PDA

View Full Version : Seeking some general advice for playing a Mystic

Kylric
01-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Hello folks,

Ever since Mystic came out I wanted to try it, so I just TR’ed and could use some general advice.

Some info: 36 point build, Half-orc, Light and I normally solo. I don’t know if I’m going to go past 20, but we shall see. I think I started him with a 17 str, 14 dex, 15 con, 16 wis. I also have +5 tomes.

As for feats, I’ve already taken power attack, cleave, dodge and stunning blow.

Here are some general questions:

- Should I advance in Strength or Wisdom?
- Any enhancements that are a waste or broken in the mystic tree? I do plan on taking a few enhancements from Shintao as well.
- I do plan on staying with q-staffs. Yes, I believe hand wraps are better, but I want to try something different for now. Are there any staffs I should be looking for?

Feel free to provide other opinions for questions I’m not asking, but should.

Thanks in advance!

Rhysem
01-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Bloody Shadow Staff. Its like your beloved vampiric stonedust, though without the stone/stun parts. You could in theory make a petrifying shadow staff, but it only has the lower stone prison, doesn't have stoneskin proc, nor stunning, so I made it up bloody for maximum heal stick goodness, with the expectation I'll switch into and out of it as needed, rather than all the time line the stonedust.

Theurgic stave isn't bad (improved crit profile, adamantine, two slots) but it is out of threnal.

Might want to splash a rogue or three if you're willing to go not-pure, because the thief acrobat qstaff line stacks with the mystic line, and you pick up an always-on 15% attack speed in T1, and a "90% uptime" +25% attack speed morale bonus cooldown attack in T2.

I'm actually planning a next life fighter 2/rogue 3/monk 15 staff mystic -- biggest problem is actually too much I want to take and not enough enhancement points to take it, between t5 mystic, earth stance shintao, shadow fade ninja spy, there's very little points left to sink in to either racial or thief-acro trees, beyond what is 'required'. I'd drop one of the two, except I'm probably going to be doing it as a PDK iconic, so I'm starting with fighter 1 at the minimum. I might do f1/r3/m16, since I don't really have the points to invest in kensai anyway.

TeacherSyn
01-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Hello folks,

Ever since Mystic came out I wanted to try it, so I just TR’ed and could use some general advice.

Some info: 36 point build, Half-orc, Light and I normally solo. I don’t know if I’m going to go past 20, but we shall see. I think I started him with a 17 str, 14 dex, 15 con, 16 wis. I also have +5 tomes.

As for feats, I’ve already taken power attack, cleave, dodge and stunning blow.

Here are some general questions:

- Should I advance in Strength or Wisdom?
- Any enhancements that are a waste or broken in the mystic tree? I do plan on taking a few enhancements from Shintao as well.
- I do plan on staying with q-staffs. Yes, I believe hand wraps are better, but I want to try something different for now. Are there any staffs I should be looking for?

Feel free to provide other opinions for questions I’m not asking, but should.

Thanks in advance!

Invest in both STR and WIS. Your WIS defines your maximum ki pool, and you'll want as much as possible to weaponize it and heal yourself. But quarterstaves are generally STR weapons and so a higher STR is needed for greater damage. Higher STR is also essential for Stunning Blow to even have a chance. I eventually dropped it, realizing that a Mystic isn't nearly good as a stun-bot Monk, in favor of more and more damage. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know of any adverse enhancements I'd avoid based on my Mystic's play. While unarmed fighting is generally the best a Monk can do, for the Mystic with the right weapon, this isn't always the case. My Mystic has greater criticals and sustained damage (despite having slightly slower attacks than unarmed) than my tanker Monk in Mountain Stance.

