PDA

View Full Version : bard song durations and fixs

gurth83
01-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Hi,
here is a list of things I consider to be improved or fixed.
1) Northwind
Enhancement description is:
"While Gathering Cold under Skaldic Rage, you deal an additional (2d8/4d8/6d8) Cold damage when you score vorpal hits."
But when it is active bar says its 3d8 while I spend 6 AP for it and shoudl be 6d8...

2) Frolic
"When you sing a Song of Freedom on an ally, they gain a Freedom of Movement for three minutes.
(This is a musical effect and cannot be dispelled.)"
2.1) Triggers with Inspire Heroics song not Song of Freedom, but this way is better (can be cast on self) I would fix description only or make this effect aoe.
2.2) Constant (3 min) duration, not affected by Lingering Songs - way? Make it same as Inspire Heroics duration its annoying when inspier heroic need to be casted because fom ended...
This is fifth level on tree shoud be good not ****.

3) Warmaster
"You inspire martial combat above and beyond. +2 Strength and Constitution.
+10 HP.
Inspire Courage grants an additional +1 damage.
When you Inspire Heroics, for 12 seconds the targeted ally gains +5 Competence bonus to Attack, +5 Competence bonus to Damage, +25 Competence bonus to Physical Resistance and +50 Competence bonus to resist Acid, Cold, Electric, and Fire damage."
3.1) 12 seconds - seriously? What purpose of single target song to gain 12 second boost ??? (I did not check does proce with Epic Edyl Edge as aoe)
3.2) +5 attack and +5 damage do not stack with items accuracy/deadly nor with +2 to attack from Inspire Greatness... usless...
3.3) Again duration not affected by Lingering Songs
Good thing is that resistances to elements stack with spell but if it is the reason for short duration then nerf it and make duration longer. Let it add 20 stackable resist and song last twice longer or let it be affected by Lingering Songs. It is last WC core ability shoudl be awsome and for me it is weak.

Summary. Standarize song durations. As meele bard I want to smash not stand and play song becasue they last 12 second or 20 second or have different duration and I must watch bar all the time. Make game entertaing... Gaming shoudl be fun not constant thinking about time left to songs to refresh.

MadCookieQueen
01-10-2014, 01:08 PM
I agree with you on the bug/description fixes, but Bard songs have always felt problematic and prone to such things. (not cool...but not completely outside the norm)

However...

I find that the different duration and stacking potential of Bard songs to be fairly consistent with the duration and stacking of other buffs (Tensor's, Divine Grace, Displacement...aka commonly used buffs by melee and melee types as cast via scroll or clicky). They all can't be equal duration because they are not equal in effect. The more powerful effect the shorter it's going to last...stinks I know but hey it's part of the game. Even in the PnP DnD their songs lasted at various duration. It adds some buffing complexity making you think about when to use them to the fullest extent.

Yeah songs take a little longer to sing but it's not that far off for gear swap timings and what not to be able to cast that Tenser's Scroll for a Monk (as an example).

When I play my Bard I find that I have to watch my effect bar a lot more often to monitor the songs as they drop off. It makes her a bit more challenging and mindful but because of that it's helped me manage my clickies/scrolls/other effects with my other melees. Kind of a win for better game play across toons.

Also when your Enthrallment just stopped a whole room of trash dead in it's tracks you have a couple seconds to Hulk up and SMASH!

Zagstrum
01-16-2014, 09:28 PM
However...

I find that the different duration and stacking potential of Bard songs to be fairly consistent with the duration and stacking of other buffs (Tensor's, Divine Grace, Displacement...aka commonly used buffs by melee and melee types as cast via scroll or clicky). They all can't be equal duration because they are not equal in effect.

That doesn't appear to be the way song duration is worked out. All core songs are 4 mins, all enh tree songs are 24 + (6 x bard level) secs, except for the new ones which are 3 mins bar Song of Heroism.
My guess is the guy looking at bards was going to swap all enh tree songs to 3 mins so they are more multiclass friendly but ran out of time to finish the bard off.

To add to the OP's list could I also suggest;

Add some way to speed cast songs like a song bar where you do the cast animation for the first song but cast all the songs in the bar.

Replacing what bards lost with the pass: 40 odd positive spell power, 20% song duration, +2 damage to inspire courage, etc

Fix abilities that just plain don't do anything or are unusable because of fundamental design flaws like: boast, warmaster's active and words of encouragement.

Purge the fillers like all those self repeating choices in SS like improved flicker.

You could also reassess crazy prereq chains like those for inspire recklessness.

Finally how about adding some SLA's to SS so its not the most boring (repeating) enh tree in the entire game.