PDA

View Full Version : Group of people starting up, where do we begin our adventures.

mgereta
01-17-2014, 02:05 PM
I have played a little bit of ddo in the past, but never got too engaged in it due to not having irl people to play with. Now that i do, what kind of classes would a group of 3-5 people be suited for?

Good starter quest areas, etc. The noobie basis questions.

It is assumed that all of us will be subscribing so no limitations on that.

MuleAxe
01-17-2014, 02:12 PM
I have played a little bit of ddo in the past, but never got too engaged in it due to not having irl people to play with. Now that i do, what kind of classes would a group of 3-5 people be suited for?

If you've ever played PnP, (even if you haven't) think about a well balanced party - One that provides all the capabilities a group would need to successfully navigate a dungeon. Especially for newer folks, I'd suggest a healing class, trapping capabilities, arcane, Ranged, and a good beater (Barb or Fighter type). You should be able to take on any of the lower level content. Not multi-classing at this point will help you get the mechanics of working as a group down; you can always experiment later on.

PsychoBlonde
01-17-2014, 02:36 PM

I'd advise running Korthos to start, since, you know, you start there and all. From there it's usually best to do all the Harbor quests to get yourselves up to level 3/4. From there, you can really go pretty much anywhere.

Chain quests tend to be harder than stand-alone quests, especially the chains where the levels inflate as you go (tangleroot, STK).

As for your group--make SURE you have a trapper (rogue or artificer) who is willing to INVEST in trap skills. If this is your first go-around, I'd advise against any DC-devoted classes like, say, wizard. Boosting your DC's up is somewhat rough.

If I were designing an "optimum" group with 3 people, I'd probably go for something like this:

1 druid
1 artificer or rogue with an INT focus
1 moderately self-sufficient DPS (ranger, paladin, monk, melee-build favored soul or similar)

If you add 2 more people you might want to pick up a bard (possibly a backup trapper with 2 levels of rogue or artificer) and a sorcerer. That will make for a very well-rounded group where nobody's completely dependent on anybody else.

One thing you might want to consider if you guys are experienced gamers is for everyone to play an Iconic character instead of starting at level 1 with the baby stuff. That will allow you to all start at level 15. However, the 4 iconic races have a fixed class for level 1, so you'd wind up with a group composition that looks a bit like this:

1 Morninglord cleric (your healer)
1 shadar-kai rogue or rogue/something mix (your trapper)
1 bladesworn paladin or paladin/something (your self-sufficient DPS)

and for your optional stuff:

1 Purple Dragon Knight fighter/bard
1 bladesworn paladin/sorcerer

If you do that (and you might find it more fun than starting at level 1!), I would STRONGLY suggest that the first quests you ought to run are the Lordsmarch Plaza quests, starting with Diplomatic Impunity and going through Frame Work, Eyes of Stone, Assault on Summerfield, Blockade Buster, Undermine, and Siegebreaker. These are REALLY fun, ingenious quests that will teach you a TON of game mechanics and also get you Coin Lords favor which gets you an extra inventory bag slot right off the bat. Probably just play them on Normal even if you can open Elite, take it slow, learn your characters, play them again on Hard and Elite difficulty to get a feel for how the game difficulty ramps up and what sorts of things you need to focus on.

From THERE, you can hop out to Gianthold, which has a ton of fun quests where you can continue to learn and also get some pretty solid loot. Orchard of the Macabre is a good place to go after that, although the quests out there can be a bit tougher. The Orchard has good loot, also, and you'll probably need to run all of the quests several times in order to get flagged for Litany of the Dead, which is a good quest to get XP and test out your characters.

After Orchard you will probably want to head out to Vale of Twilight to flag for Shroud.

Gianthold, Orchard, and Vale are also big explore areas where you can run around killing and exploring to get extra XP. There are maps online for all 3 areas on DDO Wiki that show you where the explores and rares are located, or you can just have fun exploring them on your own.

To me, doing this Iconic thing actually sounds a LOT more fun than putzing around at level 1. You start out at level 15 with a decent free gear set, too, so you can just jump in and start playing and learning in some of the best content of the game.

I actually HAVE a character who JUST TR'd into a level 15 iconic character, so if you guys would be interested we could hook up and I could show you around and give you some advice and run some quests together. I'm on the Thelanis server if you're interested.

