PDA

View Full Version : Repeater reload-fire sequence and abilities

Kirous
01-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Hello

Have the repeaters always worked in such a manner that when you click the left mouse once, there is the reload animation. Then with a second click it fires. If you hold the button down, it goes through the reload-fire sequence and the sequence ends either with the reload or fire phase, depending on when you release button. Has it always been like this, or was it at some point so that with a single click you fire and it automatically reloads after that, so it would be guaranteed that the next time you hit the button it will fire?

I find the way it currently works very annoying as I often forget after running around what the last repeater action was. Sometimes it feels as if even if the last action was reload, the shooting will still begin with a reload if enough time has passed.

The real problem with that are the attack abilities, like Pin / Otto's Whistler from Shiradi or Shrouding Strike from Shadowdancer. If the last repeater action was fire, then when I try to use those abilities, the weapon reloads instead of firing and the ability is wasted as it goes on cooldown without doing anything. In the middle of combat I usually have the mouse button down all the time and I find it very difficult to use those abilities so that they are not wasted with the reload phase.

How do you manage with this?

EDIT: So it has always been like that: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/381352-Shadowdancer-and-crossbows
I guess it's bow and juggernaut for the next life then...

unbongwah
01-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Has it always been like this, or was it at some point so that with a single click you fire and it automatically reloads after that, so it would be guaranteed that the next time you hit the button it will fire?
I believe the current functionality on repeaters was implemented in U11 (http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_11), when arties were introduced, in part to fix an issue which caused shots to disappear.

Bogenbroom
01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
In the days of yore repeaters used to fire 3 bolts in quick succession, as opposed to now where they fire one blast of three bolts (despite what the audios & visuals suggest.) As mentioned above, this was changed to combat disappearing bolts.

Red_Knight
01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I find the reload thing to be not that big of a deal. If I can't remember if I reloaded last or not, and am between fights, I can easily afford to try firing. If I didn't reload yet, great. If I had then I just reload after the firing. It's not like bolts are in short supply for an artificer.

ChicagoChris
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Hello

The real problem with that are the attack abilities, like Pin / Otto's Whistler from Shiradi or Shrouding Strike from Shadowdancer. If the last repeater action was fire, then when I try to use those abilities, the weapon reloads instead of firing and the ability is wasted as it goes on cooldown without doing anything. In the middle of combat I usually have the mouse button down all the time and I find it very difficult to use those abilities so that they are not wasted with the reload phase.

Agreed - Pain in the keister. I would hope the Devs take a look at this and make any of the attack clickies "Fire -OR- Reload and Fire".

Kirous
01-08-2014, 02:12 AM
I find the reload thing to be not that big of a deal. If I can't remember if I reloaded last or not, and am between fights, I can easily afford to try firing. If I didn't reload yet, great. If I had then I just reload after the firing. It's not like bolts are in short supply for an artificer.

It's all fun until you hit the epic levels and get these destiny ranged attack abilities. Or if you have multiclassed and have such from some other classes' enhancement trees.

With my pure arti, I did not notice this until I had worked my way to Shadowdancer and had "Shrouding Strike/Shot: Active Ability: (Cooldown: 15 seconds) Melee or Ranged Attack: Perform an attack with +[1/2/3][W] damage. On hit: Mark target. It if dies within the next [6/8/10] seconds, gain a Shadow Charge".

Or with Otto's Whistler, you need to wait until the target starts moving and then immediately use the ability to make it dance, before the target stops moving. Hard to adjust reload-sequence successfully there.

For the first shot before you pull the mobs you can fire those test rounds that and that's what I've also been doing.

The twitch firing with repeater is silly also. It shouldn't be so that if you time your mouse clicks right you shoot some 15% faster with normal attack.

Red_Knight
01-08-2014, 06:15 AM
It's all fun until you hit the epic levels and get these destiny ranged attack abilities. Or if you have multiclassed and have such from some other classes' enhancement trees.

With my pure arti, I did not notice this until I had worked my way to Shadowdancer and had "Shrouding Strike/Shot: Active Ability: (Cooldown: 15 seconds) Melee or Ranged Attack: Perform an attack with +[1/2/3][W] damage. On hit: Mark target. It if dies within the next [6/8/10] seconds, gain a Shadow Charge".

Or with Otto's Whistler, you need to wait until the target starts moving and then immediately use the ability to make it dance, before the target stops moving. Hard to adjust reload-sequence successfully there.

For the first shot before you pull the mobs you can fire those test rounds that and that's what I've also been doing.

The twitch firing with repeater is silly also. It shouldn't be so that if you time your mouse clicks right you shoot some 15% faster with normal attack.

I don't use the mouse for controls most times. Instead I use a standard WSAD control setup with q being turn left and e being turn right. I then use numpad enter for attacking, and the numpad numbers for my 10 'regular use in combat' abilities. Since I am depressing the button for each fire and reload, I'd imagine that's not as big an issue for me. I'm actually not a fan of the mouse controls in DDO.

Kirous
01-08-2014, 06:42 AM
I don't use the mouse for controls most times. Instead I use a standard WSAD control setup with q being turn left and e being turn right. I then use numpad enter for attacking, and the numpad numbers for my 10 'regular use in combat' abilities. Since I am depressing the button for each fire and reload, I'd imagine that's not as big an issue for me. I'm actually not a fan of the mouse controls in DDO.

That could be true with your kind of play style. Have you noticed you shoot next round a bit faster/earlier when you press enter to fire at the right time just when the reload animation has finished? I stumbled uopn that when I was looking for information on one other thing. Twitch firing is explained in here https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/403841-Artificer-feats-rapid-shot
You might find playing with that interesting with your play style.

Red_Knight
01-11-2014, 01:46 AM
That could be true with your kind of play style. Have you noticed you shoot next round a bit faster/earlier when you press enter to fire at the right time just when the reload animation has finished? I stumbled uopn that when I was looking for information on one other thing. Twitch firing is explained in here https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/403841-Artificer-feats-rapid-shot
You might find playing with that interesting with your play style.

Twitch fire probably wouldn't improve my DPS much. Mostly because I'm either doing so accidentally already, or sometimes focusing more on staying out of melee. My iron defender is set up for tanking, and I'd prefer it to have the majority of the enemy's focus... not me. After all, it has better AC and more hit points then I do.