past life is still picked up by many people for the passive and/or active

The rogue clicky scales with levels, its quite a lot of damage now at 28 (3 mins of +13sneak attackmdamage per rest)

There was a time when fighter and barb pastlives made the world of difference to ELOB tanks.

Theyre not all as good as they once were, but alot of feats have fallen behind as power creep has set in.

Phaeton_Seraph
01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Of course there's more to than than the clickies, but the clickies happen to be the most useless part. How many classes are there? And you're defending 3 of them.

Flameblades really aren't that good, forget how most things are immune to them, consider if you swap items in your hands to hold a casting implement or scroll or wand. Recasting your flameblade every couple of minutes not very productive. It might be different if they persisted like the flame arrows spell...

toaftoaf
01-18-2014, 02:19 PM
fighter clickies fun on a wizzy life

Munkenmo
01-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Of course there's more to than than the clickies, but the clickies happen to be the most useless part. How many classes are there? And you're defending 3 of them.

Flameblades really aren't that good, forget how most things are immune to them, consider if you swap items in your hands to hold a casting implement or scroll or wand. Recasting your flameblade every couple of minutes not very productive. It might be different if they persisted like the flame arrows spell...

There's 12 classes:

I remember a time when people used to consider getting extend to boost the paladin past life clicky.

The monk evasion used to be amazing damage mitigation, even mrcow could justify picking it up.

Im not sure why your so biased against flameblades, but from levels 3-11 they've been really good for me. There was a bit of a learning curve to get used to their limited uses, but its a very good past life clicky.

Changes id settle for :
see things like the barb rage increased to 3mins per rest like the rogue and fighter clickies.
Caster clickies changed to one use per character level.

Phaeton_Seraph
01-19-2014, 02:04 AM
There's 12 classes:

I remember a time when people used to consider getting extend to boost the paladin past life clicky.

The monk evasion used to be amazing damage mitigation, even mrcow could justify picking it up.

Im not sure why your so biased against flameblades, but from levels 3-11 they've been really good for me. There was a bit of a learning curve to get used to their limited uses, but its a very good past life clicky.

Changes id settle for :
see things like the barb rage increased to 3mins per rest like the rogue and fighter clickies.
Caster clickies changed to one use per character level.

You're not even directly addressing my idea. I really think that choosing your own tactical ability or first level spell from the past life class would be much more fun, and useful for character building.

I'm not interested in hearing about "the good old days." They've past.
What you'd settle for is fine, for you. We get used to settling here, don't we? I'd rather suggest something that is much more useful to a lot more people.
As I said, most people I talk to have a sneering sound in their voice when they say they wouldn't bother with the purchasable past life feat.

Flameblades were an example, and are a bit off-topic, so I'll only go into it once more:
I once dumped Str for Wis thinking I'd be using Flameblades. Later, I started hitting mobs that took 0 damage from the blades. That's my biggest source of hatred for them.
Like I said, elemental blades would be cool, flameblades are not. "Getting over their limited uses..." The easiest way to do that is to ditch them for real weapons.

The past life clicky gives you a limited number of clicks, and if you use a lot of scrolls and different casting implements, you can go through your clickies pretty fast. I know this from experience. If the blades persisted like the Flame Arrow spell stuff does, it would be useful.

mobrien316
01-19-2014, 05:59 AM
I'd like to see the Completionist feat enhanced as well. Or, even better, reclassify as a passive past life feat.

The way it is now, I just make my first completionist and I didn't even consider actually taking the feat because it isn't as useful as any of other feats I want/need for my build.

jskinner937
01-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Theyre heroic past life feats, not epic ones. Some make quite a big difference in heroic levels. Theres more to the purchased past lives than the clicky anyway, some are good for the clicky, some are good for the passive.

Ive also gotten great mileage out of flameblades in pre blade barrier levels on multiple fvs and cleric lives.

The wiz past life is still picked up by many people for the passive and/or active

The rogue clicky scales with levels, its quite a lot of damage now at 28 (3 mins of +13sneak attackmdamage per rest)

There was a time when fighter and barb pastlives made the world of difference to ELOB tanks.

Theyre not all as good as they once were, but alot of feats have fallen behind as power creep has set in.

Lets be real...few of them make any difference at all even in heroics save...

Wizzy PL and maybe monk PL. Sorc PL no longer useful for most since the change to Mental Toughness and the fact that savants no longer require it instead of Evoc. I think maybe AA without a bluebar might need it still although. Cannot find a use for any of the others.

Munkenmo
01-19-2014, 06:05 AM
I'd like to see the Completionist feat enhanced as well. Or, even better, reclassify as a passive past life feat.

The way it is now, I just make my first completionist and I didn't even consider actually taking the feat because it isn't as useful as any of other feats I want/need for my build.

Completionist is a passsive feat.

If you mean it should be autogranted, I do agree completely.

Silverleafeon
01-19-2014, 06:55 AM
Completionist is a passsive feat.

If you mean it should be autogranted, I do agree completely.

+1