LoneWolfie
01-18-2014, 12:12 AM
My personal opinion is that if you are bringing new players in... start at level 1 and do all the quests. Just look for quests that are your levels and do them together... take your time and enjoy it. The game is good all through. Most people who recommend going for level 15 start have done the lower stuff 100s of times sometimes.

lugoman
01-18-2014, 01:03 AM
Where to begin your adventure? In another game.

Couldn't resist.

Lonnbeimnech
01-18-2014, 01:06 AM
press p, go to the adventure tab, scroll to the bottom.

Do all the level 1 quests
do all the level 2 quests
do all the level 3 quests
and so on.

I would highly advise NOT making an iconic as a new player. The game gets exponentially more difficult as you gain levels, and you characters become more complex. Plus you would end up skipping over 2/3rds of the story line and might not even realize that there is a story line.

AbyssalMage
01-18-2014, 01:17 AM
I have played a little bit of ddo in the past, but never got too engaged in it due to not having irl people to play with.
Welcome back :) Glad you brought friends, it makes the game "better." You can share your exploits with others that you know and they wont give you the "what the heck are you talking about" look.

Now that i do, what kind of classes would a group of 3-5 people be suited for?
Honestly everyone should play what they think may interest them. But some good classes to get you started and are new player friendly...

Wizard -
18/2 Wizard/Rogue Human- Provides trapping skills, CC, and Survivability
20 Wizard Drow/Human/WF/Elf- Same as above except no trapping

Sorcerer -
20 Sorcerer WF - Survivability, (minor) CC, and DPS
18/2 Sorcerer/Paladin WF - Survivability, (minor) CC and DPS
20 Sorcerer Drow/Human - (minor) CC and DPS

Ranger -
18/1/1 Ranger/Rogue/(Fighter or Monk) Human - Trapping, Ranged, and Melee. Great introduction build.
20 Ranger Human or Elf - Ranged and Melee.

Artificer -
20 Artificer WF - Traps, Ranged, Utility, and Survivable.

Paladin -
18/2 - Paladin/Rogue Human - Hard to kill but your DPS will lack. Still a great "new" player build.
18/2 - Paladin/Monk Human - Read above, difference you will have an extra 2 feats but "a constant reminder your not acting like a monk."

Cleric -
19/1 Cleric/Fighter Dwarf - Swing a big axe and enjoy doing it. Oh, and exceptional healing capabilities.
20 Cleric Human - Invoker Cleric. CC (kinda), Exceptional Healing capabilities, and moderate damage capable.

Favored Soul
20 FvS - Honestly their are a few ways to play this one. Either Melee or Invoker on a first life. Choose your path and go from there. Each race has advantages and disadvantages.

Druid -
18/2 Druid/Monk Human - Wolf Druid; DPS and Heals. CC at later levels (earthquake)
20 Druid Human - Blast things and allow your "army" to mop up. CC at later levels (earthquake)

Rogue -
20 Rogue (not sure on race, possibly Drow and Halfling) - Assassin and Traps. Not "my cup of tea" so others can guide you.
13/6/1 Rogue/Monk/(Druid or Fighter) - Slightly more complex but good acrobat build. Not sure what race would be the best "new player build."

Bard
16/2/2 Bard/Fighter/Rogue Human WC - Bard abilities*, spells, (very minor) CC, Utility
20 Human Bard - Bard abilities*, spells, (minor) CC, Utility

*These abilities can't be stripped by Beholders :)

Good starter quest areas, etc.
Kothos --> Harbor -->Market & Hills --> Catacombs/Sewers (Quest chain in harbor and one in Market) --> Houses

Each House has quests 5 - 11'ish so "popping" into each house is worth it. And there are more places that branch out from the houses (Like 3BC, Delera's GY, Tangleroot, Necro I-IV, Threnal, ect...)

Coin Lords & The Twelve are both 11+ area's (Twelve gives you a free bag though so worth visiting once you arrive from Korthos before heading back to Harbor).

The noobie basis questions.
Again, play what you want :) The above class stuff is just advice. Your more likely to enjoy DDO if you play what you like than trying to make "The Party."
www.DDoWiki.com and www.Youtube.com is your friend when you get stuck on an adventure if you don't mind spoilers :)
Did I mention to play what you like?

EllisDee37
01-18-2014, 03:26 AM
There are a selection of new player builds linked in my signature you might take a look at, even if only for ideas.

foloed
01-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm sure we'll have a fun, and exciting time in game!

