PDA

View Full Version : Daggers should be centered weapons

Teh_Troll
01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
This is ME saying this . . . I'm "Mr. Nerf monks to the stoneage" and I'm calling for this "buff."

It just simply makes no sense, especially since Short-Swords get this quite easily.

Daggers should be centered, it just makes sense.

Dandonk
01-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Error division by zero

HatsuharuZ
01-13-2014, 11:45 AM
/signed

And handaxes, too. Monks get proficiency with them, but they aren't ki weapons. Also, handaxes are weapons that dwarves can get damage and to-hit bonuses with.

Certon
01-13-2014, 12:06 PM
This is ME saying this . . . I'm "Mr. Nerf monks to the stoneage" and I'm calling for this "buff."

It just simply makes no sense, especially since Short-Swords get this quite easily.

Daggers should be centered, it just makes sense.

I'd go a step further. Monks should be centered with any weapon their base class has natural proficiency with.

phillymiket
01-13-2014, 12:27 PM
I'd go a step further. Monks should be centered with any weapon their base class has natural proficiency with.

Or maybe take a "Zen X" feat to be centered with whatever so that there is a cost involved.

Anyone who is familiar with martial arts knows that all sorts of weapons are used, from large two handers to knives to household objects.

Heck, Hung Gar even uses a Plum Flower Chain Whip just like the Shadar-Kai.

TeacherSyn
01-13-2014, 12:47 PM

I'll take your further step but side-step it a little.

On daggers: I agree. They are light weapons that should be fine if short swords are fine. However, this should be a simple addition to the Ninja Spy tree only. Axes don't feel right...but Monks can pick these up, strangely, which I see as an error. I'd add a feat (similar to Whirling Steel Strike for longswords) that allows centered ability for these.

I would NOT want to see racial proficiencies as centered criteria. Letting dwarves get dwarven axes as a centered weapon?! Holy smokes! Talk about being an overpowered class! And I like Monks.

But I'd also like see a special weapon appear that exists (with varied levels of acceptance) for Monks with a taste for greater defenses: the sai.

I'm not sure if this weapon would work in DDO given that I don't see any disarming ability. It would be great to have in that it would go by a feat (usable only with a sai) that sunders the enemy weapon, allowing it to lose most or all damage for a short time. It would fit the DDO model since monsters can't truly lose their weapons. An old thread discussed the disarm idea. (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/270568-Idea-for-new-Feat-Disarm)

OK, so I've been watching Neo again in the Chateau in "The Matrix Reloaded." That's still quite the fight with sais.

Update: And what about throwing axes and daggers?

kned225
01-13-2014, 12:55 PM
/Signed

Getting sick of trying hunt down good thaumaturgy staves for my arcanes

SirValentine
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Agreed. And just so we're clear about what that is, we're talking about:

Club, Dagger, Heavy Crossbow, Light Crossbow, Handaxe

NOT Dwarven Axes. Or Repeating Crossbows. Or whatever else people are worried about.

Since some already allow being centered, it's really that's just adding:

Club, Dagger, Heavy Crossbow, Light Crossbow, Handaxe

Raoull
01-13-2014, 04:35 PM
If it weren't for knife specialization (Tier 5 Assassin tree), I'd agree completely.

With it though.... seems too much.

As it stands, a rogue/monk multi can either go centered with short swords, or uncentered with daggers. A nice classic defense vs. offense decision.

I guess the ability could be granted via the lvl 18 or 20 Ninja spy abilities without this being a concern.

None of the other weapons mentioned seem problematic.

Therrias
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Midnight_Greetings

Jasparion
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
When Daggers get added, Turbine can fix 10k Stars to just work with Shuriken.

Vellrad
01-13-2014, 05:21 PM
I would NOT want to see racial proficiencies as centered criteria. Letting dwarves get dwarven axes as a centered weapon?! Holy smokes! Talk about being an overpowered class! And I like Monks.

Any monk picking dorf axe would be really underpowered, as the best one is lvl20 templar's justice. And it isn't great.
Dorf axes needs moar love than bards and paladins combined.

Hjarki
01-13-2014, 05:35 PM
There's actually a 'hew closer to PnP' solution to this. Keep daggers as non-ki weapons, but only allow TWF feats to be applied to non-ki weapons (which is pretty close to how it works in PnP).

Jasparion
01-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Any monk picking dorf axe would be really underpowered, as the best one is lvl20 templar's justice. And it isn't great.
Dorf axes needs moar love than bards and paladins combined.

I suspect Keen Edge and Mountain Stance could get some pretty big numbers with Mountain's Fist once they get their Fury/Adrenaline/etc. going.

Guanmagi-1
01-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Just give monks everything and get it done with. Change the name to Monks and Monks Online. I think I still have Gung-Fu on a server somewhere.

Jasparion
01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Just give monks everything and get it done with. Change the name to Monks and Monks Online. I think I still have Gung-Fu on a server somewhere.

Monks & Kobolds would be a better name.

or Monks & Rats.

Vellrad
01-14-2014, 12:48 AM
I suspect Keen Edge and Mountain Stance could get some pretty big numbers with Mountain's Fist once they get their Fury/Adrenaline/etc. going.

Never liked mountain for melee.
Always used it as 3 spellpowers caster stick.

Monks & Kobolds would be a better name.

or Monks & Rats.

Monks and shiradies online: furyshot unlimited.

Teh_Troll
01-14-2014, 08:58 AM
I do love how my suggestion for a reasonable monk buff turns into a monk-bashing thread.

Sometimes the best trolls are unintentional.

TeacherSyn
01-14-2014, 01:12 PM

I find your insight illuminating and I would like to subscribe to your game server.

I do love how my suggestion for a reasonable monk buff turns into a monk-bashing thread.

Sometimes the best trolls are unintentional.

The difference is that we know who YOU are.

When trolls out-troll you, it's Soviet Dungeons & Dragons & Monks Online! :D