PDA

View Full Version : Build Request-Unarmed 19Monk/ 1Rogue (Trapper)

Set
01-15-2014, 09:34 PM
I am currently a Shadar-kai 10 monk/6 rogue. 36 point build. Past Lives: Cleric & Monk.

Tomes: Plus 4 Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, and Wisdom. Plus 2 Strength tome.

Now using THF Staff build. My trapping and UMD are good for my level, but I feel like fighting unarmed. I have a plus 5 Lesser Reincarnation Wood to get rid of 5 rogue levels.

I would rather be an almost pure monk so my unarmed and Stunning Fist damage will be good. What should my stats/feats be so I can still do traps well and have a Stunning Fist that will land?

Is this even possible? I would think my plus 4 Intelligence tome should help my skill points. I'm guessing I would have to give up UMD.....Thanks

PS. What affects Fists of Light? Heal or Spellcraft? The finishing move of my Light, Light, Light currently doesn't Heal me much.

Munkenmo
01-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I am currently a Shadar-kai 10 monk/6 rogue. 36 point build. Past Lives: Cleric & Monk.

Tomes: Plus 4 Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, and Wisdom. Plus 2 Strength tome.

Now using THF Staff build. My trapping and UMD are good for my level, but I feel like fighting unarmed. I have a plus 5 Lesser Reincarnation Wood to get rid of 5 rogue levels.

I would rather be an almost pure monk so my unarmed and Stunning Fist damage will be good. What should my stats/feats be so I can still do traps well and have a Stunning Fist that will land?

Is this even possible? I would think my plus 4 Intelligence tome should help my skill points. I'm guessing I would have to give up UMD.....Thanks

PS. What affects Fists of Light? Heal or Spellcraft? The finishing move of my Light, Light, Light currently doesn't Heal me much.

Fists of light is not effected by spell power, its predtermined based on monk levels. Healing amp helps though.

I dont see the point in 19/1, 18/1f/1rogue is a better choice.

Flip side, ive played an unarmed 19rogue/1monk before, it was an awesome build, stunning fist is a character level calculated dc, so you could consider that too.

Set
01-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Fists of light is not effected by spell power, its predtermined based on monk levels. Healing amp helps though.

I dont see the point in 19/1, 18/1f/1rogue is a better choice.

Flip side, ive played an unarmed 19rogue/1monk before, it was an awesome build, stunning fist is a character level calculated dc, so you could consider that too.

Thanks for the fast answer. I thought Stunning Fist DC was based on Monk level, not character level. Thanks for clarifying.

18 monk/1 fighter/ 1 rogue would be better for the free feat. Especially since I'm using a feat for Past Life Monk for the increased unarmed damage.

Stats? Wisdom on level ups for StunningFist/Quivering Palm DC, or Strength?

Munkenmo
01-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Shadarkai not getting the bonus feat or skill point does make them a bit harder to build around than a human sadly.

What id do:
Stats: 17str, 13dex, 12con, 14int, 16wis, 6cha.
First 2 levelups into strength, rest into wisdom

Skill priority umd, search, disable, concentration, locks, heal, spot.

1 rogue, feat power attack
2 monk, 2wf
3 monk, feat monk past life, stunning fist
4 monk
5 monk
6 monk, cleave
7 monk, deflect arrows
8 monk
9 monk, great cleave
12 monk, improved crit bludgeon
15 fighter, itwf, gtwf
18 monk, dodge
21 overwhelming crit
24 vorpal fists
26 tactics
27 improved martial arts
28 ptwf.

Set
01-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Shadarkai not getting the bonus feat or skill point does make them a bit harder to build around than a human sadly.

What id do:
Stats: 17str, 13dex, 12con, 14int, 16wis, 6cha.
First 2 levelups into strength, rest into wisdom

Skill priority umd, search, disable, concentration, locks, heal, spot.

1 rogue, feat power attack
2 monk, 2wf
3 monk, feat monk past life, stunning fist
4 monk
5 monk
6 monk, cleave
7 monk, deflect arrows
8 fighter, great cleave
9 monk, itwf
12 monk, improved crit bludgeon
15 monk, gtwf
18 monk, dodge
21 overwhelming crit
24 vorpal fists
26 tactics
27 improved martial arts
28 ptwf.

Thanks, that is very nice of you to lay out the build exactly for me. I didn't know Cleave/Great Cleave was good on a TWF build...I'm learning a lot. :)

Munkenmo
01-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks, that is very nice of you to lay out the build exactly for me. I didn't know Cleave/Great Cleave was good on a TWF build...I'm learning a lot. :)

Theyre better on 2hf builds, but are also pre requisites for the feat overwhelming critical. So definately still worth picking up.

Ive become very accustomed to the cleaves though, and would struggle to play without them on my monk now.

Set
01-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks. My only concern is that I won't have enough skill points to keep my trapping abilities up to level.....I may have to forget about UMD for now.