Belleya
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
press p, go to the adventure tab, scroll to the bottom.

Do all the level 1 quests
do all the level 2 quests
do all the level 3 quests
and so on.

I would highly advise NOT making an iconic as a new player. The game gets exponentially more difficult as you gain levels, and you characters become more complex. Plus you would end up skipping over 2/3rds of the story line and might not even realize that there is a story line.

I 2nd this.

While you can make Iconic characters, you have no money, no stuff, limited bag and bank space. (long time pack rat) Too many things to learn all at once. Once you have played game for awhile then make level 15 toons. Good luck and have fun!

PsychoBlonde
01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
I 2nd this.

While you can make Iconic characters, you have no money, no stuff, limited bag and bank space. (long time pack rat) Too many things to learn all at once. Once you have played game for awhile then make level 15 toons. Good luck and have fun!

Iconic characters start with a full set of gear. It's not the Best Gear Evarr, but it's totally sufficient if you aren't running an elite streak. Heck, they even start with some free potions and stuff.

It's no worse and no more complicated than starting out with Starter Rags and a Moldy Quarterstaff.

EllisDee37
01-22-2014, 09:32 AM
There is a finite number of quests and raids. (311.) There is no reason for a brand new player to just skip over half of them by starting at level 15.

PsychoBlonde
01-22-2014, 08:21 PM
There is a finite number of quests and raids. (311.) There is no reason for a brand new player to just skip over half of them by starting at level 15.

Is there some kind of inherent value in running every single quest? Some of them are dreadful. Like everything, it depends on what you want to do.

Starting at level 15 is probably a bad idea for people who don't have WASD skills and gaming experience. If you DO have those skills, the level 1-5 content in this game might feel like a painfully dull slog. 90% of the people I know who have tried this game used some version of "slog" or "boring" to describe their initial experience.

AbyssalMage
01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Is there some kind of inherent value in running every single quest? Some of them are dreadful. Like everything, it depends on what you want to do.

Starting at level 15 is probably a bad idea for people who don't have WASD skills and gaming experience. If you DO have those skills, the level 1-5 content in this game might feel like a painfully dull slog. 90% of the people I know who have tried this game used some version of "slog" or "boring" to describe their initial experience.
The lower level quests prepare you for the upper level quests where the difficulty jumps. I do not know how gear is on Iconics (Ive been told it is decent) but without the skill, new players will be bound to quit in disgust.

NPC's at higher levels have Disintegrate, Despell, FoD (or similar abilities), and you have Beholders! You need the success at the lower levels so when you experience more difficult encounters you don't quit in disgust. DDO is unique enough that simply having WASD skills or previous MMO experience is not enough at higher levels. Not to mention that this game is becoming more button happy (although I guess that is a direction of many modern MMO's).

EllisDee37
01-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Some of them are dreadful.It's odd that I have to point this out, but that's subjective. Every quest in the game is loved by somebody. I've even seen people champion Coyle. (Though nobody likes the xp from that 15 minutes.) A new player won't know what type of quests they liked and didn't like if they just skip over them.

Yes, there is inherent value in playing new (to you) content. That's the best part of DDO. Skipping over half the quests when you've never seen them before is inherently bad.

Paleus
01-23-2014, 05:40 AM

A three person group of new players (possibly f2p), I would start with a cleric, a rogue and a fighter. At four people I would add a wizard as a priority and have the fifth be up to you. That is if you are going pure, if you can handle multi-classing and only have three spots definitely splash an 18/2 wizard rogue (several threads explain this splash).

The quests are going to be pretty straight forward as to where you'll go for several levels that I wouldn't worry, just follow the Korthos Story-line which will lead you into the Harbor and then the Marketplace. Definitely look to play waterworks around level 4 - 6 (in the harbor through some sewers to the chain giver) . When you are in a new town area, open the map up and look at all the yellow chalices and speak to those people, also duck into bars looking for people with yellow chalices.

Since you are subscribing, it should be noted that a lot of lower level content is F2P. The unique VIP content that I would suggest playing early on is going to be the Sharn Syndicate Chain in the marketplace. Vault of Night around level 10 and Gianthold around level 15 are also going to be good choices. In between that are a bunch of random quests, and some chains. Some of those chains, like Tangleroot or Sorrowdusk I like, but their level ranges between quests change too much and are in out of the way places for a new player that I wouldn't recommend them straight off. And the Necropolis quests (tombs series) are fun, but they can ramp up the challenge for new players relative to other quests in that range.