Staves that you should collect over your life include:

* Pillar of Light: This ML2 staff from the Catacombs is perfect for swatting more undead later in Delera's Tomb, boosts your spell power, and has an augment slot for more damage.
* Theurgic Stave (http://ddowiki.com/page/Theurgic_Stave): One of the toughest parts of being a Mystic is that staves wear out very quickly if they are wooden. This is one of several staves that are quite durable. It's adamantine, a ML8 staff, has Elemental Bane and two augment slots, making it a good elemental/construct beater early on.
* Arlyn's Staff (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Arlyn%27s_Staff): A good ML6 with Force damage and an augment slot.
* Witching Hour: Another adamantine ML8 staff, with Ghost Touch, an augment slot, and spell power boosts to negative energy damage.
* Dreamspitter: While this popular ML14 "woo-woo" stick has less "woo" with the U20.1 changes, it's a VERY durable stick that will only take damage if you die. Get this one and you're all but set to L20. Unlock it in the Dreaming Dark series and Reaver's Fate series for more happy.
* Stout Oak Walking Stick: This ML20 baby packs a massive hit and is easy to obtain by Villagers of ES commendations. Best critical damage comes from this.
* Sireth: This is a slashing quarterstaff from "Caught in the Web." If you've not used your Raider's Box on your character, get this from that box. Arguably, it's the best staff in the game.

You should drop a few points into Shintao's core abilities as you see fit not only for better defenses or attack but for healing amplification, as you get none on a pure Mystic that's not human or half-elf.

While some players report bugginess with Whirlwind Strike, I've found it works quite well with a staff. It's a consideration but having both Cleaves should be sufficient.

Firewall
01-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Harder to get but great if you have it: Breeze from the Abbot raid (http://ddowiki.com/page/Breeze)

It uses DEX for attack and damage.

Son_of_the_South
01-08-2014, 11:26 PM
If you want to use staffs, then you cant go past this one for twink gear;

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Chieftain%27s_Spear

It's tricky to get. It's a long swim out to the rare and i estimate it will take you around 12 appearances of the rare (which means many more runs out there, although the rare seems to pop up fairly frequently) before you see it in the chest) but, for the ML, it's an amazing weapon.

Rhysem
01-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Wonder what Chieftain's Spear will look like when they epicize 3bc.

Kylric
01-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks folks. I never realized how easy these twigs...errr staves brake. I do need to find a good one for sure.

Truly appreciate the comments above.

Rhysem
01-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Just remember unlike wraps monks, you can't just go punching oozes.

Gets me every time I'm on someone other than my main (a wraps monk).

Todkaninchen
01-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Just remember unlike wraps monks, you can't just go punching oozes.

Gets me every time I'm on someone other than my main (a wraps monk).

You are a monk...

You may not be as unarmed-nasty as a shintao or ninja, but for oozes (and rust monsters and gargoyles) that eat your staves, flip in a set of handwraps for a few moments and then back to the beating stick, eh?

Also Rahl's Might (http://ddowiki.com/page/Rahl%27s_Might) might be of use.

It's got a higher damage die (1d11) and crit multiplier (x3) with additional slashing and piercing damage types for DR braking. There are 5 types that can be upgraded in Dreaming Dark. Force (-> Force burst), Shocking (-> Shocking burst), Axiomatic (-> Axioumatic Burst), Bleed (adds puncturing), and Impact (adds maiming). It also has improved destruction on it and deception as well.

Be careful though. Base models are BTA, but when you upgrade them, they become BTC, so better as twink gear but still useful until you get it upgraded.

HAven't tried it, but Luminous Truth (http://ddowiki.com/page/Luminous_Truth) Might be useful on non-fire resistant enemies. Should boost your flame SLA's and has a 10% base crit range with Flaming burst and 1d6 light damage as well.

NaturalHazard
01-19-2014, 07:21 PM
* Arlyn's Staff (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Arlyn%27s_Staff): A good ML6 with Force damage and an augment slot.

how rare is the damn rare that has this in its chest? been in there 20 times last night didnt see the damn rare once, that elf sorc. I like the *3 multiplier its like rahls might,

I got 2 rahls might 1 force the other bleed going to upgrade the force one,

Got a few dreamspitters going to fully upgrade one, got the reaver stuff for it just got to run some dreaming dark,

Got luminous truth. Only problem has been getting the lower level staffs.