Munkenmo
01-16-2014, 12:49 AM
You are obviously very familiar with DDO and monks, so I have a further question.....What if I didn't get rid of the 5 rogue levels and just saved the plus 5 Heart? Would my Stunning Fist still be good? I know the rogue Mechanic tree gets a plus 6 skills boost. I would go to Tier 5 in monk unarmed tree for self res.

My current leveling order was:
1. Rogue
2-10. Monk
11-15. Rogue
16. Monk

What would new Feat order be if I stayed close to your build? My UMD and Trapping would definitely stay good.....Ohh....but my unarmed damage would be worse and no Quivering Palm.....too many decisions. ..lol

The feat order would only change slightly. If you still splashed 1 fighter the overall feats is unchanged.

Like I said earlier, stunning fist is based on character level, doesnt matter if you take 1 monk or 20 monk.

If you're keeping the rogue levels, id probably go 12monk, 7rogue, 1fighter. Dont sweat the loss of monk dice, you do get a decent boost to sneak attack damage with rogue.

Take the fighter level next, and the last rogue level at 20, youll want it last to round out your trap skills.

Munkenmo
01-16-2014, 12:58 AM
1 rogue, power attack
2 monk, twf
3 monk, monk past life, stunning fist
6 monk, cleave
7 monk, deflect arrows
9 monk, great cleave
12 rogue, icrit bludgeon
15 rogue, itwf
17 fighter, gtwf
18 monk, dodge
19 monk
20 rogue

Set
01-16-2014, 02:28 AM
1 rogue, power attack
2 monk, twf
3 monk, monk past life, stunning fist
6 monk, cleave
7 monk, deflect arrows
9 monk, itwf
12 rogue, icrit bludgeon
15 rogue, great cleave
17 fighter, gtwf
18 monk, dodge
19 monk
20 rogue

Wow, nice. I never thought about losing the monk dice but gaining sneak attack dice....I would lose Master and Grandmaster of Forms....I'm not sure how important thoses Forms are....but keeping UMD is worth it.

Munkenmo
01-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Wow, nice. I never thought about losing the monk dice but gaining sneak attack dice....I would lose Master and Grandmaster of Forms....I'm not sure how important thoses Forms are....but keeping UMD is worth it.

Forms are granted at monk levels 1, 6, 12 & 18. With a 12/7/1 split you'll still have master of forms for free.

If you're running in earth stance, (you should be) master forms is perfect, you get the extra crit multiplier on 19 and 20.

I wouldnt sweat missing out on grand master of forms at all, my own monk is a 16/2/2 and I dont have the grand master feat.

Todkaninchen
01-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Forms are granted at monk levels 1, 6, 12 & 18. With a 12/7/1 split you'll still have master of forms for free.

If you're running in earth stance, (you should be) master forms is perfect, you get the extra crit multiplier on 19 and 20.

I wouldnt sweat missing out on grand master of forms at all, my own monk is a 16/2/2 and I dont have the grand master feat.

You should be offered--at level 18+--the Grandmaster of Forms feat as a selectable feat on a multi-class with monk levels.

So, you could take it with less than 18 monk levels on a level 18+ character...

Munkenmo
01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
You should be offered--at level 18+--the Grandmaster of Forms feat as a selectable feat on a multi-class with monk levels.

So, you could take it with less than 18 monk levels on a level 18+ character...

I could, the point was that its not worth purchasing.

Set
01-18-2014, 10:47 PM
I could, the point was that its not worth purchasing.

Hey fTdOmen, I wanted to follow up and tell you want I did with my monk.

I bought a plus 5 Lesser Wood and got rid of 5 rogue levels. So now I am 1 rogue/15 monk. No regrets. I didn't have enough skill points for UMD but I don't care. Heal and Open Locks are kinda low too but I focused on Concentration, Search, Spot, and Disable Device, more my play style. Added some Balance and Jump points too. I will take rogue at level 20 to finish skills out. Now I get Grandmaster of Forms...:)

I'm missing a Feat because no Fighter level, but I don't mind. I will just skip Dodge.

I followed your builds Ability Stat points exactly. Starting at 13 Dexterity meant I couldn't take TWF until my plus 4 Dexterity Tome kicked in, but it worked out. I did take Improved Sunderland instead of Deflect Arrows because I wanted my Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm to land more. It was so cool having my QP insta kill a mob! Lol

Its also nice having my Fists of Light Finishing move heal me for 50 instead of only 17, lol. The Shintao healing amp helps I know. My friend followed your build too on his TR, except his is a Half- Orc. Thanks again.

Munkenmo
01-18-2014, 11:17 PM
I followed your builds Ability Stat points exactly. Starting at 13 Dexterity meant I couldn't take TWF until my plus 4 Dexterity Tome kicked in, but it worked out. I did take Improved Sunderland instead of Deflect Arrows because I wanted my Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm to land more. It was so cool having my QP insta kill a mob! Lol

Sorry, I should have picked up on that, i've edited the lists a bit to help out your friend.

Glad to hear your build is working out for you.