Scrag
01-23-2014, 08:02 AM
A three person group of new players (possibly f2p), I would start with a cleric, a rogue and a fighter. At four people I would add a wizard as a priority and have the fifth be up to you.

This. I would make the 5th person a bard. Bards are multifunctional, get high use magic device, and can sort of heal/direct damage/fight and can do crowd control pretty good.

Rogue should focus on intelligence and dexterity, Bards on charisma, Fighter on strength and constitution, Cleric on wisdom and charisma (mostly wisdom), and wizard on intelligence and (for real) constitution.

Why?
Rogue: dexterity gives you "reflex saves" which help you dodge traps. intelligence gives you better skill at searching and disabling traps and things like that. Search every 10 feet (seriously)

Wizard: intelligence gives you spellpoints, and harder to resist spells. On the side, spellcraft skill gives you more spellpower, which make your spells hit harder. Con is because omg do wizards get crappy hitpoints and you could get killed in one shot by an errant trap or bad reflex save on an enemy spell. Bad bad. Get +hitpoint and +spellpoint armor/items/weapons ASAP!!

Cleric: charisma helps you turn undead and gives you more attempts to turn undead. wisdom gives you more spell points, harder to resist spells, and good will saves which help you resist mind-controlly sorts of enemy powers.

Fighters: this is pretty duh. Fighters should be big, tough, and strong. :p

Bard: bards do _everything_. With intelligence, they get boatloads of skillpoints to shove into things like perform and use magic device. As a backup for your rogue and cleric, they can carry around scrolls that will resurrect dead party members. This is good for oh-no situations when the cleric is out of spellpoints to keep people alive, the rogue is dead, and it is down to you and fighter and wizard to somehow kill everything and save the day. You can backup heal (spend points in the heal skill and get the "empower heal" feat!!!), crowd control as a primary or secondary function, and resurrect when things go bad. Charisma gives you bonuses to almost everything, so dumping all your points here and starting with a good intelligence is really good.

Start on normal or casual and just run every quest you can find. The quests give you the levels when you go to the door, so you can decide if it is risky or a sure thing to do. With a well balanced party like this that can survive the absence of one or two members at any time, you might even be able to do hard pretty handily. Elite requires excellent equipment pretty much all the time, so you might want to pass on any of those that have traps, or get used to doing things like running your rogue through a trap, and then kill-res your whole party, where the next person tries to dodge the trap and the rogue resurrects them if it goes bad, and on and on till the whole party is through. Sounds dumb, but hey, it works.

Loromir
01-23-2014, 08:20 AM
You will get lots of varying advice here and most people will have different opinions.

I would suggest to stick to the Basics in the beginning. There are lots of exotic builds out there that are capable of amazing feats, but are very complex.

For a new group of 5...I would suggest the following:

1. Healer - Cleric (This should be you most experienced gamer). Being a dedicated healer in the beginning can be a little tricky and stressful. Wisdom would be your primary stat along with Consitution.
2. Trapper - Rogue or Artificer. Both are capable to very good DPS (Damage per second). Rogues rely on sneak attack damage and will typically be melee characters. Dex,Intel,Con and even str are imprtant stats for a Rogue. If you go Artificer, you will be doing DPS with a repeating crossbow and rune arm from a distance. Intel and Con are primary stats. You want to max out search and disable device...have pretty high spot skills and kindof pick what ever else you want from there.
3. Arcane - Wizard or Sorcerer. Both have the same spellls available. Sorcer can pick the spells they want at level up, but can only switch out spells once every 3 days. Wizards can change out their spells freely at anytime in a tavern or at a rest shrine. Sorcerers have more spell points. For sorcerer, Charisma and Con are the primary stats. Intel and Con for Wizards.
4. Front Line Melee - Fighter or Barbarian...Str and con are the primary stats. Not much else to say here. Two Handed fighting (Great Axe, Great Sword, Flachion) is the easiest route to go. Two Weapon Fighting is viable too, but slightly more advanced.
5. Secondary DPS - Ranger or Paladin. Both of these classes offer some extra DPS, but also add some additional support. Both can help with buffing (Along with Arcane and Healer). Both can offer some light back up healing. Paladin might offer some tanking ability (though not really needed much in DDO). Paladins don't have the best DPS but are pretty sturdy and hard to kill. Rangers can provide a bit more DPS (Both ranged and Melee) but are a little more "squishy" than Paladins. You could also have a Bard in this spot. Bards have access to more buffs than Paladins or Rangers. Bards have More spell points. Bards can offer more healing than Paladins or Rangers. Bards can offer some Crowd Control with Facinate. Bards can still offer some light DPS, but will fall behind Pally and Ranger in DPS.

