PDA

View Full Version : staffwielding cleric try

Silken-Akira
01-13-2014, 06:33 AM
I want to build a toon that is a cleric with a staff so mainly will only have a rogue and cleric classes.
I am however not certain how to split it up.
wanting to hear if someone already tried or any suggestions at all.
For those to advice against, not that I don't want to hear it but I am quite certain to try this flavor even when it will have flaws.

SirValentine
01-13-2014, 06:42 AM
You committed to Rogue? Monk (Henshin Mystic tree) also has a bunch of staff bonuses, and Cleric & Monk have other synergies, too.

Hjarki
01-13-2014, 07:17 AM
I want to build a toon that is a cleric with a staff so mainly will only have a rogue and cleric classes.

This is pretty vague. What do you want to do with your build?

cru121
01-13-2014, 07:40 AM
rogue 2 / cleric 18 (or less cleric and some fighter/wizard/paladin)

Abilities: STR > CHA ~= CON > rest of the stats. Enough wis to cast. If you hope to use evasion, perhaps some dex.
Feats: Cleaves, healer metamagics, perhaps THF line if room
Enhancements:
-Radiant Servant 30+ points for aura
-Thief-Acrobat for +15% attack speed, haste boost, quick strike
-Warpriest probably up to blur/ameliorating, or less
-other useful stuff (human heal-amp..)

stoerm
01-13-2014, 08:04 AM
I won't give a full build but some general ideas for a human 2HF trapper melee cleric for critique. As mentioned, if you go the monk route you'll find more synergies, eg. maintaining the option to go the DC casting route and benefitting from wisdom based monk abilities. You could adapt this old tried and tested build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/164323-Solo-focused-cleric-High-DCs-AC-Saves-Evasion-Melee-Capable). But I digress, here's a non-monk sketch:

Class split

17 cleric 3 rogue. This gives you access to mass heal on the cleric side, while on the rogue side gives you an extra sneak attack die, as well as 3rd tier Thief Acrobat enhancements. You can trade the 3rd rogue level to fighter for an extra feat as well.

Stats

Dex based, enough str for power attack. Example 32 point build with access to a +1 Int tome: 13 str, 16 dex, 14 con, 13 int, 14 wis, 8 cha. You might steal some points from wis and/or con to boost int for more skills. All level ups to Dex.

Feats

1) power attack, cleave
3) empower heal
6) great cleave
9) quicken spell
12) dodge
15) improved critical: bludgeoning
18) mobility

Options to replace replace dodge/mobility: two handed fighting line, maximise just for boosting radiant burst, dragonmark of finding or passage.

Levelling order

Rogue at 1, 4 (skills, dex-dmg) and 14 (cleric raise dead at lvl13).

Skills

Keep disable device and search maximized with double cost and put any left over into concentration during cleric levels. If you are willing to sacrifice your rogue skill scores during cleric levels, spend points in concentration and heal instead and catch up during rogue levels. You'll have to think about how to fit in heal, open lock, spot, umd etc. and if it's possible at all.

Enhancements

First two core thief acrobat enhancements and all optionals up to level 3 except for Charming. For cleric I'd go for radiant servant - the aura is pretty much bread and butter for a melee cleric. Human heal amp, dex, GH.

unbongwah
01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I posted an "Acro-cleric" build here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/434181-17-cleric-3-monk-clonker-quarstaff?p=5220766&viewfull=1#post5220766).

Miow
01-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I posted an "Acro-cleric" build here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/434181-17-cleric-3-monk-clonker-quarstaff?p=5220766&viewfull=1#post5220766).

I like this one

Silken-Akira
01-14-2014, 03:32 AM
thanks for the tips ad links already. saw some things that do made me think. will work out a build in the coming days to post.

LordTigerDawn
01-20-2014, 09:24 PM
I just wanted to chime in:

Consider 12 Cleric, 6 Paladin, 2 Rogue

Do not fall into the Monk trap of newb for stick users. Monk is not a replacement for rogue in stick builds. 15% competence bonus to attack speed and haste boost wins hands down vs monk.

Tier 1 (class has to be rogue choice is 2 lvls or 5 or more for staff specialization)

Tier 2 (apparently cleric, since that is what you are looking for)

Tier 3 (Something that does not take a lot of ap points) Paladin defensive stance takes 18 points for instance...

I hope it helps, do not give into populist opinion (and go monk instead of rogue)... :)

Silken-Akira
01-21-2014, 05:28 AM
I just wanted to chime in:

Consider 12 Cleric, 6 Paladin, 2 Rogue

Do not fall into the Monk trap of newb for stick users. Monk is not a replacement for rogue in stick builds. 15% competence bonus to attack speed and haste boost wins hands down vs monk.

Tier 1 (class has to be rogue choice is 2 lvls or 5 or more for staff specialization)

Tier 2 (apparently cleric, since that is what you are looking for)

Tier 3 (Something that does not take a lot of ap points) Paladin defensive stance takes 18 points for instance...

I hope it helps, do not give into populist opinion (and go monk instead of rogue)... :)

Thanks I build out a 13 rogue, 6 cleric and 1 fighter but am not completely happy with the concept yet, so will build out and give it some thought.

LordTigerDawn
01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks I build out a 13 rogue, 6 cleric and 1 fighter but am not completely happy with the concept yet, so will build out and give it some thought.

You will want to take a look at 13 rogue 7 cleric then... Fighter gives a feat but 7 cleric gives divine power. I played a life like this, but found the ap points were spread too thin to be really good at dps for solo play (group play you usually get your sneak dice) while putting points in radiant. This was before warpriest so I expect it will be harder now... Maybe forgo radiant and go warpriest for ameloriating strike... Curious to see what you come up with.

-Avalon-
01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I came up with a 12 Rogue/5 Cleric/3 Monk (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/435288-Request-Feedback-Friar-Build) build that works pretty well, does a lot more than would be expected. And only has the 3 monk for healing curse attack from light side monk along with the ability to have stances which increase saves/wis/dodge if needed (defensive stance basically), increase attack speed/double strike/dex if not needed (offensive stance).

Otherwise, focus on rogue TA tree and Cleric WP tree...