Scrag
01-20-2014, 10:40 AM
how rare is the damn rare that has this in its chest? been in there 20 times last night didnt see the damn rare once, that elf sorc. I like the *3 multiplier its like rahls might,

I got 2 rahls might 1 force the other bleed going to upgrade the force one,

Got a few dreamspitters going to fully upgrade one, got the reaver stuff for it just got to run some dreaming dark,

Got luminous truth. Only problem has been getting the lower level staffs.

I am using a 1.5d6 wood stick with impulse/combustion/someotherstuff. How are you equipping a monk such that you are getting the necessary +force, +universal, and +fire spellpower to feed incinerating wave and the jar thing?

NaturalHazard
01-20-2014, 07:06 PM
I am using a 1.5d6 wood stick with impulse/combustion/someotherstuff. How are you equipping a monk such that you are getting the necessary +force, +universal, and +fire spellpower to feed incinerating wave and the jar thing?

Sorry man im thinking of tr ing into a henshin monk/rogue with 7 pally for pally past life feat, so im not sure, theres a staff luminous truth or whatever its level 16 you get from spinner of shadows I think, and its got some nice fire casting boosting stuff on it, and also has a nifty 19-20 threat range.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Luminous_Truth

Rhysem
01-20-2014, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't think those abilities would ever become your bread and butter killing abilities. I'd focus your staff to melee damage and if you can pick up combustion on one too or pick it up via cannith crafting, that's great.

Scrag
01-21-2014, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't think those abilities would ever become your bread and butter killing abilities. I'd focus your staff to melee damage and if you can pick up combustion on one too or pick it up via cannith crafting, that's great.

Actually, I just picked up more sp (still not near max sp) at 18 and my first greensteel item, and I have to say, between incinerating wave, ek cleave, ek tempest, cleave, gc, and every thf/most of the staff +damage bits +rage +blur, I do pretty acceptable. On elite quests, I hold my own and fall in the middle of the pack consistently for kill rates.

At 20, my equipment finally comes into its own, as I get off generic crappy bladeforged equipment. My big hole in my equipment is a holy symbol of lolth, and hell if I know how I am going to get one of those. :(

edit: No, absolutely not. A pure mystic trying to rely on core ki abilities will just never make it through content, no matter how jacked up your spellpower is....

NytCrawlr
01-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Disregard, not awake yet, wrong staff.

NaturalHazard
01-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Actually, I just picked up more sp (still not near max sp) at 18 and my first greensteel item, and I have to say, between incinerating wave, ek cleave, ek tempest, cleave, gc, and every thf/most of the staff +damage bits +rage +blur, I do pretty acceptable. On elite quests, I hold my own and fall in the middle of the pack consistently for kill rates.

At 20, my equipment finally comes into its own, as I get off generic crappy bladeforged equipment. My big hole in my equipment is a holy symbol of lolth, and hell if I know how I am going to get one of those. :(

edit: No, absolutely not. A pure mystic trying to rely on core ki abilities will just never make it through content, no matter how jacked up your spellpower is....

epic that staff I linked?

nibel
01-26-2014, 10:30 AM
My experience with an acrobat was that any staff with a hardness under 20 breaks constantly. Unfortunatelly, this includes a lot of named staves you might want to use, like greensteel or dreamspitter. The issue solved itself when I used the Adamantine Ritual (http://ddowiki.com/page/Adamantine_Ritual) on them, so their battle damage went more on pair with the other melee weapons I use.

The issue is NOT durability. Is Hardness. Hardness is linked to the weapon material (most staves are wood) and enchantment bonus. When you hit any mob with a higher DR than your weapon hardness, it takes damage on every hit. You can easily check it smacking any weapon against a stone form gargoyle (DR 100).

Todkaninchen
01-30-2014, 07:08 PM

My henshin is still low level, but I flipped my level 26 ninja spy over to henshin for a few days to see if I could level legendary dreadnought faster with it.