In all cases...Constitution should be 12 at a bare minnimum and in reality, even higher than that.

Welcome to DDO...this is a great game.

PsychoBlonde
01-23-2014, 09:59 AM
It's odd that I have to point this out, but that's subjective.

If it's subjective that SOME of them are bad, it's also subjective that ANY of them are GOOD, so you have no point whatsoever. But thanks for pointing that out.

Starting at level 15 is not the same thing as "skipping" the game content, as anyone who has ever TR'd could tell you. If they decide to play for any length of time, they'll eventually come around and see everything. Why insist on starting with stuff that's sure to bore an experienced gamer?

If you're just getting started you're not going to be maintaining an elite streak. I find it funny that people are whinging about OMG DISINTEGRATE when kobold shamans in LEVEL 3 QUESTS can one-shot you with LIGHTNING BOLT on elite when you're playing a level 3 character.

It's only on elite that the game really has "difficulty jumps"--and that applies no matter what level you're playing. I see EXPERIENCED players get iced doing some of the low-level quests in this game.

EllisDee37
01-23-2014, 02:02 PM
If it's subjective that SOME of them are bad, it's also subjective that ANY of them are GOOD, so you have no point whatsoever. But thanks for pointing that out.You missed the point entirely. None of them are objectively good or bad; you personally (and I personally) find some of them good and some of them bad. My good ones aren't the same as yours, and same for the bad ones. That's what subjective means.

And yes, the "no point whatsoever" is what I was trying to point out with your advice. You advise to start at level 15 because the low level quests are bad. I'm pointing out that they're bad to you. The OP may love them; nobody will know until they try them. I know more than one person who continually TRs as soon as they hit 20 because they like the low level content but not epic content.

harry-pancreas
01-24-2014, 09:23 AM

tank/DPS/trapping/arcane caster/divine caster (healer)

DPS/tank can be switched with ranged type or mixed (ranger, monk). Monks can be tanks now but bet it's easier for a new player to make it with a paladin or fighter. You will find lot of people on the forums saying tanks are not needed anymore, and is not a lie, but they work awesome on heroic (not epic) content. The people saying they're useless are playing the "end game" so you whouldnt worry about that.

You will start on korthos, then prolly the harbor. Not the better areas but well enough for start. Then i'd go to carnival chain/sentinels in house p and d

quests you "should" do:

baudry's
if you are vip or have the pack, the sharn syndicate
all house k low level (7 and less) quests
catacombs

i strongly suggest to NOT start with iconics at level 15, learn the game first

Cpetrich
01-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Hi guys.new...lost...what level should I stay at Kronos? I beat dragon quest,,,and saved the island..have no idea how to fibd mayors daughter. I'm a level 2 dwarf paladin

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii547/cpeterich/th_glasscaseofemo.gif (http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii547/cpeterich/?action=view&current=glasscaseofemo.gif)

Lonnbeimnech
01-25-2014, 02:38 AM
Hi guys.new...lost...what level should I stay at Kronos? I beat dragon quest,,,and saved the island..have no idea how to fibd mayors daughter. I'm a level 2 dwarf paladin

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii547/cpeterich/th_glasscaseofemo.gif (http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii547/cpeterich/?action=view&current=glasscaseofemo.gif)

You're looking for the quest 'sacrifices'.

http://myddo.webs.com/maps/static/KorthosIsland.jpg

Here's a walkthrough, the guy is way over level tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9o2bE1DsQ

Hawkwier
01-25-2014, 03:31 AM
Game is about adventure and exploring.

Play em all! :)

Cpetrich
01-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Game is about adventure and exploring.

Play em all! :)

Thanks for the help..level 2 ..joined a guild..not sure who it was, all they did was buff me and split

A newbie..lost in dungeons and dragons..

Do they have yeti in the game?

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii547/cpeterich/th_3616029.gif (http://s1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii547/cpeterich/?action=view&current=3616029.gif)