PDA

View Full Version : Xbows, looted and crafted

oaxadan
12-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Hey Folks!

So while I'm pushing the mid-teens on my Arti, I still consider myself new to the class, and am still unfamiliar with many of its nuances. Its a great blast though - loving the Artificer.

Anyway, this is my first life on him, and I don't have any twink gear, so most of my items are looted/bought off the auction. But I do dabble in crafting, and wanted to produce a nice xbow for him - just curious what folk out there think are the good qualities in a repeater - i.e., what weapon qualities are valued? Which ones are kinda useless?

For example, seeker, heartseeker; keen II vs. some kind of elemental burst; good, metaline, righteousness, etc. etc.

Also, are there any specific named item/xbows a wannabe ranged dps Arti should farm for?

Thanks in advance!

Kriogen
12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Craft 'Holy Heavy Repeter of Pure Good'. Not +1 or +2. Nothing. Bolts (ammo) doesn't stack with weapon enchantment anyway. Thats all you need.

For tricks like Metaline, just cast a spell Silver Weapon. Its what Artificers do, right? You could also get enough House D favor to buy silver/coldiron/adamantine bolt. But as I said, you can just cast a spell for this.

Named item? Needle.

oaxadan
12-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Craft 'Holy Heavy Repeter of Pure Good'. Not +1 or +2. Nothing. Bolts (ammo) doesn't stack with weapon enchantment anyway. Thats all you need.

For tricks like Metaline, just cast a spell Silver Weapon. Its what Artificers do, right? You could also get enough House D favor to buy silver/coldiron/adamantine bolt. But as I said, you can just cast a spell for this.

Named item? Needle.

Great, thanks man. Yeah, I just recovered from a brain fart and realized my conjured bolts give me all the enhancement to attack I need.

rcmcneil
12-30-2013, 09:56 AM
My personal favorite repeater for low/mid-level questing has got to be a crafted, no enhancement bonus, wounding of puncturing. With Masterful Craftsmanship, it drops down to ML6. After maybe 1 reload, your target hits 0 Constitution, & then stands there doing nothing but taking +50% damage from being helpless (if they haven't already died by then).

For mid/high level questing I'd suggest a triple positive repeater. Its damage is good against just about everything, but especially against undead, which is traditionally a bit difficult to deal heavy ranged damage to. It's also a whole lot of good damage, which means all you have to do is throw a metal bypass spell on it to blow right by DR.

My pure artificer life I really only used those repeaters plus Epic Hellfire Crossbow (way back before MotU), though now Needle from Caught In the Web is a nice addition. Try and acquire the runearms and put Masterful Craftsmanship on them, just about all have decent effects and damage boosts, and are BtA, so once you outlevel them you can throw them to a mule. I know you asked about repeaters, but the combination of the repeater & runearm can be vital to party survival, as well as your own fun.

oaxadan
12-30-2013, 01:34 PM
My personal favorite repeater for low/mid-level questing has got to be a crafted, no enhancement bonus, wounding of puncturing. With Masterful Craftsmanship, it drops down to ML6. After maybe 1 reload, your target hits 0 Constitution, & then stands there doing nothing but taking +50% damage from being helpless (if they haven't already died by then).

For mid/high level questing I'd suggest a triple positive repeater. Its damage is good against just about everything, but especially against undead, which is traditionally a bit difficult to deal heavy ranged damage to. It's also a whole lot of good damage, which means all you have to do is throw a metal bypass spell on it to blow right by DR.

My pure artificer life I really only used those repeaters plus Epic Hellfire Crossbow (way back before MotU), though now Needle from Caught In the Web is a nice addition. Try and acquire the runearms and put Masterful Craftsmanship on them, just about all have decent effects and damage boosts, and are BtA, so once you outlevel them you can throw them to a mule. I know you asked about repeaters, but the combination of the repeater & runearm can be vital to party survival, as well as your own fun.

Very cool, thanks man! Yeah, I was going to put some kind of crafted shard on my Ruenarm, but I came up against a wall of hesitation, and worried about dropping a poorly chosen shard into it.

cdr
12-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Try to get a Doublecross Bow from Spinner of Shadows. Kind of low drop rate though.

cdbd3rd
12-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Very cool, thanks man! Yeah, I was going to put some kind of crafted shard on my Ruenarm, but I came up against a wall of hesitation, and worried about dropping a poorly chosen shard into it.

Also have to watch for the increased min level of your 'arm when you do that.

As a non-raider, (meaning no Alchemical/Greensteel), my Arty made it to 20+ using a good Shock Burst of Heartseeker, with festival icy burst and binding force hit mods on it. But if you raid, then it can easily be beaten by a GS repeater.

A deep quiver with stacks of crafted bolts for extra elemental damage when needed, too.

voodoogroves
12-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Holy Burst of Greater Evil Outsider Bane is nice to have in your toolbox.

I'm also fond of leveling with an Aligned of Greater Construct Bane.

Todkaninchen
01-15-2014, 02:14 PM

Don't forget your Tira's Splendor (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Tira's_Splendor) to go with your Triple Pos!

Lowest tier 5 charging rune arm (at ML 15), uses light (breaks most DR), has healing amplification and deathblock, plus it adds Silver DR breaking... without the spell...

So you get silver + good DR and can still throw a deadly weapons and insightful damage on the bow to boot!

Another favorite of mine, in green steel, is Ooze II. Basically, cold and acid damage (so anything that pops "Immune" to all of your triple positive special damage, usually takes damage), plus a 30% chance of -5 AC to the target. But, most fun are spawned CR 12 Black puddings.

They don't do much damage, but what they do for you is be durable aggro sponges and help keep you and your dog alive by clogging the enemy AI's target list, especially if your dog is a bluffer.

So, not as much damage as something like a Lit II, but more survivability for you.

Phaeton_Seraph
01-18-2014, 03:29 AM
The Silver Slinger, both heroic and epic. Because it's Good, Blunt and Silver, it's easy to buff for DR-breaking.

If you can craft it, Metalline of Pure Good/Righteous; good general purpose DR breaker (if you don't have a Triple Pos or a Silver Slinger), and useful for the Stormreaver.

If you're an Arcanotech, a x3 mystical crystal alchemical repeater Air/Air/Fire. It will boost your electrical and force spell power and criticals and the Arcane Augmentation works on most Artie spells (not blade barrier, but tiers 1 & 2 on a mystical crystal repeater help that and your Tact Dets). Treat it as a caster's stick that just happens to go pew pew. Cast Good on it and it great for farming in Dreaming Darkly.

If you want to farm the Subterrane - Oozebane. Kill the living spells from afar.

When you can use Prismatic Strike, Craft/Augment something with perform/sonic/cacophony. This may be part of where you craft onto a rune arm. It may seem like a lot for one spell, but it's a great spell. Things save against the sonic component much less than the force part of the Strike or Detonations.

Not weapons, but easily farmable on other toons are the Tinker's Googles/Gloves.