PDA

View Full Version : reforming my lvl 14 paladin, advice needed

vasfii
01-17-2014, 01:28 PM
I gave a long break to ddo (maybe a year or more) and just got back. It seems like there have been some big changes on the enhancement system.

Anyway, i have found my lvl 14 KotC (pure) paladin with his enhancements resetted (~55 AP available i guess)...

I read that end game isn't "evil outsider" centered much now, so i want to transform my pally into some universal DPS instead. Should i splash to fighter from now on or my best bet is going pure from this point?

additional information: i have a lesser heart of wood available and i need something f2p friendly. my toon is 28 point buy.

Ralmeth
01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Welcome back! On a DPS focused Paladin build, ideally you want to go 15 or so levels of Paladin. You should splash in 2 levels of monk and 2 fighter, with the last level going to any of the three (I haven't looks too closely at which one would be optimal). This will net you:
-evasion
-4 feats
-access to fighter and monk enhancements
-not much downside

Unfortunately most of the Defender tree is only good for S&B, but you can still take extra LOH and perhaps sacred armor mastery.

As for the Knight tree, you'll want to max out divine might, exalted smite, 1 tier of divine sacrifice, sealed life (level drain immunity), and max out healing amp. In the core, take up to tier 4. Over in fighter kensai tree make sure to max out haste boost.

If you're planning on playing epics up through epic hard, a paladin build works just fine. If you want to play epic elite I would consider a different primary class.

vasfii
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
You should splash in 2 levels of monk

Thanks for the reply, however i intend to keep this char f2p and i don't have monk. Any alternatives that can compensate dropping the evasion and 2 feats?

Ralmeth
01-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, however i intend to keep this char f2p and i don't have monk. Any alternatives that can compensate dropping the evasion and 2 feats?

Sure, you can go with rogue splash instead. If you want to focus on DPS, you could go with 2-3 Rogue levels for evasion, sneak attack bonuses in the Rogue Assassin tree, ability to max out UMD and lots of skill points to throw around. If you want to do traps, I would go with a deeper rogue splash, like 4 rogue / 1 fighter, so you have enough skill points to max out your trapping skills.

vasfii
01-20-2014, 06:41 AM
oh, whatever just noticed i have an "+20 lesser heart of wood" ready waiting in inventory too lol

thank you turbine :D

Munkenmo
01-20-2014, 07:15 AM
What race were you? And was your paladin a 2wf user or 2hf user?

Ellisdee has a great build for f2p paladins here : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422682-Evasion-Paladin-for-new-players

vasfii
01-20-2014, 11:21 AM
What race were you? And was your paladin a 2wf user or 2hf user?

Ellisdee has a great build for f2p paladins here : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422682-Evasion-Paladin-for-new-players

yeah i have been considering that build too.. it was a human thf paladin.

However now that i have free lesser reincarnation, i probably will go for another build with different clases, focused on end game. all of my gears seem to be obsolete anyway..

Sokól
01-20-2014, 11:34 AM
yeah i have been considering that build too.. it was a human thf paladin.

However now that i have free lesser reincarnation, i probably will go for another build with different clases, focused on end game.

14 Paladin 4 ranger 2 monk with manyshot

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/412000-Pyrene-the-Endgame-Paladin?p=4949874#post4949874

If you want advice adjusting for a 32 pt build just ask.

vasfii
01-20-2014, 12:51 PM
14 Paladin 4 ranger 2 monk with manyshot

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/412000-Pyrene-the-Endgame-Paladin?p=4949874#post4949874

If you want advice adjusting for a 32 pt build just ask.

thanks man, but i still dont have monk. Moreover, since i have access to +20 LR, i will go with something completely different and drop my paladin levels too. people say it's not really useful to take more than 2 paladin levels if you will go melee DPS..

Munkenmo
01-20-2014, 07:14 PM
thanks man, but i still dont have monk. Moreover, since i have access to +20 LR, i will go with something completely different and drop my paladin levels too. people say it's not really useful to take more than 2 paladin levels if you will go melee DPS..

Bear in mind:
Well played & built paladins perform ok in all content.
You're currently lawfull good, so you wont be able to pick up bard, barbarian or druid levels during your lr.

unbongwah
01-21-2014, 09:30 AM
additional information: i have a lesser heart of wood available and i need something f2p friendly. my toon is 28 point buy.

Bear in mind the current Flavor of the Month among melee builds are centered monk / kensei; that's not an option for you if you don't have access to monks, unfortunately. And while pallies are weak on the DPS side, they've still got plenty of survivability; a lot of vets take self-sufficiency for granted, but a first-life F2Per shouldn't, IMHO. And as pointed out, you're LG, which limits your class options when LRing.

Incidentally, you should also have at least one, possibly two Raider's Boxes in your inventory, which can be traded in for a CitW weapon (http://ddowiki.com/page/Caught_in_the_web). They're ML:23 so it'll be a while before you can use them, but it's nice to know you have them standing by.

Sokól
01-21-2014, 02:44 PM

Dude if you are new to the game a Paladin or a Ranger is the class for ya because they got lot of self healing esp. paladins my first melee was a twf 18 paladin 2 monk and he was awesome.

If you want to do something different go 15 ranger 4 paladin 1 fighter this split gives you a lot of free feats and some healing spells.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430998-Noyellowbar-a-100-monk-free-U19-Build-(15Ranger-4Paladin-1Fighter)

elcagador
01-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Dude if you are new to the game a Paladin or a Ranger is the class for ya because they got lot of self healing esp. paladins my first melee was a twf 18 paladin 2 monk and he was awesome.

If you want to do something different go 15 ranger 4 paladin 1 fighter this split gives you a lot of free feats and some healing spells.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430998-Noyellowbar-a-100-monk-free-U19-Build-(15Ranger-4Paladin-1Fighter)

Yeah, that build is very good for a meele that doesn't have acces to monk, and also has some ranged dps covered that is very useful in some epic content. (Until you get your weapons dual Morhn or Balizarde, I guess you can use dual axe of adaxus with imp crit slash that is easier to get)

vasfii
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Bear in mind the current Flavor of the Month among melee builds are centered monk / kensei; that's not an option for you if you don't have access to monks, unfortunately. And while pallies are weak on the DPS side, they've still got plenty of survivability; a lot of vets take self-sufficiency for granted, but a first-life F2Per shouldn't, IMHO. And as pointed out, you're LG, which limits your class options when LRing.

Incidentally, you should also have at least one, possibly two Raider's Boxes in your inventory, which can be traded in for a CitW weapon (http://ddowiki.com/page/Caught_in_the_web). They're ML:23 so it'll be a while before you can use them, but it's nice to know you have them standing by.

yeah i find it a bit annoying that it is hard to find tough melee builds without few levels in monk. My point is, i dont have much time so this probably will my only toon to reach level 20, thus i want it to be worth it.

in terms of self sufficiency, your ranger build looks fun... Or i might throw away the wizard im levelling on another server now and turn this into a pale master too..

i sound like i dont know what i want, but my primary need is a build, that shines after hitting mid level since i already past that phase and have the chance to rebuild now..