The main gear swap--other than using staves--I made was flipping a Spidersilk robes (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Spidersilk_Robes) in as armor in lieu of Spider-spun Caparison (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Spider-spun_Caparison). Attribute-wise, Wurley started as a DEX/WIS dark path ninja with cleave/great cleave, etc., so I was okay on WIS-based and monk-based level items, but pretty light on the STR side of the house.

What I noticed was--even with a Potency 72 item and Stout Oak Walking stick (http://ddowiki.com/page/Stout_Oak_Walking_Stick) adding a few points of implement-based spell power--I wasn't hitting for a massive amount of damage, but I was able to generate ki pretty rapidly and spam things like Incinerating Wave and Void Strike pretty continuosly with cleave/great cleave/Fists of Iron, even without Grandmaster of Flower boosts (albeit with Dance of Flowers and Enlightenment twisted in). For somewhat extended lengths of time, I could run light the candle while chaining those moves and the Legendary Dreadnought cleaves as well.

I switched back though, not so much because of the ki-driven attack issues, but because I gave up a large bit of dodge to do it and vorpals on my shortswords/kamas I used for beating down end bosses. That and it was annoying--to me--to have to re-alot most of my hotkeys for staff-fighting vs. unarmed fighting...

(I usually spam stunning fist/cleave/great cleave/fists of iron on non-red names for the stuns, then cleave/great cleave/fists of iron with short swords or DR-breaking kamas on bosses, as necessary.)

Scrag
02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
My henshin is still low level, but I flipped my level 26 ninja spy over to henshin for a few days to see if I could level legendary dreadnought faster with it.

The main gear swap--other than using staves--I made was flipping a Spidersilk robes (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Spidersilk_Robes) in as armor in lieu of Spider-spun Caparison (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Spider-spun_Caparison). Attribute-wise, Wurley started as a DEX/WIS dark path ninja with cleave/great cleave, etc., so I was okay on WIS-based and monk-based level items, but pretty light on the STR side of the house.

What I noticed was--even with a Potency 72 item and Stout Oak Walking stick (http://ddowiki.com/page/Stout_Oak_Walking_Stick) adding a few points of implement-based spell power--I wasn't hitting for a massive amount of damage, but I was able to generate ki pretty rapidly and spam things like Incinerating Wave and Void Strike pretty continuosly with cleave/great cleave/Fists of Iron, even without Grandmaster of Flower boosts (albeit with Dance of Flowers and Enlightenment twisted in). For somewhat extended lengths of time, I could run light the candle while chaining those moves and the Legendary Dreadnought cleaves as well.

I switched back though, not so much because of the ki-driven attack issues, but because I gave up a large bit of dodge to do it and vorpals on my shortswords/kamas I used for beating down end bosses. That and it was annoying--to me--to have to re-alot most of my hotkeys for staff-fighting vs. unarmed fighting...

(I usually spam stunning fist/cleave/great cleave/fists of iron on non-red names for the stuns, then cleave/great cleave/fists of iron with short swords or DR-breaking kamas on bosses, as necessary.)

Out of curiosity, how did you loose out on dodge? Oh, hm, never mind I think. I have a 24% dodge, but then I have dodge, mobility, and spring attack...
With a potency item of 100 (lolths trinket thingy), universal spell power (seven ideals belt, best I got), and force/fire power from henshin/eldritch knight, you can do stupid things like push 1-7 while pointed at a particularly tough mob in a crowd and totally wipe out everything. I did the math, and its on average about 1500 damage to everything around you in under 3 seconds, plus another (for me) 200-600 damage from iron fists (depends on if it crits or not). I am also using the walking stick, cause frankly it rocks.

At 22, I am absolutely in love with my char. I do way more damage than what I initially thought, and it just makes me stupidly happy to nuke hoards of trash with ease. 24 prr and 24 dodge goes a looooong way to keeping me alive, especially when tacked in with an epic arti2 ring and bladeforged scribe. :)

edit: see post in noob section: halp! too much buttons, i haz them! -_- This sort of thing requires lots and lots and lots of button pushing.