PDA

View Full Version : A few monk questions about Feats.

humbleroller
01-01-2014, 04:54 AM
My monk is on his 3rd life of monk. I love to play them but still dont understand them completely.

What is the chance of hitting with the offhand with a monk ?
Do I need to take Two Weapon Fighting/Imp 2WF/Greater 2WF anyway ?
Since the change to Monk past life, is it worth using a feat slot for the active past life feat if i am going to be a monk anyway?

You recall more about your past life as a monk. You have +2 to your Concentration skill, deal increased unarmed damage (one step higher than normal on the unarmed combat chart), and can enter an evasive trance once per rest, granting the evasion feat for a short period of time (20 seconds). (When you make a successful Reflex save to avoid damage, you suffer no damage instead of half damage.) it seems to give me exactly the same as the passive bonus with the added bonus of +2 to Concentration.
I will have evasion as a monk anyway.

Does Oversized Two Weapon fighting do anything for handwraps ?
Im thinking no, but i would like to hear someone else say it.
the wiki is weak when it comes to the explanation.

When wielding a one handed weapon in your off-hand, you take penalties for fighting with two weapons as if you were wielding a light weapon on your offhand.
is this saying "you no longer have a penalty for having something bigger than a light weapon in your offhand" ?

Do people still play Dex based monks?

Ive been playing STR based with Dex and Wis for the AC and not much else.

Will I ever look this cool without my shirt on?

http://i.imgur.com/Y7PLp31.jpg?1
(hint: the answer is no)

Pala-forged
01-01-2014, 05:08 AM
1) Same as normal - 20%
2) Yes, take those damn feats. Each adds 20% offhand.
3) It gives a die step - might be worth it, depending on what feats you prefer. (Most of my lives are unarmed X and I don't take it. Hint hint.)
4) It does nothing irrc.
5) For flavour, yes. I'm sure somebody has a dex based shortsword monk somewhere with stupidly high evasion. Mine are all wis based with some str for dps. (Some have overwhelming critical, just because OC wizards are fun)
6) Yes, you will look that cool... if you quit DDO and start working out.

Also, wisdom for stunning fist+instakill+stuffs+will save, dex for reflex+GTWF. Str for to-hit and dmg mod.

Nothing for AC. Ever. Burn it.

Munkenmo
01-01-2014, 05:11 AM
The default off hand attack rate is 20% off your main hand attack rate, this is boosted by 20% for each 2wf feat you take.

You don't "need" to take the 2wf feats for unarmed combat, but I highly recommend you do as you'll get 60% more off hand attacks with all 3.

The monk past life feat is basically an extra .5[w], it is arguably worth taking, I don't have it on my monk, but I understand why others do.

some people still play dex based monks, imo that is a mistake. I'd recommend an unarmed g2wf, wis based monk with enough str to qualify for overwhelming critical.

Oversized 2wf has no effect at all with unarmed combat.

humbleroller
01-01-2014, 06:02 AM
thank you both :)

Pala-forged
01-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Just to throw my 2c in again, in regards to fTdOmen suggesting OC is the go.

I feel it's only worth it with +4 (or +5 preferably) tomes. As I said, I did it on my Wizard (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425065-Yet-another-unarmed-palemaster), but that had the tomes... and I was bored. It cost me 2 stunning fist DC, which may or may not be worth it for you.
And I had to throw away a few feats that I could've spent on.. uh.. something. Not sure what though.